PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ink No. 7

Laura N
April 15th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Dear ink fans,

It is time for another round of Mystery Ink, this one No. 7, hereafter to be known as MI7.

Our theme for MI7 is, of course, the Stanley Cup. The quest for one of the greatest trophies in sports starts tonight, when hockey drops the first puck the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Only 16 NHL teams made the tournament, and after four punishing rounds of best-of-seven games, only one team will survive to lift the Stanley Cup.

Who are those 16 teams this year? Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens, New York Islanders, Winnipeg Jets, Ottawa Senators, Washington Capitols, Nashville Predators, Tampa Bay Lightning, Calgary Flames, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Anaheim Ducks, Vancouver Canucks and St. Louis Blues. Geographically, if you live in North America, you have someone to root for. And if you don’t, you still do, because these teams have players from all around the world. And if your particular country is not represented among the players, well, let’s root for the underdog Ottawa Senators. Or the beloved Chicago Blackhawks. Or the Detroit Red Wings — bearing the winged wheel for their proud city. Or the Rangers! They sport the best regular season record this year. The Canadiens, winners of 24 Stanley Cups. Nashville, the Blackhawks’ first round competitor, with an amazing defense and one of my favorite goalies, the Finn Pekka Rinne. The great thing about the Stanley Cup is all the teams are outstanding, the play is high quality and you sort of wish everyone could win.

Want to know the story behind the Stanley Cup, first awarded in 1893? It’s a good one, starting with an English lord and a silver punch bowl, but it would take too long to tell here. Luckily, one can look at this awesome comic by Molly Brooks (https://thenib.com/meet-the-stanley-cup-704c3c5a39c8), in The Nib. Note that pen-related name, hockey agnostics.

So, MI7. Let’s think of it as a game seven, in a seven-game series. As before, we are looking for five or six volunteers who would be willing to try an unknown ink and post their impressions here, without posting any guesses about the ink’s identity. We think it's fun to try an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be. In fact, to preserve the mystery, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every last recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it. So we also ask people not to write guesses about the ink’s name directly in the thread.

If you’d like to lace up the skates and throw your inky helmet on the ice, please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI7. And if it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps us pick a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times. Please volunteer only if you have time to use or test the ink right away, and if you are willing to post in the thread about your impressions. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic about ink, and about posting.

People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in MI. If we have more than six who want to volunteer, participants will be chosen randomly.

Here is the real Stanley Cup.

Here is one made of bacon. Yum, bacon.

akapulko2020
April 15th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Are people that know zilch about hockey allowed to participate? [emoji13]

If so, I would love to be in. I love trying out new to me inks!

Alec_J
April 15th, 2015, 02:51 PM
I'd love to be in again! But bacon... Yuk! The Blues!!

Laura N
April 15th, 2015, 03:08 PM

Of course! I'll put you down as rooting for all the teams. :)

akapulko2020
April 15th, 2015, 03:14 PM

Unless there are any Israeli( probably not) or Belarus ( quite likely ) players on one of the teams, then I'd have to go with current /past loyalties... [emoji41]

Laura N
April 15th, 2015, 03:14 PM

If I didn't know you better, I'd think you were saying "Yuk! The Blues," which makes some sense....

Kidding! All are welcome, especially hockey fans. The Blues are I think favored to win it all.

Laura N
April 15th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Unless there are any Israeli( probably not) or Belarus ( quite likely ) players on one of the teams, then I'd have to go with current /past loyalties... [emoji41]

I don't think any from Israel currently play in the NHL. There have been many from Belarus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Belarusian_ice_hockey_players). Two used to play for the Canadians and the Predators (brothers). But, I think you'll be happiest rooting for the Blackhawks. :)

Jon Szanto
April 15th, 2015, 03:22 PM
This isn't even passive-aggressive anymore, this is aggressive-aggressive. I can't imagine why Laura is doing this to me.

BCDDiggler
April 15th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Alberta Canada

This seems like a fun way to get more involved with FPG and to increase my exposure to assorted inks.

inlovewithjournals
April 15th, 2015, 03:48 PM
This is not an entry but I just wanted to say...Go Flames (because I live in Calgary) and Go Rangers and Canadiens (because my great uncle, Phil Watson, helped to win two Stanley Cups for those teams, in 1940 and 1944 respectively). Having a hard time deciding on which jersey to buy :)

Laura N
April 15th, 2015, 03:57 PM
This is not an entry but I just wanted to say...Go Flames (because I live in Calgary) and Go Rangers and Canadiens (because my great uncle, Phil Watson, helped to win two Stanley Cups for those teams, in 1940 and 1944 respectively). Having a hard time deciding on which jersey to buy :)

Awesome! I have a Rangers hat (stolen from my son) but I'd definitely go for the Habs jersey. Love that team. They have our old goaltending coach!

Okay, to be fair, I love (almost) all the teams. And the other two I like okay. :)

Why no entry?

Laura N
April 15th, 2015, 03:58 PM
This isn't even passive-aggressive anymore, this is aggressive-aggressive. I can't imagine why Laura is doing this to me.

It starts tonight! Like I could just ignore that? I mean, it's the Cup!

Jon Szanto
April 15th, 2015, 04:04 PM

It starts tonight! Like I could just ignore that? I mean, it's the Cup!

I thought they wear those things in Little League?

Cob
April 15th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Hullo Laura.

Today I received a bottle of Sheaffer's Permanent Red - it's one of four bottles simply because I want that little ink-well. That permanent red is the REDDEST thing I ever seen. Unbelievable. If you have a space on your list and a soothing mystery ink then I'd like to have another go.

Rgds

Cob

BCDDiggler
April 15th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Flames.

ilangai
April 15th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Sadly (or not), this time i'll be out of the country for few weeks, so i won't be able to participate..
But that won't stop me from following this thread, and maybe even watch a game or two while in the US.

migo984
April 15th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Not an entry as I think it's nice to spread the fun & see new MI-testers have a go. Anyway, it's just as much fun reading all the reviews & guessing the ink.

(I agree with Laura's post in the MI6 thread that guessing isn't the main point of MI-ing, but if you're not a tester, it's the next best thing & just too tempting to do so) :)

reprieve
April 15th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I'd like to play. I could use some Mystery Ink cheer right about now. It's been such a dreary month full of April showers when all I want are sunny May flowers.

caribbean_skye
April 15th, 2015, 05:24 PM
i would like to play. always love getting/try new ink especially since im on temporary hiatus from buying ink samples. I have always loved watching hockey, the more aggressive the better but dont have a special team that I am cheering for.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 15th, 2015, 05:44 PM
I will volunteer again - New Zealand - but if there are more than 6 willing participants (especially newer people) please remove my name from the list. To those who have not travelled the Mystery Ink Road, it's lots of fun! Have a go!

Never played ice hockey, do watch on the Olympics though don't have a favourite team. Closest I've come to an ice sport was trying curling (yeah, I know) when much hilarity ensued. We have a rink in the city and it does host some international hockey teams. One day I will have to go and see a game live!

Oh and I have seen the film Slapshot a few times. Highly amusing.

Sammyo
April 15th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Please count me in again, my first one was such a blast... Also GO RED WINS!... As I live in Metro Detroit ;)

Sailor Kenshin
April 15th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Oh, come on. It's BACONNNNNN!

I will put my hat in the ring again, because this has been So Much Fun!

naimitsu
April 15th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Woohoo! Go RED WINGS!!!
And if they're not playing, go ANYONE against the Penguins!

So basically, count me in ;)

TerraNoir
April 15th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I would love to throw my hat in the ring!!

Do I really have to say it, Laura?? ( Go Blackhawks! )

Crazyorange
April 15th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Count me in.

I know nothing of hockey. Go Yankees??? ;)

inlovewithjournals
April 15th, 2015, 08:10 PM

Awesome! I have a Rangers hat (stolen from my son) but I'd definitely go for the Habs jersey. Love that team. They have our old goaltending coach!

Okay, to be fair, I love (almost) all the teams. And the other two I like okay. :)

Why no entry?

I just thought I would give new people a try at this fun game. :) I will probably be first in line for MI8.

Jon Szanto
April 15th, 2015, 09:59 PM
I would love to throw my hat in the ring!!

Hocky, home of the Hat Trick.

Xina
April 15th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I see my favorite team didn't make the cut, but "Go Sharks!!!" (I used to live in San Jose.) So, I guess I'll root for the Blackhawks. And I'd love to test MI7! I think I love inks more than the pens, well, maybe not.... but colors and inks are what I love. I've recently bought a few new-to-me pens and I could put them to good use!

Uncle Bud
April 16th, 2015, 03:51 AM
I'd like to be in again too, know nothing about hockey, but MI6 was fun! I'm from Scotland

Chrissy
April 16th, 2015, 05:09 AM
I'm a little late to the party this time, but I would love to throw my hat into the ring and have another go if you will have me. I have done 2 so far. :)

mhguda
April 16th, 2015, 07:01 AM
I'd like another chance at a mystery ink. Know nothing of hockey - I hope that's not a disqualification right there? I'm in Curaçao in the Caribbean. Hockey is not a big sport here.

ustamills
April 16th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Okay, my wife won the NCAA championship in women's hockey two years in a row while playing for University of Minnesota.

Does that qualify me? I'd love to participate!

Laura N
April 16th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Oh. My. Goodness. Last night was epic. A great first four games. I may have had a few mild heart attacks. I definitely didn't get much sleep.

I do love hearing from all the FP hockey fans. Awesome! So far I think we are cheering for the Blackhawks, the Flames, the Red Wings, the Rangers (who are playing the Penguins), and the Blues.

But there is no need to be a hockey fan to enter MI7. Everyone is welcome. I just like a theme. :)

In fact, it's also excellent to have hockey novices. It lets me categorize all the non-aligned or non-fans in the Blackhawks' column. (Because I'm from Chicago. We have a long tradition of manipulating elections. It's not gonna stop here.)

Laura N
April 16th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Okay, my wife won the NCAA championship in women's hockey two years in a row while playing for University of Minnesota.

They just won again this year, too! That is a storied program.

naimitsu
April 16th, 2015, 09:57 AM
I do love hearing from all the FP hockey fans. Awesome! So far I think we are cheering for the Blackhawks, the Flames, the Red Wings, the Rangers (who are playing the Penguins), and the Blues

I should probably also add anyone playing against the Anaheim Mighty Ducks... or is it the "Los Angeles" Ducks of Anaheim now days? (even though anyone older than a Millennial knows that the team was started by Disney and named after the movie)
I grew up in LA, so basically we don't like any Anaheim sports teams ;)

Alec_J
April 16th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Oh, come on. It's BACONNNNNN!

I will put my hat in the ring again, because this has been So Much Fun!

I will quote Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction "Bacon may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know cuz I wont eat the filthy ... " lol! Just kidding! You guys eat it all up! You can have my portion even! I'm just not a pork fan. But the StL Blues on the other hand! I may be the only Blues fan here???

elaineb
April 16th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Hi Laura, I am from Boston and I remember the Boston Bruins from my childhood with Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito and their epic Stanley wins. But that's about all I remember about hockey, sad to say. Nonetheless, I would love to get a chance to do a mystery ink this time around. (This is the third time I've applied... third time's a charm?)

Alec_J
April 16th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Come on Blues.... Not looking good. [emoji15]

Jon Szanto
April 16th, 2015, 11:58 PM
What the hell...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/92/DucksAlternate.svg/1280px-DucksAlternate.svg.png

Crazyorange
April 17th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Quack quack.

Cyber6
April 17th, 2015, 11:49 AM
:fans::fans::cheer2::cheer2: GO CANADA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. :cheer2::cheer2::fans::fans:

... and go Montreal Canadians (cause my son lives in Montreal) !! :cheer2::cheer2:

Not an entry.... but love checking on this thread from time to time... :rockon:

C.

Laura N
April 17th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Hello all. First, please join me in thanking Uncle Bud, who gave us a very generous donation for MI. Thank you, Uncle Bud! :cheer2:

We are so happy people have been enjoying this and I assure you it will continue in the future.

For this round, our MI7 recipients, selected by random list generator, are:

akapulko2020
Uncle Bud
Chrissy
Sammyo
Xina
elaineb (indeed the third time was the charm!)

So, if I don't have your address, can you please PM me with address and email? That would be everyone on that list but Chrissy. :)

Plus! It turns out that I have enough ink for exactly one more recipient. Elaineb would have been that person, because she missed out twice before, but she was randomly selected. So I am going to send the last vial to Cob. When I picked this ink for MI7, I thought of him.

I'm so sorry I can't send a sample to everyone, but more rounds will follow. If my memory is correct, mhguda will be our three times the charm person for MI8.

So, what I do is make two lists, one for US volunteers, one for non-US, and I take the first three from each list. Apologizing for all misspellings, here are today's lists:

Crazyorange
April 17th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Thank you uncle bud for keeping the mi going!!!

Empty_of_Clouds
April 17th, 2015, 05:42 PM
S'funny, I thought I'd put my name on the list? :noidea:

Then I noticed - post #20 - that I'd said to take it off if there were more than 6 new entries. :facepalm: I guess that explains it.

No worries. I look forward to hearing/seeing what the lucky contestants think of this one.

Jon Szanto
April 17th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Uncle Bud gets a Gold Star!

mhguda
April 17th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Go team MI7!

Laura N
April 17th, 2015, 06:18 PM
S'funny, I thought I'd put my name on the list? :noidea:

Then I noticed - post #20 - that I'd said to take it off if there were more than 6 new entries. :facepalm: I guess that explains it.

No worries. I look forward to hearing/seeing what the lucky contestants think of this one.

Actually, I had sent you a PM saying just that! I guess you didn't see it. :)

I'm very glad you brought that up, though, because this is the first time I managed to figure out how to screen shot the lists, so I probably confused a bunch of folks. Sorry!

Lots of people enter MI provisionally, as you did, graciously offering to let newbies have the next turn. And so I follow their wishes and don't put their names on the list if there turn out to be more volunteers than ink.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 17th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Got to love it! I posted in the thread my confusion and realisation of what must have happened before I noticed the message. Gave me a bit of a laugh really.

I'm having one of those mornings I guess. :crazy_pilot:

As for graciousness; that is a word that has no business being applied to someone like me. :)

Alec_J
April 17th, 2015, 08:28 PM
A big thank you to uncle bud!! This is such a fun endeavor for everyone. Congrats to the MI7 winners! I can't wait to see the results.

klpeabody
April 17th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Thank you for the generous donation, Uncle Bud! =)

Sammyo
April 17th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Sqeeeeeeeeee! I promise to do my best and enjoy this new MI7 ink. As before I will endeavour to do a group review :)

akapulko2020
April 17th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Yay, what fun! So glad to be in this time :-)

Xina
April 17th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Thank you to Uncle Bud for enabling our ink explorations! And thanks to Laura for doing all the organization and shipping duties. I am so happy to be included in MI7! Now to plan out which pen(s) and paper(s) to use for testing and just how to go about this....

Uncle Bud
April 18th, 2015, 01:15 AM
Thanks to everyone for your kind words, but really it's Karen and Laura that should be getting the thank you. It was their idea (and it was a great one) and it's all their hard work that keeps it going. It is a lot of fun taking part, from the little pang of excitement when the package arrives, to using something that you've never used before, and then posting your thoughts and seeing what others think, it's just fun! I hope others get the same buzz that I got, so a big thank you from me to Karen and Laura. Cheers, Bud

Empty_of_Clouds
April 18th, 2015, 02:06 AM
I'll second that! Was pacing up and down in anticipation of my first MI (#6). It was all new to me and enjoyed it immensely.

Crazyorange
April 18th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Go team Blackhawks and Karen! ;)

Chrissy
April 18th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Oh wow! I made the cut! I'm so pleased. Thank you Laura. :bounce:

And thank you Uncle Bud for your generous contribution :hail:

BCDDiggler
April 18th, 2015, 07:43 AM
... we're all a bunch of enablers.

And I like it!

elaineb
April 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Oh, I am so excited! Thank you, folks, for including me in this round. I am cleaning out pens and setting them aside to dry today, in happy anticipation. Quick question: roughly how much ink comes in a sample? I'm trying to figure out which pens I'll be using with it.

Laura N
April 18th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Quick question: roughly how much ink comes in a sample? I'm trying to figure out which pens I'll be using with it.

It varies, but this one is about 2 ml, which is the size of a Goulet sample. :)

Uncle Bud
April 18th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Oh, I am so excited! Thank you, folks, for including me in this round. I am cleaning out pens and setting them aside to dry today, in happy anticipation. Quick question: roughly how much ink comes in a sample? I'm trying to figure out which pens I'll be using with it.

For MI6, there was easily enough for 1 piston filler and 2 C/C pens. More than enough to have a few doodling days, and write the review, I've still some left in the piston filler. Cheers Bud

Laura N
April 18th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Alright, just a quick update.

I have everyone's address -- thank you so much for that! The non-US samples went out today. US samples will be mailed next week, because they arrive much more quickly.

And while we are waiting for MI7 to arrive, I have a question that perhaps should go in a different thread but I'll throw it in here. Would people be interested in someday having an iron gall ink installment of MI? If we did that, the mystery and/or guessing aspect would be lessened, since there are far fewer iron gall inks. Instead it would be an opportunity to try iron gall ink for the first time or to try a different iron gall ink. Would that be appealing to enough people?

BCDDiggler
April 18th, 2015, 12:09 PM
I don't have a pen that is iron gall friendly? Wouldn't volunteer.
But I'd still be interested in it.

Uncle Bud
April 18th, 2015, 12:46 PM

I have everyone's address -- thank you so much for that! The non-US samples went out today. US samples will be mailed next week, because they arrive much more quickly.

And while we are waiting for MI7 to arrive, I have a question that perhaps should go in a different thread but I'll throw it in here. Would people be interested in someday having an iron gall ink installment of MI? If we did that, the mystery and/or guessing aspect would be lessened, since there are far fewer iron gall inks. Instead it would be an opportunity to try iron gall ink for the first time or to try a different iron gall ink. Would that be appealing to enough people?

Yeah, I'd be interested I've on,y ever tried one.

Uncle Bud
April 18th, 2015, 12:53 PM
I don't have a pen that is iron gall friendly? Wouldn't volunteer.
But I'd still be interested in it.

I've tried it in all sorts of pens, as long as you don't leave it in the pens for a long while, and clean it out well, you shouldn't have any problems. Use it in a pen you can remove the nib and feed, like a Safari or Al-Star to clean them well, and you should be fine.. Cheers Bud.

P.S. I wouldn't use it in a pen with a sac though.

elaineb
April 18th, 2015, 01:16 PM
^^

And I think that the main problem with iron gall is acidity. If you flush a pen out with a bit of ammonia/water (or any of the commercial pen flush solutions) you'll neutralize the acidity and any danger associated with it. No need to fear these inks.

Cob
April 18th, 2015, 01:30 PM

Laura, I love Iron Gall inks! ANy time please!

Rgds

Cob

Empty_of_Clouds
April 18th, 2015, 01:57 PM
I've only tried one iron gall ink, but it was one of the safer modern versions. At times I've been toying with the idea of getting some others... but, just not sure yet. Certainly an MI IG would be interesting and acceptable I think.

Alec_J
April 18th, 2015, 07:00 PM
As I am completely new to this world I have not yet tried an iron gall, but I am quite curious. I would jump at the opportunity!

mhguda
April 18th, 2015, 07:38 PM
I'd love them - I have some experience with them, from the old formulation of MB Midnight Blue to one from China (Hero 232) and I really like them. I'd like to play with an unknown one & put it through its paces... and I do have some pens that can take it and be cleaned easily afterward.

Sammyo
April 18th, 2015, 08:41 PM

Ok, so here is my super top secret, secret... you have to promise not to tell anybody else... this is just between you and me!

I use a fine eye dropper to saturate the feed with three or four drops... this will give you a whole lot of writing and you will be able to try the ink in a lot of pens ;)

But like I said, that's just between you and me ;)

Cob
April 19th, 2015, 01:19 AM
Hello all. First, please join me in thanking Uncle Bud, who gave us a very generous donation for MI. Thank you, Uncle Bud! :cheer2:

We are so happy people have been enjoying this and I assure you it will continue in the future.

For this round, our MI7 recipients, selected by random list generator, are:

akapulko2020
Uncle Bud
Chrissy
Sammyo
Xina
elaineb (indeed the third time was the charm!)

So, if I don't have your address, can you please PM me with address and email? That would be everyone on that list but Chrissy. :)

Plus! It turns out that I have enough ink for exactly one more recipient. Elaineb would have been that person, because she missed out twice before, but she was randomly selected. So I am going to send the last vial to Cob. When I picked this ink for MI7, I thought of him.

I'm so sorry I can't send a sample to everyone, but more rounds will follow. If my memory is correct, mhguda will be our three times the charm person for MI8.

So, what I do is make two lists, one for US volunteers, one for non-US, and I take the first three from each list. Apologizing for all misspellings, here are today's lists:

Thanks very much Laura - sorry for the late response, I have been rather occupé over the last few days.

And very touched that you "thought of me"!

Rgds

Cob

Chrissy
April 19th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I would be slightly worried about trying an iron gall ink in one of my piston fillers, but that wouldn't stop me from buying one if it was a colour I wanted.

Laura N
April 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM
Incoming! MI samples are all in the mail. I think they should start arriving Thursday or Friday.

Sammyo
April 24th, 2015, 01:46 AM
Incoming! MI samples are all in the mail. I think they should start arriving Thursday or Friday.

Woo hop! Thank you for the update :)

Cob
April 24th, 2015, 05:43 AM
My MI7 arrived today Laura, many thanks.

I'll get on to it ASAP.

Rgds

Cob

akapulko2020
April 24th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Awaiting mine patiently [emoji56]

Or maybe, not so patiently [emoji102]

Uncle Bud
April 24th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Hi Laura,

MI7 arrived safe and sound today. I'll use it the next couple of days and post back.

Cheers,

Bud.

Chrissy
April 26th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Yesterday I had 2 accidents. I was doing a review of J Herbin Terre de Feu from a new 10ml sample bottle, and as I placed my Lamy Nexx M into the neck of the bottle to fill it, it dropped down into the bottle and ink overflowed out like a volcano. So I had a lot of cleaning up to do. Immediately before this, I had been upstairs to retrieve my box of inks that I'm reviewing, and I fell down the last 2 steps of the stairs as I slipped off the edge of the riser. Fortunately, I landed on a part of my anatomy that has some padding. :) but I also banged my back that put me out of action for the rest of the day. Then my ink sample arrived with the postman, so I instantly felt a bit better :)

Today is my birthday, so as we have already had our celebratory meal out, I decided to get on with ink reviews. We have just cracked open a bottle of Lanson Black Label so cheers. :cheers:

I would call MI7 grey. I was convinced it was grey. Then I wondered if the manufacturer might think it's black. So instead of calling it 'definitely grey', I have changed that to 'black or grey'. It's almost waterproof. Although it seems to flow quite wet and lubricates well, it still feels very slightly chalky: I get more feedback from my pen with this than with other inks.

As I mention in my review, it leaves no residue on the tube when you agitate it. I know of only 2 ink brands that I have that do this.:) I'm a bit 'meh' with grey or black inks. I believe that as there is colour, it should be used. :)

Here is my review form:

Crazyorange
April 26th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Happy birthday Chrissy. Glad to hear your fall didn't injure anything to badly. Great review as always.

Sailor Kenshin
April 26th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Innnteresting. I think I see shading as well, especially in the swab passes.

Thanks for the review, and I hope you're feeling better!

inlovewithjournals
April 26th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Gosh Chrissy, hope you are feeling better! And Happy Birthday! Thanks so much for the ink review. I thought this one might be black; as soon as I read the theme was hockey related I thought of that black puck. :)

Crazyorange
April 26th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Gosh Chrissy, hope you are feeling better! And Happy Birthday! Thanks so much for the ink review. I thought this one might be black; as soon as I read the theme was hockey related I thought of that black puck. :)

You are so good. I didn't think of that and yet it's so obvious.

Jon Szanto
April 26th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Of note:

1. Chrissy, I hope you feel better soon!
2. I also hope you are having a wonderful birthday... or had... you know. <3
3. What the puck?

mhguda
April 26th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Happy birthday Chrissy, sorry to hear about your accidents, but glad you described the pen mishap first, obviously the other was not too bad and hopefully you will feel better soon...
Always a nice thing when a package arrival coincides with a birthday, isn't it? Enjoy the day, enjoy the ink sample, and your pens of course!

Chrissy
April 26th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Doh! I never thought of that. Maybe I banged my head as well and didn't notice?

Thank you all so much for the kind words, I'm feeling much better. :)

tandaina
April 26th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Doh! I never thought of that. Maybe I banged my head as well and didn't notice?

Thank you all so much for the kind words, I'm feeling much better. :)

Either way I *love* your comment that the ink is grey but it's maker might think it is black. ;) Tickled my funny bone.

Laura N
April 26th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I thought this one might be black; as soon as I read the theme was hockey related I thought of that black puck. :)

Ah, ouch, well.... That shows a touching faith in MI that, alas, I am going to puncture. The theme for the sign-up only relates to whatever thoughts are passing through my little brain at the time the thread starts. So MI5 was "Peace, Love and Understanding," well, because I thought we needed it. And MI6 was "Terra Australis " because I wondered if we could find a participant from Antarctica. And MI7 is the Stanley Cup because ohmygoshtheStanleyCupstartedthatday.

Sorry! :cry:

However, I'm very happy that MI7 would remind someone of hockey. :)

Shirley
April 26th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Ooh yes, definitely! I would love to play...always up for some new ink! I live in Idaho, and don't have a team to root for, but I do like Canada, so I'll go for the Vancouver Canucks.

BCDDiggler
April 26th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Aaaand - they're out...

Go Flames Go!!! :D

Crazyorange
April 26th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Which team has the cutest guys?

Laura N
April 26th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Aaaand - they're out...

The C of Red was amazing yesterday! If the Flames would dispatch the Ducks, I'd be very grateful.

Laura N
April 26th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Which team has the cutest guys?

Blackhawks. Except the Rangers have the most handsome goalie.

But, still, you are rooting for the Blackhawks. :fans:

inlovewithjournals
April 26th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I thought this one might be black; as soon as I read the theme was hockey related I thought of that black puck. :)

Ah, ouch, well.... That shows a touching faith in MI that, alas, I am going to puncture. The theme for the sign-up only relates to whatever thoughts are passing through my little brain at the time the thread starts. So MI5 was "Peace, Love and Understanding," well, because I thought we needed it. And MI6 was "Terra Australis " because I wondered if we could find a participant from Antarctica. And MI7 is the Stanley Cup because ohmygoshtheStanleyCupstartedthatday.

Sorry! :cry:

However, I'm very happy that MI7 would remind someone of hockey. :)

Don't apologize! Whatever the plan behind the theme (or lack thereof) this is still the most fun game in town. Including hockey! :thumb:

naimitsu
April 27th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Aaaand - they're out...

The C of Red was amazing yesterday! If the Flames would dispatch the Ducks, I'd be very grateful.

Oh goodie, another anti-Ducker!
GO ANYONE PLAYING THE DUCKS!!! ;)

Unless it's the Penguins... then go ducks!

Cob
April 27th, 2015, 11:11 AM
I cannot comment on hockey I'm afraid; the only sports I follow are F1 and Snooker.

Meanwhile back to MI7. Here's my effort, a scan. I rather like this ink - more than anything for its attractive shading. The problem I have with these trials is choosing a pen. This time I filled one pen; I think filling is important in assessing an ink's qualities, though of course writing is the key element, so I dipped two other pens and used them for short notes at the end.

Cob

migo984
April 27th, 2015, 11:41 AM
I cannot comment on hockey I'm afraid; the only sports I follow are F1 and Snooker.

Meanwhile back to MI7. Here's my effort, a scan. I rather like this ink - more than anything for its attractive shading. The problem I have with these trials is choosing a pen. This time I filled one pen; I think filling is important in assessing an ink's qualities, though of course writing is the key element, so I dipped two other pens and used them for short notes at the end.

Cob

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18412&stc=1

Interesting. I have a few grey and black/grey inks but I'm not at all sure about this one yet. It looks really nice from that SM100/60 #1, Cob. You always have nibs with something a bit "different". I hope you're saving one or two for when I get back. I'll have some pocket-money to spend by then :)

Uncle Bud
April 27th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Well this is a weird one and I haven't a Scooby Doo what it could be, so not even a wrong guess from me this time.

This is a grey ink, with a faint hint of violet. I found this to be a quite dry ink, and I did experience a couple of hard starts with this one. it offers really nice shading, and would suit a nice flex or stub nib.

The ink behaves well on all types of paper, and there was no bleed or showthrough on all the papers I used from cheap copy paper at work, to my usual Black n' Red notebooks I usually use. I actually really like this ink, it is quite dark when pooling in juicy nibs, but can also appear very light when you have a good shading nib. there is also very little feathering with this one.

The water test I did with this also shows it to be quite water resistant, there was a little saturation loss, but the grid can be very clearly seen after the test, which is also quite good.

All in all, a very nice grey, that can be used for both business and personal use without any problems. It is not one of those washed out greys that can hardly be read when it is on the paper, and has a good amount of contrast on both cream and white paper. I have used this over the last coupe of days with only the occasional hard start, which doesn't usually happen with the True Writer.

If grey is your thing, I'd give this a try once we all find out what it is.

Hope this was useful.

Cheers,

Bud.

Cob
April 27th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Cob

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18412&stc=1

Interesting. I have a few grey and black/grey inks but I'm not at all sure about this one yet. It looks really nice from that SM100/60 #1, Cob. You always have nibs with something a bit "different". I hope you're saving one or two for when I get back. I'll have some pocket-money to spend by then :)

A lady with pocket money?

I must have died and gone to heaven!

The SM100/60 is actually up on eBay now - ends Sunday.

Cob

Sammyo
April 27th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Still waiting for mine to arrive... getting nervous now :(

Sammyo
April 27th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Great reviews do far though :)

Laura N
April 27th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Still waiting for mine to arrive... getting nervous now :(

Yours was due Friday. I hope you are kidding. :)

ETA: Because if not, I'm gonna get nervous. :)

Xina
April 28th, 2015, 12:46 AM
MI7 arrived in Cincinnati safe and sound today, Monday! Will start testing it on Tuesday. I already like it, as I somehow began loving all things grey this past winter. Grey yarns. Grey inks. Grey pens. Go Greyhawks, er, Blackhawks!

BCDDiggler
April 28th, 2015, 07:23 AM
I must have missed it but where is everyone getting the sample ink review template from?!
Tried a forum search; no results.

:D

Cob
April 28th, 2015, 07:51 AM
I must have missed it but where is everyone getting the sample ink review template from?!

It comes from FPN - I think Chrissy has the link - I have lost it! PM me and I'll email you - it's a PDF.

Cob

Chrissy
April 28th, 2015, 09:28 AM

I now have it as a Jpeg. I found the PDF was very faint, so I redid it as a Jpeg. I will try to PM you a copy if I can.

migo984
April 28th, 2015, 10:46 AM

I expect I'll be in a minority of 1, and will be shot down in flames, but whilst I understand the reasons for using the FPN Ink Review Form, I can't help but find those written on these forms, (with my apologies), just rather dull**. There are literally hundreds of reviews on those forms on FPN, and they all start to look the same. They remind me of those science experiment exercise books from school, with pre-printed headings. It could be the world's most exciting, whizz-bang experiment but those proformas took all the pizzaz and fun out of doing the experiment & its effects. Yes, the FPN form allows you to be consistent, but they make inks all look kind of boring, or utilitarian (which I acknowledge some people seek).

Reviews that show personality or creativity, like CrazyOrange's Pentangles or Crypto's sketches of previous MIs, for example, that put the ink through it's paces, now they get noticed and are appreciated. They make the ink "sing". There's a guy that does the most beautiful, yet methodical reviews that are totally visually inspiring, and Sandy's reviews on FPN are famous for their humour and wit. Sometimes just writing out a favourite poem in a good pen on great paper is all it takes to review an ink. I guess I just like original and quirky.

As I said, I'm guessing most will disagree with me, and I understand why those forms are copied and used, but I just wanted to plead for continued creativity and variety in ink reviews.

With additional apologies for my verbosity:rant:

** of course! you could write a shopping list with Cob's fab #1 Swan flexy nib and it would still make the ink look good.

Cob
April 28th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Oh dear Migo!

I don't feel very creative... I cannot draw like 00Photo, and I wouldn't dream of submitting my Frankenscript to the experts in the calligraphy section. What can one do?

Perhaps I shall return to copying out poetry, the history of Mabie Todd & Co., or bits of favourite novels.

Forms are a great help to non-creatives!

Rgds

Cob

migo984
April 28th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Oh dear Migo!

I don't feel very creative... I cannot draw like 00Photo, and I wouldn't dream of submitting my Frankenscript to the experts in the calligraphy section. What can one do?

Perhaps I shall return to copying out poetry, the history of Mabie Todd & Co., or bits of favourite novels.

Forms are a great help to non-creatives!

Rgds

Cob

Oh I know why the forms are helpful Cob, but I actually truly believe that everyone is creative. It just takes different forms. I also know that most won't agree with me on the use of the templates.

I'd actually really appreciate more hand-written poetry, literature and history lessons using beautiful (or otherwise!) inks :)

Empty_of_Clouds
April 28th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I absolutely agree with Marie, with the corollary that one doesn't need to be skilled only enthusiastic (my children's sketches are a case in point). When I see an ink review on one of the 'official' templates I have to kind of force myself to read through the conformity of it, which is a pity as they often contain a wealth of useful and interesting information.

Bottom line for me is that what I am doing in my hobby should be fun first and foremost.

Sammyo
April 28th, 2015, 02:41 PM
The form also gives a good comparison point. Two reviews in the same style are easier to compare than two randomly created prices of art. So like a science experiment write up, you get compatability, comparability and a common visual display of the results. It may be boring, but it is very useful ;) maybe a bit of both would be good... my last review had a drawing by my 3 1/2 year old daughter :D

Laura N
April 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM
One of the awesome things about MI is that we get such a breadth of perspectives and evaluations by the time everyone is done. It's all good. All are welcome. I know everyone eagerly anticipates and enjoys every contribution, whatever the format. Each person takes time and effort, and that is much appreciated.

I very much appreciate and enjoy the formal review, and I find that format very helpful, because it contains so much that can be overlooked in a more impressionistic or non-formatted review. I also like impressionistic reviews. And drawings! I am so glad we get a little bit of everything. It makes the experience richer.

akapulko2020
April 28th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I *think* my MI7 ink might have arrived at the post office- got a package notice with US tracking number in the postbox today, hope to pick it up tomorrow.... [emoji51] [emoji51] excited

migo984
April 28th, 2015, 03:30 PM
The form also gives a good comparison point. Two reviews in the same style are easier to compare than two randomly created prices of art. So like a science experiment write up, you get compatability, comparability and a common visual display of the results. It may be boring, but it is very useful ;) maybe a bit of both would be good... my last review had a drawing by my 3 1/2 year old daughter :D

Oh I completely get all that and I also agree with Cryptos; some contain useful info. I disagree about usefulness for colour comparisons though, because of the shortcomings of online colour reproduction, an issue that has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere. As I said, I understand the benefits of conformity & standardisation. I guess I've just seen so very many of those forms that my old head & poor memory just can't differentiate between them or recall the ones that might have been about interesting inks. They all become a bit samey. I think it's because of the way I think of & see the beauty of ink - as a creative medium rather than a technical component of writing. I just can't see my way through the template. I can't defend my weird way of looking at things lol. My bad, of course.

ps Cryptos - I hope you're still sketching & drawing. You have a real skill there.

pps Sammyo - I was going to attached the pic of your daughter's drawings as an example of what I really like in an ink review as they were so lovely, and made me remember that review. But it was the early hours here & I fell asleep again :)

Sammyo
April 28th, 2015, 04:20 PM
pps Sammyo - I was going to attached the pic of your daughter's drawings as an example of what I really like in an ink review as they were so lovely, and made me remember that review. But it was the early hours here & I fell asleep again :)

Blush! (o*_*o)

elaineb
April 28th, 2015, 09:50 PM
(Just a warning: my scanner is acting up and seems to be losing its color balance. With an ink this subtle, I have no idea if these pictures will look anything like the ink does in person. My apologies in advance.)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/ebenfatto/MI7_p1.jpg (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/ebenfatto/media/MI7_p1.jpg.html)

MI7 is a neutral grey that looks a bit brown/warmish when it goes down, but then dries into a really nice tone. As a painter, I know that it is actually quite hard to achieve this balance point, as most greys will stray toward the warm or cool side of the color wheel if given half a chance.

An earlier review wondered if it might be a misbegotten black (this was before I got my sample) so as I was playing around with it, I was trying to figure what would give a grey ink a separate identity from a watered-down black. I think this neutral color balance is an important feature. If you dilute any black ink to around 50% water, you'll see that very few of them are actually black -- often they are very deep violet/purples, greens, or blues, or murky mixtures of all of them. To get this a grey took a lot of careful work on the part of the ink designers.

I only filled one pen with MI7, a medium-nib, rather wet Rotring that I selected because it's one of the broadest nibs I own. (Okay, don't laugh. I write small. I like fine nibs.) It had a comfortable feel, very well-behaved, and I could see some nice shading. Reminds me a bit of graphite pencil, except the color is a touch cooler. But the darkness was about the same as a 2B.

It looked unexpectedly nice in one of my extra-fine nibs, which I wasn't expecting at all. It's dark enough to be completely legible, and while there was no real notable shading, it looked crisp and easy on the eyes. I managed to find a vintage pen with a broad nib (non-functioning, I just dipped the nib) and found that as the line got broader, it looked more like a light black ink than a grey. I wasn't sure I liked the effect. Or perhaps I just don't like my handwriting with broad nibs :)

Then I dug out my flex pens to try. The first was a Moore safety pen with a very delicate nib. MI7 looked GREAT with it. It's hard to see in the scan, but the hairlines are crisp but very light, due to the grey tones of the ink, and it creates a very nice contrast with the heavier downstrokes. Trust me, it looks nicer in person than it did in the scan. Kind of a classic Spencerian aesthetic. Then I got out my wet noodle and tried very broad writing. Here again, I found the ink less interesting because in such broad, wet writing, it looks like a watered-down black, not an intentional grey.

After working on white paper, I thought to try some ivory, to see the interaction between the ink and paper colors.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/ebenfatto/MI7_p2.jpg (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/ebenfatto/media/MI7_p2.jpg.html)

I have to say, I like this ink much better on the ivory. The fine vintage flex pen looked particularly nice, and the broader writing seemed to retain more of its "grey and not black" characteristics.

On the ivory paper (which is some drawing paper I had lying around) the ink bled a little when I brushed it with water. This made some very lovely light greys that would be very useful if doing ink sketching. Unfortunately (for me, though probably not for most of you) it didn't budge at all when I wet sections of the white paper.

So, in summary, MI7 is an interesting ink. It behaved well in the pen while writing, and had some good shading characteristics. It is easy to read, and looks especially nice on non-white papers. Would I buy a bottle of this for myself? I'm not sure. I haven't really been interested in grey inks, but I could see this being used for personal writing or correspondence, when black would just feel too formal. That said, it's entirely appropriate for stuffy corporate environments, and it'll be your private delight to appreciate just how nice and pearly this grey is, when everyone else will just consider it black.

Empty_of_Clouds
April 28th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Ooh, I like that colour. Can't wait to find out what it is <hops from one foot to the other and back again>

And elaineb, you're writing is very attractive.:D

migo984
April 28th, 2015, 11:16 PM
That's a great review elaineb. Extremely useful & informative, and I am most envious of your writing ability :-) :thumb:
Your review has really helped me narrow it down, to 1 of 3 "suspects" :)

akapulko2020
April 29th, 2015, 03:06 AM
I *think* my MI7 ink might have arrived at the post office- got a package notice with US tracking number in the postbox today, hope to pick it up tomorrow.... [emoji51] [emoji51] excited
Alas,it was not.

Crazyorange
April 29th, 2015, 06:08 AM
That's a great review elaineb. Extremely useful & informative, and I am most envious of your writing ability :-) :thumb:
Your review has really helped me narrow it down, to 1 of 3 "suspects" :)

Which three? Black? Black gray? Or black? ;)

Laura N
April 29th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Alas,it was not.

USPS tracking says "attempted delivery April 29." So ... soon! :angel:

akapulko2020
April 30th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Alas,it was not.

USPS tracking says "attempted delivery April 29." So ... soon! :angel:
Received today [emoji322] [emoji322]

akapulko2020
April 30th, 2015, 12:56 PM
This is such a lovely grey ink...blackish gray. With a hint of purple which I can see only when looking on specific angle. Gorgeous color!
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/30/8e03072097f4cf62a9a300b90f67648e.jpg

So : doodles. Then some Hebrew letters. But my automatic response when using a new fountain pen/ trying an ink is apparently to write the Russian alphabet in cursive. Which is probably not all that weird seeing as it's my mother tongue... [emoji4]

Neo
April 30th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Спасибо!

akapulko2020
April 30th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Спасибо!
И Вам спасибо [emoji6]

Sammyo
April 30th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Oh when will mine arrive?!?! :(
Thank you to LauraN for following up with USPS, hopefully I will get it before the weekend and have time to play with it :D

Laura N
April 30th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Oh when will mine arrive?!?! :(
Thank you to LauraN for following up with USPS, hopefully I will get it before the weekend and have time to play with it :D

Still not there????!!!! It's becoming clear that USPS has strapped the envelope containing the last MI7 sample to the shell of a turtle walking from Chicago to Detroit. But they can't discourage you and me. Am I right? We will not give up hope.

When we were talking about the tardy package, I joked to the nice person at the post office that I could have driven it there in five hours. But he had a sensible reply: "Aren't you glad you didn't have to?" I thought that was a good point. :)

Sammyo
April 30th, 2015, 06:12 PM
When we were talking about the tardy package, I joked to the nice person at the post office that I could have driven it there in five hours. But he had a sensible reply: "Aren't you glad you didn't have to?" I thought that was a good point. :)

What awonderful response!

