PDA

View Full Version : MY63 ~ Pen cases arrived & you must LOOK !

earthdawn
April 2nd, 2015, 11:55 PM
So many of us now know MY63 makes custom cases on a by request basis.

I was having trouble finding a case for my treasured Nakaya Desk pens as the size is .. well .. its a desk pen thats 8" long and meant to be on your desk.

While i have 2 I know there will be a 3rd added so I was looking for not just a case for "A" desk pen but 3.

After some discussion about sizes and colors and design, which really did not take long, Mike started work and has some play by play in his thread "Pen Cases (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4940-Pen-cases)"

So I ended up having him craft a matching single case as well for a Neo Standard size Nakaya as well.

Below you will find what arrived today. They are awesome !!!!!!! I can't explain how excited I was when i saw they arrived and I was actually going to be home early enough to grab the "sorry we missed you" note and make it to the post office to get the package. The girl at the desk saw me smiling with such excitement she chuckled and said " I guess theres something good in the package eh' ?"

I got home and carefully open it and I was blown away. Handmade and just stunning. The pens fit perfect though he left a tiny bit of room for error and I simply put a cotton ball down each tube in the 3 pen case to have them sit a little higher. The color contrast of yellow interior and stitching with the rugged red, as I call it, exterior compliments each other with style and grace.
There is a wrap around cord to keep it closed and he even went so far as to make a custom FPD logo out of metal to hang on the end. WOW that is really cool!
Let me tell you... one look at the case and you know whatever pens are in it must be special to the owner because it absolutely commands your attention.

As for the single case.. I did not expect it to be as nice as it was. Meaning i liked the look very much and wanted one. Once I put my hands on it I realized the depth of workmanship and security it provides. No I would not back my car over it, but I bet it would survive just fine. It is just that strong and protective. Fit and finish is right on. Is the stitching line on perfect... no ... BUT thats the appeal of something hand made. You know someone custom cut and stitched the leather with painstaking time. That is what tells you right away, again, that whatever is kept in the case must be a great personal treasure to the owner.

Last was a really nice extra gift that Mike made and put in. He was disappointed in that he was unable to carve out the FPD logo on the 3 pen case. I was more then OK with that as it was an after thought while doing the project. BUT he wanted to make sure I got something with the logo carved in it. What he crafted and sent was a field notes size cover. The journals a very tight fit, as they should be, and the stiffness of the leather will let me keep it in my back pocket and sit down with no worries. While I won't be doing that my point is that its just that nice and well made. It is not thin flimsy leather in any way.

I realize this is a way longer post then I thought it would be and i hope many have read through it as I really want others to know not just how nice the cases are or how happy I am but how much time, care, skill, craftsmanship and PASSION went into these. You all know "I like pens" but I love people who share their passion within our community. Mike has shared a piece of his passion and a part of his soul in these.

I look at what Mike sent and I know with a smile that these are something i will have till the end. Yea... they are that kind of special.

I will have to do a brief video so you can get a better view in all angles of how these are made and how well they work.

Sevenof9
April 3rd, 2015, 12:08 AM
Nice earthdown and well done Micheal. :) 7

Empty_of_Clouds
April 3rd, 2015, 01:13 AM
A ballpark for the cost would be useful information.

Crazyorange
April 3rd, 2015, 03:11 AM
Doesn't Michael make beautiful leather items? I LOVE my pen cases - one is a year old and besides the leather taking on patina from handling - it's in perfect condition.

I love the color combo. So different than black, brown and more black.

Michael had let me in on the secret notebook holder. I've been waiting to see it. Congrats on your beautiful suit of pen items.

MY63
April 3rd, 2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks Earthdawn for your kind words :redface: from the feedback I have received from others the colour will improve with time and use.

A ballpark for the cost would be useful information.

I am happy to answer that for you Cryptos, please remember that each case is different and they are custom made to each individual buyers requirements
If you want a ballpark figure then I would suggest the following as a starting point
A single pen case is around £50, a three pen case around £100, and the small notebook cover around £30

Thanks

Michael

inlovewithjournals
April 3rd, 2015, 03:23 PM
Michael is a genius with leather. I still use and love the notebook holder he made for me. :clap2:

jde
April 4th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I so thrilled you got your Nakaya deskpens a case(s)! Gorgeous work by Michael. Kudos all the way around.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 4th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I am happy to answer that for you Cryptos, please remember that each case is different and they are custom made to each individual buyers requirements
If you want a ballpark figure then I would suggest the following as a starting point
A single pen case is around £50, a three pen case around £100, and the small notebook cover around £30

Ah, that's me out then. Never mind, but thanks for the heads-up. :)

earthdawn
April 4th, 2015, 05:54 PM
To compare... Nakaya cases like this are $180 usd.

http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Pen-Cases-Boxes.htm

Empty_of_Clouds
April 4th, 2015, 07:05 PM
That's a massively biased comparison, so, to compare in the other direction, a Franklin Christoph 3 pen case in leather costs $39.50 (about 27 GBP). Perspective is everything in this game.

Crazyorange
April 4th, 2015, 07:31 PM
I think what's amazing about Michael's work....he's got arm and hand problems. Leather work is his therapy. I have two good hands and don't have the gift he's got. Plus his passion comes through his work. Very unique and full of his passion leather items. Knowing the person behind the work makes my cases closer to my heart. A FC case will never hold that for me.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 4th, 2015, 09:37 PM
I'm not knocking Michael's work, commitment, passion or quality. Simply stating that they are outside of my price range. Part of the territory when you're low SES. Even FC would be pushing it for me.

earthdawn
April 4th, 2015, 10:07 PM
That's a massively biased comparison, so, to compare in the other direction, a Franklin Christoph 3 pen case in leather costs $39.50 (about 27 GBP). Perspective is everything in this game.

LOVE their cases and the Penvelope 6 is one of my favorites...

Problem for me was finding a 3 pen case that would hold 8" pens. So custom made was the only way to go.

I only compared the Nakaya single case as it was similar in style... nothing more.