PDA

View Full Version : What Pens Are You Yearning For?

Lady Onogaro
March 24th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I thought I would start this thread to see what pens people want (at the present time). It can be a vintage pen, a new pen, a grail pen, a pen that they have seen but can't afford (yet), etc. It would be nice to know what makes the pen appealing to you. People who have the pen could say whether they like that pen or not or whether they would advise people against it or they could point out problems with it.

Right now, the TWSBI purple (see the Goulets' blog) sounds very appealing to me. I have a few TWSBIs already, so I don't think the purple one would perform any differently, but that hasn't stopped me from acquiring Lamys, so I could see myself getting the purple TWSBI, too.

RuiFromUK
March 24th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Pelikan M805 Limited Edition Demonstrator Fountain Pen with Engraving already asked to have one reserved for me.

If you like pictures of this pen, there are some here: http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PK42933/pelikan-m805-limited-edition-demonstrator-fountain-pen-with-engraving

inlovewithjournals
March 24th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Wow that Pelikan M805 LE is a beauty Rui! My aspirations are more modest; I am yearning for the Monteverde Prima in Tiger Eye. It would be my fourth Prima and I just love them. I am undecided if I am getting the Black Prima so the Tiger Eye just might complete my collection. My wedding anniversary is coming up in May...... :)

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I yearn for no pen. But it's taken a while to get there. :)

Wile E Coyote
March 24th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Namiki Emperor Vermilion.

amk
March 24th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Well, I acquired two of my grail pens already this year!

But yearning... well, there are a few pens I'd like.
Pelikan 500, with its lovely combination of dark tortoiseshell and burnished gold piston knob and cap. That's way above my usual budget so I'll need to lie in wait for a bargain.
Nakaya dorsal fin 2, ishime kanshitsu finish, music nib. want. Again, way above budget. I just adore the shape like a katana (traditional Japanese sword), the warty texture of the urushi, almost like toad leather, the muted feel, the simplicity of the pen. (Saw one in the flesh in Mora Stylos in Paris and have been lusting after one ever since...)
and I'd really like Parker 45s in red and turquoise, because I have so many in black, and flighters, and dark blue, and dark green, and I want one that's a bit less boring!

"Yearning" is a nice word, because I'm allowed to daydream, and I don't actually have to *do* anything about it.

elaineb
March 24th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Yearning? A Nakaya of some sort. I can't be more specific because it's something I'll never be able to buy. So I don't torture myself by looking over the specifics.

Murfie
March 24th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I yearn for no pen. But it's taken a while to get there. :)
Yep, I'm with Laura on this one. I'm smug using all the ones that I already have.

Willieboy
March 24th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I've scratched a number of itches in the last three weeks, so I'm feeling overly-self-indulged. That said, I don't own any Italian pens and I've liked looking at Visconti's Impressionist line. What holds me back on a Visconti is the mediocre reviews Visconti's have received on Amazon.

Alec_J
March 24th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze. I will probably never get that pen due to its price but it just does something for me. I've gone to The Pen Place in Kansas City and fondled one a few times. As of now that's my Grail pen.
A close second is the Nakaya's. Which one you ask? What a great question I just can't answer. All of them!

writingrav
March 24th, 2015, 07:37 PM
I, too, am feeling quite over indulged after an almost 6 month long pen splurge that started with a Nakaya Piccolo and is ending with the Pelican M805 Streseman. That does't stop me from yearning for a Montblanc 149 90th Anniversary in Red Gold trim.

VertOlive
March 24th, 2015, 07:46 PM
The current list:

Pelikan White Tortoise because my favorite color combination is cream and gold

Pelikan Stresseman for its understated elegance(once they make it in a smaller size!)

Visconti Wall Street, the black one, ditto the understated stunner

More custom Edisons!

Greenfire
March 24th, 2015, 08:49 PM
at the present time i am looking to add a Pelikan 100N in mint double mint condition. It just takes time
and lots of patience. Green and black with 14/18 ct gold nib in EF.

Waski_the_Squirrel
March 24th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I don't have any real passion for a specific pen. But, I do have a few pens I like. I'm at that happy point where I'm happy with the pens I have. New pens are fun, but don't have any driving force.

