PDA

View Full Version : New Collector and Member from the Inland Northwest of USA

Saintpaulia
September 2nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
I figure it is long past time to introduce myself, somewhat after the fact. Here's an Introduction and I'll follow this with a chronological listing of pens I've ordered, both those I've kept and which are a part of my collection now (Sept. 2, 2012) and those I had to send back.

Hey there! (with all due obeisance to my mentor in the Kingdom of The Netherlands)

My story really goes all the way back to those Golden Days now long past when modern life was much more civilized and people still wrote with fountain pens when they had serious work to do. Like school work. Ball point pens were just beginning to make their inroads into daily life, but were considered decidely declassé. This was the end of the 1950s and the early years of the 1960s and I was a school boy in Midland, Texas. Back then one could buy a Sheaffer Student pen for $1.00 and I did (it was bright yellow w/ a silver cap). I kept that pen until the latter days of the 1960s when it became lost along with much else in my life during that turbulent era. I'll come back to this.

I used to write with that fountain pen in my Journals, a series of notebooks of a spiral wire type. That Sheaffer wrote well on that paper. And it was memories of these journals that led me this past several weeks to look into using fountain pens again; to, well, recapture that sense of writing with more elegance and intent. Basically I was looking for another Sheaffer Student type pen like the one I had. I discovered such pens were now considered "vintage" while at the same time also considered rather primitive, novelties really.

What I did find though on eBay, Amazon and via the googlized searches for on-line pen companies, were some inexpensive pens of modern manufacture. My favorite business in this regard was and is Goulet Pens. I ordered from them a series of pens -- not intentionally, it just turned out that way.

I began by ordering a Kaweco Sport in white with gold trim in a fine nib. I have an attraction to white pens, they look so clean, simple and elegant (more on this anon). I also tend towards fine point nibs as I write small. The Kaweco was chosen because I have rather small hands for a male, more on the order of a slightly large woman's hands (this leads me to the women's glove section of gardening supplies). When it arrived I was surprised by just how small the Kaweco Sport was. And even more important how short it was. This would not have been in itself a reason to return it, but when I inked it up and began to write with it in my journal I discovered that even with a fine point nib the ink was WAY TOO WET. (It was only later, a few pens later, that I realized the fault, dear Brutus, lay not in the pens but in the paper). Fortunately for me, the folks at Goulet are ultra-accommodating and took this Kaweco back (but I did clean it thoroughly before sending it back).

I went back to the old proverbial drawing board (almost literally) and then ordered my second pen, a Sheaffer Prelude. In a sense this was going in the opposite direction, since the Prelude is a much more expensive pen than the Kaweco, as well as being made of metal and not plastic. Of course I ordered this in a fine nib as well, hoping that this would enable me to write in my journal with it. It did not. Plus it introduced a new wrinkle -- this Sheaffer was a bit too thick for my hands. Now, admittedly, if I had some place here in Spokane where I could actually hold these pens I would not have had to keep ordering and sending back pens -- something I felt very bad about since it costs companies money as well as myself. And yet that is what I had to do, send it back. And as before, no problem says Goulet.

This was beginning to get embarrassing. So I tried to use what I had learned with these two pens when I made my next order, which was also with Goulet, a Platinum Plaisir. This was much less expensive than the Prelude, was also made of metal, came in a fine nib and...well...I just thought it was gorgeous looking! I ordered mine in the gold finish, and when combined with that silver band at the bottom of the cap made the pen look, to me, like a very slim Fabregé egg. In the same order I took the precaution, at the recommend of Alex at Goulet, of buying some Noodler's X-Feather ink. Hoping that this would solve the wetness problem I had been having with the two previous pens when writing in my journal.

