PDA

View Full Version : Waterman Lady Patricias

Murfie
March 28th, 2015, 10:02 PM
While in a pen photo-taking mood I thought I would take some shots of one of my favourite Waterman models - the Lady Patricia. They are a small pen and I've put a Pelikan M250 (same size as the M200 and M400) in one shot to allow a size comparison. The Lady Patricia needs posting unless you have very small hands.

In the first photo, the pen at top is a 1929 Canadian made one in mist with an ink-vue lever filling system. The lower pen is a 1930's U.S. manufactured pen in moss agate. Both pens have fine 14kt gold nibs that have a good deal of flex in them. Cob will find the mist pen familiar as I was fortunate to purchase it from him at a London Geeks monthly meeting before Xmas last year.

These are really exquisite pens that, while tiny, feel very good in the hand. Both write superbly with a typical rich Waterman ink flow.

elaineb
March 28th, 2015, 11:36 PM
I had a beautiful blue Lady Patricia a long time ago. It looked like the lower one in the photo, only it was a blue celluloid with gold accent flecks. Lovely color, great condition. My parents, then antique dealers, found it in an old cardboard box lot they had bought, and gave it to me because they knew I like pens. It needed a new sac and the nib tuned just a little. (This was before I could do either.) So I sent it to a fountain pen repairer who did a lot of business with FPN members and was highly regarded.

Months went by, I never heard back from him, nor did anyone else who was waiting on repairs. The tale ended sadly when the guy's wife came onto FPN to say that he'd basically taken ill, could no longer do repairs, but hadn't been able to admit it to himself and so kept taking on repair orders long after he had more than he could handle. Over the months she tried to sort it out and return things to people, but my pen was never returned. By that point, my own life had changed dramatically due to family illness and I lost contact with the pen community.

I still think about that pen, though. I didn't have it for long, and I hope it's in a happy home, wherever it is.

Murfie
March 28th, 2015, 11:54 PM
That's a very sad story about your lost blue Lady Patricia, Elaine. However, they still pop up regularly on offer at pen shows, gopens.com (Gary Lehrer), and on other vintage pen sites. I'll keep an eye peeled for a similar one and I'll PM you if I happen to spot one. Unfortunately, a replacement won't come with the emotional attachment that the original had. Thank you for your post.

elaineb
March 29th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Thanks for your good thoughts. It honestly wasn't mine for very long and I hadn't paid for it... so I see it as having gone off on an adventure, once my parents let it out of its box. It makes me wonder what tales all our vintage pens would tell, if they could recount the stories of their lives.

Scrawler
March 29th, 2015, 11:19 AM
These are very beautiful pens. The Ink-Vue has one of the most complicated systems for filling a pen. It is basically a bulb filler with a system of levers. A set of special tools had to be made to resac mine.

Jon Szanto
March 29th, 2015, 11:59 AM
These are very beautiful pens. The Ink-Vue has one of the most complicated systems for filling a pen. It is basically a bulb filler with a system of levers. A set of special tools had to be made to resac mine.

Indeed. I found an Ink-Vue in one of those 'lots' on eBay that were the contents of a "junk" drawer: old costume jewelry, bits and pieces, and a celluloid pattern I thought I recognized. Sadly, there was a pretty badly marred spot on one side of the pen when I got it, and it hasn't been restored yet. But I'll make those special little wrenches and get around to it one of these days!

I had to look on an older computer, and I've just got two not-so-great pics of my one Lady Patricia, but it *is* a lovely little pen. Mine is in the slightly more difficult-to-fine Persian pattern; sorry that the pen is only pictured with other, non-Waterman pens. (Yeah, I'm not super-happy about the glowing end of the pen, what may very well be the start of crazing, but what are you going to do? This is a pen I'll take good care of, and not make an EDC or anything!)

Murfie
March 29th, 2015, 04:03 PM
It makes me wonder what tales all our vintage pens would tell, if they could recount the stories of their lives.
You've raised a very interesting aspect of buying vintage pens. I often wonder where a particular pen has spent its life before I came along as the new owner, especially when it's something from the late 20's/early 30's. Some years ago I bought a late 20's Parker Duofold Senior in mint condition that had a name etched on the barrel. The name was quite unusual and I managed to find a matching name on a 1931 Wisconsin voter's roll. I couldn't help but wonder what were the circumstances of what was most likely a gift for a special occasion, as I couldn't imagine someone buying a Parker, having their own name inscribed, then not using it. There was no evidence of the pen even being inked when I got it.

