PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ink No. 6

Pages : [1] 2

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Dear ink fans,

After the rousing success of Mystery Ink No. 5, klpeabody and I are kicking off the sequel, Mystery Ink No. 6, hereafter to be known by the cloak and dagger initials MI6.

I always like a theme. So this is the Terra Australis edition of Mystery Ink. What? Well, read on.

As before, we are looking for five or six volunteers who would be willing to try an unknown ink and post their impressions here, without posting any guesses about the ink’s identity. We think it's fun to try an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be. In fact, to preserve the mystery, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every last recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it. So we also ask people not to write guesses about the ink’s name directly in the thread.

If you’d like to throw your inky hat in the ring, please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI6. And if it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps us pick a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times.

Here’s a fun fact: MI has now traveled to the continents of North America, Europe, Australia and Asia. I like to think of MI as bringing the world closer together, one potentially leaky vial at a time. I keep waiting for some customs or postal service agent to start an investigation. But in the meantime, I’m looking forward to finding participants in Africa, South America and, the trickiest of all, Antarctica.

Ah, Antarctica, once imagined as Terra Australis, Aristotle's theoretical southernmost continent. It was not actually "discovered" until 1820, at which time its name had already been given to another. Antarctica still is not permanently settled, since the weather there is apparently similar to that of Chicago in late March.

So, back to MI6. Please volunteer only if you (i) are stationed in Antarctica or (ii) have time to use or test the ink right away, and if you are willing to post in the thread about your impressions. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic about ink, and about posting. Or who are located in Antarctica.

People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in MI.

Participants will be chosen semi-randomly, due to the necessity to favor anyone in Antarctica.

We would like to thank all the people who've generously given MI contributions, allowing our happy little corner of FPG to keep the lights on. A special MI6 thank you to Cob, who surprised and delighted us with a very generous gift today, and is therefore getting his name in lights, or at least font, tinted as close to MB British Racing Green as I can conjure. Would that I had a bottle for him.

Quantum Sailor
March 23rd, 2015, 11:44 AM
Count me in for volunteering...is anyone from Antarctica on this board? And if so how interesting/unfortunately cold for you.

tandaina
March 23rd, 2015, 11:45 AM
Hah, I'd love to test this one, though I am not in Antarctica. ;) Just the USA.

Jon Szanto
March 23rd, 2015, 11:50 AM
I'll test is ONLY if you don't get enough new volunteers. I don't want to be a hog.

In other news, I actually came across a question a day or two ago on the fp subreddit from a scientist stationed in Antarctica! He was looking for moderate cost pens that could hold up under extreme conditions.

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 11:53 AM
I'll test is ONLY if you don't get enough new volunteers. I don't want to be a hog.

In other news, I actually came across a question a day or two ago on the fp subreddit from a scientist stationed in Antarctica! He was looking for moderate cost pens that could hold up under extreme conditions.

Let's get him or her over here! Outstanding! :cheer2:

I've decided the theme for MI7 will be "World Peace," if anyone wants to start working on that early.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 23rd, 2015, 12:00 PM
I volunteered for a scientific mission in Antarctica about 7 or 8 years ago, but they didn't need pathology staff at that time more's the pity. I even offered to go and sweep floors, cook and clean. Nothing doing. Getting too old for that kind of icy nonsense now! If I was still living in Christchurch I daresay I could have found someone to take an FP with them to the frozen South. You have to time these things with the very narrow expedition window, although I believe there is a semi-permanent US base there at present.

elaineb
March 23rd, 2015, 12:04 PM
Alas, I have no Antarctic connections, just a boring old American. But I would LOVE to try a round of Mystery Ink.

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 12:08 PM
Cryptos, that would have been an amazing adventure.

Can we add you as an MI6 entrant? If so, can you post the US state or country where you live? Just so we can throw you in the right pool of entrants, and time the mailings for those selected.

kbrede
March 23rd, 2015, 12:13 PM
I would be up for testing the ink. I'm located in Nebraska.
Kent

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Kent

Excellent! That's where my father's family is from. In fact, my dad was just visiting last week. He went to Omaha and to Kearney, to see the sandhill cranes.

BCDDiggler
March 23rd, 2015, 12:30 PM
Canada.
I like the idea of playing with an ink I can't/haven't researched. And contributing to the team is good too.

Potter
March 23rd, 2015, 12:44 PM
I can't claim to live in Antarctica, but I can point out that the British Antarctic Survey is based in my county of Cambridgeshire, does that count (me in?)...

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/about_bas/our_organisation/cambridge.php

kbrede
March 23rd, 2015, 01:04 PM
Kent

Excellent! That's where my father's family is from. In fact, my dad was just visiting last week. He went to Omaha and to Kearney, to see the sandhill cranes.

I've been out to see the cranes several times. :) "The launch" as they call it, when the birds roosting on the river burst into the morning air, is unbelievable in sight and sound. I hope your parents enjoyed themselves!
Kent

inlovewithjournals
March 23rd, 2015, 01:07 PM
Count me in this time please! I'm in Canada and would love to participate. :)

Oh and the reason I want to participate - it looks like so much fun! :)

Cob
March 23rd, 2015, 01:16 PM
Laura is it a bright one or a dark one this time?

If the latter I'd like to enter the lottery!

Rgds

Cob

Cob
March 23rd, 2015, 01:17 PM
[snip] it looks like so much fun! :)

It is!

Cob

inlovewithjournals
March 23rd, 2015, 01:45 PM
Canada.
I like the idea of playing with an ink I can't/haven't researched. And contributing to the team is good too.

Hey there BCDDiggler, greetings from one Canuck to another. At least we are somewhat familiar with the cold, in keeping with the theme, right? ;):smow:

Chrissy
March 23rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
I have tested 2 of the MI's so far, but if you don't get enough volunteers, I'm happy to test MI6 as well

alc3261
March 23rd, 2015, 01:51 PM
I'll pass this time as I have been in the last two rounds.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 23rd, 2015, 02:10 PM
Can we add you as an MI6 entrant? If so, can you post the US state or country where you live? Just so we can throw you in the right pool of entrants, and time the mailings for those selected.

Tentatively. I'm in New Zealand, you see, and shipping times can be something of a lottery in themselves, not to mention the cost. I can cover shipping costs if you like.

ilangai
March 23rd, 2015, 03:00 PM
I'll go for that one again.. But not instead of a new one. I'll pass gladly.
I think I can give more then I did this time.. Even though I don't know which continent I really belong to [emoji6]

Uncle Bud
March 23rd, 2015, 03:10 PM
I'd love to test. I'm in Scotland, four seasons in a day, or sometimes hour.

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 03:18 PM
Ilan, it is a little controversial, but I'm going with it. I know the matter is not totally settled, and a good argument could be made a different way. However, I have appointed myself the official MI Continents Plenipotentiary. (You'll remember that MI5 was the Peace, Love and Understanding edition of MI. But this is the Laura Has Absolute Power and Exercises it Madly edition.)

And to be fair, I didn't put you in Antarctica.

ilangai
March 23rd, 2015, 03:34 PM
Ilan, it is a little controversial, but I'm going with it. I know the matter is not totally settled, and a good argument could be made a different way. However, I have appointed myself the official MI Continents Plenipotentiary. (You'll remember that MI5 was the Peace, Love and Understanding edition of MI. But this is the Laura Has Absolute Power and Exercises it Madly edition.)

And to be fair, I didn't put you in Antarctica.

Laura had the power all the way..

klpeabody
March 23rd, 2015, 04:45 PM

Seriously, I'm waiting with baited breath. How did people respond to this question? What a good question!

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 04:48 PM
I'm passing but wanted to say thank you cob for keeping MI going. I think MI 7 should be called after the new Mission Impossible movie. Tom cruise hangs onto a plane.

Chrissy
March 23rd, 2015, 04:56 PM
I'm passing but wanted to say thank you cob for keeping MI going. I think MI 7 should be called after the new Mission Impossible movie. Tom cruise hangs onto a plane.

Didn't he already do that in the last one? :)

Crazyorange
March 23rd, 2015, 04:58 PM

Didn't he already do that in the last one? :)

Nope. He hung onto a building. This time it's a plane.

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 05:03 PM

Seriously, I'm waiting with baited breath. How did people respond to this question? What a good question!

A Parker 51 aerometric. Filled with MI6. Jon, haul him in here!

caribbean_skye
March 23rd, 2015, 05:21 PM
i would love to play too. I love trying new inks and you guys look like youre having loads of fun. I am in the US.

Jon Szanto
March 23rd, 2015, 06:36 PM

I'll see if I can find it again. I'm not sure it was a big response and... well, it's a different sort of "brain trust" over there. ;)

klpeabody
March 23rd, 2015, 06:40 PM

I'll see if I can find it again. I'm not sure it was a big response and... well, it's a different sort of "brain trust" over there. ;)

Gotcha. lol.

Jon Szanto
March 23rd, 2015, 06:59 PM
Ok, about Mr. Antarctica: I've dropped him a message to see if he'd be interested. I am not *entirely* certain if he is located there at the moment, but we'll know if he writes back. The responses for pens were a bit disappointing, but not unexpected. You can view the thread here (http://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/2zjhfk/i_break_lots_of_nibs_solidbody_fp_with_decent/).

Laura N
March 23rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
Oh heck, hope he comes here.

Alec_J
March 23rd, 2015, 07:48 PM
I'll throw my hat in again.

mustud52
March 23rd, 2015, 08:02 PM
Love to be back to try out MI6.

I must say that the ink threads on fpg have brought a further level of appreciation to my pen use. Thank you all.

Armstrong
March 23rd, 2015, 08:08 PM
I could do high altitude testing in Colorado lol. Be glad to help test since I tend to put my inks through a 'check wash' simulation before I settle on them.

migo984
March 23rd, 2015, 11:00 PM
MI-ology is a new area of study - it involves artistic critique, science theorising, social science analysis and psychological assessment. :)

I've tested MIs on 2 continents (Europe & Australia) so will opt out and let others play with this one. Can't wait to read all about it though.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 01:48 AM
MI-ology is a new area of study - it involves artistic critique, science theorising, social science analysis and psychological assessment

Ah, I think I may have misunderstood the rules. If by some chance I was picked out of the hat I was just going to write with it. Didn't know you had to do all this science stuff. My bad. I think I should withdraw my name under the circumstances.

Good luck everyone else. I'll watch with interest. :wave:

migo984
March 24th, 2015, 02:05 AM
MI-ology is a new area of study - it involves artistic critique, science theorising, social science analysis and psychological assessment

Ah, I think I may have misunderstood the rules. If by some chance I was picked out of the hat I was just going to write with it. Didn't know you had to do all this science stuff. My bad. I think I should withdraw my name under the circumstances.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I was teasing. There are no "rules". You try the MI any way you want to. Just writing is as good as anything else.

mustud52
March 24th, 2015, 03:22 AM

I think you misinterpreted my post. I was teasing. There are no "rules". You try the MI any way you want to. Just writing is as good as anything else.

