PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie (Burmese Amber)

Chrissy
March 23rd, 2015, 05:08 AM
I have decided to review some of my inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie (Burmese Amber).

This isn't a waterproof or an archival ink

Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, this ink took 10-15 secs to dry.

It flows reasonably wet and lubricates the nib quite well.

It is currently available in packs of 4 x 10ml small glass bottles and 30ml glass bottles.

It's available from many B&M shops and online retailers worldwide.

The third comparison ink on my review, was a swab of MI5 so I didn't know what ink it was. We now know that ink was Montblanc Gandhi.

rdcalhoon
March 23rd, 2015, 04:22 PM
This is why I appreciate your review format, writing out a paragraph with the ink.

As much as I want to like this ink, I can see that I would have no use for it.

Thanks for your review. And keep them coming.

Neo
March 23rd, 2015, 05:07 PM
maybe as a highlighting ink?

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 08:53 PM
It's great if you want to sketch hay.

VertOlive
March 24th, 2015, 04:22 AM
Yes, I was thinking of its uses for my "color it yourself" postcards. It would go on the same shelf as the JH "Vert Pre".

Chrissy
March 24th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Yes, I was thinking of its uses for my "color it yourself" postcards. It would go on the same shelf as the JH "Vert Pre".

I have an uncolored, 'color it yourself' postcard that you are welcome to have if you want it. Please PM me if you do and I will send it to you

caribbean_skye
March 24th, 2015, 05:29 AM
This seems similar to Noodlers Golden Brown

naimitsu
March 24th, 2015, 01:35 PM

I just wrote a couple words with Noodler's Golden Brown and the color is reminiscent of baby vomit/poo.
The J. Herbin is a much nicer shade of yellow brown.

Chrissy
March 24th, 2015, 05:24 PM

I just wrote a couple words with Noodler's Golden Brown and the color is reminiscent of baby vomit/poo.
The J. Herbin is a much nicer shade of yellow brown.

Your description of Noodler's Golden Brown wasn't one I had thought of LOL

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 05:44 PM
To be honest, I have used Ambre de Birmanie for years and I love it. It's very golden, and believe it or not, I find it reasonably legible. With my handwriting, it's all relative anyway. :)

Another great one along the same lines is Pilot Iroshizuku Ina-ho, which is a greenish gold. I did a review on that on FPN years ago when it first came out. Very different than Ambre de Birmanie but also a lovely light color.

rdcalhoon
March 24th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Isn't interesting how much difference an evocative name can make. Golden brown is not the most compelling name for an ink but I bet it sells a lot more bottles than Poo de Bébé.

Chrissy
March 25th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Isn't interesting how much difference an evocative name can make. Golden brown is not the most compelling name for an ink but I bet it sells a lot more bottles than Poo de Bébé.

I bet it would :bounce:

naimitsu
March 25th, 2015, 10:56 AM

I don't know... that might be an untapped market.
Garbage Pail Kids stuff sold pretty well when I was young... and they do have booger flavored jelly beans now :crazy: