PDA

View Full Version : Possible hacking attempt

KarloT
March 23rd, 2015, 07:23 AM
I got an email just a few minutes ago from the forum saying that someone has tried to access my account here unsuccessfully and was locked out for 15 minutes. I changed my password immediately.

I also checked the IP address that tried to access my account and it shows a Technical Park in Brazil. This is no where near my time zone.

I don't know if anyone has had similar things happen to them recently but I thought everyone should know.

Karlo

Neo
March 23rd, 2015, 07:56 AM
If you have a cell phone, sign up for the two stage authentication.

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 05:01 PM
If you have a cell phone, sign up for the two stage authentication.

What's that? No techie here.

Neo
March 23rd, 2015, 05:06 PM
I'm not a techie either. Anyway, you install the app onto your phone and set up the two factor authentication on this forum....directions here--http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/10648-Two-Factor-Authentication-added-for-secure-login

and then every time an attempt is made to login from an unfamiliar IP address, it asks for the code which you have to pull from your phone. This code changes so there is no "stealing a copy" of it. I think it's great if there are limited number of places where you check the forum, otherwise you'll be getting the code from your phone every time.

brewsky
March 23rd, 2015, 10:06 PM
My account was also attempted to be compromised from the following IP 206.15.240.120

brewsky
March 23rd, 2015, 10:06 PM
Kind of weird. Changed my password. The location of that IP is half way across the country from my residence

Daisy
March 24th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I got the same email; the IP address given (87.226.225.98) tracked to Russia. It's pretty clear that whoever's doing this is using a proxy to hide their actual location, so I wouldn't get too bothered about where the physical location is in relation to you.

What's more bizarre to me is why anyone would want to log into FPGeeks as me. But hey, if it blows their skirt up. :)

Thanks Neo for the secure login instruction link!

edited to add originating IP address shown in email

Neo
March 24th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Dan was the one that set up the two-stage authentication, and for that we all owe him thanks. As of right now, the management of the forum is somewhat unclear and those with nefarious intent may be trying to take advantage somehow. If Eric or someone on his current team would reach out to the membership with a little information on security measure, it would be much appreciated.

spotted and speckled
March 25th, 2015, 07:49 AM
i got the hacking attempt email too--IP address: 5.56.188.107. Strange that anyone would want to hack in though. Perhaps they think we have our credit card info stored for our monthly fee to use the site....

Neo
March 25th, 2015, 08:32 AM
i got the hacking attempt email too--IP address: 5.56.188.107. Strange that anyone would want to hack in though. Perhaps they think we have our credit card info stored for our monthly fee to use the site....

What monthly fee?there is no fee, are you being charged?

pengeezer
March 25th, 2015, 10:38 AM

What monthly fee?there is no fee, are you being charged?

I think she is just making the point that the hacker may think that we are charged a monthly fee and
trying to get credit card info. It may also be that the hacker is doing this just to see if they can. Any c/c
info would be a bonus.

John

pocketses
April 3rd, 2015, 11:13 AM
I got the same thing happening here if we're keeping score. IP was 178.211.164.146.

KrazyIvan
April 3rd, 2015, 12:06 PM
Maybe not looking for credit card info but email addresses to spam. Also could be looking for an account to use as bait to setup bogus classifieds.