Actually I suggest that Cryptos may not realise that Laura adds a little magic to those little plastic bottles, causing otherwise sane and stodgy people to sometimes behave with greater verve than they otherwise would. Everyone loves a mystery! An excellent concept.

If Cryptos were to receive a vial then artistic critique would flow from him like a Voltaire.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 03:41 AM
I see. Not sure I understand all of those words but I get the general thrust. A Voltaire is a type of battery, yes?

akapulko2020
March 24th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I'm probably too late to the party, but if one counts Israel as being in Africa, then I can add a new continent to the count😃
Also, I just love trying new to me inks [emoji5]

mustud52
March 24th, 2015, 03:47 AM
A Voltaire is a type of battery, yes?

It was an early electric convertible car. It lost popularity when usb connectors started to replace the RCA plugs the Voltaire was designed to use.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 04:06 AM
It was an early electric convertible car. It lost popularity when usb connectors started to replace the RCA plugs the Voltaire was designed to use.

I should have guessed. It sounds more like a car than a battery when I say it out loud, kind of like Frigidaire. Got to be one of them American things I suppose. I don't know what RCA plugs are, but perhaps it was back in the days before the type of electricity we have now?

mustud52
March 24th, 2015, 04:13 AM
[QUOTE=Cryptos;122356][QUOTE]

It sounds more like a car than a battery when I say it out loud, kind of like Frigidaire. QUOTE]

Not familiar with the Frigidaire. Is that a New Zealand car?

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 04:16 AM
No, it's an American brand of refrigerator. Though if it was a type of car it sounds like it would be ideal for Antarctica!

mustud52
March 24th, 2015, 04:25 AM
No, it's an American brand of refrigerator. Though if it was a type of car it sounds like it would be ideal for Antarctica!

I will tell you a secret. The Voltaire is not an electric car.

I think that Laura might wish we were both shut into a Frigidaire and pushed off to Antarctica. We would not sink - the seals on those things were excellent.

Normal MI programming is resumed.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 04:27 AM
So, it's really a battery then? You were just pulling my leg about the car? Naughty!

Sailor Kenshin
March 24th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Dear ink fans,

After the rousing success of Mystery Ink No. 5, klpeabody and I are kicking off the sequel, Mystery Ink No. 6, hereafter to be known by the cloak and dagger initials MI6.

I always like a theme. So this is the Terra Australis edition of Mystery Ink. What? Well, read on.

As before, we are looking for five or six volunteers who would be willing to try an unknown ink and post their impressions here, without posting any guesses about the ink’s identity. We think it's fun to try an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be. In fact, to preserve the mystery, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every last recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it. So we also ask people not to write guesses about the ink’s name directly in the thread.

If you’d like to throw your inky hat in the ring, please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI6. And if it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps us pick a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times.

Here’s a fun fact: MI has now traveled to the continents of North America, Europe, Australia and Asia. I like to think of MI as bringing the world closer together, one potentially leaky vial at a time. I keep waiting for some customs or postal service agent to start an investigation. But in the meantime, I’m looking forward to finding participants in Africa, South America and, the trickiest of all, Antarctica.

Ah, Antarctica, once imagined as Terra Australis, Aristotle's theoretical southernmost continent. It was not actually "discovered" until 1820, at which time its name had already been given to another. Antarctica still is not permanently settled, since the weather there is apparently similar to that of Chicago in late March.

So, back to MI6. Please volunteer only if you (i) are stationed in Antarctica or (ii) have time to use or test the ink right away, and if you are willing to post in the thread about your impressions. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic about ink, and about posting. Or who are located in Antarctica.

People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in MI.

Participants will be chosen semi-randomly, due to the necessity to favor anyone in Antarctica.

We would like to thank all the people who've generously given MI contributions, allowing our happy little corner of FPG to keep the lights on. A special MI6 thank you to Cob, who surprised and delighted us with a very generous gift today, and is therefore getting his name in lights, or at least font, tinted as close to MB British Racing Green as I can conjure. Would that I had a bottle for him.

Of course I would LOVE to do this again! This MI program has been one of the brightest lights in a long, desperate winter.

Uhmm...I watched a documentary about people repairing a plane in the Antarctic...

Two pages already? I was asleep, I swear! ;)

Crazyorange
March 24th, 2015, 06:02 AM

The science is....putting up with the humor that goes on in the thread.

Neo
March 24th, 2015, 06:04 AM

The science is....putting up with the humor that goes on in the thread.

That seems more like an art.

Cob
March 24th, 2015, 06:10 AM

I always thought that by far the cleverest name invented for a refrigerator was the Kelvinator - exaggeration I suppose but really brilliant.

Cob

mhguda
March 24th, 2015, 07:05 AM
I'd like to join this, if I'm still in time. I am in Curaçao, in the Caribbean. So it would bring a bit of geographic spread to the testing group if I'm included. Mail might take a while, though - fair warning...

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 07:54 AM
I'm probably too late to the party, but if one counts Israel as being in Africa, then I can add a new continent to the count😃
Also, I just love trying new to me inks [emoji5]

I already counted it as Asia, but that's a great idea! Just like Russia could be Asia or Europe, depending on where. And let's not forget once we were all one.

That said, I would love to send MI to anyone in Africa. It's my favorite continent!

Except, not "favorite" as in more loved than any of the others. So don't feel bad, other continents, that I said that. You are all great. And the ocean, too, of course. Also great. Air, too. Air is excellent, too.

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 07:58 AM
I'd like to join this, if I'm still in time. I am in Curaçao, in the Caribbean. So it would bring a bit of geographic spread to the testing group if I'm included. Mail might take a while, though - fair warning...

Curaçao is off Venezuela, correct? And Bolivar stayed there? Wonderful.

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 08:02 AM

I will tell you a secret. The Voltaire is not an electric car.

I think that Laura might wish we were both shut into a Frigidaire and pushed off to Antarctica. We would not sink - the seals on those things were excellent.

Normal MI programming is resumed.

Oh gosh, I consider this normal MI programming. Also useful in weeding out the not-as-much-fun crowd. :)

naimitsu
March 24th, 2015, 08:28 AM
If you need any more names, please throw mine in the "hat" again :-)
If there are plenty of people who have not been selected yet, please put priority to them over me!

mhguda
March 24th, 2015, 09:18 AM

Curaçao is off Venezuela, correct? And Bolivar stayed there? Wonderful.

Correct on both counts. And not only that, one of his generals, Pedro Luis Brion, was a Curaçaoan.

Sammyo
March 24th, 2015, 10:35 AM
I would love to please. I applied for MI4; I skipped MI5 as you said bright; I am an Englishman in the US so you get two continents in one; I am a loving husband and father; I have pens ready to ink; I will clean one out if I don't... what else can I say... I have been to a few hockey games since I got here... ... ... ... PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEE!!!!!!! ;)

Sammyo
March 24th, 2015, 10:37 AM
... I also work with a number of fountain pen geeks and I will share the inked pens for multiple comments and feedback...

elaineb
March 24th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Oh dear, I was far too moderate with my earlier request to join MI6.... Um, I have nothing geographical of interest to add except that I lived in Europe for a few years when I was in grad school. But I am an artist by training and have lots of practice working with and talking about color, and I love to write, and I've got a lot of different pens, and... and... I promise to draw things with the ink? (Does any of this make a difference?)

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 11:21 AM
(Does any of this make a difference?)

Alas, no. :)

But it's fun to read.

We choose randomly. If I remember correctly, with the last one, MI5, we had very few entrants, so I think only one person per region (US and non-US) didn't get to try. I kind of feel bad already that so many people may be left out of this one.

Yet, I still haven't lured anyone from my three missing continents. Unless I sort of cheat. Which, hey, I'll do!

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Alright, due to the bountiful number of volunteers, I'm going to make the executive decision to stop the entries here. I'll talk to klp and we'll figure out the numbers and then draw the names. Watch this space (probably tomorrow) for further updates.

In the meantime, feel free to talk amongst yourselves. There's so much interesting stuff here, and so many interesting people. Great thread.

Jon Szanto
March 24th, 2015, 01:07 PM
In the meantime, feel free to talk amongst yourselves. There's so much interesting stuff here, and so many interesting people. Great thread.

Fine:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aTUkkvjcNgM/VRCLr7zpbNI/AAAAAAAA42M/IvoAvGI7s0M/s1600/ted_cruz_liberace_02.jpg

migo984
March 24th, 2015, 01:21 PM

Fine:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aTUkkvjcNgM/VRCLr7zpbNI/AAAAAAAA42M/IvoAvGI7s0M/s1600/ted_cruz_liberace_02.jpg

For goodness sake Jon! Straighten your bow :)

elaineb
March 24th, 2015, 01:24 PM
But I have to ask... who is that?

Jon Szanto
March 24th, 2015, 01:31 PM

A photo mashup of recently-announced Presidential candidate Ted Cruz with Liberace. (not my work, just saw online) I realize some people may not be old enough to get the reference... <sob>

naimitsu
March 24th, 2015, 01:40 PM

A photo mashup of recently-announced Presidential candidate Ted Cruz with Liberace. (not my work, just saw online) I realize some people may not be old enough to get the reference... <sob>

When I first saw it, I thought, "Liberace?" And then I wondered about the face... totally looked off, and now I know why. Though I wonder if I am old enough to get the reference without the influence of my mother...

mustud52
March 24th, 2015, 01:55 PM

I always thought that by far the cleverest name invented for a refrigerator was the Kelvinator - exaggeration I suppose but really brilliant.

Cob

You know, Cob, I had to think for a moment upon reading your post before I made the connection. I blush to admit it had never dawned on me previously.

I shall have to explain it to Cryptos.

We have always used Westinghouse refrigerators and I would ocassionally reflect as I opened the door of the fridge or freezer that there was once a push to label a certain U.S. practice as 'being Westinghoused'.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 02:22 PM
What am I missing now?

Oh, and I went and looked up 'Voltaire' last night. Turns out it was some guy from ages ago who done some writing and whatnot. Nothing to do with cars or batteries. :facepalm:

Crazyorange
March 24th, 2015, 02:24 PM

Fine:

Elvis slash Liberace? Oops just pure Liberace.
Ok editing again....its a weird mix person. I keep thinking Elvis hair. Did Liberace wear his hair that way?

Alec_J
March 24th, 2015, 02:51 PM

Fine:

LMAO!!! This is so funny! Some people are so creative!

Cob
March 24th, 2015, 02:56 PM
What am I missing now?

Oh, and I went and looked up 'Voltaire' last night. Turns out it was some guy from ages ago who done some writing and whatnot. Nothing to do with cars or batteries. :facepalm:

Er - "had done some writing" is one way of putting it...

Had you Alessandro Volta in mind perhaps? He invented the electric cell and thus we have the Volt - and by that I do not mean a GM car!

Cob

ilangai
March 24th, 2015, 03:38 PM

Fine:

For some strange way, it turned out like Conway Twitty [emoji15]

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Looks like a character from the next Mike Myers film.

Sammyo
March 24th, 2015, 03:46 PM
The only thing I can be sure of, is that it looks like he needs a good stool softener!

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Like a cushion or something? I don't like those hard stools. They start to cause quite a bit of discomfort if I have to sit on them for any length of time. Give me an upholstered stool any day. :)

Crazyorange
March 24th, 2015, 04:16 PM
See neo ...our humor does involved science. The science of photoshop and stool softens/pillows.

klpeabody
March 24th, 2015, 04:45 PM
You can view the thread here (http://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/2zjhfk/i_break_lots_of_nibs_solidbody_fp_with_decent/).

wow. that's all i can say.

Neo
March 24th, 2015, 04:55 PM
See neo ...our humor does involved science. The science of photoshop and stool softens/pillows.

Don't forget the science of refrigeration and electric vehicles. However, Migo makes the salient point earlier in the thread that the most important thing is the studies of the interactions between the triumvirate of pen, paper, and ink.

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 05:06 PM
However, Migo makes the salient point earlier in the thread that the most important thing is the studies of the interactions between the triumvirate of pen, paper, and ink.

If there has been even one post in this thread discussing ink, then I am a little bummed

This was a thread about Antarctica.

Neo
March 24th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Too bad these little guys can't sign up for MI6....

Empty_of_Clouds
March 24th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Perhaps the guy in Antarctica uses a seal on his envelopes. Just a thought.

inlovewithjournals
March 24th, 2015, 05:29 PM

:pound:

Crazyorange
March 24th, 2015, 06:03 PM

You are one of us ;)

Lady Onogaro
March 24th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Liberace did wear his hair that way; though I am pretty sure it was a wig.

migo984
March 24th, 2015, 08:37 PM

HeHe! Murfie always says he's walrus'd his envelopes :)

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Alright, after a virtual summit, and resort to random list generation, the MI brain trust is pleased to announce the following recipients of MI6:

tandaina
Sammyo
kbrede
Sailor Kenshin
Cryptos
inlovewithjournals
Uncle Bud

Tandaina and Sailor Kenshin, we have your mailing addresses and emails, so you need only await your ink.

Sammyo, kbrede, Cryptos, inlovewithjournals and Uncle Bud, please PM klpeabody with your mailing address and email as soon as possible. Klp will be sending out MI6. She'd like to get started on the international ones as quickly as possible, since those can take a while.

If you didn't get selected this time, we are sorry, but don't be discouraged. Instead, please keep on eye on this thread, and keep participating, because then you'll know when MI7 rolls around and can sign up for that. I think this time we have five new participants. The MI motto is never give up. It might only take 17 seconds and you'll find yourself scoring two goals and winning the 2013 Stanley Cup (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-h46vxck4g).

kbrede
March 24th, 2015, 10:23 PM
PM to klpeabody sent!
Kent

Jon Szanto
March 24th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Again with the hockey references. I'm going out skateboarding (skip to 2:25 to see me in action).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaBR1o2yF5o&t=2m25s

mustud52
March 25th, 2015, 02:35 AM
Alright, after a virtual summit, and resort to random list generation, the MI brain trust is pleased to announce the following recipients of MI6:

tandaina
Sammyo
kbrede
Sailor Kenshin
Cryptos
inlovewithjournals
Uncle Bud

Tandaina and Sailor Kenshin, we have your mailing addresses and emails, so you need only await your ink.

Sammyo, kbrede, Cryptos, inlovewithjournals and Uncle Bud, please PM klpeabody with your mailing address and email as soon as possible. Klp will be sending out MI6. She'd like to get started on the international ones as quickly as possible, since those can take a while.

If you didn't get selected this time, we are sorry, but don't be discouraged. Instead, please keep on eye on this thread, and keep participating, because then you'll know when MI7 rolls around and can sign up for that. I think this time we have five new participants. The MI motto is never give up. It might only take 17 seconds and you'll find yourself scoring two goals and winning the 2013 Stanley Cup (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-h46vxck4g).

I am shattered. Ignored and discarded.

I shall mumble and wend my way to my Sheaffer Intrigues, fill up on my current Diamine favourite, and plot a revenge to those who have ignored the world domination of the Antipodes.

Cryptos, I warn you, that little vial of ink sample will change your life - will it be for the better or the worse....?

Remember what Voltaire once said.

alc3261
March 25th, 2015, 02:50 AM
i will have to go for MI7 as I have a patient in MI7 ( remember I'm a Shrink) and I'd like to know what it does.........

Empty_of_Clouds
March 25th, 2015, 03:03 AM

I shall mumble and wend my way to my Sheaffer Intrigues, fill up on my current Diamine favourite, and plot a revenge to those who have ignored the world domination of the Antipodes.

Cryptos, I warn you, that little vial of ink sample will change your life - will it be for the better or the worse....?

That's okay, neighbour, I'm in the antipodes too!

As for remembering what Voltaire said... up until a few posts back I thought Voltaire was a type of battery (and then an electric car)!

Cob
March 25th, 2015, 03:46 AM

tandaina
Sammyo
kbrede
Sailor Kenshin
Cryptos
inlovewithjournals
Uncle Bud

[snip]

Remember: this is MI6:

You are licensed to FILL

C.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 25th, 2015, 03:57 AM
:applause:

Though with my levels of ineptitude bordering on the incredulous it may well turn out to be a Licence to Spill.

Neo
March 25th, 2015, 04:41 AM
:applause:

Though with my levels of ineptitude bordering on the incredulous it may well turn out to be a Licence to Spill.

Be careful over there.

Alec_J
March 25th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Congrats to the MI6 Crew! I cant wait to see the results!

Chrissy
March 25th, 2015, 09:39 AM
i will have to go for MI7 as I have a patient in MI7 ( remember I'm a Shrink) and I'd like to know what it does.........

Me too. Wasn't Johnny English a MI7 agent?

mhguda
March 25th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I will certainly hang around and try again for MI7... or MI8... etc... in the meantime, I will play with the inks that already made it here...

inlovewithjournals
March 25th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Thank you Laura N and klpeabody, I will not shirk the honour that is MI6 now bestowed upon me. My details have been sent.

Sailor Kenshin
March 25th, 2015, 10:25 AM

tandaina
Sammyo
kbrede
Sailor Kenshin
Cryptos
inlovewithjournals
Uncle Bud

[snip]

Remember: this is MI6:

You are licensed to FILL

C.

Yayyy!

Sammyo
March 25th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Deatils PM'd and now I shall sit by my post/mail box with gleeful childlike anticipation... MI6!!! I can't wait to begin this mission inkpossiible!

Cob
March 25th, 2015, 11:43 AM
MI7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MI7)

http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/smoking-smileys/smoking_03.gif

C.

Laura N
March 25th, 2015, 12:01 PM

tandaina
Sammyo
kbrede
Sailor Kenshin
Cryptos
inlovewithjournals
Uncle Bud

You know, it was Australia that took Antarctica's name, so the Antipodes is darn lucky we don't hold even more of a grudge here at MI6.

On another matter, it look's like Clarkson's officially available now. But we may need to improve the catering if we're going to lure him here. I'm hoping Jon pops up with a chef he knows on another forum.

Xina
March 26th, 2015, 12:54 AM
[QUOTE]
As for remembering what Voltaire said... up until a few posts back I thought Voltaire was a type of battery (and then an electric car)!

http://www.skybluepink.com/images/voltaire1.jpg

http://www.skybluepink.com/images/voltaire2.jpg

http://www.skybluepink.com/images/voltaire3.jpg

Now you know!

Jon Szanto
March 26th, 2015, 01:00 AM
On another matter, it look's like Clarkson's officially available now. But we may need to improve the catering if we're going to lure him here. I'm hoping Jon pops up with a chef he knows on another forum.

What on Earth are you going on about now??

Crazyorange
March 26th, 2015, 01:05 AM

Hockey....lure some top player with food. Try money Laura. They don't care about food when making $$$$.

Xina
March 26th, 2015, 01:25 AM

Keep up, folks. Mr. Clarkson was canned from a wildly popular BBC TV show, "Top Gear". 230 Million viewers around the world. [Never seen it myself.] Laura had previously wondered about procuring his services for a Mystery Ink show.

Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed after an "unprovoked physical attack" on a Top Gear producer, the BBC's director general has confirmed.

Top Gear
Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May host this fast-paced and stunt-filled motor show that tests whether cars, both mundane and extraordinary, live up to their manufacturers' claims. The hosts travel to locations around the world, performing extreme stunts and challenges to see what the featured cars are capable of. Celebrity guests also appear on some episodes to help the guys test the vehicles. Things don't always go as planned, though, with broken bones and mechanical mishaps sometimes part of the experiments.
-Wikipedia

mustud52
March 26th, 2015, 01:34 AM
You know, it was Australia that took Antarctica's name, so the Antipodes is darn lucky we don't hold even more of a grudge here at MI6.

Hey, don't blame us, blame Ptolemy. He is the one who named Terra Australis, and we cannot help being the antipodes of somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. The key issue here, is who gave permission for someone to name the Atlantic Ocean the way they did? Certainly no-one asked us!!

Jon Szanto
March 26th, 2015, 01:55 AM
Ok, him I know (Clarkson). I just missed the reference to him earlier as my eyes were glazing over with MOAR HOCKEE TAWK!

He'd certainly have a good spin on things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWIrBOc3zE

Chrissy
March 26th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Clarkson had a good run. It was always bound to end badly for him

Empty_of_Clouds
March 26th, 2015, 03:39 AM
@xina, those snippets are quite amusing. Always good to learn new things. Though I daresay by tomorrow it will have leaked out of my head and I'll be back to thinking about batteries. Such is a day in the life of a dullard.

mustud52
March 26th, 2015, 03:46 AM
Clarkson had a good run. It was always bound to end badly for him

Any chance that Laura will take up my suggestion of getting him onto MI in a new testing format?

Potter
March 26th, 2015, 03:51 AM
The French have hijacked Voltaire, the original Dr Volt created a clean air machine to use in the Bedlam hospital, during the London smogs of the mid 19th C, he called it a Voltairee, naturally, but the French Appellation Controlee people fell on him from a great height and he had to change the name, all for having a name close to that of a mediocre Froggie novelette writer and wit, this erradication from history was so complete the truth is only know to very, very few favoured people! (This thread is getting very peculiar indeed:confused:)

mustud52
March 26th, 2015, 03:57 AM
I have discovered that the Stihl cordless gear is on special for a fortnight in Oz (aka the Western Antipodes). The high capacity battery, in particular, is a good deal. I shall contact my Voltaire store tomorrow and make inquiries.

I will let you know if he (for it is indeed a "he") has anything further to say about Frigidaires or that exquisite ink, Tanzanite.

mustud52
March 26th, 2015, 04:02 AM
The French have hijacked Voltaire, the original Dr Volt created a clean air machine to use in the Bedlam hospital, during the London smogs of the mid 19th C, he called it a Voltairee, naturally, but the French Appellation Controlee people fell on him from a great height and he had to change the name, all for having a name close to that of a mediocre Froggie novelette writer and wit, this erradication from history was so complete the truth is only know to very, very few favoured people! (This thread is getting very peculiar indeed:confused:)

A little the way most have forgotten that there was once a push in the early 20th century to call a particular U.S. practice as "being Westinghoused". True.

I can only shiver at the thought of what might have been, say, if the U.S. had decided on a practice of "being Frigidaired".

Empty_of_Clouds
March 26th, 2015, 04:14 AM
I can only shiver at the thought of what might have been, say, if the U.S. had decided on a practice of "being Frigidaired".

Probably best describes how Josephine was treated after her most famous of questions.

mustud52
March 26th, 2015, 04:43 AM

Probably best describes how Josephine was treated after her most famous of questions.

Mind you, she never actually said that. She was misreported.

A hair raising experience.

Crazyorange
March 26th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Ok, him I know (Clarkson). I just missed the reference to him earlier as my eyes were glazing over with MOAR HOCKEE TAWK!

He'd certainly have a good spin on things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWIrBOc3zE

I say we hire him. Get the chef Laura. Between jon and clarktown we would laughing. I would love clarktown's impression on our spam mobile.

Laura N
March 26th, 2015, 06:34 AM
You know, I am attracted to the ratings possibilities. But here at MI Midwest some nights we struggle to get a hot meal* together just for the family. Whose standards of "hot" and, heck, "meal" for that matter, are pretty low.

Sigh, well, if I can find another $6 million in the budget, I think we could swing this. To the sofa cushions, MI fans!

*Clarkson reportedly was let go after he hit his BBC producer because of the lack of a hot meal after a day's filming. I can see both sides, liking a hot meal myself. But the hitting does give me pause. We usually draw swords here.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 26th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Toasting forks at dawn!

Neo
March 26th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Toasting forks at dawn!

Remember to bring marshmallows!

Cob
March 26th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Toasted tea-cakes for me please!

Cob

Sailor Kenshin
March 26th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I made biscuits. Does that count?

Neo
March 26th, 2015, 07:15 PM
We may all need to go running at dawn to burn off the calories :dance3:

klpeabody
March 28th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Hey Mystery Ink fans,

The overseas samples for MI#6 were shipped out from the post office this morning, yay! To be clear, a sample has been sent to Cryptos and inlovewithjournals. I still haven't heard from Uncle Bud re: a shipping address, and a follow up PM was sent. I do hope that you can join us for this round, Uncle Bud.

The remaining packages have been put together and will be mailed out early-ish next week. I really hope everyone enjoys this round of MI. I have been waiting with anticipation to send this one out, and am very eager to hear your remarks/observations after using this one.

In other news, my little rescue dog, Luna, graduated from basic doggie obedience class this afternoon. Yay!! She is now ready for bigger and better things, such as "off-leash" commands. Just for giggles, I've included her big "doggie smile" for your enjoyment. She is such a sweet little dog, and my husband and I are just having so much fun with her - but, she's a bit of a character. She will only give us a "doggie smile" at doggie class, because she knows that she is about to receive a lot of praise rewards in the form of string cheese for a whole hour. I am thinking about having a doggie t-shirt made just for her, which says: "Will smile for food". lol. She's just too much. ;)

Anyway, I digress...back to important things, and I do hope you all enjoy this round of MI! And, I hope your samples arrive quickly through the mail.

Wishing you all the best,
Karen

tandaina
March 28th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Oh what a FACE! :)

klpeabody
March 28th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Oh what a FACE! :)

Thank you so much! I, personally, can't resist it; but, I'm kinda biased you know? =)

elaineb
March 28th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Oh she is adorable. How long have you had her? And don't worry, that doggy smile will start to come outside of class soon. My experience with rescues is that they just need to really be secure that they're always going to have food, before it stops being the primary motivation for everything they do. For some animals, it can take years, depending on the depth of the trauma they experienced before the rescue. (My rescue cat has finally, after ten years, become a hopeless love puddle of affection. It took her that long to trust our hands wouldn't move to hurt her.)

klpeabody
March 28th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Oh she is adorable. How long have you had her? And don't worry, that doggy smile will start to come outside of class soon. My experience with rescues is that they just need to really be secure that they're always going to have food, before it stops being the primary motivation for everything they do. For some animals, it can take years, depending on the depth of the trauma they experienced before the rescue. (My rescue cat has finally, after ten years, become a hopeless love puddle of affection. It took her that long to trust our hands wouldn't move to hurt her.)

You raise a good point, Elaine. Luna is funny, because she seemed to settle in right away, but then I have a sense every now and again (even recently) that she is "settling in a little more". If that makes any sense at all. Being that she is a rescue, I don't know her history, which makes it tough sometimes. I suspect that she was a "breeding dog" for her previous owners, who disposed of her when she came down with some minor, treatable (although costly) ailments. She was overweight when we got her, and I also suspect that she was kept in a kennel without exercise, and fed with human scraps in her previous life. So, when my husband and I adopted her, we put her on a very good dog food, but we had to work on some weight loss as well. We keep her diet pretty clean, and we walk her too, so she has slimmed down a bit since September of last year which is when we adopted her. But, she does love Saturdays. lol.

I really appreciate your feedback, because like I said, every now and again, I have a sense that she is still settling in, and a little more trust is being achieved. I'm completely OK with that. But, your remarks do confirm my inner suspicions. So, thank you very much. =)

Sailor Kenshin
March 28th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Cuuuuuuuuuuute!

Greenfire
March 28th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I'm from Nebraska awhile back and use to watch the cranes all the time. Wisconsin now has its own small flock of Sandhill Cranes. I would love to be back on the North Platte River.

Laura N
March 28th, 2015, 03:59 PM
I'm from Nebraska awhile back and use to watch the cranes all the time. Wisconsin now has its own small flock of Sandhill Cranes. I would love to be back on the North Platte River.

Wonderful news, to me in Illinois. Didn't Aldo Leopold write about sandhill cranes in Wisconsin? I may be mistaken, and it's been decades since I read the book, but I feel like A Sand County Almanac may have touched on that.

Laura N
March 28th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I can't forbear to point out that Roald Amundsen used dog sleds to win the race to the South Pole. Which is located, of course, in Antarctica. All part of the big circle of life, and Mystery Ink. :)

Neo
March 28th, 2015, 04:07 PM
:pound:

Uncle Bud
March 28th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Hi,

Sorry, been away for a few days, I'm honoured to be picked for this round. Look forward to reviewing this ink.

Cheers,

Uncle Bud

klpeabody
March 28th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Hi,

Sorry, been away for a few days, I'm honoured to be picked for this round. Look forward to reviewing this ink.

Cheers,

Uncle Bud

Thanks, Uncle Bud. I received your PM. Thanks so much for following up. I will send off your mystery ink sample early next week. Enjoy!

Cob
March 28th, 2015, 05:57 PM
We may all need to go running at dawn to burn off the calories :dance3:

Walking a few yards to the car is quite enough exercise thank you very much!

Cob

Alec_J
March 28th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Hey Mystery Ink fans,

The overseas samples for MI#6 were shipped out from the post office this morning, yay! To be clear, a sample has been sent to Cryptos and inlovewithjournals. I still haven't heard from Uncle Bud re: a shipping address, and a follow up PM was sent. I do hope that you can join us for this round, Uncle Bud.

The remaining packages have been put together and will be mailed out early-ish next week. I really hope everyone enjoys this round of MI. I have been waiting with anticipation to send this one out, and am very eager to hear your remarks/observations after using this one.

In other news, my little rescue dog, Luna, graduated from basic doggie obedience class this afternoon. Yay!! She is now ready for bigger and better things, such as "off-leash" commands. Just for giggles, I've included her big "doggie smile" for your enjoyment. She is such a sweet little dog, and my husband and I are just having so much fun with her - but, she's a bit of a character. She will only give us a "doggie smile" at doggie class, because she knows that she is about to receive a lot of praise rewards in the form of string cheese for a whole hour. I am thinking about having a doggie t-shirt made just for her, which says: "Will smile for food". lol. She's just too much. ;)

Anyway, I digress...back to important things, and I do hope you all enjoy this round of MI! And, I hope your samples arrive quickly through the mail.

Karen

Luna is a beautiful baby!! How old is she? My wife and I have 3 rescues. We have a husky, a golden and a chihuahua! Quite the mix. We have had them 10, 9, and 8 years respectively. Rescues are so grateful and loving! You have a loyal companion for life! Thanks for sharing!

klpeabody
March 28th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Hey Mystery Ink fans,

Karen

Luna is a beautiful baby!! How old is she? My wife and I have 3 rescues. We have a husky, a golden and a chihuahua! Quite the mix. We have had them 10, 9, and 8 years respectively. Rescues are so grateful and loving! You have a loyal companion for life! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Alec! My husband and I have had her for approx 5 months. We adopted her at the end of September 2014. Currently, we are condo dwellers, but I wish we had a fenced in yard here, because if we did, then I would either adopt more or try to foster dogs for rescue orgs.

Wow, you do have quite the mix! Is your chihuahua the boss? lol.

I agree, rescue dogs are forever friends. Luna has been no exception.

I am hoping to take her through enough training to become a therapy dog. I think she has the disposition for it. We'll see in time how she responds to that, I guess. =)

Crazyorange
March 28th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Luna is a cutie:) I want to give her a big hug. She's lucky to have you as her mommy. [emoji8]

klpeabody
March 28th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Luna is a cutie:) I want to give her a big hug. She's lucky to have you as her mommy. [emoji8]

Aw, shucks. Thanks. You are so sweet. =)

Uncle Bud
March 29th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Hi,

Cheers,

Uncle Bud

Thanks, Uncle Bud. I received your PM. Thanks so much for following up. I will send off your mystery ink sample early next week. Enjoy!

Hi,

I'm certain I will, looking forward to seeing it and letting you know what I think. Cheers Bud

metalsmith.golfer
March 30th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm interested. I live in Maryland.

inlovewithjournals
March 30th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Hey Mystery Ink fans,

Karen

Thank you Karen it looks like a race between Cryptos and myself to see who can receive it and review it first! I will check my mailroom hourly. ;)

Luna is a beautiful mascot for MI6! Surely she deserves some string cheese for that?

Neo
March 30th, 2015, 02:30 PM
The way to Luna's heart is through her stomach?

Empty_of_Clouds
March 30th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Thank you Karen it looks like a race between Cryptos and myself to see who can receive it and review it first! I will check my mailroom hourly.

Oh I think it will be no contest. US to Canada is surely much quicker than US to New Zealand!

reprieve
March 30th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Klp, your lovely Luna is beautiful and looks very sweet. Just looking at that photo of her doggie smile made me so happy. Thanks for posting it.

klpeabody
March 30th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Thank you Karen it looks like a race between Cryptos and myself to see who can receive it and review it first! I will check my mailroom hourly.

Oh I think it will be no contest. US to Canada is surely much quicker than US to New Zealand!

Well Cryptos, because it is your birthday, I put a little extra postage on it. I hope it gets to you a little quicker than originally expected. Keep me posted!

klpeabody
March 30th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Klp, your lovely Luna is beautiful and looks very sweet. Just looking at that photo of her doggie smile made me so happy. Thanks for posting it.

Thank you so much, and you are so very welcome! I know what you mean, looking at her makes me so happy, too. =D

klpeabody
March 30th, 2015, 06:07 PM
The way to Luna's heart is through her stomach?

"Will smile for food."
Yes.
lol.
She's a character.

klpeabody
March 30th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Hey Mystery Ink fans,

Karen

Thank you Karen it looks like a race between Cryptos and myself to see who can receive it and review it first! I will check my mailroom hourly. ;)

Luna is a beautiful mascot for MI6! Surely she deserves some string cheese for that?

You are welcome! I think it will be a race, indeed! I hope it arrives promptly.
I agree, string cheese is definitely in order!

klpeabody
March 30th, 2015, 06:13 PM
This is just a quick post to simply say that Uncle Bud's sample was shipped today, and hopefully, it will arrive somewhat promptly. Crossing my fingers.

US MI#6 participants: to give the overseas samples a head start, I have not yet mailed your samples. However, your packages are ready and waiting to go. I think I will bring them to the post office either tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm thinking tomorrow may be more prudent, as we have the Good Friday holiday coming up at the end of the week, so there will be a delay in the mails due to the fact that it is a federal holiday.

Uncle Bud
March 31st, 2015, 01:54 PM
This is just a quick post to simply say that Uncle Bud's sample was shipped today, and hopefully, it will arrive somewhat promptly. Crossing my fingers.

US MI#6 participants: to give the overseas samples a head start, I have not yet mailed your samples. However, your packages are ready and waiting to go. I think I will bring them to the post office either tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm thinking tomorrow may be more prudent, as we have the Good Friday holiday coming up at the end of the week, so there will be a delay in the mails due to the fact that it is a federal holiday.

Can't wait, thanks Karen

klpeabody
March 31st, 2015, 04:58 PM

Can't wait, thanks Karen

You are quite welcome! Enjoy!

Laura N
April 1st, 2015, 01:56 PM
Oh good news. I was happily surprised to find MI6 in my mailbox today. Thanks, klp. I'm looking forward to it.

klpeabody
April 1st, 2015, 02:37 PM
Oh good news. I was happily surprised to find MI6 in my mailbox today. Thanks, klp. I'm looking forward to it.

Very glad to hear that it arrived!! I hope you enjoy this one! Looking forward to your review. [emoji3]

Laura N
April 1st, 2015, 05:02 PM

Very glad to hear that it arrived!! I hope you enjoy this one! Looking forward to your review. [emoji3]

Also check your mail on Friday. Orange ink incoming, a follow-up on MI5. You, too, naimitsu. :)

I think I will no longer send PMs, now that MI threads exist. So handy, don't you think? :)

klpeabody
April 1st, 2015, 06:51 PM

Also check your mail on Friday. Orange ink incoming, a follow-up on MI5. You, too, naimitsu. :)

I think I will no longer send PMs, now that MI threads exist. So handy, don't you think? :)

Thanks so much, Laura! I am very excited to see what turns up in my mailbox! I love surprises. =)

I think the MI threads have proven handy indeed! But, life just wouldn't be the same if there weren't PM's with Laura. lol. ;-)

inlovewithjournals
April 1st, 2015, 07:12 PM
I got mine today too! Super fast shipping. Can't wait to clean out some pens and get going!

Empty_of_Clouds
April 1st, 2015, 09:22 PM
Nothing doing here yet :( and I am off school all next week (but I will call in and ask if there are any mysterious looking packages!).

klpeabody
April 2nd, 2015, 06:03 PM
Hi MI#6 folks. Everyone's samples are now en route, as the remaining samples were shipped to the US participants yesterday afternoon. I do hope that they arrive in speedy fashion. I look forward to hearing about everyone's observations (and seeing the photos!) regarding this interesting little ink.

Cryptos, given the fact that the sample is shipping from the US to New Zealand, I think it would be fair to say that we guessed it might take a bit for your sample to get to you. Hopefully, with the little extra postage, it won't take as long. I guess with school being out, it would be a good time to play with some ink though, right? Crossing my fingers that it gets to you quickly.

naimitsu
April 2nd, 2015, 06:32 PM

You are totally awesome, Laura!
Thanks again :)

akapulko2020
April 3rd, 2015, 04:39 AM
We've adopted a rescue puppy 4 months ago, we aren't sure about her earlier history but she has been with an amazing foster family from the age of month or so.
From day one she's been the most anxious and fearful doggie I have ever met. She's literally afraid of her own shadow at times. She's slowly improving though, and when the foster family ( nice student couple who already have two dogs) came to visit, they were pretty amazed in her being much less fearful than she used to be.
I joke that she'll grow into a regular dog in a couple of years... ( we used to have a rescue boxer. The most trusting and happy creature ever. She died quite suddenly . The decision to adopt something entirely different breed wise was based on the fact that I still tear up whenever I see a boxer [emoji26] )
your story about the cat that finally feels at home after 10 years is so heartwarming.. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/03/2125626dde7c7609fc941232de273f69.jpg

tandaina
April 3rd, 2015, 06:54 AM
Awww, she's a cutie! We've got a border/Shepherd cross rescue. Sweetest, most intelligent dog I have ever owned. But oh that cross leads to an anxious pup because she wants to herd an guard everything, and when she can't, meltdown. ;)

akapulko2020
April 3rd, 2015, 06:57 AM
Sorry for thread hijacking [emoji15]

klpeabody
April 3rd, 2015, 06:59 AM
Oh heck, no apologies necessary! She's a super cutie and I'm always a sucker for a "show us your dogs" discussion. Especially a good rescue dog story. :hippie:

I'm so glad that she's settling in with you, and feeling less fearful. What is your pup's name?

Laura N
April 3rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
So MI6 gives me the opportunity to use a color I don't use very much:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_0929_zpsuppgahze.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_0929_zpsuppgahze.jpg.html)

Purple!

I put it in my so-called Purple Lamy Al-Star with an EF nib. It's a nice dark purple color that I think leans red. (Although never burgundy like the so-called Purple Lamy Al-Star.) It's legible, and a nice color. It luckily for me lacks the crepe-like dreariness of a blackish purple like Diamine Eclipse. But nor does it have the pastel quality of Pilot Iroshizuku Marasaki-shikibu. It's neither lavender, nor lilac. It is a jewel-tone purple, almost a wintery purple. It's almost grape-like, but not quite. It's not Iris or crocus blue, which to me are purples. I don't really see it as a royal purple either -- it has too much red for that. So it's an interesting and unconventional purple, for me.

I find it saturated, but not incredibly so: probably a 7/10 or 8/10 in saturation.

I like how it feels in this pen: nicely lubricated and a bit wet. It needs 10 seconds to dry for me on Clairefontaine or Rhodia.

I don't think this is a color I personally would enjoy in great swathes from a medium or broad nib, so I'll probably just use it in finer nibs. I bet it would be great in a Japanese F or EF, though I suspect it would give a slightly wider line than expected.

It does not have much shading in person, when you look at the page, but you can see some in extreme close-up.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_0924_zpstgsvjbxh.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_0924_zpstgsvjbxh.jpg.html)

It's not a color that I find serious enough for work, but I think it would work well for notes and letters.

I am not the world's largest purple ink fan, to be honest, so this wouldn't be an ink I'd use a lot. However, it's a nice one. Rich but not heavy, easy to read but still friendly.

I did a half-baked paper towel chromatography, with bad technique, but I found the results a little surprising, so I thought I'd post a photo anyway. It seems like a relatively simple mixture, with a lovely (to me) subdued slate blue mixed with a fairly hot pink. I like the creativity of that mixture. It's almost yin-yang. Note that only the top splotch is useful, because the water didn't totally reach the bottom one.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_0923_zpssiouhz9w.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_0923_zpssiouhz9w.jpg.html)

The most important quality of any red or purple ink to me is how easily (or not) it cleans up from a pen. I'd like to keep it in the pen for at least a week to test that, so I'll have to report back on the clean-up. I ran my writing sample under a faucet, and it is not waterproof. Most of the dye runs off, but, only most, leaving a lighter but legible trace behind. That trace seems to be a light blue gray, which I assume is the slate blue dye we see above. I am guessing this means it's going to be an easier-to-clean purple than many, which I view as an enormous plus. Though fans of waterproof ink will perhaps have to look elsewhere.

Thanks very much, klp, for a chance to try MI6! I never would have selected this one, and I'm glad I have it.

klpeabody
April 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
VERY nice review, Laura. =D
As usual, your photos are excellent. The chromatography photo is particularly sweet. Thank you!

Jon Szanto
April 3rd, 2015, 02:03 PM
Reviewed like a boss!

inlovewithjournals
April 3rd, 2015, 04:04 PM
Laura, excellent review! I also thought this was a nicely lubricated, wet ink. For myself I would have no problem using this at work, as I feel it is sedate and dignified as opposed to being bright and annoying. My review follows.

https://inlovewithjournals.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/20150403_1339121-e1428092821291.jpg

The pens I used for this review. The purple ink matches the Prima barrel very nicely; I just may have to order a bottle when the identity is revealed.

https://inlovewithjournals.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/20150403_1341081-e1428093109511.jpg

Yes I do realize I spelled Antarctica with only one c on the form - horror!!

https://inlovewithjournals.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/20150403_140519-e1428093299402.jpg

Spread? Wasn't sure so left it blank. I also did not reveal the name of the comparison inks, even though none of them could really be a serious contender for the mystery ink. The middle one comes close but it's not a match. And I messed up the 3 sec dry time test so I re-tested. As Laura pointed out, her dry time was much longer for a higher quality paper.

https://inlovewithjournals.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/20150403_144814-e1428094686600.jpg

Laura was right; there is not alot of shading to this ink. What shading there is can be seen in this photo, but it's subtle.

https://inlovewithjournals.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/20150403_145204-e1428094805915.jpg

And I thought this was another lovely quote about Antarctica so I included it.

And that's about it. Thank you Karen and Laura for including me in this round; I've had a lot of fun doing this review, the first of many I expect. A longer review will be up on my blog tomorrow. :)

Laura N
April 3rd, 2015, 04:09 PM
^^ I love the quotes about Antarctica!

reprieve
April 3rd, 2015, 05:15 PM
Oh, I love purple inks! I have three guesses. Question: on Rhodia or Clairefontaine, does it still smear at all even after it's dry?

Laura N
April 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
Oh, I love purple inks! I have three guesses. Question: on Rhodia or Clairefontaine, does it still smear at all even after it's dry?