Bogon07
March 29th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Lovely looking pens & yours too Jon.

The diamond type pattern is fascinating.

You seem to have neglected a writing sample :)

Cob
March 30th, 2015, 02:48 AM

Indeed. I found an Ink-Vue in one of those 'lots' on eBay that were the contents of a "junk" drawer: old costume jewelry, bits and pieces, and a celluloid pattern I thought I recognized. Sadly, there was a pretty badly marred spot on one side of the pen when I got it, and it hasn't been restored yet. But I'll make those special little wrenches and get around to it one of these days!

I had to look on an older computer, and I've just got two not-so-great pics of my one Lady Patricia, but it *is* a lovely little pen. Mine is in the slightly more difficult-to-fine Persian pattern; sorry that the pen is only pictured with other, non-Waterman pens. (Yeah, I'm not super-happy about the glowing end of the pen, what may very well be the start of crazing, but what are you going to do? This is a pen I'll take good care of, and not make an EDC or anything!)

Yes the Persian is attractive but as you say prone to cracking; I have one here that has more cracks than a ringmaster's whip.

And @ Scrawler, I like the ink-vue system and I bought tools to rebuild the Lady P that Murfie has. It's fiddly but rather rewarding to make them work. And even the small Lady P ink-vue holds an amazing amount of ink - more than an Onoto 6233 according to Dr Oldfield.

Cob

Scrawler
March 30th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Yes the Persian is attractive but as you say prone to cracking; I have one here that has more cracks than a ringmaster's whip.

And @ Scrawler, I like the ink-vue system and I bought tools to rebuild the Lady P that Murfie has. It's fiddly but rather rewarding to make them work. And even the small Lady P ink-vue holds an amazing amount of ink - more than an Onoto 6233 according to Dr Oldfield.

Cob

The Ink-Vue seems to hold about as much ink as a Parker Vac of the same size. I am surprised that it is more than the Onoto, but what would I know, I do not have a working one just yet.:o

Cob
March 30th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Cob

The Ink-Vue seems to hold about as much ink as a Parker Vac of the same size. I am surprised that it is more than the Onoto, but what would I know, I do not have a working one just yet.:

Well this is based on a table in the Pen Repair Manual. The difference is small, but the Onoto is a very long pen: Waterman's Lady Patricia Ink-Vue - 1.7ml; Onoto 6233 1.62mL N.B. A Montblanc 149 holds 1.6mL. The Standard Vacuumatic holds a lot of ink: 2.7mL even more than the full size Ink-vue (2.5 mL).

Sorry you are still in Onoto trouble I have fixed all mine - including an Onoto Frankenpen! (5601 cap, nib /3050 barrel/section.

Cob

Scrawler
March 30th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Sorry you are still in Onoto trouble I have fixed all mine - including an Onoto Frankenpen! (5601 cap, nib /3050 barrel/section.

Cob
I am thinking of sending my Onoto to you, when my daughter goes to university in England. I cannot do it right now because the Canadian dollar is in the toilet.

Cob
March 30th, 2015, 10:46 AM
It will be a pleasure.

Sorry that the $Can is er, in the can...

Cob

Murfie
March 30th, 2015, 01:56 PM
That's not so bad ... they've pulled the chain on the AU$ and it's gone past the u-bend ...

Cob
March 30th, 2015, 04:38 PM
That's not so bad ... they've pulled the chain on the AU$ and it's gone past the u-bend ...

I believe that the word is the "dunny" yes?

C.

Murfie
March 30th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Technically that is correct, Cob. However the word 'dunny' has gone the way of 'cobber' and has become deprecated. With influence from Uncle Sam, 'cobber' has turned into 'buddy' (Yuk!) and 'dunny' has been replaced by a myriad of optional terms, loo .. er, too long to list here.

Cob
March 31st, 2015, 07:21 AM
Technically that is correct, Cob. However the word 'dunny' has gone the way of 'cobber' and has become deprecated. With influence from Uncle Sam, 'cobber' has turned into 'buddy' (Yuk!) and 'dunny' has been replaced by a myriad of optional terms, loo .. er, too long to list here.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear this; naturally I deplore the disappearance of Cobber!

It is of course the same in England; these days one hears people use the ugly expression "Can I get [e.g.] a glass of water?" When they mean "May I have a glass of water please?"

A friend of mine, who like me once worked for a while as a waiter, told me that he was strongly tempted to reply "No, you stay there - I'll get it."!

C.

Scrawler
March 31st, 2015, 07:55 AM

I'm genuinely sorry to hear this; naturally I deplore the disappearance of Cobber!

It is of course the same in England; these days one hears people use the ugly expression "Can I get [e.g.] a glass of water?" When they mean "May I have a glass of water please?"

A friend of mine, who like me once worked for a while as a waiter, told me that he was strongly tempted to reply "No, you stay there - I'll get it."!

C.

I am extremely pedantic, and am frequently irritated by the corruption of our language that results from the overarching reach of ignorant usage.

Scrawler
March 31st, 2015, 07:57 AM

C.

Dunny, Dunny, Dunny, it's so dunny, in a poor man's world (with all due apologies to Abba)

kaisnowbird
April 3rd, 2015, 10:48 PM
Congrats on the two Lady Patricias, Mr Murfie.

A moss agate has long been on my wish list and your specimen, as usual, is very fine. :)

Chrissy
April 4th, 2015, 05:06 AM

C.

I also find language corruption really irritating. 'Can I get' is certainly irritating, but not nearly as irritating as 'could of, would of and should of'

Cob
April 4th, 2015, 06:40 AM

C.

I also find language corruption really irritating. 'Can I get' is certainly irritating, but not nearly as irritating as 'could of, would of and should of'

Oh God yes!!

C.

Murfie
April 22nd, 2015, 04:19 AM
Teri Morris (Peyton Street Pens) has just listed this Lady Patricia (http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/waterman-lady-patricia-fountain-pen-ink-vue-grey-chrome-trim-semi-flex-fine-nib-very-nice-restored.html) for sale.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 22nd, 2015, 04:35 AM
Ah yes, Gertrude A. Young. Born in the last few years of the 19th century, lived in New York as the wife of De Forest M. Young. Had one son and one daughter...

ethernautrix
April 25th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I have a Lady Patricia just like that one, only mine is made in the USA (imprint on the barrel, which I didn't even notice until I searched for any imprint, since the end cap is devoid of markings).

I took a look at the one on Teri's website. The nib feed on mine has a red stripe. I'd have taken another picture, but my camera's battery needs to recharge.

I bought this pen for its lovely design on the barrel. It's in great working order, excellent condition, but I rarely use it, which should mean that I ought to sell it, but it's too pretty. I have its original nib (at least the nib that was on the pen when I bought it several years ago), but the nib that's on it now is (I believe) a semi-flex EF. Yeah, I should ink it up right now! Yeah, okay!

ethernautrix
April 25th, 2015, 11:41 AM
The Lady Patricia has Akkerman Hopjesbruin in it now, and wow! Oh yeah, this nib! *Like.*

Should add that I really like the filling mechanism. Yes, it's a lever, and I generally do not like levers, but I like this one, cos it's a -- I don't know the name of it, but it's different. Also, I like that I can see the ink as the barrel is filling. Great little beautiful pen.

Scrawler
April 25th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I have a Lady Patricia just like that one, only mine is made in the USA (imprint on the barrel, which I didn't even notice until I searched for any imprint, since the end cap is devoid of markings).

I took a look at the one on Teri's website. The nib feed on mine has a red stripe. I'd have taken another picture, but my camera's battery needs to recharge.
<snip>

<snip>

I bought this pen for its lovely design on the barrel. It's in great working order, excellent condition, but I rarely use it, which should mean that I ought to sell it, but it's too pretty. I have its original nib (at least the nib that was on the pen when I bought it several years ago), but the nib that's on it now is (I believe) a semi-flex EF. Yeah, I should ink it up right now! Yeah, okay!
Mine was made in Canada and also has the red stripe along the center of the feed.

gregamckinney
April 25th, 2015, 03:51 PM
This is one of my favorite topics. I collect Waterman from 1935 and earlier heavily, including Lady Patricias and also Persian pens and pencils.

Here is a shot showing several of the Lady Patricia colors:
On the far right is a very discolored (US) Lady Patricia in Persian. At the bottom of the photo is another pen in a variant of Persian that not infrequently appears on Canadian Lady Patricia pens.
Also in the bottom group is a Jet pen (celluloid) and a BHR example.
http://gergyor.com/images/waterman_ladypatricias.jpg

This shot is of a variety of Persian pens and pencils showing a wide variety of discoloration and deterioration. You can see the typical case where the pens discolor far worse than the pencils.
The pencil fifth from the left is the closest to the original color (per the catalogs, anyway) I have ever seen. I would love to have a 94 or a 52V in that state of preservation!
http://gergyor.com/images/persians.jpg

Best Regards, greg

Jon Szanto
April 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM
This is one of my favorite topics.

I'm glad: it was these very photos a while back on FPN that helped me identify a Persian Lady Patrician and purchase it. That top photo is pure gold.

ethernautrix
April 26th, 2015, 12:24 PM

Cob
April 26th, 2015, 12:59 PM
The Lady Patricia has Akkerman Hopjesbruin in it now, and wow! Oh yeah, this nib! *Like.*

Should add that I really like the filling mechanism. Yes, it's a lever, and I generally do not like levers, but I like this one, cos it's a -- I don't know the name of it, but it's different. Also, I like that I can see the ink as the barrel is filling. Great little beautiful pen.

Well of course it does have a lever, but it is not strictly speaking a lever-filler; it's actually a bulb filler, the difference being that instead of squeezing the bulb with one's fingers it is compressed by the lever mechanism! A subtle difference I agree but a difference all the same - and significant when one considers the Lady Patricia's ink capacity which is extraordinary for such a small pen.

Cob

ethernautrix
April 26th, 2015, 01:16 PM

Well of course it does have a lever, but it is not strictly speaking a lever-filler; it's actually a bulb filler, the difference being that instead of squeezing the bulb with one's fingers it is compressed by the lever mechanism! A subtle difference I agree but a difference all the same - and significant when one considers the Lady Patricia's ink capacity which is extraordinary for such a small pen.

Cob

This is one of the pens I bought on impulse, strictly for the looks of it. I did like the filling mechanism, in large part because I could watch the ink filling the barrel. And, yes, the ink capacity! And now, the [I]nib[I]. This pen just jumped up to a beautiful user, rather than just a sweet-looking pen I wanted to keep just because.

gregamckinney
April 26th, 2015, 05:56 PM
To clarify, most Lady Patricia pens have the traditional lever filler. There are three finishes with the Ink-Vue filler as shown by ethernautrix. (Top left three as shown in my picture in post 28.)

Regards, greg

Lady Onogaro
April 26th, 2015, 06:44 PM
This is one of my favorite topics. I collect Waterman from 1935 and earlier heavily, including Lady Patricias and also Persian pens and pencils.

Here is a shot showing several of the Lady Patricia colors:
On the far right is a very discolored (US) Lady Patricia in Persian. At the bottom of the photo is another pen in a variant of Persian that not infrequently appears on Canadian Lady Patricia pens.
Also in the bottom group is a Jet pen (celluloid) and a BHR example.
http://gergyor.com/images/waterman_ladypatricias.jpg

This shot is of a variety of Persian pens and pencils showing a wide variety of discoloration and deterioration. You can see the typical case where the pens discolor far worse than the pencils.
The pencil fifth from the left is the closest to the original color (per the catalogs, anyway) I have ever seen. I would love to have a 94 or a 52V in that state of preservation!
http://gergyor.com/images/persians.jpg

Best Regards, greg

Even discolored, they are beautiful.

Scrawler
April 26th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Even discolored, they are beautiful.

Yes they are. Mine looks very much like the second pen from left in the bottom row (not counting pencils). It is a nice XF flex nib. I paid $8 for it in a flea market when I was dating my wife. So that would have been nearly 30 years ago. I used to think the discolouration was due to secretions from the hand, until I learned about outgassing from the sac. Even at this stage of discolouration, next time I resac it, I will put a silicone sac in.

Cob
April 27th, 2015, 01:24 AM
To clarify, most Lady Patricia pens have the traditional lever filler. There are three finishes with the Ink-Vue filler as shown by ethernautrix. (Top left three as shown in my picture in post 28.)

Regards, greg

Quite so, I was focussing of course on the Ink-Vue model; my error.

Cob

ethernautrix
April 27th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Regards, greg

I regret that I didn't know about your collection or about these pens in general to ask you to bring them to Pen Posse when we were both local. Your pens are really gorgeous.

gregamckinney
April 27th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Thank you very much.
Next time I'm in Poland, I'll be sure to bring them with. ;)
greg

yeepers
August 10th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Reviving this thread. I just got my hands on a Lady Patricia similar to the one top one shown in the original post (Mist not Agate?). I will definitely need to have this sent out to be resacked/restored. I hope I didn't wind up with a dud. The lever is fascinating to me with it's 2-part mechanism vs. the one long lever. I have much to learn about vintage pens but it's starting to become a bit of an obsession!