PDA

View Full Version : A kestrel

farmdogfan
March 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM
A kestrel with the sea in the background.

Chrissy
March 15th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Wow that's a fantastic shot. Well done you!

farmdogfan
March 15th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Thank you Chrissy.

tandaina
March 15th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Wow.

VertOlive
March 15th, 2015, 03:22 PM
He looks like he's actually about to speak to the viewer...!

Deb
March 15th, 2015, 04:12 PM
What a wonderful photograph!

Chrissy
March 15th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I'm a keen birdwatcher, and take lots of photos of birds. Birds of prey are my favourite types of bird to photograph.

I use a shot I took of an Osprey for my screen saver. Here it is, but I got nowhere near as close as you did to your Kestrel:

farmdogfan
March 15th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments.

A fine osprey you have there Chrissy, it is one of my favorite birds.

I was´nt that close, so i had to crop it a fair bit, here is the original uncropped shot (just resized).

Chrissy
March 15th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Ahh I see. It was still a perfectly sharp shot. That eye is just beautiful.

Do you take your shots as Jpegs or RAW images?

tandaina
March 15th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Always shoot RAW! Someone may contradict me.. But cameras and memory cards have gotten so fast, for so cheap that you should always shoot RAW. You simply loose too much data shooting JPEG. I haven't pressed a shutter that created a JPEG in a good six or seven years.

farmdogfan
March 16th, 2015, 01:35 AM
Yes, i also allways shoot RAW.

Chrissy
March 16th, 2015, 04:15 AM
I only ever shoot JPEG images with my little camera when I'm doing quick ink tests to upload.

My other camera is always set to shoot RAW too.

carlc
March 16th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I'm interested in the cameras and lenses you both used for your shots (which are both far better than anything I have ever produced).

farmdogfan
March 17th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Thanks Carlc, for birds i allways use a Canon MK IV with a 300 2,8 IS USM (often with a 1,4 TC).

Cob
March 17th, 2015, 03:12 AM
What is this RAW?

I wonder if my old camera (7MP) can do it?

Experts: help me please.

Thanks

Cob

carlc
March 17th, 2015, 03:16 AM
What camera is it Cob?

Chrissy
March 17th, 2015, 03:44 AM
What is this RAW?

Thanks

Cob
If you can change the settings on your camera, it will be one of the selections you can make. It's probably with the settings for picture size. So where you can select small JPEG's, medium JPEG's or large JPEG's, you may also be able to select RAW instead. On some cameras you can select RAW plus JPEG. I would check your camera settings or better still your original camera guide. That will tell you if you can shoot RAW.

Basically, you get the shot without any adjustments done by the camera. You may also need a different editing programme on your PC or Laptop to see it. Then the idea is that you select your own adjustments and keep as much of the original file size as you want.

farmdogfan
March 17th, 2015, 04:05 AM
I´m not an expert, but you need a camera that can focus fast and accurate, and also a good lens.

This is the set-up, here it is on a 1d MK III, and the lens was new then, now it sits on a 1d MK IV.

Regards Per.
What is this RAW?

Thanks

Cob

carlc
March 17th, 2015, 04:25 AM
I´m not an expert, but you need a camera that can focus fast and accurate, and also a good lens.

Regards Per.
What is this RAW?

Thanks

Cob

RAW takes a lot of processing power and storage as well. I asked about Cob's camera as he says it is old and (let's be honest) 7MP sounds like a compact from a few years ago. RAW wasn't always available in compacts because the processor wasn't fast enough.

carlc
March 17th, 2015, 04:27 AM
That lens!
Prime Canon beauty!

farmdogfan
March 17th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Well, it does´nt look as pristine anymore, the pic was taken 7 years ago so it has got a lot of use and wear marks since, but it still works as good as new.

That lens!
Prime Canon beauty!

Cob
March 17th, 2015, 07:09 AM
What camera is it Cob?

It's a 30-quid banger from the secondhand shop - a Ricoh Caplio R6.

Rgds
Cob

Cob
March 17th, 2015, 07:11 AM

This is the set-up, here it is on a 1d MK III, and the lens was new then, now it sits on a 1d MK IV.

Regards Per.
What is this RAW?

Thanks

Cob

Ha ha: that lens hood is bigger than my camera!

Cob

carlc
March 17th, 2015, 07:16 AM
What camera is it Cob?

It's a 30-quid banger from the secondhand shop - a Ricoh Caplio R6.

Rgds
Cob

That's JPEG only - no RAW for you mate.

farmdogfan
March 17th, 2015, 08:08 AM
"Ha ha: that lens hood is bigger than my camera!"

Cob

But it´s made of carbon fibre, so it hardly weights anything.

Chrissy
March 17th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I'm interested in the cameras and lenses you both used for your shots (which are both far better than anything I have ever produced).
My camera is a Canon 1D mk111 with a Canon zoom lens 100-400mm EF 1 - 4.5-5.6.

When gold was at it's highest price, I sold off many of the items I never wear from my jewellery box, and bought the camera and lens as slightly used.

carlc
March 17th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Looking at your photograph I'd say that was a good move!