It does not: it's been admirably well-behaved for me.

I actually checked that as I was writing. Once a line had dried, it set. It does go onto the paper with a nice glisten of wet ink, and it takes the full 10 seconds to dry, but at that point it doesn't smear (for me at least). :)

inlovewithjournals
April 3rd, 2015, 08:37 PM

It does not: it's been admirably well-behaved for me.

I actually checked that as I was writing. Once a line had dried, it set. It does go onto the paper with a nice glisten of wet ink, and it takes the full 10 seconds to dry, but at that point it doesn't smear (for me at least). :)

My experience was exactly the same as Laura's; the Antarctica quotes in my review are on Rhodia paper. :)

Crazyorange
April 4th, 2015, 05:28 AM
Can someone compare other purple inks to the mystery ink?

Chrissy
April 4th, 2015, 06:07 AM

I don't have MI6 but I did some purple ink comparisons on my ink reviews for Diamine Grape and Damson if they are of any help

Sammyo
April 4th, 2015, 06:41 AM

Once I receive it I can do that. I also plan a get together with the GKN pen posse where we will do a group review, I will put out the feelers for people to bring their purple inks too... just for you mind ;)

ilangai
April 4th, 2015, 10:17 AM
A little late, as I've been in flight mode, but I really like this MI6 reviews so far and can't wait to see more..
A shady, wet, stable purple is exactly what I'm looking at the moment..

tandaina
April 4th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Mine arrived last night, I've got work this morning so will ink it up this afternoon and see what it is like

Sailor Kenshin
April 4th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Now I can look! I wanted to wait until I could play with my sample.

The scanner's been hijacked (ten thousand slides; don't ask) for the moment. But I have been cleaning this ink from my pen for two hours and I only dipped it!

I like it...I can see the hot-pink element when the ink swirls away from the nib ( nib flush # 5 in progress).

Maybe later tonight I can re-capture the scanner and get the image up.

Uncle Bud
April 4th, 2015, 01:24 PM
We've adopted a rescue puppy 4 months ago, we aren't sure about her earlier history but she has been with an amazing foster family from the age of month or so.
From day one she's been the most anxious and fearful doggie I have ever met. She's literally afraid of her own shadow at times. She's slowly improving though, and when the foster family ( nice student couple who already have two dogs) came to visit, they were pretty amazed in her being much less fearful than she used to be.
I joke that she'll grow into a regular dog in a couple of years... ( we used to have a rescue boxer. The most trusting and happy creature ever. She died quite suddenly . The decision to adopt something entirely different breed wise was based on the fact that I still tear up whenever I see a boxer [emoji26] )
your story about the cat that finally feels at home after 10 years is so heartwarming.. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/03/2125626dde7c7609fc941232de273f69.jpg

Awwwwww, she is so super cute. I too adopt a lot of animals, due to my job mainly cats, give her loads of time and lots of love and she'll be just fine. We adopted 2 10 year old cats that had been severely abused, so much so that my wife thought they would never come round. She was nearly right, 6 years later and in the evenings now we sit and have one each on our laps. Kindness will always win through in the end. Did I say she was super cute!

akapulko2020
April 4th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Oh heck, no apologies necessary! She's a super cutie and I'm always a sucker for a "show us your dogs" discussion. Especially a good rescue dog story. :hippie:

I'm so glad that she's settling in with you, and feeling less fearful. What is your pup's name?
Her name is Emma.. [emoji5]
She's actually less fearful when she joins us for our biweekly or so visits to my mother in law. Might have something to do with the fact that she's scared of our cats at times (3 rescue adult ones and a younger kitten brought home by our 5.5 yr old not to long ago. Wonder where did he get the idea from [emoji13] http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/04/03c34d7bd3394b18e2d9fcf6a020c73b.jpg ] Half the time the pup is trying to play with the cats though, and it's hilarious to look at. )

Edith
April 4th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I am eager to find out what this ink is! It looks like just the color I have been wanting.

klpeabody
April 4th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Ilan and Edith: please stay tuned for the big reveal. It may take a couple of days as the samples are still arriving at their intended destinations, but I am hoping that you will be pleasantly surprised by this one.

Uncle Bud
April 4th, 2015, 04:49 PM

Her name is Emma.. [emoji5]
She's actually less fearful when she joins us for our biweekly or so visits to my mother in law. Might have something to do with the fact that she's scared of our cats at times (3 rescue adult ones and a younger kitten brought home by our 5.5 yr old not to long ago. Wonder where did he get the idea from [emoji13] http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/04/03c34d7bd3394b18e2d9fcf6a020c73b.jpg ] Half the time the pup is trying to play with the cats though, and it's hilarious to look at. )

Aren't pets just the best. Not then best thing to say on a pen forum, but......... I actually could live without my pens, but my pets........... No way, I know, but it is how I feel.

tandaina
April 4th, 2015, 06:45 PM

Just a quick sample with my BB oblique cursive italic Nakaya. A little shaking, but not a lot. But this nib puts down a lot of ink. That's Tomoe River Paper. I got a much lighter result on more obsorbent paper.

Sailor Kenshin
April 4th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Update: I wrestled the scanner away and was able to capture this.

This is a slinky ink! The flow and smoothitude was remarkable. With a single dip, I was able to write this mini-review, AND a short letter to a pen pal. However, several hours later, tendrils of purple/pink are still emerging from the nib.

I think MI 6 would pair well with MI 3. The CDA Sunset that looked like raspberry sorbet.

For my own identification purposes, I'm calling it Elderberry...though there's no such ink name as far as I know.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8689/16416251243_a14874476d_c.jpg

The scan makes it look almost black. Though it is very dark, it has lighter and warmer tones than shown here, though no shading that I can see. But talk about flow! No smearage, either...a boon for us southpaw hookers. ;)

Like Laura N, I'm not a big purple ink person, but this one has some wonderful properties. I'm enjoying it.

PS: last night the water in which I was soaking the dipped nib finally ran clear....BUT when I applied paper towel to the nib, nope. So I accidentally did a chroma, lol. Slate and hot pink says it well.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7706/17014985336_dca38c8ed1_c.jpg

naimitsu
April 5th, 2015, 07:54 AM

Once I receive it I can do that. I also plan a get together with the GKN pen posse where we will do a group review, I will put out the feelers for people to bring their purple inks too... just for you mind ;)

I've already pulled all of my purple samples in preparation... and have another twelve purples on the way. Hopefully they get in before the meet!

Crazyorange
April 5th, 2015, 07:56 AM

I've already pulled all of my purple samples in preparation... and have another twelve purples on the way. Hopefully they get in before the meet!

Sweet! Sounds like a purple of a time. ;)

Neo
April 5th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Have a purple day! :clap2:

Laura N
April 5th, 2015, 09:33 AM
I suspect there are a lot of purples that are close.

Or else it's a coincidence that I've just received two letters, using two different purple inks, each of which made me say, "Is that MI6?" :)

Which I hesitate to say because one of those folks is on this thread. :wave: But mum's the word. Of course. :)

inlovewithjournals
April 5th, 2015, 10:45 AM

Wow that will be one exhaustive review! Can't wait naimitsu. :)

elaineb
April 5th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Just a note: one of my favorite dusty purple mixes is Diamine prussian blue ink mixed with J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen. It's the same idea of a slate blue/black warmed up by a very bright pink. You can get a very wide range of nice, legible purples by varying proportions of each color. (I don't keep track of what I do for each batch, as I mix by eye and stop when I get something I feel like using that day.)

klpeabody
April 5th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Just a note: one of my favorite dusty purple mixes is Diamine prussian blue ink mixed with J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen. It's the same idea of a slate blue/black warmed up by a very bright pink. You can get a very wide range of nice, legible purples by varying proportions of each color. (I don't keep track of what I do for each batch, as I mix by eye and stop when I get something I feel like using that day.)

Thank you for the suggestion! I may try my hand at this, myself.

Sammyo
April 5th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Wow that will be one exhaustive review! Can't wait naimitsu. :)
So here's the deal, I have a few purples and Naimitsu will have a whole lot more. We will prepare the fullest list we can between all of us, however... to be fair to the MI forum and spirit of what it represents, we will post it after the ink has been revealed. That will also give more shipping time for Naimitsu's ink :) I hope you understand why I think we should do this, after all patience is a virtue ;)

Crazyorange
April 5th, 2015, 06:29 PM
That's a great idea. I agree....you might figure out what the mystery ink is.

Chrissy
April 6th, 2015, 02:42 AM

I also have J Herbin Rose Cyclamen, and I think it's a very good pink. It's much better than it looks on their web-site swab. I must get some Diamine Prussian Blue and try out your mixture.

elaineb
April 6th, 2015, 06:40 AM
It doesn't have to be Diamine Prussian -- most blue-blacks will work. I just happen to like Prussian and somehow ended up with two bottles. :)

klpeabody
April 6th, 2015, 05:46 PM
This is just a quick shout out to Cryptos - our participant hailing from New Zealand: I received an email notification from the U.S. Post Office that your MI#6 ink sample vial was delivered to it's destination. YAY!! I've sent you a PM to this effect as well, but I'm just so delighted that it arrived to you so quickly. I sent it to you a week ago Saturday; that's 9 days to New Zealand (and two of those days were Sundays), which I am very happy with. I'm hoping you enjoy it, Cryptos.

Sammyo
April 6th, 2015, 05:57 PM
My sample has arrived :)
Now to get it in pens and organise the GKN pen posse, beer, paper, comparison samples, etc...
Thank you klpeabody for the lovely note and purple based Hello Kitty tape, it was notice and appreciated :)

klpeabody
April 6th, 2015, 06:07 PM
My sample has arrived :)
Now to get it in pens and organise the GKN pen posse, beer, paper, comparison samples, etc...
Thank you klpeabody for the lovely note and purple based Hello Kitty tape, it was notice and appreciated :)

Glad it arrived! LOL, glad you appreciated the Hello Kitty packing tape. ;-)

Looking forward to your thoughts, opinions, and observations!

Empty_of_Clouds
April 8th, 2015, 04:05 AM
Sample is here!! :bump2:

Will be loading it up tomorrow. Just had to travel intercity to take my partner back to her place of internship and then return home by myself, so I am a bit tired right now and off to bed.

Laura N
April 8th, 2015, 12:35 PM
A few follow-up observations on MI6.

Cleanup from an Al-Star was moderately easy. After one week in the pen, MI6 cleaned up with water only, though I needed more cycles of flushing and shaking the converter than with a low-maintenance ink like Waterman Serenity Blue. Would I try it in a piston filler? I would, but I'd probably expect to need pen flush for that.

I'm not sure why my cleaning experience was so much easier than Sailor Kenshin's, but maybe it's the pen. With this one, the nib and feed cleaned up very quickly. The only thing that took time was the converter, as often happens for me with the Lamy converter.

The ink really does have excellent lubrication and flow. I didn't use this pen every day, but whenever I picked it up again it started writing immediately with no hesitation.

