PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer's Original (1937-1941) Crest featured in this issue Fountain Pen Journal

david i
March 26th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Hi,

Though I am a wee dabbler in the Sheafferverse, I've long had interest in Sheaffer's early Crest pens (1937-1941), what we call original Crest or first-style Crest, featuring-- fresh-to-the-1930s-- a cap that fit flush to the barrel and a smooth barrel-gripping section interface with threads placed unconventionally at the distal end of the section.

Crest should be a pretty easy pen to collect. Though one can explore some structural nuances, the basic choices of sizes, cap metals, gross cap-patterns, and barrel colors offer fewer than a dozen core variants to hunt. However, all but perhaps 4 of those are rare to ridiculous to find. I well remember losing my first shot at a scarce sterling Crest when the late Al Maymen got to one before me offered by the late Frank Tedesco at a Philadelphia pen show more than ten years ago. Too many "late" people in our hobby, but that's a chat for another day.

The Crest name of course would be used on and off for 60 years by Sheaffer.

I've long been surprised how little has been written in the hobby about original Crest.

So, I gave Erano an article about Original Crest for the latest issue of Fountain Pen Journal.

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/Sheaffer_Crest_FPJ_Image1_Cover_3BLEEDlargesharp50 0small.jpg

The article, released last month, covers material never before addressed online or in print. It is heavily illustrated to demonstrate teaching points. Price points and scarcity are addressed.

Paul Erano, editor/publisher/CEO of the Journal of course is a well known figure in the hobby, present at most pen shows, author of the hobby's best selling hard cover guide book Fountain Pens: Past and Present, writer for Pen World International, for Stylus Magazine, for Fountain Pen Journal, for PENnant and for Erano's Quarterly Pen Review, and editor emeritus for PENnant.

Fountain Pen Journal is the new kid on the block. In six months the subscription base approaches that of the twenty-year-old PENnant. People like it. It also is the home of the secret Black Pen Society (Don't tell anyone).

The link to the website with subscription info is in my signature space below, and part of my reason for posting this Crest notice is to draw some attention to this hot new print magazine for pen collectors.

Fresh subscribers can get the current two issues as part of their first year subscription, including the Crest article.

Does anyone else like the early Crest pens?

regards

david

Farmboy
March 26th, 2015, 10:41 PM
I will need to look through the Sheaffer pens I have and see if I have anything worth contributing in the series.

I will try to do this over the weekend.