PDA

View Full Version : Fabriano?

Jon Szanto
March 17th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Hey, I hadn't heard of this brand before. Had a bit of a daytime holiday today, and while out strolling went into a Blick art supply place. Where the racks of Rhodia and Clarefontaine were located was another rack with three or four different styles of notebook/pads by Italian manufacturer Fabiano. The paper looks nice, smooth but not too glossy, and the prices seemed pretty reasonable: I picked up this nicely bound, tear-out A5 pad with very lightly gridded pages for under $6 for 90 sheets. I've found a link and these are called Fabriano EcoQua Notebooks (http://www.dickblick.com/products/fabriano-ecoqua-notebooks/).

I'll do some scribbling and write up a report. Hadn't run across this before (which doesn't mean much):

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/FP/2015-03-17%2019.31.10_zpssrxtaslq.jpg

(Pen in the photo is the Knox that Derrick Neal ground and sent to me. Looks like a good match! The logo is being highlighted by a little flashlight, btw.)

rdcalhoon
March 17th, 2015, 10:16 PM
I bought some Fabriano pocket-sized notebooks. The price is good at four 64-page notebooks for under $10 (Amazon).

I just completed filling the first. I like the paper performance well enough with fine nibs. I do have two lesser quibbles.

The books are 64 pages rather than the more usual 48 pages in a pocket notebook. I fill 48 pages in pretty close to a month every time. Sixty-four pages seems to drag on too long.

Half the pages are perforated. I know some folks like perforated pages, but I don't. I don't like writing over the perforations, so I lose a significant part of the page. I would rather cut out a page with my pocketknife, if necessary.

I will definitely cycle through the other three notebooks, but I probably won't buy more. If my quibbles don't bother you, then you may well like these notebooks.

elaineb
March 17th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Fabriano is one of the oldest paper manufacturers in Europe, with a continuous history that goes back to medieval times, I believe. The brand is very familiar among studio artists, and their papers rank among the highest quality available for drawing, painting, printmaking, etc. That said, I wasn't completely thrilled with the EcoQua notebooks. I found them somewhat unfriendly to my fountain pens (feathering, bleedthrough) even though I use fine and extra-fine nibs. I did like the tear-out pads, and the subtle graph and dot grid formats.

I'll be interested in seeing your reaction. I got mine as soon as they were available in the US a few years ago. It's possible Fabriano has adjusted paper quality since then. (It's a responsive company. My painting teacher used to teach in Florence, Italy, and was unhappy with a batch of drawing paper Fabriano manufactured one year. He actually went to the factory talked with the folks in charge, and examined the machinery with them. Turns out, the company had cleaned some of the equipment for the first time in literally a couple of centuries, and it unexpectedly changed the texture of the paper. When he went home that night, he said, they were still puzzling over how to restore the texture to the cleaned parts...)

Jon Szanto
March 17th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Fabriano is one of the oldest paper manufacturers in Europe, with a continuous history that goes back to medieval times, I believe. The brand is very familiar among studio artists, and their papers rank among the highest quality available for drawing, painting, printmaking, etc. That said, I wasn't completely thrilled with the EcoQua notebooks. I found them somewhat unfriendly to my fountain pens (feathering, bleedthrough) even though I use fine and extra-fine nibs. I did like the tear-out pads, and the subtle graph and dot grid formats.

I'll be interested in seeing your reaction...

Thank you, Elaine, for all that background information. I was coming back to put up a front/back scan. This is not an exhaustive test, but I *did* use four pens and four inks, some pretty wet stuff, and I am quite impressed at this moment. I've been using Clarefontaine 50-sheet pads for correspondence, but for essentially the same price I can get 90 sheets with these, and I do like the paper. It has a nice feel, a very good weight, and is easy to write on. I'll use it for a couple weeks and come back with some thoughts. Certainly, barring any problems with particular inks, this is a very economical yet quality paper.

Front and back sides of a sheet, pretty stubbish pens with some wet flow. I wrote on the back to show potential bleed through to front (which appears a little more noticeable in the scan than to the naked eye, and believe me, my eyes are naked! Then scanned the back as well:

elaineb
March 18th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Wow, that does look good. I'll have to check these out again.

RuiFromUK
March 18th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Some time ago I bought Fabriano Traccia notebooks for calligraphy. They contain a semi-transparent paper and the paper does not make fountain pen inks bleed at least with the oens I have tried.

