PDA

View Full Version : FP to Sign the back of Credit Cards?

eriquito
April 6th, 2015, 07:36 PM
So, I'm sitting here looking at newly minted credit cards (replacements, I didn't go credit crazy... yet). As usual, the sticker on each instructs me to sign the back of the card. My question...

Has anyone ever tried signing the back of a credit card with a fountain pen? How'd that work out? Did the ink ever dry? Did the ink even come out of the pen?

I'll probably search the house for a ballpoint and sign them that way - unless someone with experience here can convince me otherwise.

Oh! I'll use the old cards as a testing ground! They're already signed, but I can get an idea of what to expect.

But yeah... if anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear (read) 'em.

Eric

Tracy Lee
April 6th, 2015, 07:38 PM
My handwriting is too neat and too easy to copy so I don't sign mine. I would probably use a gel pen though, for durability and level of difficulty to alter. Or a sharpie. I have used a sharpie in the past.

Jon Szanto
April 6th, 2015, 07:41 PM
One of the few areas I'd use a BP. Not only to avoid wipe-off and whatnot, but I press DAMN hard and make an indentation on at least the strip, if not the card itself.

Mags
April 6th, 2015, 07:42 PM
No Fountainpen has ever worked for me. I use a G2 pen which is in a Bolt by Karaskustoms or my MB ballpoint. Maybe BSB would work if you wrote slow but that darn signature strip is toooooooo narrow for those of us using a B or BB nib.

Waski_the_Squirrel
April 6th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Honestly, fountain pens are wonderful tools, but they are not the best tool for every job. Signing the back of a credit card (or, indeed, any kind of slick surface) is one of the jobs better suited to a ballpoint.

tandaina
April 6th, 2015, 07:49 PM
There are some modern jobs where a ballpoint just makes sense. This is one.

Jon Szanto
April 6th, 2015, 07:55 PM

After becoming so fetishistic about using fps for the last few years, I finally realized "don't be an idiot!". So I bought a cool old Jotter from Sam @ Pendemonium, put a gel-refill in it, and I always have it with me. Just for those moments.

BTW: anyone know where I can purchase glow-in-the-dark nail polish? Is this common, or should I source it on the Net? That is an honest question.

Neo
April 6th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Those strips were probably designed with ballpoints in mind.

Quantum Sailor
April 6th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I have actually used a fp to sign a credit card and it survived approximately one trip in my wallet before disappearing.

rwodaski
April 6th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Learned this at my bank: the pros use a fine or XF Sharpie.

Bogon07
April 6th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Rollerballs and liquid ink pens usually smear off just like a fountain pen too.
So credit and other cards are mostly ballpoint or finepoint indelible marker jobs.

Chrissy
April 7th, 2015, 03:10 AM
I would always use a BP for that job. I don't think other types of ink last well enough.

Then again, my credit cards probably get much more use than most though ;)

migo984
April 7th, 2015, 03:59 AM
I don't have credit cards and I don't tend to sign my bank/debit cards. Can't remember the last time anyone checked my signature. It's all about the PIN these days.

Cob
April 7th, 2015, 04:12 AM
I have actually used a fp to sign a credit card and it survived approximately one trip in my wallet before disappearing.

You should have used ESSRI!!

Cob

Cob
April 7th, 2015, 04:14 AM
Unfortunate my signature seldom fits into the pathetic little "boxes" provided these days.

I just had my driving licence application returned because "my signature extended outside the white box" SO I had to do a miniature version which hardly resembles my signature.

And the box on a Card is hopeless.

Cob

kaisnowbird
April 7th, 2015, 06:43 AM
My handwriting is too neat and too easy to copy so I don't sign mine. I would probably use a gel pen though, for durability and level of difficulty to alter. Or a sharpie. I have used a sharpie in the past.

Yep, I keep a fine-line sharpie around the house for these things. Used to label CDs with it, but CD/DVD burning days are long over. :sigh:
Modern technologies are so short lived.