I am waiting patiently... No, really I am! I haven't cried at all... With every review that gets submitted... sniffle...

Crazyorange
April 30th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Maybe the sample is out playing hockey?

Laura N
April 30th, 2015, 07:00 PM

Great point! The second round of the Stanley Cup begins for our beloved Blackhawks tomorrow, and while I was saving this till then, I'll post it early, since you reminded me.

Ahem. Just for you, Crazyorange, here is Patrick Sharp, popping by MI to say hi, and thanks for being a Blackhawks fan.

Crazyorange
April 30th, 2015, 07:05 PM

Great point! The second round of the Stanley Cup begins for our beloved Blackhawks tomorrow, and while I was saving this till then, I'll post it early, since you reminded me.

Ahem. Just for you, Crazyorange, here is Patrick Sharp, popping by MI to say hi, and thanks for being a Blackhawks fan.

Oooohhhhhh......next best thing to fountain pens.....a really, really cute guy. Ok, I'm sold. I'm a Blackhawks fan. Go Patrick! Well, if I was a black ink sample...I would ditch Detroit... head over to mr cute Patrick and watch him play. I can see that sample sitting in the stands right now!

Laura N
April 30th, 2015, 07:14 PM
The question for our MI7 ink testers is, does it match his eyes? :)

elaineb
April 30th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Nope. The ink is a bit darker. :)

Sammyo
May 1st, 2015, 05:19 PM
The turtle has finally arrived! I will put some in a pen and play with it over the weekend and on Monday we will do the group review. Bear with me people, I'm a bit behind schedule but will endeavour to get everything up ASAP so as not to delay the big reveal any longer than necessary :)

Laura N
May 1st, 2015, 05:41 PM
The turtle has finally arrived! I will put some in a pen and play with it over the weekend and on Monday we will do the group review. Bear with me people, I'm a bit behind schedule but will endeavour to get everything up ASAP so as not to delay the big reveal any longer than necessary :)

It's a Stanley Cup miracle!

Crazyorange
May 1st, 2015, 07:28 PM
I think someone should draw a hockey puck in MI7 for our hockey fans!

Sammyo
May 1st, 2015, 09:30 PM
My super fast, five minute review. Completely reactionary, no thought (no change there then!) and off the cuff. I wanted to get something out there as the ink was so delayed getting to me... those darn mail snails!

Monday will be the big test and group review, I really can't wait. More people, more pens, more beer, more fun :)

akapulko2020
May 2nd, 2015, 01:53 AM

Oooohhhhhh......next best thing to fountain pens.....a really, really cute guy. Ok, I'm sold. I'm a Blackhawks fan. Go Patrick! Well, if I was a black ink sample...I would ditch Detroit... head over to mr cute Patrick and watch him play. I can see that sample sitting in the stands right now!
I'm getting VERY interested in hockey all of the sudden...[emoji51] What team does this ..er...distinguished looking individual play for ?

Crazyorange
May 2nd, 2015, 03:32 AM
My super fast, five minute review. Completely reactionary, no thought (no change there then!) and off the cuff. I wanted to get something out there as the ink was so delayed getting to me... those darn mail snails!

Monday will be the big test and group review, I really can't wait. More people, more pens, more beer, more fun :)

Hurray a hockey puck for Laura! Great job sammyo.

Crazyorange
May 2nd, 2015, 03:34 AM

I'm getting VERY interested in hockey all of the sudden...[emoji51] What team does this ..er...distinguished looking individual play for ?

It's Laura's favorite team....Blackhawks. No wonder she goes to the games....eye candy.

akapulko2020
May 2nd, 2015, 03:38 AM
Riiiight, Blackhawks! I believe Laura suggested them to me following my request for players from either Israel or Belarus! So I think I've been a fan for at least some weeks now [emoji41]

migo984
May 5th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Anything happening here :confused:

Cob
May 5th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Anything happening here :confused:

Hockey?

C.

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 12:48 PM
OK, so here we go, the second GKN pen posse, mystery ink get together happened yesterday... this is what we thought...

We put the ink into three pens:
TWSBI Mini - Medium (Western style) nib
Monteverde Impressa - 1.1 Goulet stub nib
Pilot Metropolitan - Medium (Eastern style) nib

Everybody seemed to like this ink, it had some issues but was in general a nice colour... for a grey ;)
I think that we all agreed with previous comments, that the ink felt a little dry. This gave a feeling of "feedback" to the ink which, depending which side of the fence you fall is good or bad. But none of us thought "this is unusable!", to the contrary, we all thought that it wrote very well. The dryness was somewhat offset by the flow that the ink had, because it flowed very well, the "dryness" was far less noticeable. There was some shading, but not a huge amount, just enough to hit the "this looks a bit special" feeling as opposed to the flat, disappearing into nothingness of some greys. The ink did however spread or feather on most papers we tried. I believe I am correct in saying that only the Apica and the Tomoe River did not do either. Cheap/copy paper both were bad; on Rhodia and Clairefontaine paper there was spread but no feathering (please feel free to correct me if I got that wrong Naimtsu). On fountain pen friendly paper this ink took a long time to dry, 20 seconds plus depending on the paper (Tomoe River took forever... not a real shock though!). But once it is dry it is not going anywhere... this looked almost the same after 20 seconds under a running tap.

To sum up...
Pros:
Waterproof
Nice grey for everyday use
Nice grey for special use
Some shading

Cons:
Takes a long time to dry
Spreads or feathers easily depending on the paper

Group thoughts:
"It looks like running mascara"
"It looks better than black"
"What can you say about grey?!?"
"Odd purple hue in the vial and as it goes down"
"It dries lighter, I like the colour as it goes down"
"This grey reflects the misery of the Red Wings fans, 'cause we can't make it out of the first round!"

Naimtsu, please correct/add anything you want. I am likely to have missed something... there was whiskey and beer involved!!!

Edit: changed "Spreads and feathers" to "Spreads or feathers"

Laura N
May 5th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Awesome group review, thanks!

I think the Red Wings got hosed by the NHL with that Kronwall suspension, but their young guys will be better in next year's playoffs. Also, haven't they made the playoffs the last 24 seasons straight?! And won four Stanley Cups in that span?! That's pretty darn good. :)

Moving on to ink, can I ask what you mean by "spread"? This is my time to learn something new. :)

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Ok, my understanding is that feathering is when you get the "fingers" spreading out from the ink line. Spread is when your line width increases from the line layed down... i.e. you write a line with a fine nib and after a second it looks like a fine plus/medium line.

Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I got the understanding wrong :)

reprieve
May 5th, 2015, 01:33 PM
That's how I would describe it, too. Spread is kind of like feathering but without all of the little spidery bits and tendrils. I don't mind spread, but I DO mind feathering; feathering drives me batty.

Laura N
May 5th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Ah, thank you! I don't think I've (a) ever noticed that with any ink, except with really low-quality paper, or (b) known what that meant before. I've always assumed it meant what happens when the line laid down is wider than it might be with a different ink. For example, MI6, the De Atramentis Aubergine, wrote a very wide line for me. But I knew I must be wrong about whatever "spread" meant, because you classified spread with feathering, which I consider a negative characteristic. A wetter ink I consider just a characteristic.

I'm glad to have learned something today!

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I'd agree that spread is not necessarily a huge negative point, but some people are really fussy about their line widths ;)

But feathering...

Laura N
May 5th, 2015, 02:49 PM
I'd agree that spread is not necessarily a huge negative point, but some people are really fussy about their line widths ;)

But feathering...

Feathering is for the birds. :)

But it seems what you are defining as spread isn't just the line width being wider than usual -- because that is what I see from a lot of wet inks, like MI6, for example. That's what I used to think "spread" meant. But I think you guys are describing something more, which is when the line spreads out after it is first put on the paper and becomes wider. That is something I don't think I've ever even noticed with any ink -- but of course I wasn't looking for it either. And I think I'd expect it as a matter of course with newsprint or very low quality paper; in fact I've seen that using markers on newsprint. But I tend to use most fountain pen inks with Clairefontaine and Rhodia paper.

Anyway, it's all so interesting. I feel I learn something with each MI. :)

Does anyone want to know what the ink is?

migo984
May 5th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Interesting comment from the group review that this ink "spreads and feathers on most papers" tried, other than Apica or Tomoe. That contrasts with an earlier review that said no spread or feathering was observed. Such variations in experiences are just one reason for ink review fallibility & why I strongly believe any review can, and should, be challenged or countered.
YMMV of course.

Cob
May 5th, 2015, 02:56 PM

But feathering...

But it seems what you are defining as spread isn't just the line width being wider than usual -- because that is what I see from a lot of wet inks, like MI6, for example. That's what I used to think "spread" meant. But I think you guys are describing something more, which is when the line spreads out after it is first put on the paper and becomes wider. That is something I don't think I've ever even noticed with any ink -- but of course I wasn't looking for it either. And I think I'd expect it as a matter of course with newsprint or very low quality paper; in fact I've seen that using markers on newsprint. But I tend to use most fountain pen inks with Clairefontaine and Rhodia paper.

I'd love tp know. Following the recent review, and your remarks, I have just written a couple of lines in a Rhodia pad I have. I studied it carefully wearing two pairs of reading glasses to be sure: not a trace of anything: it's as sharp as when I put it down. Please tell us: I am treasuring the last few drops I have!

Cob

akapulko2020
May 5th, 2015, 02:57 PM

Nah... [emoji41]

Did that sound convincing? No? That's because I would LOVE to know what this ink is!

Chrissy
May 5th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Yes please :)

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 03:21 PM
... Following the recent review, and your remarks, I have just written a couple of lines in a Rhodia pad I have. I studied it carefully wearing two pairs of reading glasses to be sure: not a trace of anything: it's as sharp as when I put it down. Please tell us: I am treasuring the last few drops I have!

Cob

It is funny and very perspective based lol. I believe it is unnoticeable until you compare it's properties between papers. If you write on Tomoe River first and then Rhodia you get a very different experience. I am hoping that Naimitsu chimes in as she was there for the review.

I have attached the best picture I can with the tools I have. Hopefully you can see the outline difference and clarity between the Tomoe River (left) and the Rhodia dot pad (right).
Edit: it actually came out better here than I remember from last night :D

Cob
May 5th, 2015, 03:37 PM
That's certainly clear I must say. However I have just examined very closely my earlier samples (on Rhodia Bloc No 18 ) and it is fine still! The aprticular pen I am using (a National Security button-filler with stub nib) is not particularly wet.

Cob

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 03:42 PM
This was a TWSBI Mini with a medium nib, I would say it has a averagely wet nib at best. If I remember it was more noticeable on the finer lines, the stub nib we used was about the same as the medium nib above.

