PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of the x-pens!

Sailor Kenshin
August 27th, 2012, 07:41 AM
So I've heard a lot about xfountainpens and thought they looked interesting, nice prices, but last week on a whim I searched Amazon for fountain pens and a vanilla 'kurve' came up for under $14. prime, too!

But by the time I went to get it it was gone. *waaaaaaa*

However, on the same page were five of those pens, vanilla included, for $40! Can't beat that, I thought. And a mini-bottle of ink!

The name is Bulow, The model is X450, which I hear is a rebranded Jinhao or something.

They look goooood. And the one I dip- tested in J Herbin Cafe des Isles (looks like burgundy leopardskin) writes smoooooth.

Nice rebranded cheap pens, free ink? I am in serious danger of buying more from them. Pics to come.

manoeuver
August 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I got the raft pack of x750s for Christmas last year. I gave many away (FP evangelist that I am) but I kept 2. One has a Knox XF in it (also from xfountainpens.com) and it's seen a lot of use since. Eric and Doc Brown both gave it a spin in DC and they both seemed to like it.

Have fun then, Sailor. Do be careful with the converters, mine seem to come loose inside the pen sometimes. (rrrgh)

snedwos
August 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
List price: $99.99, our price $29.99. Something is odd here. How are they able to do that?

Sailor Kenshin
August 27th, 2012, 02:30 PM
The magic of hyperbole? ;-p

But seriously.... Niiiiice pens. Chesterfield ink is Diamine? Right?

KrazyIvan
August 27th, 2012, 04:32 PM
That is what I heard about the Chesterfield brand.

etoyoc
August 28th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I have been tempted to get some of the X530. However, with me terrible experience with Jinhao pens I haven't tried any of the X series bulow pens. All my Jinhaos all start strong and then write 1/2 page skip, and then won't start again. I would be glad to hear how your experience with the Bulow versions work.

southpaw52
August 28th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I received an e-mail from them with coupons and free shipping. There seems to a market flood of Chinese pens lately. I agree with etoyc, that they have some issues with skipping then suddenly stopping. I have other Chinese pen brands that pretty much do the same thing.

snedwos
August 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I have a Baoer 801 somewhere that seems to do that as well...

Ziggy1333
August 29th, 2012, 04:55 PM
i've been contemplating getting pens from them, do they ship worldwide?

Sailor Kenshin
August 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I have the blue one loaded with Waterman Florida Blue. Ok, it hasn't been in there that long but it's still a juicy writer. So far my only problem has been the cap. You really have to PULL. I need to start pumping iron again.

Bogon07
October 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
I have the blue one loaded with Waterman Florida Blue. Ok, it hasn't been in there that long but it's still a juicy writer. So far my only problem has been the cap. You really have to PULL. I need to start pumping iron again.

Took delivery of a Jinhao X450 SeaBlue Marble with gold trim. I had exactly that experience with the cap it is very tightly secured and clicks in place with a resounding clack. The other thing is it is a really heavy pen ..... do they make them from depleted uranium ? The 18Kgoldplated(!) nib is large too not sure of the size supposed to be a B but it writes like a Lamy M. The grip area has three ribbed indentations for comfortable holding.

Sailor Kenshin
October 3rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
I did a little more in-depth review of the X-pens here... (http://heartofsock.blogspot.com/2012/09/invasion-of-x-pens-in-which-dr.html)

I don't know whether to thank you guys or send you the bill. ;-p

KrazyIvan
October 3rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
for $40 and ink too? Nice find there Doc. Don't call us we'll call you on that bill. :D

Nice color on that pen Bogon.

and just for kicks.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2702/5816489146_b895b483d5_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/5816489146/)
Jinhao X450uncapped (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/5816489146/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

Sailor Kenshin
October 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Nice! I like this model more & more!

Bogon07
October 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Doc, I'm not sure about sending a bill as some people here could demand a finders fee in return.

KI, That is an elegant Daakusaido black X450. How to you like that grip with the ribbed indentations ?

My one appears to have more pronounced gold plating on the gigantic nib.

KrazyIvan
October 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Doc, I'm not sure about sending a bill as some people here could demand a finders fee in return.

KI, That is an elegant Daakusaido black X450. How to you like that grip with the ribbed indentations ?

My one appears to have more pronounced gold plating on the gigantic nib.

I find the grip somewhat reminiscent of the Lamy Safari section in feel, maybe just with not so sharp corners. I like it. The gold plating on my nib wore off when I ground the nib to a stub.

Laike
October 9th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I realized I just had too many pens (I know, I'm a heretic for saying that), so after I finally decided to give up on flex nibs on my Ahab and swing for the Knox K35 nibs from x-pens today. I'm really excited for the nibs to show up to my door step. Shame I have to spend 15 dollars before I get 4 dollar shipping to Canada. I suppose a greater excuse to get a variety of nibs.

proudscotsman
October 18th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I started out with the 5 pack of x450's from xfoutainpens, but didn’t care for the medium nib they come with, just too broad for my tastes. I purchased two of the Knox nibs off the site one F one XF and fitted them. I also replaced the converters with Waterman converters. I have two that I use daily they are both smooth as butter on hot glass. I have no issues with ink flow what so ever and I love the weight of the pens.

Laike
October 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I just got the Knox nibs a few days ago, they fit perfectly, the XF is a bit thicker than I expected, mind you, I'm running a green laxative... I mean Noodler's Green Gator through it so I may being deceived on its actual thickness. It's pretty smooth though

However one of the nibs did have a small sliver of metal in the tines. I don't have a razor blade to clear it out, but it doesn't seem to be impeding the flow or causing problems. My Ahab is back in rotation!