PDA

View Full Version : My Experience

southpaw52
April 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Greetings,
I been expanding my fountain pen collection. I mainly collect Sheaffers, Parkers, and Watermans.
I prefer collecting Sheaffers because they are unique and different then the other major makers.
As vintage pens they usually are better taken care of, most are still in good working order. Parkers are more conservative in thier styling. Vintage parkers are also fairly well taken care of and in working order. Waterman has some unique pen designs. The majority of vintage Waterman are poorly cared for and usually in need of restoration. Fountain pen collecting is a great hobby. Owning a vintage pen is a unique experience, you sharing part of the history the pen.

Kelly G
April 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I can't disagree with your choice of vintage pens. All three companies manufactured first rate pens that were designed first to write and then to look good and be marketable.
I typically, or at least for the last six months or so, have been carrying a Parker "51" and a Sheaffer OS Balance in my pocket every day. Great pens.

dannzeman
April 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM
southpaw, thanks for sharing your experience. How long have you been collecting? What did you start collecting?
You say you've been expanding your collection and that you mainly collect Sheaffers, Parkers, and Watermans. Are those three what you have expanded into, or are you going to expand from those three into something else?

Oh, and Kelly G, nice selection with the "51" and OS Balance! Mind sharing what nibs and inks are in those two?

Kelly G
April 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
"Oh, and Kelly G, nice selection with the "51" and OS Balance! Mind sharing what nibs and inks are in those two?"

Not at all, but it is nothing too exciting.

The "51" is an Aerometric model, gf converging lines cap, forest green, M nib and inked with Noodler's Borealis Black.
The Sheaffer OS Balance is the brown striated version with a half radius clip; a Vacuum filler with a F two tone nib. I believe Ron Zorn restored this one and it fills quite well and writes even better. The vacuum filling OS Balance pens hold a ton of ink when properly restored. For my money, they are one of the best pens around (the OS Balance). This pen is filled with Noodler's Dark Matter.

penspouse
April 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Greetings,
I been expanding my fountain pen collection. I mainly collect Sheaffers, Parkers, and Watermans.
I prefer collecting Sheaffers because they are unique and different then the other major makers.
As vintage pens they usually are better taken care of, most are still in good working order. Parkers are more conservative in thier styling. Vintage parkers are also fairly well taken care of and in working order. Waterman has some unique pen designs. The majority of vintage Waterman are poorly cared for and usually in need of restoration. Fountain pen collecting is a great hobby. Owning a vintage pen is a unique experience, you sharing part of the history the pen.
Do you think this is because of the more fragile materials Waterman used? Are your Watermans older than your Parkers and Sheaffers? Just wondering if this might make a difference.