PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Studio or what?

Laurie
April 18th, 2015, 08:06 PM
I am new here and just received by first fountain pen (Lamy Al Star) which I like. I would like to get a second pen somewhere around the $100 AUD mark. My research has led me to the Lamy Studio (steel nib) which I can get as low as about $80 shipped. I have read some good reviews and some others not so glowing. I have big hands and long fingers so I would be thinking I need a larger pen.
Is my choice of Lamy Studio a good choice. What other brands around that price could anyone else recommend.

velo
April 18th, 2015, 09:14 PM
I have the stainless steel Studio with the rubber grip. The other models have a metal section so that's something to keep in mind. I think it's a fine pen although the clip does have a touch of side-to-side movement that has marked the cap. It has a standard Lamy interchangeable nib that will fit Safari, Al-Star, Studio etc.

I must admit after buying my Lamy 2000 I haven't really used the Studio much. I managed to get a lightly used Lamy 2000 for less than $100 AUD but it took a bit of shopping around (ebay).

Laurie
April 18th, 2015, 11:09 PM
I have just done a bit more researching and found a Watermans Expert which I can buy in Australia for about $100 including postage. It seems to have very good reviews and maybe I should experience another brand. Can you buy different nibs for Waterman pens?

Murfie
April 19th, 2015, 12:16 AM
I have just done a bit more researching and found a Watermans Expert which I can buy in Australia for about $100 including postage. It seems to have very good reviews and maybe I should experience another brand. Can you buy different nibs for Waterman pens?
The Waterman Expert can be bought with either EF, F, M, or B nibs, Laurie. But some resellers do not stock all of the nib gauges. On your interest in the Lamy Studio, remember that it comes with the identical nib as in your Al-Star so apart from grip, feel, balance, etc. the writing experience at the pointy end would be much the same. As well as the Expert, several of the Taiwanese TWSBI models fit your budget and they represent very good quality for their price. All nib gauges including 1.1mm italics are available with them. Good luck in your search.

fqgouvea
April 19th, 2015, 05:48 AM
I own a Waterman Expert. I find it reliable but not exciting. Maybe it's just that it's the oldest of my pens, so that it interests me less than the newer ones? In any case, I tend to find it all-business, does the job. The nib is not replaceable, as far as I know.

fqgouvea
April 19th, 2015, 06:24 AM
If you can find a Waterman Phileas, you might find that a little more interesting than the Expert. At least I do. It's not really a tier above your Lamy, but at least it is different. Mine has a very smooth medium nib; I don't know if it exists with other nibs.

Laurie
April 19th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I did a bit more researching overnight and that confirmed what you are all saying. I tried to find spare nibs for the Waterman but couldnt find any. Seems like you have to just buy another pen. I would like to have a pen where i can buy exchange nibs easily and at a reasonable price. I now think I should increase my budget. My latest thought is the Lamy 2000 which I can get for around $170AUD. It has a 14ct gold nib which I would like to experience and i appears you can easily buy spare nibs. What are your thoughts on the Lamy 2000. The reviews are very positive

Laura N
April 19th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I did a bit more researching overnight and that confirmed what you are all saying. I tried to find spare nibs for the Waterman but couldnt find any. Seems like you have to just buy another pen. I would like to have a pen where i can buy exchange nibs easily and at a reasonable price. I now think I should increase my budget. My latest thought is the Lamy 2000 which I can get for around $170AUD. It has a 14ct gold nib which I would like to experience and i appears you can easily buy spare nibs. What are your thoughts on the Lamy 2000. The reviews are very positive

The Lamy 2000 is one of my favorite pens. I like the fine nib. I don't think, however, that you can buy spare nibs for a 2000. At least, I've never seen that, but of course I could be wrong.

The Pelikan M400 would be an excellent idea, or the M200 if you don't mind steel nibs, because it allows nib swapping, but those pens are small and lightweight. Which I'm just mentioning since you say "I have big hands and long fingers so I would be thinking I need a larger pen."

