PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaner performance-ISONIC

sharmon202
March 28th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I am posting this because I was asked to. Please no vulgar remarks or personal attacks this time. I bought the ISONIC Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for $49.99. Model D2840. You can Google the specs if you are interested. It came with a small bottle of cleaner.
I used this at first only with tap water, to clean two demonstrator nibs, one Prera and one Penmanship, both of which had a bit of ink left from the last cleaning, just a small bit. I set the timer on 380 seconds and could immediately see ink being shot out of the nib. By the end of the cycle they were both 100% clean, as far as I could see. I also put in a Lamy feed and dip nib. Both were extremely good when finished. I think one cycle would have been enough for the nibs.
I then used some of the cleaner and cleaned jewelry. It was quite amazing, the difference of the jewelry before and after. I ran each set of jewelry thru two cycles of 380 seconds. Leaving time between to make sure the machine did not get hot itself.
Overall I am glad I bought it. It does not have a very big footprint so it will not take a lot of storage space. I looked at one at Harbor Freight, it was just too big and I did not want all those features. I did not think I needed the heat feature, although the water in the ISONIC did get warm, but not at all hot.
Thank You to all who answered my initial question of what to look for in one of these, especially the tip to not get one with controls on the top. I also looked at a few YouTube videos to learn how to use one.

Crazyorange
March 29th, 2015, 06:44 AM
I read your thread and bought the same model off amazon. I love it. I did read in the reviews that unit failed after dumping the water out of it. Some recommended removing the water with a turkey baster. Since it's so small, sucking the water out is easy. It's now a standard part of my cleaning.

klpeabody
March 29th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Thank you, Sandy. I always appreciate a good product recommendation from someone who has paid for that product, and used it successfully. Recently, I have been looking into purchasing an ultrasonic cleaner; your post is very timely.

caribbean_skye
March 29th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I have the D3800A and that works pretty darn well

sharmon202
March 29th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I use this on the kitchen counter beside the sink. When I empty it I tilt it to the side and get almost all the water out then I use a clean paper towel to get most of the rest. I leave the cover open. I do not bother to get it 100% dry because the latent heat dries it the rest of the way in just a few minutes. I wish I had used $50 for this instead of a pen last year. This morning I cleaned two hours worth of pens in less than an hour, including cleaner set up and put away, and a better job than by hand.

Jon Szanto
March 29th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Xlnt! And while these are certainly helpful for daily users and such, they TOTALLY rock when it comes to buying an old vintage pen, one that has sat for many years with ink clogging up the feed, nib, section, etc. Giving those a ride is always a very colorful experience, and nothing works better at starting to loosen the grip of time and lack of care that some of them have on them.

fncll
March 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Why not controls on the top? I have a cleaner that works quite well ... that has controls on the top. What should I be worried about?

cwent2
March 30th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Why not controls on the top? I have a cleaner that works quite well ... that has controls on the top. What should I be worried about?

Some with controls on top also have wiring in the top, so when you open and close the lid the wires over time may fail.

sharmon202
March 30th, 2015, 03:10 PM

Cwent answered for me. That was one of the many pieces of advice I received when I asked for peoples experiences before I bought one. They did not say it was a problem just something to think about, from their previous experience.

VertOlive
April 11th, 2015, 06:52 PM
This goes on the "Mother's Day Gift List" I like to publish for my guys next month.....:rolleyes: