PDA

View Full Version : Visconti Classic first impressions

erpe
March 28th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Just some personal notes. To start with the unpacking: the box is impressive. I can imagine that people might find it overdone at this pricepoint but the box now sits comfortably on my desk holding three pens.

Some measurements, they always seem to be missing from the technical specs. Pen with cap and (FC) converter 21 g, pen with converter 10 g. The cap is indeed a bit on the heavier side and posting is not the best thing because the metal Visconti logo at the top and the clip are held by a not very subtle Philips head screw, so it’s a bit top-heavy when posted. The pen itself is light which doesn’t bother me personally. I find the balance more important than the naked weight and the balance is quite ok. The width of the section ranges from 9 to 12 mm and is long enough for my fingers. I have been writing with this pen for a few days now and I find it very comfortable, pleasant to hold so to speak. The length is closed 13.3 cm, open 12.1 cm and posted 15.9 cm.

This so-called blue nut is an amazing material. The Amber parts are a bit translucent and contrast with the different shades of Blue and Grey parts. This comes out best when used in bright sunlight. It is obviously turned as this can not be injection molded in this fashion, the section I’m not sure. There is no ridge as typical for injection. I t would have been nice to make the section in the same material but this is only available with 1 nib so Visconti is simply using the same section on all variations. It’s a cost thingy I guess, although Delta is able to do it on the Unica which is even cheaper. The threads are good and smooth, the entire construction feels good and sturdy. There seem to be rumors that this color will not be produced again so if you want this version, make sure to be in time. In fact, the model itself is marketed as limited edition it’s so not sure whether there will be new manufacturing at all.

It is a cartridge/converter system and I need to address this a bit. One could argue that a cheaper packaging would allow to add a converter but such is marketing. Unfortunately, the converter is a bit tricky. As hopefully visible on the picture below, not all converters will fit, in fact, I am not even sure all cartridges will fit.

The JinHao I tried and a Pelikan will not go in. The reason is a small ridge inside the pen over the feedconnector. The supplied cartridge has a narrower top at the nipple for about 6 mm, the converter does not have this. Luckily, I had a Faber Castel with the same tip. So be careful when ordering a converter. But then again, the FC is also a bit larger in volume.
The nib clearly states “Iridium Point”, Germany might be hidden under the plastic, I did not take it apart yet. In case one expects a typical mediocre IPG feeling, think again. This nib is surprisingly smooth, good flow and only a tiny bit of flex. The writing feeling is similar to other pens in the price range like the Unica, the Student/Allrounder or the M200. The decoration however is a bit off. With a magnifying glass, the stylized M is legible, the rest of the scrollwork is, eh, well, don’t mention it.
Finally, more or less on request, the Visconti New Classic in comparison to a few popular Flat Tops.

Left to right: Kaigelu 316, Visconti New Classic, Delta Unica, Dolce Vita Naranja, KaWeCo Student, Sheaffer No Nonense and the Lamy Al-star. It fits quite nicely in there. This is certainly not the pen that will make jaws drop in a business meeting but I imagine taking it on the road and making diary notes in the sun, perhaps somewhere in Italy even ;-)

17549 17550

Side by side with the obvious contender. The Unica is a bit wider at the section and only a few grams heavier. The Delta nib is a size larger.
Initially, I planned to remove the Visconti nib and replace it with a Bock or Jowo stub but I think I will leave it for now. It writes very well as it is.
Bottom-line: good pen, good value, build and writing matches the competition in the price-range. One might question its place in the Visconti catalogue as it is a bit different from the previous entry level Visconti’s but to be honest, I don’t think it is designed to replace the Rembrandt in that position. See it as a stand-alone 25th anniversary issue maybe.

dneal
March 28th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I have been looking forward to your thoughts on this pen. Thanks for the well-done review. I wasn't fond of that particular color based on the small pictures on Giardino's site, but I see from your photos that it is very attractive.

I agree with your thoughts on the nib. It does write well and I also am hesitant to replace it. The longer I use the pen, the more I like it.

Lady Onogaro
March 28th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I think it's pretty I can see getting one of these sometime.

Ste_S
March 29th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Good review thanks. I've about turned on these, from not wanting to want