Pilot Custom 74: I really want the violet version and would really love a broad nib.
I would really enjoy a TWSBI Mini
I would love a Nakaya Neo Standard Aka-tamenuri. I know I chose not to buy this pen, but it is really pretty, and I still enjoy it.
A Platinum 3776 with a music nib would be all kinds of fun.
I would love a Franklin Christoph 19 Cinnamon. Really pretty!
A Visconti Opera Elements Air is one of my fantasy pens.

I would love to own any of these, but I really am happy with the pens I have now.

Quantum Sailor
March 24th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I have a bit of a list but it goes something to the effect of Montblanc 1912, Montblanc LeGrand 90th anniversary...thanks to Laura N. I have been searching for an Onoto 6235 plunger with the #5 bi color nib. I will actually be picking up a Noodlers Konrad shortly though. I think I"m going to hold out my next pen acquisition for the 1912 after the Noodlers.

Laura N
March 24th, 2015, 09:38 PM
I have a bit of a list but it goes something to the effect of Montblanc 1912, Montblanc LeGrand 90th anniversary...thanks to Laura N. I have been searching for an Onoto 6235 plunger with the #5 bi color nib. I will actually be picking up a Noodlers Konrad shortly though. I think I"m going to hold out my next pen acquisition for the 1912 after the Noodlers.

You're welcome! Or sorry!

If you come join us local FP Geeks at the Chicago Pen Show, I'll bring both MBs for you to play with. :)

Potter
March 25th, 2015, 01:38 AM
My grail pen last year, a Visconti Homo Sapiens turned into a disaster, with a pair of shocking poor quality nibs that I've been rather put off creating a yearning for pen, that having been said a lot of new pens look very attractive, recently a Parker Duofold mini in a check pattern gave me a wink on Ebay, I got all excited over an Edison Menlo, etc. etc.

Alanc
March 25th, 2015, 08:11 AM
I am still a beginner in the world of Fountain pens.
However,I have a very long list of Montblancs spanning approx 1936 to 1959.Any of quality that become available (and that I won't have to sell body parts to afford) I will consider acquiring.
I especially love MB striated fountain pens (I have four) so I suppose that I yearn (or is it lust) for more of these.
I am mostly interested in vintage pens but would also love a mint boxed MB Hemingway (and a late MB139 to partner it!).
Great to dream isn't it!

jar
March 25th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I'd like to find a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Victorian Leaf pattern fountain pen.

Faustine
March 25th, 2015, 09:31 AM
I have a lot of pens I still really want to try someday - I'm still such a n00b when it comes to pen brands, I'm really only explored the budget friendly side of pens so far. But I'd like to try:

- A flex pen - maybe the Noodlers Ahab? But I bought the Konrad and was never able to get it to work, so am afraid.
- A TWSBI 580AL in orange or purple
- A Pilot vanishing point
- An Edison Nouveau something or other

Also, what's the deal with Pelikans? Namiki Falcons? The legendary Waterman/Parker vintages? These are all things I want to learn. :)

Sailor Kenshin
March 25th, 2015, 10:22 AM
I thought I would start this thread to see what pens people want (at the present time). It can be a vintage pen, a new pen, a grail pen, a pen that they have seen but can't afford (yet), etc. It would be nice to know what makes the pen appealing to you. People who have the pen could say whether they like that pen or not or whether they would advise people against it or they could point out problems with it.

Right now, the TWSBI purple (see the Goulets' blog) sounds very appealing to me. I have a few TWSBIs already, so I don't think the purple one would perform any differently, but that hasn't stopped me from acquiring Lamys, so I could see myself getting the purple TWSBI, too.

More MB Testers! One of each nib type.

Oh, okay...if we're leaving Fantasyland, then, another Sailor, this time with a B nib. The finish would have to make me say, Ooooo...shiiinyyyyyy! The way I fell for the Progear Black Velvet and the Procolor 500 Winter edition.

Quantum Sailor
March 25th, 2015, 09:36 PM

You're welcome! Or sorry!

If you come join us local FP Geeks at the Chicago Pen Show, I'll bring both MBs for you to play with. :)

I don't know that my bank account could handle that situation well.