Finally, and this is personal taste, I much prefer the ink on white paper. When I used it on an absorbent cream colored paper (not Tomoe River), I was surprised to see that the ink looked much darker -- really almost like a black ink. Of course, that quality might be a positive for people using the ink at work. :)

Sailor Kenshin
April 8th, 2015, 01:55 PM
And I only dipped mine!

Maybe it says more about the 78G feed than the ink.

Uncle Bud
April 8th, 2015, 02:03 PM
After a 14 hour shift at work, I come home and, yah...... My sample has arrived. I'll use it normally over Thursday and Friday then I'll complete my ink review sheet and post my thoughts. Thanks Karen, much appreciated. Bud

P.S. What was the paper used for your note, it looks really interesting.

klpeabody
April 8th, 2015, 04:06 PM
After a 14 hour shift at work, I come home and, yah...... My sample has arrived. I'll use it normally over Thursday and Friday then I'll complete my ink review sheet and post my thoughts. Thanks Karen, much appreciated. Bud

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and observations! If I recall correctly, the note is sent was written on Tomoe River paper.

klpeabody
April 8th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Sample is here!! :bump2:

Will be loading it up tomorrow. Just had to travel intercity to take my partner back to her place of internship and then return home by myself, so I am a bit tired right now and off to bed.

Glad it's in your hands, and I look forward to your reading about your experience with MI#6.

tandaina
April 8th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I'm still using mine and enjoying it. This isn't a guess, just something that struck me.

It reminds me in some respects (though not color at all) of Diamine Bilberry. It has the same sort of lubricated feel (hard to put into words, unique). It is also dark and rich like Bilberry, and shades in a very sophisticated way. It just "feels" similar. Totally different colors entirely. But Diamine Bilberry is one of my favorite inks, I just like how it behaves and this feels like it to me. So there you go. For what that's worth. ;)

Empty_of_Clouds
April 8th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Okay, I've loaded it up in a couple of pens and had a small play around with it, thus:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8736/17056781246_d9ff3da40f_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rZfsPh)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7595/16896541779_1933836c07_o.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s2tZ5p]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8763/17082052491_8e8692e72c_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rK6ccR)

Sorry, my photography skills suck hugely. I cannot seem to get the colour to show as richly as it does to the naked eye. This ink is a deep dark purple. Glorious to behold, and befitting of an Emperor!

BCDDiggler
April 8th, 2015, 06:43 PM
V nice. thanks! I want it! :D

Uncle Bud
April 9th, 2015, 12:08 AM

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and observations! If I recall correctly, the note is sent was written on Tomoe River paper.

Obviously I've heard lots about Tomoe River, but can't find anyone in the UK who sells it. This is my first time seeing it in person, and it looks very interesting.

migo984
April 9th, 2015, 01:40 AM

Obviously I've heard lots about Tomoe River, but can't find anyone in the UK who sells it. This is my first time seeing it in person, and it looks very interesting.

Uncle Bud - suggest you contact Sach, a UK member on FPN, for supply of Tomoe River, at reasonable cost. I think harrietthespy also sells sheets, sent from Europe (France/Netherlands) at a good price. Shipping is reasonable too.

Uncle Bud
April 9th, 2015, 03:31 AM

Uncle Bud - suggest you contact Sach, a UK member on FPN, for supply of Tomoe River, at reasonable cost. I think harrietthespy also sells sheets, sent from Europe (France/Netherlands) at a good price. Shipping is reasonable too.

Thanks for the contact migo984. I've pm'd Sach and asked if he has any left. Cheers Bud

Chrissy
April 9th, 2015, 04:45 AM

If you absolutely can't get any, I could spare you some of my own personal stock. So please PM me

Uncle Bud
April 9th, 2015, 06:06 AM

If you absolutely can't get any, I could spare you some of my own personal stock. So please PM me

Hi Chrissy,

Thanks for your very kind offer, but thanks to migo984, three A4 pads will be winging there way to me tomorrow morning. Sach had three pads left until his next lot of paper arrives, so I bought all 3. Where did you get yours in case I have trouble again in the future, and thanks again for the offer.

Cheers,

Bud.

Chrissy
April 9th, 2015, 06:17 AM

Hi Chrissy,

Thanks for your very kind offer, but thanks to migo984, three A4 pads will be winging there way to me tomorrow morning. Sach had three pads left until his next lot of paper arrives, so I bought all 3. Where did you get yours in case I have trouble again in the future, and thanks again for the offer.

Cheers,

Bud.

I bought some of mine in the US and some from Sach I believe.

klpeabody
April 9th, 2015, 06:11 PM
So, while I had a quiet minute, before the busy weekend arrives, I thought I might add my thoughts about MI#6.

Before I begin, I want to say that everyone's reviews have been stellar, and my experience largely echoes those opinions already expressed, so I will do my best to not be too redundant with my post.

First, my introductory photo:

Being that I sponsored this edition of Mystery Ink, I had previously inked a LAMY Al-Star with medium nib, and it wrote very nicely with generous ink flow coming from an already wet writing pen. So, this time, I inked a Sailor 1911M fine nib, and an Edison Huron fine nib. I've used both somewhat consistently in previous Mystery Ink editions. Both pens showed very generous inkflow coming from the nib. The line coming from the japanese fine nib is usually quite fine, but with MI6 looked wider than normal; the line coming from the Edison fine really was almost like that of a medium nib, and the ink appears almost black at some points, because of the combination of the wet writing pen and this nicely lubricated ink. My writing experience with both pens was very pleasant. (Paper used here was my Stilman & Birn Epsilon ink journal.)

I also did a comparison to other red-leaning purples that I currently have in possession. I think that I have perhaps disclosed in other threads that I'm not really a big purple ink enthusiast, but I do, however, enjoy a small niche of purples. I've included some comparisons as follows:
MI#6 is the first swab, followed by various shades of red-leaning purple. I apologize for comparison #2 appearing so dark, but it is a purple, just hard to photograph even in outdoor lighting. (Paper used is Stilman & Birn Epsilon ink journal.)

I also performed some writing samples on Staples Bagasse as I use that regularly for note taking in a project I'm working on. This same project also involves lots of standard copy paper. Testing on both HP#24 and Staples Bagasse was less than stellar. I found a lot of bleed-like behavior on bagasse; performance on HP#24 was similar although not as bad. I personally don't care about slight bleeding and feathering, since I'm only referring to margin notes and underlining, and I didn't even notice it right away, until I took photographs for this review. Upon viewing the photographs, I could instantly see bleeding and feathering. It wasn't terrible, and it's fine for personal notes, but I'm not including those pictures either.

After reading some of the reviews and responses in this thread, I decided to play with it in my pocket Rhodia notebook a little:

(quote inspired by Pentulant's Instagram feed.)

This ink loves to play on Rhodia paper. As others have attested, it does not take forever to dry. I drew this entire doodle with no smudges. That's spectacular.

This ink also plays very well on Tomoe River paper:

I've included a writing sample against one of the purples used in my comparison swab photo. I believe the comparison ink used is #4.

Overall, I enjoy the color. I really like it. I very much like the darkness of this purple, and find that it is exactly the color I was looking for. I like that it looks almost black when inked in certain pens, but that in other pens the plum-like appearance shows through. I love "plum" colored purples, and so I cannot emphasize enough how "on the mark" this particular ink was as far as matching my expectations and hopes of what the color would be when inked in a pen. It gets high marks for this.

I can also second other people's observations about difficulty to rinse out of the pen. Some have said that it was "no sweat"; others said it was a chore. I have had both experiences. The blunt syringe I used to fill all of the Mystery Ink sample vials was out of commission for some time, requiring repeated rinsing, as the ink clung onto the insides of the syringe. Given this difficulty, I decided to empty the ink from my Edison Huron (my favorite pen) a little bit earlier than planned. Upon cleaning, found that after a thorough flushing, there was still some ink in the towel after letting the pen dry overnight, and a second rinse is necessary.

But, please allow me to caveat my previous statement, I am not afraid of a saturated ink. I have a lot of saturated inks, and I will continue to use saturated and even highly-saturated inks. However, use will be limited to those pens that I know I can easily unscrew the nib section for soaking before cleaning, and when using such inks, I don't leave it in the pen too long, perhaps less than a week. This really speaks to my un-favorite task of pen cleaning, which I do because I care for my pens, but I don't love doing it often. I am in no way deterring anyone from using this ink, in fact, I encourage it, but I merely clarify my remarks to reflect how I plan to use this ink in the future.

Lastly, I wish this ink was more compatible with everyday papers like Staples Bagasse, and HP#24. But, again, it gives such a pleasant writing experience that this would be a good pick for a day when I'm in the mood to write long letters.

I hope everyone has enjoyed this round of mystery ink! I am personally getting a little excited for the big reveal.

Sammyo
April 9th, 2015, 07:18 PM
So we had our little get together, I will do full write up with pictures, comments and findings later. However here is a little bit of what went down :)
Beer,, food, pens, paper... all is good in the world.
Look at all those ink samples and dip pens... and beer!!!!

Thank you to everyone that showed up, and a special shout out to Naimitsu for bringing her new Franklin-Christoph Model 27 with the Masuyama stub nib... what a wonderful pen :)

migo984
April 9th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I think I have a good idea what MI6 might be. I have a *lot* of purple inks & the MI has some distinct characteristics that set it apart. Can't wait to find out if I'm close..........

Uncle Bud
April 10th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Well, I've used this ink for a couple of days now, and not being a purple lover, it is deep enough that I could use it both at work for personal notes, and for a few letters. I'll get the picture up before I say more:-

This ink offers very good lubrication, and is quite, the only way I can describe it is 'thick'. Flow was excellent, and I never had any issues with hard starts or skipping. It does bleedthrough and showthrough on the cheaper paper at work, on Black n' Red (my usual paper) and Rhodia this didn't pose any problems. There is shading with this ink, but it is very subtle, although quite beautiful. As you can see from the swab, where the ink pools, it can appear almost black, and only on closer inspection do you see the purple coming through, this also happen when broader nibs are used. On Fine and Extra Fine the shade isn't nearly as dark.

As I said in the review, I'm certain this isn't, but it reminds me a lot of Diamine Grape, both in colour and characteristics. This ink also looked good in my TWSBI mini classic, where you could see the ink sloshing about. I don't have any flex pens but I would think that this would be a good ink to flex with due to the viscosity.

To summarise, this is a very dark purple, with good flow and lubricates the nib well. I wouldn't recommend this ink for use on cheaper papers, but on good quality it is very well behaved, with some subtle shading.

Now to the bad point (and there was only one)....... Cleaning this ink out of a feed does take time. I had to do several flushes from my Safari to remove most of the ink, after that I just dropped it in the sonic cleaner for 8 minutes, and that was it very clean again.

I think I have a good idea what this ink is, and I have pm'd my guess, so we will see when the reveal happens. It was great fun being part of Mystery Ink #6, and would like to say thanks for being picked. I would certainly do this again.