It is amazing how much difference the pen and paper used can change the outcome of an experience with an ink! That is why I love these multi people; multi pen mystery ink reviews. No one person is right or wrong as they only report their experience, variety is, after all, the spice of life :)

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 03:45 PM
(By the way, I have only used two Rhodia paper types. Is the Rhodia Bloc No 18 paper better quality than the Rhodia dot pad?)

Please ignore this post, my brain finally caught up...

Cob
May 5th, 2015, 03:46 PM
I wonder if there is a climatic element to this - in particular temperature and relative humidity.

C.

Laura N
May 5th, 2015, 03:48 PM
I agree with Cob, in that I see what Sammyo is saying from his photo, and I believed it anyway, because he is so meticulous. However, in my time using this ink -- in different pens, over the last couple of years -- I've always had great behavior. However, as I said, I don't use cheap copy paper if I can help it and I'm quite certain I wasn't looking for this particular thing.

Here's an idea. MI7 emptied my bottle completely. That means someone got nearly the last bit of ink in the bottle. There were literally just a few drops left behind, because everything I could syringe out I put into the sample vials. I know the last samples made went to Sammyo, elaineb and Xina. Maybe Sammyo's sample was the very last one made, and maybe he's experiencing a little of that spread as a result? Could there have been a few particles or something at the very bottom? I have no idea, just a thought.

I will post the reveal as soon as I can. Work and kids keeping me hopping today.

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I wonder if there is a climactic element to this - in particular temperature and relative humidity.

C.

Interesting... We had just had a number of downpours plus some humidity in the air. Also as I said it was worse yesterday and it was definitely more humid then.

Also scratch my comment about No.18 Rhodia paper, my brain caught up with my eyes and I am now back on track. Sorry for the silly question :p

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 04:04 PM
... Maybe Sammyo's sample was the very last one made, and maybe he's experiencing a little of that spread as a result? Could there have been a few particles or something at the very bottom? I have no idea, just a thought...

I have to be honest... I have not yet reached the bottom of a bottle of ink so I have no point of reference! lol
I have heard that the end of a bottle acts differently to the start. The list of variables grows! Pen, nib, feed, paper, location, weather, where from the bottle, quality of pen cleaning, writing pressure, etc...

As an engineer I love this stuff :D

BCDDiggler
May 5th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I always shake the bottle...

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I always shake the bottle...

https://sukisukiroy.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/orangina.jpg

Laura N
May 5th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Okay, MI7.

Thank you to all the participants. I've used this ink for two years and I don't think I noticed as much about it in all that time as I did reading your reactions. Plus, now I know what "spread" means.

Also, thank you to the people who emailed me their excellent guesses. There were three brave guessers.

One guess was De Atramentis Fog Grey. By coincidence I got a letter with Fog Grey a few days later. It’s a lovely blue gray ink, which is almost more blue to my eyes than gray. Note that this guesser wasn’t actually an MI7 recipient so she was guessing from how the inks looked online. And perhaps she remembers that I like DA ink. :)

Another guess was Diamine Eclipse. This was guess I found fascinating for entirely personal reasons. Because Diamine Eclipse happens to be an ink that I loathe. I've hated it from the first, entirely without reason or rationale. To my memory it's very dark purple. It reminded me of Victorian crepe and almost physically repulsed me. There must have been some scary incident in my childhood that accounts for that, but luckily I’ve repressed the details since I can't afford years of therapy. And now, thanks to MI7, I find I may have to temper my reaction to Eclipse. This guess submitted by someone who knows more about ink than almost anyone I know. So it seems that this ink I dislike might have something in common with an ink I like. Sigh.

The last guess, by Sammyo’s group, was Graf von Faber-Castell Stone Grey. Here’s a swab online (http://www.andersonpens.com/Graf-von-Faber-Castell-Stone-Grey-75-ml-p/fc141003.htm). I think Sammyo's group may be onto something. This looks like it could be close.

It could be a nice alternative ink, at least. Because MI7 was Montblanc’s Albert Einstein ink. Montblanc considers it gray, not black.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1030_zpsmlfhzuau.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1030_zpsmlfhzuau.jpg.html)

Elaineb pointed out how carefully she thinks the ink was composed, and that’s a feeling it’s always given me, too. After reading all these excellent write-ups about MI7, and hearing about the purple tint, which I probably never even noticed before, I'm looking at it more carefully. Now that I think about it, even the box, which uses a black-gray-purple photo of outer space as the blackboard-like background for Einstein’s equations, ties in with the ink color.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1024_zpsj5yo6wu2.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1024_zpsj5yo6wu2.jpg.html)

All that aside, for me, it’s an ink I just loved writing with. I like a dry ink that shades, and a less saturated ink, and don’t like bright inks for most things. So unsurprisingly Albert Einstein worked perfectly for me. I use it in wet pens, like Montblancs, Parkers and Pelikans, so the dry quality is an asset with my pens. Overall I find it an interesting dark gray that can look different with different nibs, but always remains easy to read. It’s been a nice alternative to black ink for me. In fact, I used it extensively at a time when I didn’t want to use black ink. I could use it for work without problem, or in notes and letters. I will admit that I’m an outlier on these fountain pen boards when it comes to ink. I like quieter colors. I find them calm and soothing. I also like zen rock gardens. So I may be boring, but I’m consistent. :)

I'll leave you with a photo taken after I put water in the empty bottle to clean it. There is the purple tint you all found.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1039_zpsptdf8nif.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1039_zpsptdf8nif.jpg.html)

Jon Szanto
May 5th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Damn.

Laura N
May 5th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Damn.

How so? :)

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Ha ha ha... It's so funny that the group agreed on Graf von Faber-Castell Stone Grey (Thanks to naimitsu for the hard work with the dip pen and experience)... but I made an of hand joke comment along the lines of "... But it's usually a Montblanc ink that you can't get anymore! Ha ha ha!"

I honestly really liked this ink. I was planning to try some greys at some point, like kiri-same and fuyu-syogun or De Atramentis silver grey... but now I am ruined :p

Jon Szanto
May 5th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Damn.

How so? :)

http://cliparts.co/cliparts/ATb/K76/ATbK76qyc.gif

migo984
May 5th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Damn.

Kobe #31 Kaigon Stone Grey is close to Einstein but is very slightly darker and an altogether superior grey IMO. Although not cheap, it is less expensive than MI7 and probably easier to obtain these days.

Sammyo
May 5th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Honestly, you should try Graf von Faber-Castell Stone Grey

reprieve
May 5th, 2015, 09:44 PM

+1. That's what I thought MI7 was! :)

Cob
May 6th, 2015, 01:50 AM

I just looked up that one: £25 a bottle!! too strong for me.

Incidentally while looking, I saw an ad for Montblanc Lavender purple - £89!! What's going on with these inks?

Cob

Jon Szanto
May 6th, 2015, 02:17 AM

I'm guessing you won't pop for the $140.00 bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judds-NEW-Old-Stock-Parker-Penman-Sapphire-50ml-Ink-Bottle-in-Box-/141658234797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fb7d1fad), either. ;)

migo984
May 6th, 2015, 02:22 AM

Incidentally while looking, I saw an ad for Montblanc Lavender purple - £89!! What's going on with these inks?

Cob

Montblanc Lavender Purple is a current standard ink. You can get it for £12 per bottle. :-)

Cob
May 6th, 2015, 02:38 AM

I'm guessing you won't pop for the $140.00 bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judds-NEW-Old-Stock-Parker-Penman-Sapphire-50ml-Ink-Bottle-in-Box-/141658234797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fb7d1fad), either. ;)

Jon, your guess is 100% correct!

Cob

Cob
May 6th, 2015, 02:39 AM

Cob

Montblanc Lavender Purple is a current standard ink. You can get it for £12 per bottle. :-)

Yes - I bought one for that price!

C.

Chrissy
May 6th, 2015, 02:59 AM
Yes GFVC is not a cheap ink. It's definitely up there with all of the expensive variations of Japanese inks. There may be a few points in it's favour though.

Firstly is it's beautiful Art Deco glass bottle. It just oozes quality before you open it. Plus it is so stable, you would be hard pressed to accidentally knock it over.

Secondly it is a 75ml bottle, so that makes it's ink price per ml a bit more competitive when you're comparing it with some of the more expensive Japanese inks.

Thirdly, it is really good ink. I have it in 2 shades: Cobalt Blue and Moss Green and I really like both of those colors. I must think about reviewing them.

I'm not suggesting that you necessarily get what you pay for when you buy more expensive inks. Of course, you have to pay for that beautiful bottle. And you can't get it refilled when it's empty, so if you want to carry on using that ink, you have to buy the bottle and the ink again.

Chrissy
May 6th, 2015, 03:36 AM

But feathering...

I'd love tp know. Following the recent review, and your remarks, I have just written a couple of lines in a Rhodia pad I have. I studied it carefully wearing two pairs of reading glasses to be sure: not a trace of anything: it's as sharp as when I put it down. Please tell us: I am treasuring the last few drops I have!

Cob

Following some of the comments about spread and feathering, I went back and had a look at my review form, and still saw no evidence of either. However, that paper is very smooth, 100g/m2 paper, so I suppose it is not entirely unexpected. I also went back and had another look at 'elaineb's' excellent review, and although she didn't specifically mention spread or feathering, she said that 'the hairlines were crisp' so that suggests she didn't experience it either.

I also went over to the 'other place' and looked at reviews of this ink over there. "Feathering/wooly line" was noted as "not seen" by 'Sandy1' who has done more thorough and excellent reviews on there than anyone else.

IMHO many aspects could affect whether an ink spreads or feathers in any particular pen on any particular paper. How a pen nib is tuned, whether it has just been cleaned out and the internal feed is wet or dry, and the atmosphere you're writing in or storing your paper in, could all affect a perception of spread or feathering.

However, I do want to make it perfectly clear that I am not one of those people who believes members' reviews should be challenged or countered for several reasons: Firstly, I am no expert in calculating how or why different inks behave in different pens on different papers, so I have no wish to project myself as trying to look like one. Secondly, it's not my place to challenge or counter a review that a member has done on here as a favor, or just as a fun response to a mystery ink thread. That kind of thing might put members off putting themselves forward and having a go with these mystery ink threads. After all it's supposed to be fun. That's only my view.

migo984
May 6th, 2015, 04:58 AM
IMHO many aspects could affect whether an ink spreads or feathers in any particular pen on any particular paper. How a pen nib is tuned, whether it has just been cleaned out and the internal feed is wet or dry, and the atmosphere you're writing in or storing your paper in, could all affect a perception of spread or feathering.