Lady Onogaro
March 25th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Oh, Waski, I love that Pilot Custom 74 in Violet, too. And now I have the problem of deciding between it and the Edison Nouveau Premiere Lilac that just came out. I am waiting a while to see if I still love them when my tax return comes back. Hopefully, nothing else will claim that money (like home repairs).

rjohnarmstrong73
March 26th, 2015, 12:01 AM
I'd have to say a visconti homo sapiens bronze or a pelikan m800 as I think the 1000 will be too big!

Dronak
March 26th, 2015, 06:15 PM
At the moment, I'm not looking to spend too much on any single fountain pen, but I do have a few that I recently saved to my Amazon wish list. My old Pelikan Pharo seems to be having some issues, and I'd like to replace it with another Pelikan -- I'm thinking the P200 since it takes cartridges, and I want to be able to use the cartridges I have. I'm looking at getting a Cross Classic Century, since many years ago I got a ballpoint pen that looks like it's the same design, and a matching set might be nice (plus I prefer fountain pens). I have a pair of Jinhao 250s which work well enough especially given how cheap they were, so I'd like to get some other model(s) of theirs in the future. I'm also considering the Parker IM and the Pilot Metropolitan. I probably won't buy all of these soon, but I might be get a few with some of my tax refund money. :)

Waski_the_Squirrel
March 26th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Oh, Waski, I love that Pilot Custom 74 in Violet, too. And now I have the problem of deciding between it and the Edison Nouveau Premiere Lilac that just came out.

Funny! I had the exact same thought yesterday when it came out. I'll have to think about it some more.

cnjackson
March 26th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I'm a little between yearnings right now, having just gotten my Edison Pearl in Flecked Tortoise!

But I expect to start feeling the tugs of:
- An Omas Ogiva in the Bronze Arco.
- A Sailor King of Pen.
- A celluloid MB 146.

These would all be wallet-busters for me, but I can be patient!

I also really like the new Pelikan Stresseman (sp?)...

TAYLORPUPPY
March 26th, 2015, 10:55 PM
The pilot custom 92 and the pilot custom 823. Then maybe a 5 dollar and a 2 thousand dollar pen.

rpsyed
March 26th, 2015, 11:52 PM
Danitrio Mikado
Eboya - Onoto-style eyedropper filler
Hakase flat-top in rosewood, or a buffalo horn cigar
Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller Flat-top with demonstrator barrel

My wishlist is pretty ambitious and will probably take years to acquire everything, but the hunt is a big part of the fun. I have a tendency to like flat-tops, interesting filling mechanisms, and pens that are handmade.

RuiFromUK
March 27th, 2015, 02:08 AM

Last year I sorted out that wish of mine by popping into the nearest MB boutique where I was allowed to write with all the nibs made for the MB149, from the finest to the widest including their oblique nibs. Eventually I settled for OBB.

Sailor Kenshin
March 27th, 2015, 05:10 AM

Last year I sorted out that wish of mine by popping into the nearest MB boutique where I was allowed to write with all the nibs made for the MB149, from the finest to the widest including their oblique nibs. Eventually I settled for OBB.

They let you buy the tester? ;)

RuiFromUK
March 27th, 2015, 06:08 AM

They let you buy the tester? ;)

Actually testers. But I wouldn't like to buy them, they are well used MB pens! ;)

Kaputnik
March 28th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I don't know if I'd select the word "yearning". Still, when the purchases resume, there are some things I have in mind.

A vintage pen with a nib closer to "wet noodle flex" than any I have currently.
A vintage Pelikan, gold nib, typical of their piston fillers from the 1950s or 60s.
A vintage Montblanc piston filler.
One of a couple of styles of gold Conklin crescent fillers, the original brand, not the modern revival.
An old Parker Duofold button filler. I had one in hand once in place of the gold Conklin I was supposed to get. Ended up with neither. Long story.

Any of these can wait, and I'm likely to go off on a tangent first with some relatively inexpensive vintage find.

tiffanyhenschel
March 28th, 2015, 09:31 PM
I have wanted a MB Fitzgerald Writers Edition since before I knew what a WE was. I saw a photo of one and it struck a chord within me somehow as one of the most beautiful pens ever. That was about four years ago. I got to see one "in person" at a pen show last year, and that unfortunately did not dim my desire for one. It was out of my budget, though.