Cheers,

Bud.

Sammyo
April 11th, 2015, 10:05 AM
So we had our GKN pen posse get together, there was five of us in total (one guy got stuck in a late meeting) and here is what we found...

We put it in four pens:
Platinum Century #3776 - Japanese fine nib
Cross Century II - Western medium nib
Sheaffer No Nonsense - Medium calligraphy nib
Fraklin-Cristoph model 27 Collegia - Masuyama stub nib (Oh my!)

We all liked this ink, even those of us that weren't particularly "purple people". To repeat what others have already said, the flow and lubrication was excellent. From a Japanese fine to a medium calligraphy nib, it worked just as well. At first we thought it didn't feather at all... but as we drank more and used different papers it got worse... or we just noticed it ;) Was it spread or feather?!?!? somewhere between the two, but nowhere near unacceptable. It was dark enough to use for business in a broader nib if you don't mind a bit of colour ;)
The colour is rich and feels warm.. in a dark way!??! It had a little shading on nicer paper and a broader nib, and on the Tomoe River paper had some sheen. I am a huge fan of Diamine Amazing Amethyst and this gave it a run for it's money for me. Also this stuff is waterproof... at least in the tests I did. I ran it under a tap for 20 seconds and it left a perfectly legible grey line, not a thin line... a full on, legible one.

Group thoughts:
"It is interesting how it changes between nib sizes"
"I will be angry if this is not available"
"The lightness in the fine nib is nice"
"The darkness in the medium nib is nice"
"The richness out of the medium and medium italic is really nice"
"If i liked purple I would buy it"
"It's very... purpley!"

It is a great ink that behaves so well. I will try cleaning a pen soon, I have it in three pens to see how it does in each. I will report back later on that part.

My wife loves purple ink and has said that if it is available she would buy it for her pens.

I will let other who were there add their comments... even though I think only one of them is an FPGeeks member.
A special thank you to klpeabody, I really appreciate the opportunity to be involved and I really enjoyed myself doing this... after all, there was beer ;)

Also while I was preparing the write up, my daughter wanted to help so I let her draw some pictures... and she made me promise I would use them and I never break a promise to my daughter... so

Also full size pictures can be seen here: Link to Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/131449189@N05/sets/72157651828773446/)

inlovewithjournals
April 13th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Laura, Karen, are we still waiting on other reviews? Just anxious for the big reveal. :)

kbrede
April 13th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Laura, Karen, are we still waiting on other reviews? Just anxious for the big reveal. :)

I'm sorry. It's my fault. I was away on vacation when the ink arrived and then I got sick on vacation, which lasted into most of last week. I've got two pens filled. I'll do some writing over lunch and post something tonight after work.
Kent

inlovewithjournals
April 13th, 2015, 10:44 AM

I'm sorry. It's my fault. I was away on vacation when the ink arrived and then I got sick on vacation, which lasted into most of last week. I've got two pens filled. I'll do some writing over lunch and post something tonight after work.
Kent

Kent I certainly did not mean to put any pressure on you; please take your time with this and get better!! I was just checking. :) No rush.

kbrede
April 13th, 2015, 08:13 PM
After viewing everyone else's reviews I'm not sure I can add much. This is my first ink review, maybe I should have picked a different venue for my debut. :)

I've used just a handful of inks, all blue or black, so this was an interesting departure for me.

I'm not great with color descriptions but I'd call this "purple." I dropped some on a paper towel and added some water. You can see in the attached photo that maybe there's some pink and violet in the mix. At least that's what I see in person. The smaller blob on the left is undiluted ink.

This is one of the wettest inks I've used to date. The Masuyama gold bold italic nib lays down a 1mm line on the broad side, as opposed to Waterman Mysterious Blue, which leaves a .9mm line. I've never tried a lubricated ink that I know of, but I'm guessing this one has some lubrication added.

I find the ink is a little too wet for my writing with the gold italic nib. On the other hand with my Masuyama steel bold italic nib, the ink works with my normal writing size.

If you'd have asked me if I'd buy a purple ink before today, I would have said an emphatic, NO! Now, I just might, if the price was right and it cleans up nicely. :)

Thanks for letting me play!

Kent

migo984
April 13th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Dear Laura & Karen

I'd like to submit my own 'Mystery Ink' for consideration.............

What a cool use for an empty ink bottle :)

Crazyorange
April 14th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I love it! So cute.

Chrissy
April 14th, 2015, 12:53 PM
I'm dying to know what it is. I love the colour

klpeabody
April 14th, 2015, 01:14 PM

I will post the reveal when I get home from work tonight. :)

Jon Szanto
April 14th, 2015, 01:15 PM

I will post the reveal when I get home from work tonight. :)

Slacker.

klpeabody
April 14th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Here is the moment you've been waiting for. I'm sorry that I couldn't post the reveal earlier, but I am unable to access the forum on my computer at work. Plus, I'm just barely able to use Tapatalk without being dangerous, so anyways, without further ado:

I think this ink is very appropriately named, don't you?

This bottle of ink was purchased at isellpens (http://www.isellpens.com/product-p/d1039.htm).

Thank you so very much to everyone who participated in this edition of mystery ink. I had good fun with you, and I really hope that you enjoyed yourselves.

All the best,
Karen

Cob
April 14th, 2015, 04:21 PM
It looks to me as though De Atramentis has a hit on their hands - they should give you at least a pat on the back. Thanks so much for organising this entertaining event

Cob

klpeabody
April 14th, 2015, 04:22 PM
As a brief follow up to the reveal, I wanted to say that I had been eyeing this ink for some time, especially back when Mont Blanc had announced that they were discontinuing the much-loved Lavender Purple. I'm not a "purple ink lover" by any means, but that was my only purple for some time. I liked it so much that I sought a replacement for it. Of course, we now know that MB Lavender Purple has been reintroduced and reformulated, and available for purchase once again. But, I wanted to add that last little tidbit, as several people remarked how similar this particular shade was to the beloved MB Lavender Purple. If you really enjoyed the old version of MB Lav Purple, then maybe this will float your boat.

If there is anyone who followed this thread and is interested in sampling this particular ink, I have one sample vial of DeAtramentis Aubergine left. That sample represents the end of the bottle. Please PM me, and I would be happy to send it to you. =)

Sammyo
April 14th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Thank you so much. What a lovely ink, I have to be honest i have only tried two other DeAtramentis inks and had loved them both... DeAtramentis do it again!

Jon Szanto
April 14th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Interesting: I had eggplant Parmagiana last night for dinner.

Chrissy
April 14th, 2015, 04:51 PM
I'm just barely able to use Tapatalk without being dangerous

I'm unable to use it at all.:confused:

According to google, I need to reset my Android phone to it's factory settings, just so that I can remove my gmail account and put it back on again, so that I can see if I can actually load Play store apps. To be honest I don't think I want Tapatalk enough to go through that hassle

Chrissy
April 14th, 2015, 04:53 PM
It is interesting that 2 of the MI's that I didn't test are both DeA inks, and that I like both of them.

I must have a closer look at this brand when I'm next shopping for ink

klpeabody
April 14th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I'm just barely able to use Tapatalk without being dangerous

I'm unable to use it at all.:confused:

According to google, I need to reset my Android phone to it's factory settings, just so that I can remove my gmail account and put it back on again, so that I can see if I can actually load Play store apps. To be honest I don't think I want Tapatalk enough to go through that hassle

That is quite a hassle. I don't blame you one bit.

migo984
April 14th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Yey! I guessed this one correctly - so that's 3 out of 6 so far. Just about scraping a pass mark :)

This is one of my favourite inks. It is very distinctive. It certainly stands out amongst all my other purples.

It is quite reminiscent of the old MB Lavender Purple and highlights what I've been saying about the reformulated Mb, which is somehow dusty and has a grey, almost murky under-tone. A bit similar to Herbin Poussière de Lune and Kaweco Aubergine. It's a shame they changed it.

DA is such a rich, plummy, velvety, sumptuous colour. Just gorgeous. DA Giacomo Puccini is the same colour, just bottled under their Famous Musicians series.

Thanks for another fun MI.

klpeabody
April 14th, 2015, 05:00 PM
It is interesting that 2 of the MI's that I didn't test are both DeA inks, and that I like both of them.

Aside from the inks sampled in the mystery ink threads, I have played with a few from this brand, and I've enjoyed them all. I think they are a good value, and I really like the bottle design.

klpeabody
April 14th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Yey! I guessed this one correctly - so that's 3 out of 6 so far. Just about scrapping a pass mark :)

This is one of my favourite inks. It is very distinctive. It certainly stands out amongst all my other purples.

It is quite reminiscent of the old MB Lavender Purple and highlights what I've been saying about the reformulated Mb, which is somehow dusty and has a grey, almost murky under-tone. A bit similar to Herbin Poussière de Lune and Kaweco Aubergine. It's a shame they changed it.

DA is such a rich, plummy, velvety, sumptuous colour. Just gorgeous. DA Giacomo Puccini is the same colour, just bottled under their Famous Musicians series.

Thanks for another fun MI.

Thank you, migo! You are quite a good guesser. =)

I wondered if Puccini was the same; thanks for confirming. I really like the plum-like appearance of this ink, and "velvety" was a great word choice. Yes, velvety. Yes. =)

kbrede
April 14th, 2015, 05:10 PM
First, thanks for putting this together. If you need some money for ink/postage just send me a PM.

Second, a few days ago I ordered four De Atramentis ink samples; two blacks, a brown and a blue. :)

Kent

Laura N
April 14th, 2015, 05:42 PM

I was just thinking today that I'd love to see you review some DeAtramentis inks. :) Your reviews are so good.

I think I have used ten in total, and I have liked them all. Bearing in mind that the ones I've tried all seem to run wet. It's a brand that you don't hear a lot about, though, which seems unfortunate.

caribbean_skye
April 14th, 2015, 05:57 PM
ooh i have a sample of that somewhere, must find it. My last ink sample order from Goulets included some of the DeAtramentis inks and i find that i have liked the majority of them. I think they dont get enough exposure, I could be wrong however.

naimitsu
April 14th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Huh, that was in the bucket o' inks at the meet with Sammyo! It showed more shading with the dip nib than out of the other pens, so I suppose that's why it didn't look quite right to me when I compared them. Which means I need to redo all of my writing samples with every nib size I have...

tandaina
April 14th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Hah, wouldn't have guessed, and not even the same brand as the one I find closest to it. :P

klpeabody
April 14th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Hah, wouldn't have guessed, and not even the same brand as the one I find closest to it. :P

What do you find to be the closest? Just curious. =)

tandaina
April 14th, 2015, 06:29 PM

What do you find to be the closest? Just curious. =)

Not in color, but in behavior. I found it "felt" and acted just like Diamine Billberry, which is one of my favorites. Lubricated, smooth, just a certain "feel" to it. This had that same sort of gliding glass feel. Also similar shading behavior.