I tried signing my Amex with a fountain pen the last time, failed quite miserably. Lucky I used Waterman Serenite Blue, which got wiped right off with a damp tissue.

dneal
April 7th, 2015, 07:18 AM

Every soldier worth his salt has a few packs of these. They're as permanent as anything I've ever found.

http://shopus.staedtler.ca/c/find-by-brand_lumocolor_permanent-sets

Costanza
April 8th, 2015, 06:12 AM

Yes - I found that this is the best choice. I actually use a fine point Sharpie, but same idea.

Robert
April 8th, 2015, 06:58 AM
I use a laundry marker to sign my credit cards.

eriquito
April 8th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Thank you to everyone who helped resolve this burning question!

My own testing proved two things:

1. A fountain pen (at least mine) will put down a bit of ink, but that ink will instantly disappear (absorbed into the strip)?

2. A gel pen will let you get your signature onto the strip, but it will never, ever, never dry. Smears right off.

As many have noted, the absolute best solution is a fine or extra-fine Sharpie.

On a side note, I did successfully sign my new passport with a fountain pen (after first testing the paper of my old passport). It worked so well, I think we should ask the State Department to begin offering Field Notes type notebooks =)

Eric

Flounder
April 8th, 2015, 10:43 AM

After becoming so fetishistic about using fps for the last few years, I finally realized "don't be an idiot!". So I bought a cool old Jotter from Sam @ Pendemonium, put a gel-refill in it, and I always have it with me. Just for those moments.

BTW: anyone know where I can purchase glow-in-the-dark nail polish? Is this common, or should I source it on the Net? That is an honest question.

Hah, I did the exact same thing, old stainless jotter from eBay with a new gel refill. That pen cost me something like £2.40, it's not even the slightly more desirable brass threaded type. Nevertheless, for some utterly irrational reason I've taken to carrying it in one of those preform tubes.

Is the nail polish to check for luggage tampering, or just club nights?

Dreck
April 8th, 2015, 03:51 PM

It should be fairly easy to find; you just have to look in the right place. I doubt one of the ubiquitous "super" stores will have it this far out from October, but any Claire's Boutique or Hot Topic should have it. In a pinch, I'd try Sally Beauty Supply, but the two aforementioned should be sure bets.

Quantum Sailor
April 8th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Cob

I had to look that up lol, I'm curious now if that would have the desired effect.

KBeezie
April 8th, 2015, 06:43 PM

I don't sign mine either, I put in sharpie "SEE ID" in that spot. Course guess how many cashiers bother to ask to see your ID...

skycat
April 8th, 2015, 07:35 PM
I don't sign mine either, I put in sharpie "SEE ID" in that spot. Course guess how many cashiers bother to ask to see your ID...

I do that too and it always throws me off when someone actually asks to see my ID.

Costanza
April 9th, 2015, 02:29 AM
I've always been under the impression that not signing the card is the most dangerous way to go. If somebody were to find my card, unsigned, they could sign it in their hand and then easily replicate the signature. At least if they have to copy my signature, they have to put some work into it.

As far as SEE ID on the back, I suppose this is more effective.

I do consulting work and one of the sectors I work with is retail. Talking with merchants and processors, I have learned a lot about are processing. On the back of most cards, it says "not valid unless signed." This means that if your card is unsigned or says SEE ID, the retailer does not have to accept it as a valid form of payment.

Now, this never happens for a few reasons. First, the retailer wants the sale and figures the card holder will be covered by the fraud protection of the issuer in the even of unauthorized purchases. Second, as pointed out, people rarely check the signature.

Back to the first point about an unsigned card - I had originally hoped the issuers would have some kind of automated system that would throw up a flag if it saw a signature that didn't match all of my others. Sadly, not really the case from what I understand.

oldstoat
April 9th, 2015, 03:10 AM
How important are signatures when contactless technology is in daily use, and self service tills are ubiquitous? I can go into a supermarket, a railway station or even a branch of WH Smith and make a purchase with no human contact at all.