Although it was scarcely better than the two other pens, the Platinum was so pretty that I couldn't bear to send it back too! That and my reputation at Goulet! Meanwhile I had also bought, as a way of seeing if the problem was my notebook's paper, some higher quality Clairefontaine Triomphe paper. With that paper I discovered that most of the problem was with my notebook's paper. The Plaisir wrote quite respectably on it as a fine nib should. (By the way I have yet to use the Noodler's X-Feather ink). Anyway, my third pen, the Plaisir, sits right now on my desk at my right hand. It is now filled with J. Herbin's Violette Pensée (which writes much drier). It is however still too large and thick for my small hands as much as I like it.

OK. So for my next, fourth pen, I chose a Lamy Safari. I chose this because I was yet hoping to find a fine point nibbed pen that would write in my notebook on its cheapo paper, and a pen that was not so thick. Imagine my surprise when the Safari arrived and turned out to be as large as, if not larger than, the Plaisir! Same weight too. However, it's fine nib was marginally better on the notebook paper. Whether this was in fact its nib I don't know. It could also have been the Lamy propriety black ink it came with. I also bought a cartridge coverter for it planning on eventually using the Noodler's in it. This Safari was also in my favorite color of white and did indeed look quite elegant. I also bought a Platinum converter and some blue ink.

I kept this Lamy up until just this week, about a month. I tried and tried, but could not love it. It was really just simply too big for my hands and it did not have the added value of looking as pretty as the Plaisir. So I put it up for sale on eBay and it sold immediately. Admittedly it was a good deal as I included in the sale the converter I had never used and the 5 cartridge pak likewise never used. Another reason that I finally decided to sell the Lamy was because I had just ordered two pens, again in white, to replace the Lamy. But before I get into all that (modern history) I need to talk a bit about my fifth pen.

My fifth pen was a Sheaffer Student type pen from the 1960s. In fact I was tickled pink to find it at auction on eBay because not only was it just like my own pen from way back then, but it was also the same color, yellow, and it had never been used (what is apparently called NOS [new-old-stock]). It was also, fortunately, a fine nib. It sits next to my Plaisir right now. Filled with Skrip blue-black ink. I can't write with it in my journal as it is just as wet as were the Kaweco and Prelude and Plaisir. But no matter, I just love it anyway and it does write very nicely on my Clairefontaine.

Believe it or not, somewhere in this time period I had also ordered (not from Goulet) a Parker I.M. in black with gold trim, again in a fine nib. My sixth pen. It was really different. Quite attractive, and very heavy which I thought I might like, but even more to the point (no pun intended), it actually skipped! This was my sixth pen and none of the others had ever skipped. That was simply not going to be tolerated and so back it went too!

Are you beginning to get the picture? I have had a horrible experience in trying to find a suitable fountain pen. Some people may get some sort of sick kick out of buying and returning pens but I am not one of them. For one thing it costs me time and money. Basically, unless you already know what you are buying, buying by mail order is the worst way to shop.

Now pens numbers seven and eight sort of go together. They were bought at the same time from eBay sellers, both were white and both were decidedly narrow lightweight pens: a Parker Vector and a vintage Diplomat, which is apparently a woman's pen given the seller's description. Of the two the Vector has already arrived (yesterday) and the Diplomat is yet to. I inked up the Parker Vector immediately and immediately experienced ITS problem -- I could not get a hold on it! The metal grip section is too slippery for my hand. It was also a medium nib, my first, and did not help at all in the notebook paper wars. So it's going back too.

Now to the Diplomat. It has not yet arrived. It is white and narrow like the Vector but a completely different manufacturer (Diplomat is a German pen company of some repute). Judging by the excellent photos provided by the eBay seller, this pen is going to require some cleaning. I may even get to try milk! I would not have even considered buying such a pen in its condition except that it is... well...narrow and white! And the price was right. Very right. So we'll see on this one just what happens. Regardless I will NOT be sending it back!! LOL.

OK. This brings this narrative (or sordid tale) up-to-date. I now own three pens, two of which are presently in my possession. And, with the exception of the Diplomat, which I am not counting on, I am still looking for the type of pen I began looking for two months ago. My current interest is in the Sheaffer Agio. I learned about this style of Sheaffer from Stephen Brown's review of it. Before that I had never seen it offered by any of the more well-known on-line pen companies. And in fact it is not offered by most of them.

The Agio has seemingly everything I am looking for: narrowness, metal for heft and solidness, comes in a fine nib, and in many colors (I'm still enamoured of finding a black with gold trim), and I have really begun to also become enamoured over the Sheaffers in general. But on the other hand... it received a very, very negative review right here on FPN back on 18 May 2009, by dr3am, mainly on account of its cap, which from his description, has no real workmanship to it. The bottom of the cap where it meets the barrel is just a thin, sharp metal like a bullet casing! I am still looking into this. Would appreciate any feedback.

Anyway, that's my introduction to you and my introduction to fountain pens, for what it's worth.

Breck

Saintpaulia
September 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
Sort of as an addendum to the previous list, I thought it might be interesting to me and you all to see a listing of all the pens I have ordered, not just the ones that I still have. It might give beginners some solace if they happen to order what turns out to be the "wrong" pen for them. I went through my share of missteps as you will see. An asterisk indicates pens still in my possession and which I plan on keeping.

Pens ordered since I began collecting, in chronological order

1. Kaweco Sport [F] (white) - 4/20/12
2. Sheaffer Prelude [F] (dark blue) - 5/03/12
*3. Platinum Plaisir [F] (gold) - 5/29/12
4. Lamy Safari [F] (white) - 6/06/12
5. Parker IM [F] (black/gold) - 6/12/12
*6. Sheaffer Student (yellow) - 6/24/12
7. Parker Vector [F] (white) - 7/09/12
8. Diplomat ‘unknown name; small ladies’ (white) - 7/10/12
9. Sheaffer Agio [M] (brushed stainless steel) - 7/16/12
10. Pilot Cavalier [F] (dark blue) - 7/18/12
*11. Sheaffer Agio [F] (brushed stainless steel) - 7/21/12
*12. Noodler non-flex/old style feed [F-M] (red) - 7/23/12
*13. Pilot 78G [M] (black/gold) - 8/02/12
*14. Noodler flex/new style feed [F-M] - 8/09/12
*15. Pilot Cavalier [M] (dark blue) - 8/10/12
*16. Duke D07 [M] (white) - 8/11/12
*17. Kaigelu 357 [M] (red/gold) - 8/13/12
*18. Namiki Falcon [SM] (black/gold) - 8/13/12
19. Sheaffer No Nonsense [M] (white) - 8/15/12
*20. Picasso 908 [M] (red/gold) - 8/16/12
*21. Rotring Surf [M] (light blue) - 8/23/12

In most instances the pens that I returned were too thick at the grip section for me, or, in the case of the early Asian pens, which I ordered in fine nibs, were too fine!

As can be seen, by the time I got to pens numbered 11-21, I had begun to figure out what worked for me and quit making such missteps. Practice makes master!

So as of today, September 2nd, I have an even dozen pens. On order and yet to arrive is what will be my 13th pen, a Nemosine Singularity [F] in ivory.

It will also be obvious to the discerning eye that I am a collector of modest means. I hope that my collection will encourage others of limited disposable income to collect fountain pens. You can put together an interesting and very nice collection for very little money over time.

Cheers, Breck

Tracy Lee
September 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Hi Breck, and welcome. Thanks for the intro and for telling us what you have. :) I agree you can build a collection at virtually any price point that can provide great enjoyment. One of the many wonderful things about fountains. I can barely imagine life without my pens, or my life before I bought my first - a green Waterman Hemisphere that I still have after 16 or more years.

KrazyIvan
September 2nd, 2012, 11:52 PM
Breck, welcome to the board. :D

writingrav
September 3rd, 2012, 04:44 AM
Welcome Breck. Great introduction.

Maja
September 3rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Welcome to FPGeeks, Breck! :welcome:

There is a pen club here that might be of interest to you, based on where you live in the U.S:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DrySidePenCollectors/

Saintpaulia
September 10th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Welcome to FPGeeks, Breck! :welcome:

There is a pen club here that might be of interest to you, based on where you live in the U.S:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DrySidePenCollectors/
Hey thanks. I almost missed this info. Breck

Maja
September 11th, 2012, 12:55 AM
You're welcome :)

Bogon07
September 11th, 2012, 05:12 PM
SaintPaulia, Hi & Welcome.
It is informative and also entertaining to see how your pen collection has built up.
That is a pretty impressive collection to acquire in only 4 months.

Pity about the Safari but pens and inks are so subjective.

Good luck with your continued collecting.

Saintpaulia
September 11th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hello Capybara :)

Thanks for the kind words and recognition. It's only been 4 months? Let's see if I was counting right. May, June, July, August...yep, 4 months. Eeek!

It's funny but some of the pens seemed to come in "waves" as if they had a life of their own. The 3 Chi-pens were that way and esp. the two red ones (Kaigelu 357 and Picasso 908) but that's another story. The Noodler's were like for shading work, at least the two flexes. My first Noodler was bought just to have the first of the company's products: non-flex, old style, hand cut nib, etc. A collector's item? Well actually it is one of my favorite writers because it is small.

Anyway there is a story behind each acquisition. And I acquire new ones very carefully now. I've slowed down radically and begun to concentrate upon inks. I keep a record (daily if necessary) of the pens and what inks are in them (lest I forget!).

And yet the collector is alive and well. Currently he thinks maybe we need a Rotring Freeway. And since it is nearly unobtainable, that makes him drool even more!

Saintpaulia
October 14th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Hey there y'all! Well 'tis been several weeks since I updated my Introduction but now seems a good time as things have begun to "coalesce" somewhat. Less flux, you know?

So first of all I will list here my current pens as of 10-14-2012. They are arranged in chronological order based upon when I acquired each. Beside each pen is the ink currently in each:

1. Platinum Plaisir [M]. Sheaffer Red.
2. Sheaffer Student. Diamine Burnt Sienna.
3. Sheaffer Agio [F]. De Atramentis Aubergine.
4. Noodler’s non-flex (red). Noodler X-Feather black.
5. Pilot Cavalier [M]. Noodler Liberty’s Elysium.
6. Pilot 78G [M]. Diamine Rustic Brown.
7. Noodler’s flex (yellow). Noodler Apache Sunset.
8. Duke 1853 [M]. J. Herbin Rouge Bourgogne.
9. Kaigelu 357 [M]. J. Herbin Rouge Hematite 1670.
10. Rotring Surf [M]. Noodler Baystate Blue.
11. Noodler’s flex (clear). J. Herbin Violette Pensée.
12. Picasso 916 [M]. Diamine Kelly Green.
13. Waterman Hémisphère [F]. Waterman blue
14. Jinhao 165 [M]. Noodler Habañero.
15. Parker Jotter [M]. Platinum Aurora Blue.
16. Guanleming 2001 [F]. Diamine Cerise.

Of these my top five favorites are:
1. Waterman Hémisphère. It's white. It's smooth, It's French!
2. Sheaffer Student. It's yellow. It's cheap. It's what started this whole thing.
3. Pilot Cavalier. It's blue. It's small. It's Japanese!
4. Sheaffer Agio. It's stainless steel. It's medium sized. It's just right weight.
5. Noodler Nib Creaper. Any of them. I have a red, a yellow and a demonstrator. They're workhorses.

But closely on their heels are my "Chi-Pens" and a couple of others:
6. Kaigelu 357. It's red. It's been across two oceans. It's been in a Shoot-out!
7. Duke 1853. It's white. It's also been across two oceans and tweaked by The Stevemeister.
8. Jinhao 165. It's gold. It's really gold. Did I mention IT IS GOLD. Oh, OK, sorry.
9. Parker Jotter. It's blue. It's plastic. It's really small.
10. Pilot 78G. Meh. However it's growing on me.

Those are basically the high points. The lower ones I will cover in another post.
Cheers to all for making this a great Forum. Breck