However, I do want to make it perfectly clear that I am not one of those people who believes members' reviews should be challenged or countered for several reasons: Firstly, I am no expert in calculating how or why different inks behave in different pens on different papers, so I have no wish to project myself as trying to look like one. Secondly, it's not my place to challenge or counter a review that a member has done on here as a favor, or just as a fun response to a mystery ink thread. That kind of thing might put members off putting themselves forward and having a go with these mystery ink threads. After all it's supposed to be fun. That's only my view.

Why shouldn't members reviews be challenged or countered? Members do it all the time over pens, so why not inks? Some ussers have said that they will use a review to make decisions about an ink, therefore they go beyond "a favour or fun" in that respect. As you say, there are numerous reasons why inks look, feel and behave differently. So I think it's an important part of helping other members to point out when you disagree or have an alternative view and experience with an ink. Many users often disagree with each other, and say so, and I like to see that. No point in being precious about reviews; they're not scientific, and I'm sure we'll all agree they're pretty much subjective. Lots of factors can influence how positively or negatively someone reports on an ink.

The more info that's available, the better.

Chrissy
May 6th, 2015, 05:42 AM

Why shouldn't members reviews be challenged or countered? Members do it all the time over pens, so why not inks? Some ussers have said that they will use a review to make decisions about an ink, therefore they go beyond "a favour or fun" in that respect. As you say, there are numerous reasons why inks look, feel and behave differently. So I think it's an important part of helping other members to point out when you disagree or have an alternative view and experience with an ink. Many users often disagree with each other, and say so, and I like to see that. No point in being precious about reviews; they're not scientific, and I'm sure we'll all agree they're pretty much subjective. Lots of factors can influence how positively or negatively someone reports on an ink.

I merely pointed out what my view is. As you say, your view differs.

elaineb
May 6th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I just looked over my samples again as well (been away from the computer for the past day or so so I didn't see this thread until just now) and I see no sign of feathering or spread whatsoever. I used Campus paper (Japanese loose leaf binder paper, not as high quality as Tomoe River nor as cheap as bad copy paper) for the white, and Strathmore 400 drawing paper for the ivory. My lines went from featherweight hairlines to extremely heavy pooling from a very flex nib. In all cases, the edges of the lines were crisp. (There is a term in watercolor technique called "tide marks", which describes the slightly dark border of pigment that occurs when you put down a puddle of very wet paint/water mixture and let it dry undisturbed. You can see it also happening in lighter, translucent inks when they are used very wet. I see evidence of tide marks everywhere on my samples, which wouldn't have occurred if the lines spread past the original boundaries of where my pen laid them down.)

I also didn't notice particularly long dry times, except for the very fat beads of ink laid down by my wet noodle flex pen.

So I have a hunch there's environmental humidity involved somehow. I would think it's unlikely that there would be much difference between the beginning and the end of the bottle if Laura decanted them all into the sample vials over a short amount of time. (I notice a difference over years, after evaporation has gradually occurred. But not over 30 minutes.) It's an interesting conundrum!

I'm not surprised it's a MB ink. I have several, and they all have that same sort of slightly dry feeling in use.

Laura N
May 6th, 2015, 08:31 AM

+1. That's what I thought MI7 was! :)

Yes GFVC is not a cheap ink. It's definitely up there with all of the expensive variations of Japanese inks. There may be a few points in it's favour though.

Firstly is it's beautiful Art Deco glass bottle. It just oozes quality before you open it. Plus it is so stable, you would be hard pressed to accidentally knock it over.

Secondly it is a 75ml bottle, so that makes it's ink price per ml a bit more competitive when you're comparing it with some of the more expensive Japanese inks.

Thirdly, it is really good ink. I have it in 2 shades: Cobalt Blue and Moss Green and I really like both of those colors. I must think about reviewing them.

I'm not suggesting that you necessarily get what you pay for when you buy more expensive inks. Of course, you have to pay for that beautiful bottle. And you can't get it refilled when it's empty, so if you want to carry on using that ink, you have to buy the bottle and the ink again.

Yes to all this!

First, one of the reasons behind MI was that we had often noticed that online swabs don't really give a great sense of the ink in person. However, when Sammyo PM'd me his group's guess, and I checked the Stone Grey swab online, I thought, wow, that really does look close enough that I'd like to sample it. The only reservation I have about Stone Grey is that I didn't notice much shading on that swab, whereas for me Einstein always gave beautiful shading. But it's still very intriguing.

Here in the US, I think the ink is $30 a bottle, which is expensive. But as Chrissy says, it's a big bottle. MB limited edition inks like Einstein are $19 for 30ml, making Stone Grey reasonable in comparison. Klp and I sometimes split bottles, which is a great way to go, because you limit your quantity as well as your investment. And if there were three people willing to do that, they'd get 25 ml for $10 each. Hmm. Also intriguing. :)

Chrissy
May 6th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I would be more than happy to do some bottle splitting with someone in the UK.

How on earth do you decide who gets the original bottle though? :blink:

Actually, thinking about this, I have empty Diamine style plastic refill bottles, so it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to do some bottle splitting with someone in the US who would be OK with a plastic refill bottle. It would be even easier in August/September when I have a US shipping address.

Sailor Kenshin
May 6th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Has anyone compared MB Einstein to Noodler's Lexington Gray?

Laura N
May 6th, 2015, 08:56 AM
I would be more than happy to do some bottle splitting with someone in the UK.

How on earth do you decide who gets the original bottle though?

We just divide them up, like, you take the original bottle for X and I take Y. And honestly, I don't care about the bottle so much. Ink philistine here! :)

Shipping in a plastic bottle is a great idea! I'm blanking on the name, but Jon used one of those plastic bottles from REI to ship me some ink. Whatever it's called is much more secure, as well as being lighter in weight, and actually has a wide mouth for filling.

Laura N
May 6th, 2015, 09:04 AM

Great thought! I hope someone does. I think there must be some other gray inks that are close. The new Caran D'Ache doesn't look quite right from the swab.

I also wonder if there may be a similar Diamine gray out there. Graphite is not. But I say Diamine because that marvelous company seems to have the habit of releasing inks that look close to popular limited edition MB colors. I can't prove, nor do I allege, cause and effect. But I love them for it. :)

I think Chrissy is our Diamine expert so I hope she investigates that, too. :)

Oh, and Sammyo, I do agree with your instincts on Kiri-same and Fuyu-syogun. They are neither of them like Einstein, but they are my other two favorite gray inks, and definitely worth testing. Kiri-same is like liquid pencil. Fuyu-syogun is a blue gray. For me, the favorites are Einstein, Kiri-same and then Fuyu-syogun, but that's just personal taste, and I could see someone else feeling the opposite.

Chrissy
May 6th, 2015, 10:02 AM

Great thought! I hope someone does. I think there must be some other gray inks that are close. The new Caran D'Ache doesn't look quite right from the swab.

I also wonder if there may be a similar Diamine gray out there. Graphite is not. But I say Diamine because that marvelous company seems to have the habit of releasing inks that look close to popular limited edition MB colors. I can't prove, nor do I allege, cause and effect. But I love them for it. :)

Really? LOL

Oh, and Sammyo, I do agree with your instincts on Kiri-same and Fuyu-syogun. They are neither of them like Einstein, but they are my other two favorite gray inks, and definitely worth testing. Kiri-same is like liquid pencil. Fuyu-syogun is a blue gray. For me, the favorites are Einstein, Kiri-same and then Fuyu-syogun, but that's just personal taste, and I could see someone else feeling the opposite.

Should I add at this point that based on comments in this thread, I have acquired a sample of Diamine Eclipse. I will respect your concerns about it and not expect you to read it. Grey or black inks haven't been my go to choices I'm afraid, but I could adapt :) I don't know about Diamine releasing inks that look close to popular LE's but I may know a man who will. :wink:

Sailor Kenshin
May 6th, 2015, 10:38 AM

I asked because I got a letter written with Lex Gray...depending on what undertones and behaviors it has, this ink might come close to Einstein.

Relatively speaking. ;)

migo984
May 6th, 2015, 11:09 AM

I merely pointed out what my view is. As you say, your view differs.

Of course. I guess we can defer to Lao Tzu on this.

Chrissy
May 6th, 2015, 11:13 AM

Sure we can (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/l/lao_tzu.html)

Laura N
May 6th, 2015, 11:20 AM

How nice. Thanks for that, both of you. I love those quotes, Chrissy.

Here's one I will take as my thought for the day: "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love."

reprieve
May 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM

I have Lexington Grey, and, based on everyone's reviews of MI7, it looks close in tone. But Lexington Grey doesn't shade nearly so much. It might be just a bit darker, too. Depending on how wet the pen is, Lexington Grey can sometimes look like a faded black.

Caran d'Ache Infinite Grey is not close. It's a less blue version of Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun. Or a slightly darker version of Herbin Gris Nuage.

Diamine Graphite is too green, I think. Diamine Grey could be close, but that's based on my (often flawed) memory and having never seen MI7 in person. :)

Faber Castell Stone Grey really is a lovely ink. It shades a good bit. It flushes from pens quickly and dries quickly. It's nearly waterproof. I've only tried a sample but am planning to purchase a bottle despite its price tag. I do have a bottle of Moss Green and it's one of my very favorite dark green inks.

Is MB Einstein still available anywhere?

Chrissy
May 6th, 2015, 12:30 PM

There is a bottle on ebay UK for GB£28 plus P&P.....

migo984
May 6th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Of course. I guess we can defer to Lao Tzu on this

Here's one I will take as my thought for the day: "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love."

I prefer "To realize that you do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect".

Dunning-Kruger for the 6thC BC :)

migo984
May 6th, 2015, 12:54 PM

Good old Google eh :)

Laura N
May 6th, 2015, 12:57 PM

I have Lexington Grey, and, based on everyone's reviews of MI7, it looks close in tone. But Lexington Grey doesn't shade nearly so much. It might be just a bit darker, too. Depending on how wet the pen is, Lexington Grey can sometimes look like a faded black.

Caran d'Ache Infinite Grey is not close. It's a less blue version of Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun. Or a slightly darker version of Herbin Gris Nuage.

Diamine Graphite is too green, I think. Diamine Grey could be close, but that's based on my (often flawed) memory and having never seen MI7 in person. :)

Faber Castell Stone Grey really is a lovely ink. It shades a good bit. It flushes from pens quickly and dries quickly. It's nearly waterproof. I've only tried a sample but am planning to purchase a bottle despite its price tag. I do have a bottle of Moss Green and it's one of my very favorite dark green inks.

Another idea would be MB Permanent Grey, the 90th anniversary ink, which looks similar based on the Anderson's swab. This is another LE, but it is still available, as are samples. Of course, online swabs aren't totally reliable, etc.

I know MB Oyster Grey is not the same -- it's lighter in color and just different.

reprieve
May 6th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I'll have to check out MB Permanent Grey. And I forgot all about Oyster Grey! That's another really nice ink; it's kind of like Kiri-same in that it looks like liquid pencil. I love that effect.

migo984
May 6th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Yes GFVC is not a cheap ink. It's definitely up there with all of the expensive variations of Japanese inks.

There's a reason Japanese inks (especially Sailor) are expensive: Osamu Ishimaru

You either appreciate that kind of product quality philosophy & are prepared to pay for it....... or not. I just think Sailor inks are superior by a long way to all my other inks. YMMV of course.

Laura N
May 6th, 2015, 01:17 PM
And I forgot all about Oyster Grey! That's another really nice ink; it's kind of like Kiri-same in that it looks like liquid pencil. I love that effect.

Me, too! Ink twins. :)

naimitsu
May 6th, 2015, 02:42 PM

I have the cartridges of GvFC Stone Grey and it feathers and spreads on everything I write on, especially cheap paper. I have it currently in my Jean Pierre Lepine Indigo with a Medium nib and the ink is basically unusable for me. From the dipped sample from what I assume is the bottle in the vial I had brought with me to the meet, it seemed less feathery/spready than the cartridge. I think I will try filling the cartridge with the vial sample when it empties (as the Indigo is too tiny to have a converter :-/)

naimitsu
May 6th, 2015, 02:50 PM

But feathering...

Cob

Following some of the comments about spread and feathering, I went back and had a look at my review form, and still saw no evidence of either. However, that paper is very smooth, 100g/m2 paper, so I suppose it is not entirely unexpected. I also went back and had another look at 'elaineb's' excellent review, and although she didn't specifically mention spread or feathering, she said that 'the hairlines were crisp' so that suggests she didn't experience it either.

I also went over to the 'other place' and looked at reviews of this ink over there. "Feathering/wooly line" was noted as "not seen" by 'Sandy1' who has done more thorough and excellent reviews on there than anyone else.

I took a second look at the MI #7 writing sample in my Clairefontaine and it looks fine.
Like Sammy said, there was beer & scotch involved... not to mention food and the darker ambiance of the bar, so it might have looked a bit fuzzy in that light.

Laura N
May 6th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I have the cartridges of GvFC Stone Grey and it feathers and spreads on everything I write on, especially cheap paper. I have it currently in my Jean Pierre Lepine Indigo with a Medium nib and the ink is basically unusable for me. From the dipped sample from what I assume is the bottle in the vial I had brought with me to the meet, it seemed less feathery/spready than the cartridge. I think I will try filling the cartridge with the vial sample when it empties (as the Indigo is too tiny to have a converter :-/)

Naimitsu, you have Stone Grey? Can you compare it to an Einstein writing sample you guys made? I'm really interested in how close these are in real life. What do you think when you see them side by side?

Chrissy
May 6th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Another idea would be MB Permanent Grey, the 90th anniversary ink, which looks similar based on the Anderson's swab. This is another LE, but it is still available, as are samples. Of course, online swabs aren't totally reliable, etc.

I know MB Oyster Grey is not the same -- it's lighter in color and just different.

I also thought of Mb Permanent Grey. It looks similar. I never liked Oyster Grey and sold my bottle

reprieve
May 6th, 2015, 05:23 PM

Thanks for this report. That's very interesting. I used up a 2 mL sample of Stone Grey and never saw any feathering. BUT--I only used it in one pen (in my Nakaya Piccolo with a soft medium nib) and I never experimented with different papers. These days, I almost always use Clairefontaine or Tomoe River (and sometimes Staples Bagasse, but I can't remember if I used the Nakaya/Stone Grey combo with the Staples paper). I know I liked the color a lot and was impressed that it dried quickly and was near-waterproof. Now I'm wondering if I should order another sample to test more thoroughly before I commit to a whole bottle.

I wonder if you'll experience less feathering/spread with the sample from the bottled ink. That would surprise me as I can't imagine that the cartridge ink is somehow formulated differently although I suppose it's possible. In any case, please report back to let us know.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 6th, 2015, 05:49 PM

That gave me a good laugh. Most of those are fakes quotes. I've noticed the site Brainy Quotes does this a lot. Most of their Buddhist quotes aren't real either.

Mind you, many of the expressed sentiments do make us think a bit differently about things, so it's not like they are worthless or anything. Just not Lao Tzu!

EDIT: looks like I'll be spending most of my enthusiasts time here from now on in. Just been the victim of over-zealous moderation at the other place. You'd think that opening a dialogue would be a reasonable first action instead of an official warning, but apparently not. So... <shrug>

migo984
May 6th, 2015, 08:44 PM

That gave me a good laugh. Most of those are fakes quotes. I've noticed the site Brainy Quotes does this a lot. Most of their Buddhist quotes aren't real either.

EDIT: looks like I'll be spending most of my enthusiasts time here from now on in. Just been the victim of over-zealous moderation at the other place. You'd think that opening a dialogue would be a reasonable first action instead of an official warning, but apparently not. So... <shrug>

Heehee. Yes :-) Yes, that's why I referred to "good old Google" in my reply to Chrissy. It takes you straight there yet that Brainy Quotes site is notorious for faking quotes. They quote some classic fake Gandhi epigrams.

Re over-zealous moderation in the "other place", join the club. I'm thinking about selling t-shirts. Want one? :)

Empty_of_Clouds
May 6th, 2015, 08:55 PM
We'd have to come up with a pithy slogan. Perhaps a competition to find one?:spy:

naimitsu
May 6th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Naimitsu, you have Stone Grey? Can you compare it to an Einstein writing sample you guys made? I'm really interested in how close these are in real life. What do you think when you see them side by side?

Sure! I'll try to remember to take the Indigo into work tomorrow and beg to borrow Sammyo's TWSBI mini to do a side-by-side on a few different papers and post them.

Sammyo
May 7th, 2015, 05:24 AM

Sure! I'll try to remember to take the Indigo into work tomorrow and beg to borrow Sammyo's TWSBI mini to do a side-by-side on a few different papers and post them.

I will bring the sample vial and pen and previous paper review and... and...

Edit: To fix my stupid auto correct issues and inability to check propely while in a rush!!!

elaineb
May 7th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Again, late to the party. But I did compare MI7 with Lexington Grey, but when I tried to scan them to create the comparison photo, my scanner just couldn't distinguish between them. So frustrating.

Lexington Grey is a touch darker, though not by much. However, it is what I'd call a dirty grey, brownish and muddy in comparison to the clarity of MI7. It is clearly a black ink that was just diluted to achieve lighter tone. I was disappointed when I first bought the bottle, and now even moreso when I saw it next to MI7.

naimitsu
May 7th, 2015, 08:32 PM
So bear with me on this... it's going to get heavy (image heavy that is!)
I have 2 sets of pictures for you all.
Set One are the zoomed out comparisons going in order: Boise 90gsm Inkjet Paper, Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Apica, Tomoe River.
Set Two are the zoomed in comparisons to see the spread/feathering issue I noticed with the inks, in the same order as Set One.
The last picture is an accidental chroma of GvFC Stone Grey from the bottle.

Set One
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211827-1.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211827-1.jpg.html)
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211813-1.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211813-1.jpg.html)
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211735.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211735.jpg.html)
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211705.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211705.jpg.html)
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211612.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211612.jpg.html)

Set Two
Boise 90gsm: Top to Bottom -
GvFC Stone Grey Cartridge (JPL M)
Montblanc Albert Einstein (TWSBI M)
GvFC Stone Grey Bottle Ink (Monteverde M)http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211854.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_211854.jpg.html)
Clairefontaine: Top to Bottom -
GvFC Stone Grey Bottle Ink (Monteverde M)
Montblanc Albert Einstein (Monteverde M)http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212158.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212158.jpg.html)
Rhodia: Top to Bottom -
GvFC Stone Grey Bottle Ink (Monteverde M)http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212238.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212238.jpg.html)
Apica: Top to Bottom -
Montblanc Albert Einstein (Monteverde M)http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212311.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212311.jpg.html)
Tomoe River: Top to Bottom -
Montblanc Albert Einstein (Goulet 1.1mm)
GvFC Stone Grey Bottle Ink (Goulet 1.1mm)
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212351.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212351.jpg.html)

GvFC Stone Grey Chroma
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_094057.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_094057.jpg.html)

Sammyo
May 7th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Clairefontaine: Top to Bottom -
Montblanc Albert Einstein (Monteverde M)http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212158.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/20150507_212158.jpg.html)

I think this image shows a similarity between the two inks! Especially the last two lines :)

Thanks naimitsu :)

Chrissy
May 8th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Thank you naimitsu, that's a great comparison. They do look quite similar

reprieve
May 8th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Wow! That's above and beyond, naimitsu! Thank you!
By the way, what is that lovely bright blue ink that you used to write Rhodia, Apica, TR, etc.? It's so vibrant and eye-catching.

naimitsu
May 8th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Wow! That's above and beyond, naimitsu! Thank you!
By the way, what is that lovely bright blue ink that you used to write Rhodia, Apica, TR, etc.? It's so vibrant and eye-catching.

If I'm not mistaken, the lovely bright blue is Private Reserve Naples Blue. I'm in the process of trying out a ton of lovely bright blues through my Franklin-Christoph 27... because I seem to think bright blue is the appropriate ink to be coming out of a red metalic pen!

I started out loving the Pelikan Edelstein Topaz, then switched to J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche to try it, and realized that I like the brighter shade of blue. PR Naples Blue seems to be a good middle ground between the two and has quickly become one of my current favorites!

Chrissy
May 8th, 2015, 03:24 PM
We have been visiting the same hotel in Naples FL for the past few years, and I always join Goulet's Ink Drop a month before I arrive so that there are some ink samples waiting for me to try out when I send all of my penpals' postcards and letters while I'm there.

Last year one of the samples waiting for me was PR Naples Blue. I just thought it was so appropriate that it had the same name as my favorite place. It was the first one I used in one of the pens I had also bought before I arrived. :)

I still have a little bit left in the bottom of the tube.

Sammyo
May 20th, 2015, 08:58 PM
One additional thing noticed regarding the Montblanc Albert Einstein... did anyone else notice a metallic fleck or sheen to the ink? sometimes I am convince it is there other times I think I just see it because I want to. If it is there it is another thing I love about this ink!

carretera18
May 20th, 2015, 09:11 PM
One additional thing noticed regarding the Montblanc Albert Einstein... did anyone else notice a metallic fleck or sheen to the ink? sometimes I am convince it is there other times I think I just see it because I want to. If it is there it is another thing I love about this ink!

Yes, sometimes I see this metallic sheen too... It's subtle but I like it