It doesn't really fit with the direction my collection has taken, and it will probably always be out of my budget. The dream is there, though. Maybe.

elaineb
March 28th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Oh, I have to add something to my "yearning" list: I forgot that I am dizzy in love with Pilot Murex/Myu pens. (I try not to think too much on these things, because I know I'll never have one.) A Nakaya and a Myu. There. Now, I'll go back to think about other subjects while I polish the oxidation off a few old BHR pens that I -do- own, with lovely nibs that I should appreciate more.

Mags
April 1st, 2015, 06:18 PM
That is a great word yearning. I am yearning for a Café Crème and to switch things up with a fine nib.

Dronak
April 12th, 2015, 01:31 PM
FWIW, after some more reading reviews and such, I chose my next few pens. I did get the Pelikan P200, but chose not to get a Cross Classic Century because it's so slim I don't think it will work well for me (I almost never use the ballpoint model I own). I did order the Parker IM, but got a Pilot Prera instead of the Metropolitan. I also decided to get a Monteverde Impressa with a stub nib, which offered two new things: (1) a pen from a brand I didn't already own, and (2) a stub nib. I'm looking forward to trying that one out in particular. And although some pens like those by Jinhao are very inexpensive, I decided not to get any of them this time, at least not this time. With these and the other three I bought about a month ago (two Jinhaos and a Parker Sonnet), I think I'm done buying pens for the near future.

What's next though? I'm not sure. The Pilot Metropolitan is still on my wish list, and I added the Pilot Plumix, since I read its medium italic nib could be swapped into the Prera. Some cheaper pens like Jinhao might make it, though I might try to go for a different brand instead. Or I can save some money, do a little research, and find a nicer pen or few from brands I don't own and pick from them. We'll see.

Sailor Kenshin
April 12th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Call me silly, but right now I'm yearning for a C/c pen, no metal body or section, takes standard international, wet smooth writer, under $50, that I will fall in love with.

Cob
April 12th, 2015, 04:29 PM
A Mabie Todd Swan leverless in the 47 (Mosaic) material and another in the 62 material that I have never even seen in a picture: wine red/gold/silver marble.

Silly isn't it? But I have a great fascination with Mabie Todd's wonderful materials.

Oh yes and a jade cap for my 230/50!

Cob

dwong
April 16th, 2015, 05:37 AM
There's always been a few pens that have been on my "yearning" list, each for different reasons.

1. Pilot Custom 823 Amber- I've always been a Pilot nut, even before I discovered fountain pens. The vacuum plunger inking mechanism and huge ink tank would make it ideal for an everyday writer. There's also something about that transparent amber color that really gets me.
2. Wahl Eversharp Skyline (vintage)- I've always wanted to try a flex nib. Plus my Parker 51 just seems lonely without another vintage pen to keep it company ;)
3. Franklin Christoph Model 02- I've always been intrigued by its tapered barrel design. That plus the addition of a custom ground Masuyama nib for a marginal price increase makes it a fairly good value for a custom ground pen.
4. Franklin Christoph Model 19 in Black with Creme stripes- this pen just looks stunning to me and is of the same girth/size of much pricier pens.

kaisnowbird
May 2nd, 2015, 06:40 AM
This one.

I saw one with factory italic nib in a B&M store last week. Drooling...

Interestingly, the one I saw had a dark brown feed.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-40997485717836_2269_128505134

Lady Onogaro
May 2nd, 2015, 08:46 AM
That's gorgeous. I've been looking at the purple TWSBI 580AL.

jake
December 31st, 2015, 05:14 PM
I've been looking for a good deal on a black Pelikan M200 with either a Fine or Medium nib - not sure which one would be better. I've also been debating getting a TWSBI Eco or Diamond Mini. Currently beginning a collection and I want to make sure I add good quality pens.

Lady Onogaro
December 31st, 2015, 06:47 PM
I've been looking for a good deal on a black Pelikan M200 with either a Fine or Medium nib - not sure which one would be better. I've also been debating getting a TWSBI Eco or Diamond Mini. Currently beginning a collection and I want to make sure I add good quality pens.

