PDA

View Full Version : Post Chicago Pen Show Meet Up

TerraNoir
April 13th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Just trying to get some of us together to sit around, gather, enjoy some fun conversation and to show up our new purchases. I know that there is some sort of eatery in the middle of the atrium. So that might be a good place to organize this. There will be a "kickstart" at the show as well. There are some nice places to eat around here as well. Though I know that I will be hunting for a Starbucks after the show is over. For sure!

Any suggestions or just to say, "I'LL BE THERE!" will be awesome!

SteveE
April 13th, 2015, 10:17 AM
I'll be at the show on Saturday morning, so depending upon when people want to get together, I may be there. Also, I could get back there on Sunday, too.

As for Starbuck's, there is one about 5 or so minutes away if you go east on Higgins, just before you get to River Road (the road the Westin is on). It is set back from the road, on the north side of the street. (Why do I know this? I live only 1-2 miles away from there.)

TerraNoir
April 13th, 2015, 07:23 PM
I'll be at the show on Saturday morning, so depending upon when people want to get together, I may be there. Also, I could get back there on Sunday, too.

As for Starbuck's, there is one about 5 or so minutes away if you go east on Higgins, just before you get to River Road (the road the Westin is on). It is set back from the road, on the north side of the street. (Why do I know this? I live only 1-2 miles away from there.)

Sweet!! You are definitely a life saver. I know if there is a post off site get together, this will be a detour of mine.

lowjax
April 14th, 2015, 11:04 AM
I think I will be there Friday and Saturday, but probably leaving mid-afternoon on Saturday. Hope to meet a lot of you there.

Linkdeath
April 14th, 2015, 02:37 PM
I'll almost certainly be there on Saturday, possibly on Sunday as well, but that's more up in the air for me.

TerraNoir
April 14th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I think I will be there Friday and Saturday, but probably leaving mid-afternoon on Saturday. Hope to meet a lot of you there.

A group of us are meeting up at the Andersons table at about 10. Hope to see you there!!

lowjax
April 14th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Sounds great! I will try to get there in time for the meet-up. I was up to the Anderson's store on Saturday and had a chance to meet them. A couple of great people.

lowjax
April 14th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Maybe I should ask this in its own thread, but I don't see one dedicated to the Chicago Pen Show. I'm sending payment in tomorrow for the weekend registration, but am wondering about the hotel. It is worth the extra money to stay at the Sheraton or would a cheaper hotel that is very close be ok as well? What do most people do? I see the Sheraton also charges $15 a day for parking, which adds up quickly. Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but this is my first time at a pen show, so not sure all the ins-and-outs or best practices.

TerraNoir
April 15th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Maybe I should ask this in its own thread, but I don't see one dedicated to the Chicago Pen Show. I'm sending payment in tomorrow for the weekend registration, but am wondering about the hotel. It is worth the extra money to stay at the Sheraton or would a cheaper hotel that is very close be ok as well? What do most people do? I see the Sheraton also charges $15 a day for parking, which adds up quickly. Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but this is my first time at a pen show, so not sure all the ins-and-outs or best practices.

Well I know that when I went to DC, I would have been much happier staying at the host hotel. But then again the hotel that they ended up putting me in (they overbooked the host hotel...BIG TIME.) I got charged 35 a night! So I wasn't really happy about that. I know there is suppose to be free parking somewhere nearby the hotel as well. I think Mr. Wooten can answer that question better than myself. The best practices are to do whats best for you and your situation. I know that I actually paid for parking last year. It was just for my own peace of mind. I knew where my car was and I could ask people where to find said parking lot. Not having to use an app or something. Haha! Just my two cents. I hope that it was helpful.

Roger W.
April 15th, 2015, 09:15 AM

Obviously staying at the hotel makes it easy to be where everything is going on. I don't know how it works for the parking if you are staying. That's right, I'm going to commute because I always have though, if I'm running this again next year maybe I'd stay, I know it would be so much easier. For those not staying there is free parking catty corner to the hotel - a very easy walk.

Roger W.

lowjax
April 15th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the information. I think I just put 2 and 2 together. I think you are the Roger I was emailing about the weekend registration. I look forward to meeting you there.

I might just stay at the Sheraton to make things easier. Convenience vs Cost.

Also, does anyone know what time rush hour starts near Chicago? I really don't want to get stuck in 3 hours of rush hour traffic so might try to get down there before it starts. It's about a 90 minute drive with no traffic. If I start at 6:00 AM and hit the edge of Chicago by 7:00, will that be OK?

SteveE
April 15th, 2015, 12:03 PM
If you're coming toward Chicago at 7 AM, be prepared for some traffic. "Rush Hour" is a misnomer, as there are only 1 or 2 hours of the entire 24-hour day when traffic is light on the expressways. The unfortunate thing for you is that you will be driving along with all the folks from the northern suburbs toward Chicago. It will be slow, maybe 30 or 40 MPH, but you will be getting off the expressway before the worst of it. If you are using a GPS device and taking I-294/I-94 Southbound, follow the signs toward O'Hare Airport. That will get you off the expressway and route you down a mile or so of surface streets to the hotel. Probably better than whatever default route the Nav device may choose.

You could also check some other hotels nearby. I have no idea of their rates in comparison to the Sheraton, but there is a Hilton Garden Inn on River Road nearby, and also a Springhill Suites by Marriott on Higgins Road a bit farther east (maybe 10 minutes). There are also other hotels in the area, but try not to go too far south of the airport, as some of the suburbs a few miles south are a bit "dodgy."

Laura N
April 15th, 2015, 01:35 PM
If you're coming toward Chicago at 7 AM, be prepared for some traffic. "Rush Hour" is a misnomer, as there are only 1 or 2 hours of the entire 24-hour day when traffic is light on the expressways. The unfortunate thing for you is that you will be driving along with all the folks from the northern suburbs toward Chicago. It will be slow, maybe 30 or 40 MPH, but you will be getting off the expressway before the worst of it. If you are using a GPS device and taking I-294/I-94 Southbound, follow the signs toward O'Hare Airport. That will get you off the expressway and route you down a mile or so of surface streets to the hotel. Probably better than whatever default route the Nav device may choose.

True that, at least on a weekday. I can tell you that if you drive the Edens to the Kennedy, between about 6:30 and 9:15 am weekdays you'll hit stop and go traffic on the Edens. If you are coming in Saturday morning you should be fine that early, assuming no construction or special event.

lowjax
April 15th, 2015, 05:50 PM
I'll probably leave around 5:30 or so and hit the edge of Chicago around 6:30. That will put me really early at the hotel, but I hope I can miss most of the traffic.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

TerraNoir
April 23rd, 2015, 06:27 AM
It's almost here you guys!! Super exciting! Just a friendly reminder that the plan is for us to meet at the Anderson's table at about 10AM. If not, you will probably be able to spot me with my brown fedora. Unless there is a chance in the weather.

Soo cold! I can't believe its almost May.

SteveE
April 23rd, 2015, 11:32 AM
Isn't this weather just disgusting? I got caught in a snow squall on the way to work yesterday - just northwest of O'Hare Field.

Oh, well. . . I've seen snow flurries on Memorial Day weekend in Chicago. It could be worse.

dgator
April 23rd, 2015, 12:20 PM
Isn't this weather just disgusting? I got caught in a snow squall on the way to work yesterday - just northwest of O'Hare Field.

Agreed! 18250

TerraNoir
April 23rd, 2015, 01:44 PM
I woke up to snow and hail yesterday. And it was entirely too cold for me this morning. So mad.

TerraNoir
April 23rd, 2015, 08:48 PM
Just a dork of a question, has anyone decided if they are going to the Auction on Friday?

I really want to go, but I don't know if I will be up to do it that day. If it was only on Saturday...if only...if only.

Laura N
April 24th, 2015, 07:13 AM
It would be fun. But Friday night is hard. Also, didn't they say you need the weekend pass? If you go, I'd love to hear a report! What we need is a live stream. :)

Linkdeath
April 24th, 2015, 03:31 PM
*SO* looking forward to this! I'll be the big guy with longish hair, beard and glasses. I've been told I stick out pretty well.

TerraNoir
April 25th, 2015, 06:55 AM
*SO* looking forward to this! I'll be the big guy with longish hair, beard and glasses. I've been told I stick out pretty well.

Well there will be two-ish of you. We have another guy showing up with long hair, beard and glasses. He's the Liam Neeson of the group.

Linkdeath
April 27th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Well there will be two-ish of you. We have another guy showing up with long hair, beard and glasses. He's the Liam Neeson of the group.

That's cool. He can be the Liam Neeson. I have more an "Andre the Giant" build to me...

SteveE
April 27th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Won't be me. I'll be the short, grey-haired dude with glasses. At these shows, I'm kind of invisible. . .

lowjax
April 27th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I'll be the short, no-haired dude with glasses. Probably have a flat cap on as well.

Hawk
April 27th, 2015, 05:34 PM
My wife, daughter and I will attend on Sat. and Sun. My wife is the one with a big Golden Retreiver, I should be close by.... See yall' there.

Laura N
April 27th, 2015, 05:54 PM
I found some photos I took at the 2013 show. If anyone needs convincing to go, I can post a few. ;)

This was one of the Edison cases.

Jon Szanto
April 27th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I want photos from the 2015 show. I want photos of pens, and I want photos of people. Make it look like Chicago was different from every other pen show!

Laura N
April 27th, 2015, 07:30 PM
^^ It's this coming weekend, so alas I have no 2015 show photos. Yet.

However, this very nice fellow brings his ink bottle collection to Chicago every year. He told me he doesn't use fountain pens; he just collects the ink bottles. This photo shows only a small part of his setup; he's got a lot. I'm guessing he doesn't take these bad boys to every show. :)

Jon Szanto
April 27th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Very sweet! Yes, I just meant I hope people document going to the show. Have maximus fun!

TerraNoir
April 29th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Haha! Yes yes! We will have to take a ton of photos. I have opted not to ride to the show so I can bring my camera.

Just a friendly reminder... Anderson's Table at 10 or should we make it 11 for people to get their first walk around the rooms done?? I will be there promptly and wearing that brown fedora, and those who were at our other meeting. You know that opie will not be hard to spot!! Haha!

Laura N
April 29th, 2015, 07:39 AM
See everyone at 10! I can't wait.

lowjax
April 29th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Haha! Yes yes! We will have to take a ton of photos. I have opted not to ride to the show so I can bring my camera.

Just a friendly reminder... Anderson's Table at 10 or should we make it 11 for people to get their first walk around the rooms done?? I will be there promptly and wearing that brown fedora, and those who were at our other meeting. You know that opie will not be hard to spot!! Haha!

Is this at 10:00 on Thursday or Friday? Or Saturday? I was thinking Friday for some reason, but realized no one actually said which day it was. Unless I missed it.

dgator
April 29th, 2015, 11:04 AM

Is this at 10:00 on Thursday or Friday? Or Saturday? I was thinking Friday for some reason, but realized no one actually said which day it was. Unless I missed it.
Saturday 5/2

SteveE
April 29th, 2015, 02:00 PM

Does this mean you're flying? Won't your arms get tired?

{Steve runs out of the room and hides. . . }

I'll be there at 10:00 AM on Saturday. Not sure yet about Sunday.

lowjax
April 29th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Saturday 5/2

Thanks for the info. I guess I don't need to get there so early on Friday. :tea:

TerraNoir
April 30th, 2015, 06:24 AM

Does this mean you're flying? Won't your arms get tired?

{Steve runs out of the room and hides. . . }

I'll be there at 10:00 AM on Saturday. Not sure yet about Sunday.

:pound: That was a good one!! I shall be driving in my car. I'm so so sad. But the weather is making me want to say that I will. Oh why why do saddlebags have to be so small!

I'll be there on Saturday for sure. Sunday... I shall not. I will try to stay at the show as long as possible.

Linkdeath
April 30th, 2015, 07:55 AM
In case anyone is interested, Edison posted a video about what pens they're bringing to the show. Linky-link: https://youtu.be/LQzVe7cm3hA

Laura N
April 30th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Steve, did you ever find the (rumored) free parking?

Linkdeath
April 30th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'd be glad to know beforehand where the free parking is as well.

TerraNoir
April 30th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Ditto. If anyone spots it that would be fantastic. Otherwise I am pretty sure we will hunker down and pay for parking. I do hate having worry or question things. Perhaps Mr. Wooten can field this question soon.

dgator
May 1st, 2015, 08:00 AM
Ditto. If anyone spots it that would be fantastic. Otherwise I am pretty sure we will hunker down and pay for parking. I do hate having worry or question things. Perhaps Mr. Wooten can field this question soon.
Mr. Wooten was kind enough to email me the parking details...

"Easy to find – it is on Zemke and Orchard Place (there is not much back where the hotel is.)"

See everyone tomorrow (Saturday 5/2).

SteveE
May 1st, 2015, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty sure I did. I drove through the area last weekend and there is a multi-level parking structure behind the office building which is just to the south-east of the hotel (across the street). Usually these parking garages, when attached to office buildings housing multiple tenants, are free - so I believe that this is the one.

If you drive past the hotel and look to the east, you can see it.

lowjax
May 1st, 2015, 04:21 PM
Great time here so far. Look forward to meeting you all tomorrow.

Linkdeath
May 1st, 2015, 08:13 PM
I'll be there bright and early in the morning!

lowjax
May 1st, 2015, 08:42 PM
My "haul" from today. Only one pen, but some fun stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/jeffnsarahjax/Shaving/20150501_161637_zpsjoz1aous.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jeffnsarahjax/media/Shaving/20150501_161637_zpsjoz1aous.jpg.html)

I now have a Waterman's Pen. My first one and it writes like a dream. I love it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/jeffnsarahjax/Shaving/20150501_161730_zpswiastl8z.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jeffnsarahjax/media/Shaving/20150501_161730_zpswiastl8z.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/jeffnsarahjax/Shaving/20150501_161836_zpsn7thwsce.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jeffnsarahjax/media/Shaving/20150501_161836_zpsn7thwsce.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/jeffnsarahjax/Shaving/20150501_164518_zpsdp5znnuo.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jeffnsarahjax/media/Shaving/20150501_164518_zpsdp5znnuo.jpg.html)

Again, my phone doesn't do the pictures any sort of justice. It is a light/dark brown mix with some red lines in it. It really jumped out to me today and I'm really loving it.

TerraNoir
May 2nd, 2015, 06:20 AM
Dang!! Nice haul!! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in just a few! Woohoo!:crazy_pilot:

bosipipes
May 2nd, 2015, 09:14 AM
Sitting in the chair outside of the main room. Waiting for the vendors to finish setting up

Linkdeath
May 2nd, 2015, 02:19 PM
Really great to hang out with you guys today! Hopefully can get together before the next show!

lowjax
May 2nd, 2015, 05:52 PM
It was fun meeting you and everyone else as well. It's nice to put some faces and personality to the online names and posts. I look forward to getting together some time down the road with everyone south of the border. Or let me know when y'all are coming up here to Daly's or Anderson's and I'll see if we can meet up there.

SteveE
May 4th, 2015, 07:20 AM
As I said in my other post, I had more fun at this year's show than in any past year. The difference was in meeting all of my friends, both old and new. The hobby is a lot of fun, but the people in the hobby are really what makes it all worth it.

Laura N
May 4th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Really great to hang out with you guys today! Hopefully can get together before the next show!

It was fun meeting you and everyone else as well. It's nice to put some faces and personality to the online names and posts. I look forward to getting together some time down the road with everyone south of the border. Or let me know when y'all are coming up here to Daly's or Anderson's and I'll see if we can meet up there.

As I said in my other post, I had more fun at this year's show than in any past year. The difference was in meeting all of my friends, both old and new. The hobby is a lot of fun, but the people in the hobby are really what makes it all worth it.

Me, too!

TerraNoir
May 4th, 2015, 08:51 PM

Me, too!

It was an awesome pen show this year. Being able to hang out with everyone and meeting everyone. The hobby itself. The pens, inks, paper, and all of that is great. But really for me, its the people behind the pens. Thats what makes this worth it. I just love it. I am looking forward to our next little meeting and I do hope that we can get everyone up to Daly's and Andersons. For sure!

dgator
May 4th, 2015, 09:03 PM

Me, too!

It was an awesome pen show this year. Being able to hang out with everyone and meeting everyone. The hobby itself. The pens, inks, paper, and all of that is great. But really for me, its the people behind the pens. Thats what makes this worth it. I just love it. I am looking forward to our next little meeting and I do hope that we can get everyone up to Daly's and Andersons. For sure!
It was great to meet everyone at the Chicago Pen Show. So nice to have people relatively new to the hobby as well as the seasoned veterans together wandering from table to table. Looking forward to meeting again soon.