Laurie
April 19th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes I do like larger pens. The Lamy Al Star is very big and very comfortable for. I think i checked out the Pelikans before and noted they are a little small. Thanks Murfie for the lead on the TSWB1 pens. They sound like what I am after. They are big and S. Brown (you just have to love his intro) gave them are pretty good review. They have a new rose coloured model for $70 with shipping around $30. Sounds OK. I can see how you can easily become a colector but maybe my big hands and fingers will cut down the amount of pens that suit and save me some money in the long run.

Murfie
April 19th, 2015, 04:55 PM
... maybe my big hands and fingers will cut down the amount of pens that suit and save me some money in the long run.
Ha, ha, ha. Laurie, I've got bad news for you. Pens come in all shapes, sizes, and weight. Don't plan on saving too much. :)

Laurie
April 19th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Hi Murfie. Did you recognise my signature photo. It is sitting at the Currumbin Vikings outside balcony restaurant looking north towards Surfers Paradise. One of my favourite lunch places. You can get a calamari and salad for about $15 and have a schooner of beer for $5 and look out at the beautiful azure coral sea and often see dolphins riding the waves (not to mention the occasional topless sun baker)

Murfie
April 19th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Hi Murfie. Did you recognise my signature photo. It is sitting at the Currumbin Vikings outside balcony restaurant looking north towards Surfers Paradise. One of my favourite lunch places.
Sorry, Laurie, can't be tempted. I have water on three sides of me on the isthmus that I live on at the entrance to Port Phillip Bay. I have the choice of ocean or bay beaches, numerous large piers to fish off, a large marina, and a pastry shop that regularly wins the "Best Pie made in Australia" award. And to top it off, never a chance of the effects of a cyclone. Cheers ...

Laurie
April 19th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Sorry Murfie. I misread Queenscliff as Kingscliff which is just down the road from Currumbin on the Gold Coast. I have been to Queenscliff as my daughter lives in Geelong. She used to take me to Queenscliff many years ago. There was a very popular fish and chip shop there and when we went the queue was about 100 metres long. Great fish and chips. And scallops (sorry potato cakes as the victorians call them). Remember the beautiful hotel on the cliff looking out to see. Great old pub. BTW I am now looking at a second hand Sheaffer Targa which I am trying to put a price on. Looks okay at this point. I think I will end up getting one of those TSWB1 from Taiwan as they are reasonably priced and get good reviews

Murfie
April 19th, 2015, 11:24 PM
I have been to Queenscliff as my daughter lives in Geelong. She used to take me to Queenscliff many years ago. There was a very popular fish and chip shop there and when we went the queue was about 100 metres long. Great fish and chips. Remember the beautiful hotel on the cliff looking out to see. Great old pub.
The fish and chip shop is still there having changed ownership on numerous occasions, but the quality hasn't diminished. Sadly, The Ozone is no longer a pub but a business premises. There were not enough permanent residents here all year round to sustain the pub, like many other businesses who struggle badly in the off season.

Laurie
April 21st, 2015, 06:40 PM
After doing a few reviews of the Lamy Studio and 1000 I am not sure if that is what I want a this stage. I watched S. Brown's review of the silver Lamy 1000 and didnt like the idea of it twisting a bit when writing. I like the idea of the TSWBI. I then saw a private ad in Gumtree (Australian online market selling site) and saw an ad for an old 1980's Sheaffer Targa with a 14K fine nib. Not sure I will like a fine nib but I got the pen( and biro) for $80 delivered which I thought was reasonable. Apparently it is in very good condition. I would have preferred a medium nib so I tried to find a spare nib section for the Targa. Couldnt find any 14K ones but a Aussie guy on the Sheaffer section suggested it would be better just to buy another second hand Targa with a medium nib. So I looked in the for sale section of this site and found one for sale. I have PM'd an offer and hopefully will be able to settle the deal. That will mean my collection is a Lamy Al Star, 3 Jinhao X450s and 2 Sheaffer Targas. Down the track I will look at getting something a bit better (Maybe Sailor 1700 Large or a Pelikan M400. Cant believe how exciting these fountains pens could be. It seems some of you guys have hundreds of pens of various types. I imagine some of the collection would be worth a lot of money.