PDA

View Full Version : Fifteen Musicians (An old watercolor)

Marsilius
March 15th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Full disclosure: No fountain pen on this one. It is an old watercolor I did about 28 years ago. My friend has it and sent me a photo. I called it "Fifteen Musicians" at the time, but it is just possible the last guy is actually just a very sensitive one, too.
Thanks for looking. I want to get back to this stuff now that I have space to do it.

Crazyorange
March 15th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Love it. The last guy got a chuckle from me. Thanks for sharing.

Laura N
March 15th, 2015, 07:22 PM
That's great! Thanks for sharing.

The guy at the top right sure looks like Jon Szanto. :)

Marsilius
March 15th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks! I thought maybe the triangle player would be Jon, but I bet he can play anything you put in front of him, while posting on FPG. :)

dr.grace
March 15th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Needs more cowbell.

Jon Szanto
March 15th, 2015, 08:16 PM
How sweet! :)

In an age of rampant prejudice, it is heart-warming to see a bagpiper, a banjo player, and FOUR percussionists in a painting devoted to "musicians". (I feel certain that the last person is one of the Board of Directors of a symphony orchestra)

Well, to amplify what Marsilius wrote (though I wasn't logged in to the forum at the time), here is some video that one of the kid's attending our "Children's Concert" series shot a couple of years ago. That is me, performing the first bit of Leroy Anderson's "The Typewriter" with the San Diego Symphony. Enjoy - and laugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axtAwQG1q1w

Marsilius
March 16th, 2015, 12:50 AM
Not to mention that pipe and tabor is Two Strikes. Love the piece! Can't do that with a flex nib!

dr.grace
March 16th, 2015, 06:48 PM
So Jon, is there a difference in tone between, say, an Olivetti and an Underwood?

Jon Szanto
March 16th, 2015, 08:29 PM
So Jon, is there a difference in tone between, say, an Olivetti and an Underwood?

Hah!

I used, for many years, the 'instrument' my predecessor at the orch used. When he passed away we gave it to his daughter, and then I needed to get a decent... instrument to do some concerts with my wife's string quartet (a perfect arrangement of the piece). I hopped on eBay and found a great instrument and bought it pretty quick and then noticed... it was right here in town! Didn't even have to ship it.

Anyway, it is pretty cool: a pre-WWII German typewriter (the brand escapes me now, and it is out in storage behind about 4 timpani and other percussion) - it includes some of the letters with umlauts and other marks connected to the Germanic languages. It has a very solid case, and is rather petite in size. All I had to do was remove the ribbon, and I put a fairly thick sheet of paper in so the keys get a nice, bright "CLACK!" when they strike. The hardest part about the piece is that you have to type at a certain speed, and if the 'instrument' isn't in good working order, the keys don't spring back in time, and they get all clumped up. This one works a treat.

penwash
September 16th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Full disclosure: No fountain pen on this one. It is an old watercolor I did about 28 years ago.

What a delightful drawing/painting.
What did you use for the black lines if not a pen? Just curious.

Marsilius
September 17th, 2015, 09:10 PM
What a delightful drawing/painting.
What did you use for the black lines if not a pen? Just curious.

Thank you so much. Well this being years and years ago, I am pretty sure the lines are India ink. Since then I have been using dip pen with sepia ink to make a softer line, or sometimes Sailor Nano black.

pengeezer
March 8th, 2016, 07:39 PM
How sweet! :)

In an age of rampant prejudice, it is heart-warming to see a bagpiper, a banjo player, and FOUR percussionists in a painting devoted to "musicians". (I feel certain that the last person is one of the Board of Directors of a symphony orchestra)

Well, to amplify what Marsilius wrote (though I wasn't logged in to the forum at the time), here is some video that one of the kid's attending our "Children's Concert" series shot a couple of years ago. That is me, performing the first bit of Leroy Anderson's "The Typewriter" with the San Diego Symphony. Enjoy - and laugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axtAwQG1q1w

Always loved Leroy Anderson's music--what I like about when you did it is that it was played at the right
tempo. What was disappointing was that we didn't get to see the whole performance.

John