PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Around Here Understand Excel?

Cob
April 7th, 2015, 03:48 PM
All I want to do is subtract a number in one column from a number in another column.

Could some kind soul please tell me what to type in the formula bar? I am reaching the point of throwing the damn computer out of the window - or through the window.

I know that Excel can do everything except the laundry; I can't!

Help is useless - life's too short for all that verbiage.

Thanks in advance.

Cob

Sammyo
April 7th, 2015, 03:52 PM
In an empty cell type "="
Then select the cell you want to subtract from
Then type "-"
Then select the cell you wish to subtract
Then press return

The cell should show the answer and the formula bar should read something like "=D12-F14"

I hope that makes sense :)

Chrissy
April 7th, 2015, 03:54 PM
If you want the value in Column C to be the value in Column A minus the value in Column B then in cell C1 type =A1-B1 then for cell C2 type =A2-B2 and so on

top pen
April 7th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Click on the cell you want to have the calculation in. Then type = followed by clicking the first cell of the column that you want to subtract from followed by the subtract sign which is left of equals on your keyboard. Then click the cell you want take away from that first cell. Then hit enter. If you hover the mouse in the right hand bottom corner of the cell you just typed in the formula in you will see the cursor turn into a plus symbol, drag down to apply this subtraction to multiple cells.

This would also be useful to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvdCHjOKYg

Chrissy
April 7th, 2015, 03:59 PM
I just got my OH out of bed and down here to the study to explain this for me to type :)

Cob
April 7th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Oh you lovely people!

It works! And I remembered how to get it to do it in the other rows automatically/ Phew!

Actually about 15 years ago I used to be able to do quite complicated stuff in Excel, but - well time passes doesn't it?

Thank you all so much

Cob