PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering parker frontier

ortegaperu
March 24th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Hi,

I have a 2-year old parker frontier fountain pen:

I haven't used for a couple months, a couple of days ago I started using it again,
at first it wouldn't write at all,
after googling a bit I found some tips about undrying pens
(I'm guessing the ink in the tip dried and got stuck, please correct me if I'm wrong)
So I dipped the tip in some water for a few minutes, and after doodling a bit it started writing again.

However, it doesn't write as smooth as before and it stutters, for example:

I'm using a 10 year old bottle of black Pelikan ink (could that be the problem?):

What should I do?

tandaina
March 24th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Flush it out and start over? Likely it is just gummed up with dried ink and needs a real cleaning.

Flounder
March 24th, 2015, 03:40 PM
I agree with Tandaina. If it's really bad, you can unscrew the frontier's nib & feed from the section to give them a good clean. the nib can be unclipped from the feed too.

tandaina
March 24th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Yeah if you need to soak just the nib/feed unit in a cup of plain water for a few hours, I bet a TON of old ink comes out.

John Martinson
March 24th, 2015, 10:48 PM
After soaking it for a couple of hours, you can firmly unscrew the nib and feed assembly. Wash it out under lukewarm water if you like and use fresh ink. Pelikan inks are a bit drier and have a chemical formula designed for use in Piston filling pens. Did you use a converter for your Frontier?

ortegaperu
March 25th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

I'm using the following converter (it came with the pen):

Which ink should I use with this pen?

Will Parker ink be better? (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320986462931 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/311032207903)

Thanks!

tandaina
March 25th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Eh. Use whatever you like. Parker ink is fine ink but I prefer fancier colors so don't own any. If the pen is a little dry I'd try something with more flow. For me Diamine inks, some of the Pilot inks, and the Montblanc inks are all more free flowing. Pelikan ink tends to be quite dry.