PDA

View Full Version : My first Lamy has arrived

Laurie
April 15th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I havent used a fountain pen since I was a school student and that was a long long time ago. I decided to renew my fountain pen experience and after much googling I decided the Lamy Al Star was a good entry pen. I also ordereed 3 cheap JinHao X 450 pens as spares and I can dedicate them to a certain colour ink. Well the Lamy arriveed. Love the thickness as I have quite big hands. Weight was really well balanced and my finger sat well around the grip area. I came with a M nib which was a bit light for me and also I noted it tended to skip a bit on long sideway strokes. I ordered an extra nib which was a B so I swapped them around and found the B nib just perfect. The beauty of a fountain pen for me is that it improves my handwriting as you seem to write slower than with biros. I am very happy with my choice. I am now waiting on some good notebooks I ordered and some fancy inks (Herbin Bleu Pervenche and Diamine Burnt Sienna) Just love those two colours.

tandaina
April 15th, 2015, 04:46 PM
The skipping and light ink on the M make me think it *may* have a bit of baby-bottom. There are some good tutorials on diagnosing and fixing nib issues and those cheap swappable Lamy nibs are good ones to learn on. Oops, that might be another rabbit hole... *walks away whistling innocently.*

Laurie
April 15th, 2015, 05:31 PM
The skipping and light ink on the M make me think it *may* have a bit of baby-bottom. There are some good tutorials on diagnosing and fixing nib issues and those cheap swappable Lamy nibs are good ones to learn on. Oops, that might be another rabbit hole... *walks away whistling innocently.*

Hi Tandaina,
Yes I have looked at quite a few tutorials on the fine tuning of nibs. Could a new nib have baby bottom? Another point I didnt mention I saw a YouTube article about cleaning the new Lamy as they test them with ink. Well mine had blue ink in it. Good to know they are tested before being boxed.

BCDDiggler
April 15th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Pretty reliable. My fine nibs are never a problem. Occasionally the Medium needs some finicking.

inlovewithjournals
April 15th, 2015, 09:08 PM
I am now waiting on some good notebooks I ordered and some fancy inks (Herbin Bleu Pervenche and Diamine Burnt Sienna) Just love those two colours.

Ooh J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche is one of my faves too! Haven't tried Diamine Burnt Sienna but it looks beautiful. What kind of notebooks are you waiting on?

Bogon07
April 15th, 2015, 09:10 PM

Hi Tandaina,
Yes I have looked at quite a few tutorials on the fine tuning of nibs. Could a new nib have baby bottom? Another point I didnt mention I saw a YouTube article about cleaning the new Lamy as they test them with ink. Well mine had blue ink in it. Good to know they are tested before being boxed.

Congratulation on your Al-Star.
It is always a good idea to flush a new Lamy and also slide the nib off and clean away the blue test ink residue before use.
This can reduce the chance of problems later and the disappoint of finding a light coloured ink has a blue tinge to it.

A brass shim is also handy for cleaning between the nib tines.

Laurie
April 15th, 2015, 10:55 PM
I am now waiting on some good notebooks I ordered and some fancy inks (Herbin Bleu Pervenche and Diamine Burnt Sienna) Just love those two colours.

Ooh J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche is one of my faves too! Haven't tried Diamine Burnt Sienna but it looks beautiful. What kind of notebooks are you waiting on?

Hi. I tried to order some Tomoe River paper but it is not being stocked by Notemaker because of the dollar rate has dropped in Australia. So I have order some Rhodia, Life Japanese and Clairfonteyne.

Laurie
April 15th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Funny thing. I have just got my first Lamy and I am looking for another pen.. I am looking at 2 pens. One is a Parker Sonnett which Peters of Kensington has for sale for $94. But I am very keen on the Lamy Studio. I see it is on ebay for $72 from Melpens in Malaysia. I checked them out on the web and they appear to be legitimate. Has anyone had an experience with these pens and with Melpens

tandaina
April 16th, 2015, 08:02 AM

Hi. I tried to order some Tomoe River paper but it is not being stocked by Notemaker because of the dollar rate has dropped in Australia. So I have order some Rhodia, Life Japanese and Clairfonteyne.
Baby bottom is an issue with the iridium tipping, and the only times I have seen it is on a new nib. Sometimes the QA just doesn't catch the issue.

Hi Tandaina,

Chipster67
March 12th, 2016, 05:48 PM
Based on the last couple posts I read, I'm sure to be broke. I just ordered a Lamy AL Star Copper Orange SE, and then I come to this post and read about OP buying the Burnt Sienna, so hit up Goulet and pick that up as well as a refill converter. Man this may be a BAD forum to visit often. My first pen was a Pilot Metropolitan that I still use and enjoy.