PDA

View Full Version : Filofax notebook 100gsm

Roonstain
April 17th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Hey there

First paper review here, so I have no idea what I am doing!!!!

I got the Filofax pocket notebook from Goulet pens, as I couldn't seem to find them elsewhere, especially here in Australia

I put a few pens a go on the paper, and I don't mind it overall as a left handed user compared to Rhodia and Clarefontaine, mainly in terms of drying time

As you can see in the pictures, the paper suffers from a tiny bit of spread with some inks (Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki seemed the worst for this), some showthrough, and some bleedthrough, but only with flex nibs and a really wet Pelikan M1000 loaded with the Fuyu-Gaki. Feathering wasn't a real issue with the finer nibs - broad nibs etc caused a little, but I was happy enough

I was surprised with the Faber Castell, as it has a very wet B nib (it is actually SBRE Brown's former pen from his GOAT pens), and didn't suffer as badly as the M1000

OVERALL:
As a pocket paper that dries quickly (a must for a true pocket book that is pulled out and put back in pockets often), I think it is great - I definitely wouldn't be using and big broad nibs whilst on the run where I would be using a book like this - the Jinhao 159 would be the broadest nib I would use on the run

Good left handed paper too

Cheers

Mark

Faustine
April 17th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the review - I've been seriously tempted by these notebooks and there isn't much out there yet in the way of reviews! It's good to have confirmation - the paper is pretty much as I expected.

Lady Onogaro
April 17th, 2015, 11:38 AM
A fellow FPGeek sent me a sample of this paper. I love the color and the ruling, but the paper has too much bleedthrough and feathering for me. I will probably stick with the Staples brand and Rhodia.

Thank you so much for the review and the pictures. I did not try it with a variety of nibs, and your review makes it clear in just a couple of pictures the qualities of the paper.

naimitsu
April 17th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the review! This was actually quite a fortuitous bit if timing for me! I was just looking at getting this for my ink journal and wanted to see what others here have experienced. Thanks again for the review! It was very informative!

TMac
April 17th, 2015, 02:10 PM
thanks for the review. I just purchased one of these and found if I use fine nibs, and a few mediums, I can use both sides of the paper. The unexpected good news is that the A5 or Junior size Circa or ARC paper will fit this notebook. Right now, I have a mix of paper in my notebook and enjoying its use with pens and inks.

Roonstain
June 4th, 2015, 05:25 AM
So I used this notebook as a pocket notebook during a term of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (I am in med school), where I would take notes on long nights waiting for births to happen (so I could catch the babies!) and take histories from patients etc

These pages have writing on both sides, and I was using my go to EDC pen for the hospital - my Vanishing Point with a Fine nib and Noodler's X-Feather

As a left hander who likes faster drying, I liked the book - and I love the way I can rearrange my notes once I open the book and quickly write something

Overall, not bad at all - I'll continue using the paper in similar circumstances

whych
June 5th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Filofax diary inserts are the same and also don't like FP ink.
Strangely though, the 2015 ones are better.

tandaina
June 5th, 2015, 09:22 AM
I have a Filofax. I threw out the paper that came with it and use my own. Now entirely fountain pen friendly.

whych
June 5th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I have a Filofax. I threw out the paper that came with it and use my own. Now entirely fountain pen friendly.

If you are in to printing your own inserts, I can give you a template for A5 or Personal size diary inserts.