Here is a review by someone else. Please do not worry, there is an English summary at the bottom of the article http://www.banasikcayaz.com/2014/07/fabriano-traccia-notepad-review.html.

macmuse
March 18th, 2015, 08:26 AM
As noted studio artists, printmakers in particular (me), feel that Fabriano is among the gold standard. In my undergrad I saved up to buy it by 50-100 sheets - not an inexpensive proposition for the highest quality printmaking papers they make. :)

I was tickled to find the Eco Qua to play with. I'm still totally experimenting with inks, pens, nibs after resurrecting an old favorite hobby due to the wonderful influence in my life (he decided he wanted to try a fountain pen... It's kind of snowballed from there). I have nothing terribly constructive to add yet regarding the Eco Qua. However, there is also a set of 7 books with 7 papers they make, if you really want to experiment. http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/paper/drawing-and-multimedia-paper-and-boards/fabriano-drawing-paper-and-pads/fabriano-bouquet-pad-set.htm

This vendor has the cool and warm, blank and dot grid of the Eco Qua small books (field notes sized) as well. I didn't check to see if they have the larger individual books, but their pricing was among the best I could find for the Fabriano books I wanted at the time.

klpeabody
March 18th, 2015, 04:29 PM
I have had great luck with Fabriano EcoQua. I have purchased several of these notebooks for myself and others.

Cyber6
March 25th, 2015, 10:40 AM

I'll be interested in seeing your reaction. I got mine as soon as they were available in the US a few years ago. It's possible Fabriano has adjusted paper quality since then. (It's a responsive company. My painting teacher used to teach in Florence, Italy, and was unhappy with a batch of drawing paper Fabriano manufactured one year. He actually went to the factory talked with the folks in charge, and examined the machinery with them. Turns out, the company had cleaned some of the equipment for the first time in literally a couple of centuries, and it unexpectedly changed the texture of the paper. When he went home that night, he said, they were still puzzling over how to restore the texture to the cleaned parts...)

Sadly to inform that the quality of the notebooks seems to change from batch to batch. I discover Fabriano notebooks a couple of years ago (I am very acquainted with all their other art papers, having two artist daughters)... I was ecstatic to find such an amazing fountain pen friendly paper at such a good price. I literally took most of their stock. Sent to friends all over the world. Everyone was happy. Fast forward to a few months ago, when I needed to re-supply my stash.. again, bought several notebooks.. and to my surprise they are NOTHING like the previous ones. These ones makes my best japanese inks to feather and bleed... I am soooo unhappy.

:cry:

elaineb
March 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Yeah... I checked out a new one at a local store and it feathered. And then I found another one from the first batch I bought a few years back, and it was fine. Behaved like John's. This is disappointing. I expect better from the company.

Jon Szanto
March 25th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Hell's Bells! I suppose I should go to the store and pick up a few... maybe write discretely in the back page of one?

fncll
March 25th, 2015, 05:10 PM
I have a few Fabriano tablets and I'd rate them about 8/10...but Fabriano's artist papers and loose sheet stationery is second to none.

macmuse
March 25th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Odd, I don't have any old to compare to, but the inks and pens I've tried so far have not exhibited any noticeable feathering.

(Or perhaps I need that eye appointment at the end of the month more than I thought). :)

Could you post a comparison (pic)?

Marsilius
March 25th, 2015, 11:15 PM
I like these notebooks pretty well. Sometimes they feel a tiny but scratchier than some other paper to me, but they generally perform well (so far). I like both the plain and lined paper. The dotted journals are also good, but the paper jumps out of the binder, which is great if you want immediately loose leaves.
These are for me close second to Rhodia pads, which are still my favorite.
I really love the Fabriano loose art and card papers sold boxes, and that really more like their cold-pressed watercolor paper. (I posted some drawings on this paper here on the art forum, and think they work well with fountain pen ink. The little spreading they do is appropriate for watercolor style paper, and does not feather.)
I will keep my eye open for quality on the next Farbriano pads I use . . .

elaineb
March 25th, 2015, 11:29 PM
I can post some pics tomorrow.

gweddig
March 25th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Jon,
That small card I just sent you is a flavor of Fabriano too. Have to look up the exact name tomorrow.

Edit: Two days later, the notecards and card blanks I've been using are from the "Mediovalis" line. It's like textured card stock that absorbs ink well in my opinion.
--greg

Cookies
May 1st, 2015, 04:43 PM
Was introduced to Fabriano as an artist, but now use their paper almost exclusively for writing purposes. Everything I've had from them has been perfect so I'm a bit bummed to hear others have had quality issues.
If you'e near a Michael's store, they cary a few of their notebooks. And Michael's has a perpetual 40% off coupon which makes them incredibly affordable. I always have a few on hand.

mskaggs
July 5th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Just got a four pack of the EcoQua pocket notebook last week. I've been extremely impressed so far - the paper takes a variety of pen types quite well and, as far as I can tell, soaks it up well enough to avoid smudging unless moisture comes into direct contact with the paper. I'm very impressed, especially since 4 were $11 or so.

Special K
July 9th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Moleskine sketch is fountain pen friendly. It's pretty thick, but you can easily write on both sides