PDA

View Full Version : Pilot vanishing point (medium) disapointment

etoyoc
September 3rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
When I received this pen as a back to school gift, I had envisioned keeping it in my shirt pocket and whipping it out to sign an occasional piece of paperwork, write a note, fill out a student pass, etc. during the work day. I was afraid that the clip would be an issue. However, I figured for short bursts of writing, the clip would be OK.

What I didn't expect was that the clip wouldn't bother me but the pen wouldn't write. It will not start properly if it is kept in a nib up position. When it does start, instead of a nice Asian medium nib that would compare to a western fine like my cheaper pilot pens, I get a heavy, wet, broad line. It is a smooth writer, but useless for the applications that I need it for. Broad wet lines turn into illegible smears the second a student touches a note or pass. Now, if I flip the pen over and write with the nib upside down, I do get the finer line I wanted. And upside down, it starts (usually). But in that position, the clip is a nuisance. I have now struggled through three converters of different ink and the results are the same even if it takes much longer for the Diamine Denim and Waterman Serenity Blue to start having issues than it did with Organinks Manganate V.

The nib is smooth, but the gap is enormous! I have tried to carefully squeeze or burnish the tines together. However, without being able to take the nib off the feed, there is only so much I can do and the pen just acts up again.

I know, I can just spend the money for a new nib unit or try to have Pilot look at the pen. However, I would have to guess Pilot's response would be that I pressed down on the nib too hard and charge me for a new nib. Honestly, looking at the nib, that would be my conclusion as well. However, I don't recall ever abusing this pen. Maybe my wife or daughter tried using it. I know a co-worker once tried to use the pen, but it was already having these problems, so I can't blame him.

So, any thoughts or am I just stuck with another pen that just won't work for me without spending 1/2 the cost of the pen on a new nib unit. I am starting to think that it is just me. I have far more problems with pens that cost more than $50 than I do pens that cost less. (unless I consider my bad luck with Jinhao pens). OK, so it is just me. I am too much an oaf to carry anything more expensive than a TWSBI 540 - oh wait, I have cracked some of them... Ummm maybe I should stick to Kaweco Sports and Lamys

manoeuver
September 3rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Purchase price is a sunk cost, useless to worry about it.
If I was you I'd talk to a nibmeister and see what they might be able to do and what it might cost.
There's no reason you can't get that pen performing the way you want to- look at it as an investment-- it may pay off for years and years. or not.

outbackpengeek
September 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
I haven't had any of the problems you are having with hard starting after storing mine nib up...I have it in my pocket at work, and use it sporadically exactly as you planned to. So something is not right. I'm using a CON-20 squeeze type converter, and usually Iroshizuku inks. Mine is a fine, and writes like a fine (all relative of course... I have a '70s era Pilot Custom Grandee that is also a 'fine', and you need a scanning electron microscope to see the line).

bluejay
September 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
I've had some skipping issues with my VP nib. So all my nibs I circulate through Pendleton brown(nibmeister) to make sure all my pens are flowing and ground in a way that its meant to. I suggest sending it back to Pilot. Their customer service is great. They may just swap it! Or as another suggested send it to a nibmeister for an extra $40 they can make it to anything you want(including flow adjustment). Send a sample of your handwriting and tell them which hand you use for writing :) good luck!