I have a Pelikan with an M nib, and I found it a bit broad for my fine handwriting, but I use it anyway. I just got a TWSBI (in the Pendleton Brown BLS version, and I like it very much), but I also have a Mini I am happy with, too. So I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Lately I have been yearning for an Aurora Archivi Historici or one like it. I haven't bought one because they look so similar to the Lamy 2000, which I have, that I think "why bother?"

writingrav
December 31st, 2015, 07:19 PM
I'd sure like a Montblanc Hemingway (in my dreams)

Giovanni Abrate
December 31st, 2015, 07:51 PM
This one.

I saw one with factory italic nib in a B&M store last week. Drooling...

Interestingly, the one I saw had a dark brown feed.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-40997485717836_2269_128505134

Aurora make their own feeds in-house, using premium ebonite. Black or brown ebonite.

fqgouvea
December 31st, 2015, 08:48 PM
Far too many pens I'd like... Visconti Homo Sapiens, Bexley Monarch, an old Waterman with a truly flexible nib...

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

john
January 1st, 2016, 02:05 AM
No more yearning for pens because I've got more than a hundred pens within 3 years. Aithough there are many beautiful pens which I wanna own.

DASEFnib
January 1st, 2016, 02:37 AM
Sailor Pro Gear "Four Seasons" Meigetsu Ivory Lame with 14k EF nib.....A stunning pen, IMHO......;)
For the same $$, though....I could add 4 or 5 Esties to my collection.....!:confused:
Decisions.....decisions......:(

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Sandy Fry
January 1st, 2016, 03:59 AM
I don't think I have ever yearned for anything and certainly never a pen.

Saying that, there are a few pens I would like but I am easily distracted and end up buying something else! Ooh squirrel!...see!

I think there was a post about the pens that one MUST have?? I think I may have a couple on that list. I tend to buy what appeals to me at the time and not set a " target " pen.

David

TSherbs
January 1st, 2016, 07:54 AM
I don't think I have ever yearned for anything .....

David

I am stunned by this. I have never heard a human being state this before. Wow. David, you were born a Jedi master!

Sandy Fry
January 2nd, 2016, 03:58 AM
I don't think I have ever yearned for anything .....

David

I am stunned by this. I have never heard a human being state this before. Wow. David, you were born a Jedi master!

Lol! Nah...materialistic I am not ( sounds better written down that it does said out loud...unless, of course, Yoda had a thick Scottish accent! ). As I said, there are some things I would like ( improving my atrocious handwriting for example ) but there is really nothing material I yearn for. Stuff is just...stuff. A pen is a pen is a pen.

Life is too short to spend it obsessing/yearning for an implement to write with. Buy the pens you like that are within your means and enjoy them.

David

RuiFromUK
January 5th, 2016, 06:17 AM
MontBlanc Year of the Monkey fountain pen - price well beyond my reach LOL

Savager
January 5th, 2016, 06:59 AM

SeminarianMike
January 5th, 2016, 01:57 PM
I would really love the aurora John Paul II fountain pen if I could afford or find one with a fine nib, also saving for a m1005 Fine nib pelikan

katherine
January 6th, 2016, 11:41 PM

Same here! But I know I really don't need one. But it's pretty. :/

DASEFnib
January 7th, 2016, 02:24 AM

The gods were smiling on me about 2 month ago...I was able to snag one of these for a VERY good price!!!
Paired with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown ink.....it's a match made in Heaven!!:)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

nusiax
January 7th, 2016, 05:15 AM
I have for many years wanted a platinum Montblanc 149 saw it as a special edition in the UAE. Now they are readily available. But i spent my funds on a JFK Special Edition. A Limited Edition Waterman and three Platinum Maki models while in Japan plus a Sailor on a special color. So it will have to wait a while longer

Savager
January 7th, 2016, 05:54 AM

The gods were smiling on me about 2 month ago...I was able to snag one of these for a VERY good price!!!
Paired with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown ink.....it's a match made in Heaven!!:)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

DASEFnib - That's the kind of luck I'm hoping for! Congratulations!

Hawk
January 7th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Pelikan M800 Grand Place Special Edition.

top pen
January 7th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Waterman Carene Ombres et Lumières.

http://www.waterman.com/img/cms/ombres-et-lumieres/ambiance_boite.jpg

bluesea
January 8th, 2016, 10:52 AM
50's Pelikan 400nn tortoise ef, in close to mint condition. Don't need it, just yearning for it.