Dreck
April 9th, 2015, 05:38 AM

Cob

Ha ha! It is pretty serious stuff!

kaisnowbird
April 9th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Or Field Notes should release a three pack passport special edition, with fun countries. I'm thinking Atlantis or Babylon, or Vatican.
:crazy_pilot:

VertOlive
April 9th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Mr. Dreck, your PM box is full.....

Dreck
April 9th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Mr. Dreck, your PM box is full.....

Hmmm... Emptied it. Thanks for the h/u

mrcharlie
April 9th, 2015, 10:10 PM
I do consulting work and one of the sectors I work with is retail. Talking with merchants and processors, I have learned a lot about are processing. On the back of most cards, it says "not valid unless signed." This means that if your card is unsigned or says SEE ID, the retailer does not have to accept it as a valid form of payment.
It has been a couple decades, but I have presented an unsigned card to retailer who promptly gave it back to me because it was unsigned more than once. On each occasion I signed the card right there and gave it back, and they processed it. It was much more common for retailers to check ID with credit cards then, so they probably did that as well, but I don't remember.

FWIW, while I like FPs best, I like many different types of writing implements. I use a ballpoint to sign credit cards as was intended.

If anyone can sign a credit card signature strip with a "Fine" Sharpie, you are a better man than me Charlie Brown. Officially the normal "fat" Sharpie is "Fine" in size, and the Pilot Razor Point looking ones are Extra Fine. As long as the ink doesn't wipe off (and y'all seem to be saying it does not), those should work well.

Bisquitlips
April 9th, 2015, 11:26 PM
I have tried but never got it to work!

Alas!!! Another reason to own a ball point besides those noisome documents we have to fill out when coming into customs from and international flight!

Morgaine
April 10th, 2015, 04:26 AM
I can't remember which banking institution (maybe a building society) it was, but their bank cards had the photo of the person on the back as well as the signature. However, it isn't done anymore.

As for copying signatures- there's that robot thing mentioned in the InCoWriMo section...

I use a ballpoint to sign my cards.

Sandy Fry
April 13th, 2015, 05:41 AM
I use a Sharpie for mine...carry a ballpoint at work ( in-case someone asks to borrow my pen )..
@Jon...I believe Party City carries glow in the dark nail polish!

David

KBeezie
April 15th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I use a Sharpie for mine...carry a ballpoint at work ( in-case someone asks to borrow my pen )..

David

Oddly I stopped carrying ballpoints or rollerballs in general all together. Least on me anyways, on campus in the top shelf of my locker I at least have a spare BP/RB and mechanical pencil as a *just in case*. I rarely ever have to sign credit card receipts these days, a BP is usually provided (especially if I happen to have one of the 'wetter' pens on hand and not the one I intend for that purpose).

Dreck
April 15th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I rarely ever have to sign credit card receipts these days, a BP is usually provided (especially if I happen to have one of the 'wetter' pens on hand and not the one I intend for that purpose).

ugh. I don't ever share pens. With anyone. Ever. When I use a fountain pen to sign credit card receipts, I just go over it with a bit of blotter paper I keep in my wallet. I'm already in there getting my card, so it's no additional trouble.

stevekolt
April 15th, 2015, 08:38 PM
I received my new AMEX card a couple weeks ago. I think the ability to use a fountain pen for this task is entirely dependent upon the ink used. I signed it with a Visconti HS Steel Age, sporting an extra fine nib with Mont Blanc permanent blue ink, and it hasn't budged in the least.

Xina
April 15th, 2015, 10:30 PM
The US Post Office official policy is to refuse unsigned credit cards, and I have seen them do it many times.

As for glow in the dark nail polish, you'll have the best luck in a trendy teen store. American Apparel has it online, and they have a store finder.

http://store.americanapparel.net/glow-in-the-dark-nail-polish_nailpolgd But old Walmart might just have it, too.

