PDA

View Full Version : Help with old style OMAS Paragon

lowks
April 14th, 2015, 08:45 AM
I bought this OMAS Paragon from nibs.com, and replaced the nib with a newer nib. The problem with this pen is that it has been leaking from day one. The ink collects heavily on the nib as shown in the picture. I have sent the pen back to nibs.com 2 times and have pretty much given up on this as they claim there is nothing they can do about it. Recently in an attempt to fix this problem I sent the pic to another restorer and he thinks that this has something to do with the problem in OMAS barrels as detailed here:

http://www.nibs.com/OmasParagon2005ReEngineered.htm

Is there anywhere else I can send my pen to get repaired ? I really love this pen because aside from this problem it's really one of the best writers that I have.

Attached are the picture of the nib bathed in ink:

tandaina
April 14th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Honestly I would suspect the new nib simply doesn't fit the body properly, hence improper seal, leak. Unless the old nib was shot I can't imagine not wanting an old Omas nib, they are wonderful! If it leaks with the original nib I'd say there is a problem... With the new nib, I'd say go back to the nib it was designed for and see if that solves it.

Laura N
April 14th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Did you replace the nib, or did John Mottishaw do so?

Have you tried other inks?

I have bought pens from John Mottishaw for years, and I think he is an excellent seller with great after-sales service. In addition, the people who work with him are wonderful. Therefore I can't square my experience with your statement that "they claim there is nothing they can do about it." That doesn't sound like the way Nib.com does business, unless there's more to the story. Have you called them and talked to them to get a more full answer?

If the pen is new, and John did the nib work, and it doesn't work to your satisfaction, surely you can just return it and get a different pen? That's what I would do. Call them and talk about your options. Personally, I wouldn't recommend Omas service, but if you want to go that route, maybe you could ask Nibs.com to contact Kenro, the US distributor.

lowks
April 14th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Laura both times I dealt with John personally and he ground and replaced the nib for me

tandaina
April 14th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Omas service is likely to tell you that the wrong nib is installed in the pen, shrug their shoulders and walk away. I would return it at this point. If you want a modern nib (looks like what is installed) I'd just buy a modern pen with nib pre installed, way more likely to work.

Swapping nibs, even within a brand is a crap shoot. Sometimes it works, sometimes... If the folks at Nibs.com say this is the best that can be done I believe them, so if you aren't satisfied with it I'd return it and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Laura N
April 14th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Laura both times I dealt with John personally and he ground and replaced the nib for me

Then I think returning it really is your best option.

Omas service is likely to tell you that the wrong nib is installed in the pen, shrug their shoulders and walk away.

... after it's been in Italy for four months. :)

broadoblique
April 15th, 2015, 12:25 PM
I believe the barrel problem was only with the early version of the new Paragon - the newer, larger version with metal sections. It wouldn't apply to the old style Paragons.

These old styles are fussy about nib/feed fit. If there is not a good snug fit and seal with the nib and feed in the section, too much air can sneak in causing too much ink to flow out. A poor fit between nib and feed will also allow too much air in. Careful installation and perhaps heat setting is called for.

There is also a thin-walled collar (like a bushing) in the section. The feed/nib are friction fit in the collar and the collar is threaded into the section. The two slots seen on the sides at the base of the nib are for wrenching this collar. I've found some of my collars have been cracked through (lengthwise), creating a path for air into the barrel. I've had good luck sealing these cracks with Ron Zorn's (Main Street) resin sealant.

If it were my pen I'd remove the nib and feed and unscrew the collar. Look for cracking or damage. I'd check internal and section seal by testing vacuum with the piston. Seal anything suspicious with the sealant (Ron's resin is heat sensitive and completely reversible) and reassemble with heat setting.

Only once did this not work for me, and that was due to a feed I knew was damaged. That pen works great with an intact feed.

Good luck!
Craig

lowks
April 15th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks ! @broadoblique Is the sealant the one called "Sheaffer-formula thread sealant" ?

broadoblique
April 15th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Yes. I highly recommend it. It's available here (http://www.mainstreetpens.com/stuff.htm).
It becomes almost liquid and very sticky when heated (I put a small amount in the microwave for 10 - 15 seconds) and becomes very stiff and still sticky when cooled.

This sealant is also perfect for those Omas section threads that so often leak.

It's also keeping my TWSBI sections dry and leak free.

lowks
April 20th, 2015, 02:05 AM
The good news is this. Instinctively I pushed the pen plus the nib slightly deeper in and this seems to have solved the problem. The pen writes much drier now and for the first time it's life, there is no pools of ink on the nib of the pen :). Ron did not reply my email btw. Probably busy.