PDA

View Full Version : Big Apple Pen Club: April 9, 2015 in NYC

jjlax10
March 30th, 2015, 07:21 PM
FP Geeks,

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the Big Apple Pen Club will be meeting on April 9, 2015. Please see below:

“Words are but air, but the pen leaves a mark”

April Meeting:
Thursday, April 9, 2015

7:00 P.M. to whenever

April Meeting Highlights: We will have two programs this month since March was a bust. First, as promised, we will be having a little fun for April fools, with imitators, knockoffs, and fakes. We will take a look at our own pens, think about the designs that spawned them, and ask, is it wrong for Hero to make a substandard Parker 51? Should Visconti pay the Sheaffer descendants for the plunger filler design? Can I start manufacturing my own pens and use the brand name from a defunct company is that okay? Can I go to China, and have Easterbrook embossed on the base metal clip, and put up a website with old advertising images from the original company? So please bring some those purloined Parker designs, sham Sheaffer knockoffs, and doubtful redux for what we hope will be a violent and passionate discussion.

And since our March meeting was a miss, we will have our ink program (originally named Ink like a lion, out like a lamb). This we hope to make an annual event. Please bring inks of all sorts, inks to trade and inks to give away. Since ink is an essential part of this hobby/obsession, we hope members will give recommendations, swap stories, and share experiences good and bad. Did you know Japanese inks may damage celluloid? Why do some Pen Experts decry certain ink brands? Has ink melted your pen parts? Whats the deal with Iron Gall?

Meeting No. 38—Agenda Items

1. Regular Introduction of members and guests.
2. April fools pens: Is it wrong or is it write? (sorry I could not help myself); imitators, knockoffs and fakes, when is it stealing, when is it the greatest compliment
3. Inks for the masses: the holy blood of fountain pen use; the good, the bad, and the shading; out, out damn spot: it slimed me.
4. Next Meeting, March 7, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
5. Adjourn (Approx. 9:30-10:00)

If you have any questions in the interim, please PM jjlax10. Also, please RSVP at your earliest convenience to Josh at lordlax@gmail.com so we have a reasonable estimate of the headcount.

Follow us on instagram: BIG_APPLE_PEN_CLUB