Sandy Fry
April 18th, 2015, 12:57 AM

David

Oddly I stopped carrying ballpoints or rollerballs in general all together. Least on me anyways, on campus in the top shelf of my locker I at least have a spare BP/RB and mechanical pencil as a *just in case*. I rarely ever have to sign credit card receipts these days, a BP is usually provided (especially if I happen to have one of the 'wetter' pens on hand and not the one I intend for that purpose).

Oddly, I always carry a ballpoint at work ( the same one I have had for 33 years ) as a courtesy for people at work who arrive without a pen to sign the time card. I am NOT going to hand over my Krone Amelia Earhart to someone, who thinks that $1.00 is expensive for a pen, to possibly abuse. Most of the people I work with have never seen a fountain pen let alone used one.
When not at work, I never carry a ballpoint...nor a pencil for that matter. Not that there is anything wrong with ballpoints/rollerballs or pencils...they each have their use/worth.

David

D.C. Wright
April 18th, 2015, 11:36 PM
I've used a Sharpie for this task for years - Ultra Fine Point. The signature has never wiped off - even on cards carried to their expiration date.
D.C.

Pendragon
April 19th, 2015, 02:58 PM

Then just sign the card using some minor but distinct (to you at least) variation in your signature. For example, if you normally dot your i's with a small circle, use a point instead. If you write your w's like 'VV', write it like 'UU' on the card signature instead. Etc. sales clerks are unlikely to notice such minor (to them) differences. Someone trying to forge your signature will copy it as exactly as they can, which will enable you to identify which signatures are not legit. It could also assist anyone investigating fraud on your card. Leaving the credit card signature blank removes this layer of protection.

I love writing with a fountain pen, and it would be so cool to have my card signed with my favorite ink and pen. Ballpoints really are better for a few specific tasks, however, including credit card signatures and signing credit card receipts. Greatly enjoying the use of a fountain pen does not mandate an aversion to ballpoints or any other pen type. Why not use the best tool for the task? Hmmm... A gel pen does seem like a good idea.

Tracy Lee
April 19th, 2015, 03:01 PM

Then just sign the card using some minor but distinct (to you at least) variation in your signature. For example, if you normally dot your i's with a small circle, use a point instead. If you write your w's like 'VV', write it like 'UU' on the card signature instead. Etc. sales clerks are unlikely to notice such minor (to them) differences. Someone trying to forge your signature will copy it as exactly as they can, which will enable you to identify which signatures are not legit. It could also assist anyone investigating fraud on your card. Leaving the credit card signature blank removes this layer of protection.

I love writing with a fountain pen, and it would be so cool to have my card signed with my favorite ink and pen. Ballpoints really are better for a few specific tasks, however, including credit card signatures and signing credit card receipts. Greatly enjoying the use of a fountain pen does not mandate an aversion to ballpoints or any other pen type. Why not use the best tool for the task? Hmmm... A gel pen does seem like a good idea.
They aren't blank. Block letters direct them to proper ID. I have an inability to make variations in my writing that would be useful. Just who I am. It has worked for me all these years, so far so good.

mrcharlie
May 2nd, 2015, 05:46 PM
I have always liked "office supplies" including all sorts of pens and pencils. F.P.s are my favorite, but I'm happy to use a ballpoint where it is the most appropriate. So I've never previously tried to use anything else on a credit cart signature block.

But just recently I received a pre-paid card as the payment for a "refund". I used it to experiment. In every case I wrote on the signature block and then wiped it 10+ seconds later with a damp finger.

Fountain pen:
I tried a couple of "permanent" F.P. inks including Skrip Jet Black and Platinum Carbon Black on it; they both wiped right off. I didn't try any I.G. fp inks.

Ballpoint:
I tried a plebian disposable promotional ballpoint and a Parker Fine Black refill ballpoint. Both were fast and not changed at all by trying to wipe them with my finger. The block is made to work with ballpoint ink, after all ...

Fiber tip:
I tried a "Sharpie Pen" (physically the same sort of tip as a Pilot Razor Point or Sharpie Permanent Marker Ultra Fine, but not the same ink as the Sharpie Permanent Marker), a PaperMate felt tip pen (Flair?), and some Alvin Penstix fiber-tip art pens. All wiped off and the Penstix didn't even really write on it. I don't have a Pilot Razor Point handy (my favorite "fiber tip" type pen, but hard to find in American stores nowadays).

Permanent Marker:
I tried a Sharpie Ultra Fine Permanent Marker and a BiC MarkIt Ultra Fine Point Permanent Marker (the main competitor for the Sharpie Ultra Fine markers that I know of), and both worked on the block and didn't wipe off. A regular "Fine" Sharpie makes too thick of a line for me to write a recognizable signature in such a small space, so I didn't bother with it.

Gel Ballpoint:
I tried a Pilot G2, Parker Gel, and uni*ball 207 Signo, and all wiped off. They didn't want to write on the block very easily, sliding on the block without leaving ink but all could be coaxed to leave marks with a few tries, but the Gel inks didn't stick or absorb into the block the way regular bp inks do. The Signo in particular was a hope since it is a nice permanent ink on paper (both highly lightfast and water resistant), but no.

In my testing you are best off with an ultra fine point permanent marker or a ballpoint, regardless of whether you are writing a real signature or instructions to check ID.

FWIW, I don't see any big downside to actually signing it; most people can't easily forge a signature even if they have one to look at, and most uses of credit cards today don't require any signature comparison or ID check anyway. And actually signing it is what the credit card companies would like us to do, and they are on the hook for most credit card fraud ultimately.

Skyderz
April 26th, 2024, 10:42 AM
The Financial Freedom Handbook is your comprehensive guide to achieving autonomy over your finances. Inside, you'll find essential strategies and practical tips to help you build wealth, manage debt, and secure your financial future. Learn how to set achievable financial goals, create a budget, and prioritize saving and investing. Discover the power of passive income streams and diversification to maximize your earnings and minimize risk. Gain insights into smart spending habits, debt repayment strategies, and effective ways to build an emergency fund. With step-by-step instructions and actionable advice, this handbook equips you with the knowledge and tools you need to attain financial freedom. 현금화 카드깡 업체 (https://maxidv.com/) Take control of your financial destiny and embark on the path to a brighter future with the Financial Freedom Handbook as your trusted companion.

Doggy Daddy
April 27th, 2024, 11:52 PM
After reading the latest (relevant) post, what should arrive in the mail today but two new cards to replace ones that are near their expiration date.

The 1st card was a bank debit card and I took the advice of the brain trust here and successfully signed the back of it using a Sharpie Ultra Fine Permanent Marker.

Then I looked at the 2nd card which is for my Amazon Prime account. It's a VISA administered by Chase Bank and guess what, there is no place to sign it!

The card is made of metal and is very dark blue (midnight blue?) on both sides. There is a minimum of mostly silver numbers & text where required. The back of the card has a much lighter blue-gray strip across the top where most cards would have the black magnetic strip. There is no way to tell if this blue-gray strip has encoded information or if everything is now embedded in the chip. Other than this strip and the required text & numbers, the rest of the card is the previously mentioned midnight blue.

The paperwork enclosed with the card makes no mention of signing it. You are directed to either the bank's app or website to activate the card, but these make no reference to signing it either. The mere act of logging on to the app or website is all that's required to activate the new card.

And that's it. Apparently, no signature is required which, given all of the recent reports of the current generation of young adults being unable to read cursive or even sign their own name, I suppose makes dropping the signature as a form of identification inevitable.

Ironically, Chase calls this Amazon Prime card the VISA Signature.:facepalm: