PDA

View Full Version : Claytons Pedestrian Crossing

Murfie
April 13th, 2015, 05:57 PM
In the 1970's and 80's there was a non-alcoholic drink branded 'Claytons' that was marketed in Australia as 'The drink you have when you are not having a drink.' The advertising campaign was so extensive that the word 'Claytons' entered the vernacular as an adjective to describe pretence.

So here is a photo of a Claytons pedestrian crossing. It could only happen in Australia. We are getting better and better at making fools of ourselves, being encouraged by our latest Prime Minister's behaviour. Usually, and even here, pedestrian crossings give right of way to the pedestrian, and that is what motorists expect. Though this one is missing the 'official' markings, it is sufficiently defined that many motorists are braking and giving pedestrians right of way. You only need one of them in front of another vehicle that knows it's not an official crossing and guess what happens?

Crazyorange
April 13th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Are sure that's not here in the states? We've got plenty of fools too. ;)

Murfie
April 13th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Are sure that's not here in the states? We've got plenty of fools too. ;)
Nope, definitely here and I think we might just outdo your good selves on the ratio of fools to total head of population. The Dunning-Kruger effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect) seems to explain many of our problems involving poor decision making.

Crazyorange
April 14th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Any cure?

Wile E Coyote
April 14th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Darwin awards.

Bogon07
April 14th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I notice there are rows of tactile surface stripes on either side of the road for the vision impaired !

As well as a thoughtfully placed seat to sit on while you wait for a break in traffic.

Murfie
April 14th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Any cure?
On my reading it's a personality disorder that prevents the sufferer from acknowledging that there is even a problem. Classic case of the person who doesn't know that they don't know something.

Crazyorange
April 14th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Any cure?
On my reading it's a personality disorder that prevents the sufferer from acknowledging that there is even a problem. Classic case of the person who doesn't know that they don't know something.

Well I'm taking a seat on the bench and watching the local village idiot do their thing.

migo984
April 14th, 2015, 07:50 PM
I notice there are rows of tactile surface stripes on either side of the road for the vision impaired !

As well as a thoughtfully placed seat to sit on while you wait for a break in traffic.

Queenscliff is so quiet and peaceful that it's more like sitting on the bench to wait for some traffic to actually turn up! Any traffic at all is almost an excuse for a party Hehe :)

Neo
April 15th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Any cure?

A quote from David Foster Wallace you may like. ... it’s so tempting to do this sort of thing now, to retreat to narrow arrogance, pre-formed positions, rigid filters, the “moral clarity” of the immature.

The alternative is dealing with massive, high-entropy amounts of info and ambiguity and conflict and flux; it’s continually discovering new areas of personal ignorance and delusion. In sum, to really try to be informed and literate today is to feel stupid nearly all the time and to need help.