PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 DJ set on ebay

sloegin
April 6th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-1944-2nd-Qt-14K-GF-Chevron-Band-Parker-51-DJ-fountain-Pen-pencil-Set-/151635451842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234e2d5fc2). Thoughts?

tandaina
April 6th, 2015, 01:18 PM
What sort of thoughts? On the price, on the pen?

I would never pay that much for a 51, but if this is some sort of special one (I have no idea, not an area of interest of mine) in mint condition that you need to fill a hole in a 51 collection then it might be worth it to *you.* For a regular daily user? There are just too many 51s in great shape for a *lot* less.

Laura N
April 6th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Looks like a fair price to me. But I buy the junkers. :)

fountainpenkid
April 6th, 2015, 01:52 PM
It may just be the flash in the photos, but the pen's barrel looks to be in amazing condition, with very little desk wear. I think it will go well above $300.

sloegin
April 6th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I'm surprised at the result. The blind cap looks like a modern reproduction to me.

Laura N
April 6th, 2015, 09:32 PM
I'm surprised at the result. The blind cap looks like a modern reproduction to me.

Ah, well that would affect things. :)

I guess we'll see if it's relisted in a few weeks.

The winner isn't a newbie. Boy, though, the bidding does look odd, with that one guy making a gazillion bids.

Farmboy
April 6th, 2015, 09:38 PM

I agree. The Tassie is not correct. In one picture the blind cap jewel looks wrong.

The 'red ball' in the diaphragm is to me a likely a sign the pen has not been inked since the last restoration. Composition of the red ball would provide an answer.

I note a healthy dig on the cap as well.

mhosea
April 6th, 2015, 10:14 PM
The 'red ball' in the diaphragm is to me a likely a sign the pen has not been inked since the last restoration. Composition of the red ball would provide an answer.

I guess there's more than one type of red ball. My last "51" vac restoration had a red ball in it. It had been inked more than a few times after it was restored. That particular red ball was much tougher than the original celluloid balls. It bounced off my wire drill bit and started spinning around inside the cup. I hated it.

david i
April 14th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Fake butt.

Sad really.

-d

Lady Onogaro
April 14th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Interesting that it is in Crowley, Louisiana (Crowley is just down the road from us).

sloegin
April 14th, 2015, 06:01 PM
The seller has sold three of these pens with questionable blind caps in the past week!

david i
April 15th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Lesson sometimes are learned with pain.

-d

Farmboy
April 15th, 2015, 02:57 PM

I guess there's more than one type of red ball. My last "51" vac restoration had a red ball in it. It had been inked more than a few times after it was restored. That particular red ball was much tougher than the original celluloid balls. It bounced off my wire drill bit and started spinning around inside the cup. I hated it.

Styrene or a poly olefin. Original balls were neither.