PDA

View Full Version : vintage writing boxes, slopes; user suggestions wanted

J H S
March 26th, 2015, 01:47 AM
I'm on the hunt for vintage campaign boxes, or a writing slopes with secure storage for pens, ink and paper. I do a lot of writing sitting up in bed, usually with a light spruce, rosewood, or mahogany board (guitar soundboards). There are a number of these portable desks on ebay and I'm waiting for a mahogany, walnut, or rosewood orphan that needs some restoration but is otherwise functional for daily use.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have actually used these designs, what you do and do not like about them and what you might wish to change. The campaign chest looks more like something to place on an existing desk rather than a lap, but still makes a nice portable kit. To my eye the slopes seem to be rather the same, and I'm wondering how lap friendly they are. It may well be that I wind up with a box for my gear and continuing on with my light rosewood board for actual lap work, but I'd like to hear any observations.

I do want vintage or at least used....I actually prefer to see the history of previous users in scratches and bumps, and do not seek prestine restoration.

Of course if you have one to sell or trade let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

Potter
March 26th, 2015, 03:45 AM
Having recently been gifted a vintage writing box for my 60th I can say that I would not like to try to use it whilst sitting in bed, the weight would be considerable and on my box there is no way of locking it in place so it would bend in the middle as well, I'd see if I could not create a table with legs shortened appropriately which would not put any pressure on the body and thus be more stable.

J H S
March 26th, 2015, 05:07 AM
I think your experience would hold true with me also. I've experimented with a standard wooden watercolor art supply box and it is a bit of an unwieldy thigh crusher.

Here is a photo of what I've been using. It's the bottom of a dreadnought guitar, which I braced flat on the bottom....the curves are meant to catch the thigh while playing sitting, and it works very well with writing also, braced against knees up, sitting in bed.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17474&stc=1

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17478&stc=1

For added stability I've thought of adding a simple rope harness to hang over the knees, but really the design is of a size and shape that is quite versitile as it is.

With this as a given, back to the box. I still want a vintage writing box if only to set next to my tea mug on my bedside table~

J H S

MY63
March 26th, 2015, 09:08 AM
When you say campaign slopes I always think of large brass bound writing slopes mine are over 20 inches long and are too heavy to have on your knee for any length of time.
there are smaller lighter slopes usually from the Victorian period which are lighter and would be suitable for use on your knee,
I have four in various stages of restoration on my desk at the moment and others hidden in the garage awaiting their turn.
I wish you good luck in your search and if I can help you please let me know

Robert
March 26th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Have a look at these products from Levenger: http://levenger.com/DESK-13/LAP-DESKS-PILLOWS-722.aspx

I've owned the "kidney bean" shaped lap desk for many years and have found it useful.