PDA

View Full Version : inline images, attachments

J H S
April 19th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Hello,

I'm noticing that when I post images inline, (uploaded from my computer to FPG via 'manage attachments'), the inline images are also included visibly as attached images. Is there a way to only insert images inline, without having the visible attachment echo?

I would like to be able to have visible images as inserts only, or at least the attachments as a link.

thanks,

Jim

EDIT: 42015
To avoid reading the entire novella, please see post number 13 by Pendragon, in this thread.
He wins the Shaeffer feed I dissolved in Goo-B-Gone.
J H S

Chrissy
April 19th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I know what you mean as it often happens. Before you go to 'Manage attachments' you need to ensure your cursor is on the page exactly where you want to insert the attachment.

Then go to 'Manage Attachments', go to Add files and browse to select your file on your PC or Laptop. Once selected then upload it, and it will appear in the Attachments part of the Manage Attachments box. If you ensure it is ticked then select insert inline and click it once it should add just the one image.

If you try and change the image, it's not enough to just delete the line of text from the post, you also have to delete it from the Manage Attachments box as well, by clicking the bottom right corner and deleting it by checking the cross at the top right corner.

J H S
April 19th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Thank you Chrissy,

Your instructions describe the routine I've been following.

I'll use this reply to do a bit of testing, and report further.

>insert image via advanced-manage attachments:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18165&stc=1

J H S
April 19th, 2015, 10:35 AM
verify clue
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18167&stc=1

Chrissy
April 19th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I just uploaded 3 Ink reviews, and because I didn't place my cursor for the attachment in exactly the place I wanted it, I tried to move that command line. That made it come up with the extra image link line. I think it's crucial to have your cursor exactly where you want the attachment to be before you go to Manage Attachments, and once you've uploaded it and placed it inline, you can't move it or change it unless you delete it and start again.

J H S
April 19th, 2015, 10:45 AM
confirmation
OK, it appears that once an image is in the secondary window that holds the attachment bar, it is considered primarily as an attachment.
Selecting inline, will place image at cursor, yet not in exchange for the attachment command which has been executed.
The remedy I'm using now is a bit clunky, but works:
/once attached image is then placed inline, /uncheck the image in the attachment box.....the image is already inline, and the inline image does not appear to be linked to the remaining attachment. /pressing done, calls up an error warning, demanding a replacement attachment. /the only way I find to close the attachment window, while adding nothing more, is to do a hard close with the upper-right hand X at the top task bar of the attachment window, after de-selecting, And deleting the the attachment, by pressing the X at the image thumbnail in the attachment bar.

the image remains inline, and there is no attachment echo.
It's amazing that these forum platforms work as well as they do, and I get that many users would benefit from the way it is set up.
Anyway, I think I have the answer.

thanks again

Jim

J H S
April 19th, 2015, 10:49 AM
well I always do position my cursor accurately, because I generally like a centered presentation for images.

please note that I am using Linux Mint 17, KDE, and that may be a factor to any differences between our experiences.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18168&stc=1

Chrissy
April 19th, 2015, 11:03 AM
confirmation
OK, it appears that once an image is in the secondary window that holds the attachment bar, it is considered primarily as an attachment.
Selecting inline, will place image at cursor, yet not in exchange for the attachment command which has been executed.
The remedy I'm using now is a bit clunky, but works:
/once attached image is then placed inline, /uncheck the image in the attachment box.....the image is already inline, and the inline image does not appear to be linked to the remaining attachment. /pressing done, calls up an error warning, demanding a replacement attachment. /the only way I find to close the attachment window, while adding nothing more, is to do a hard close with the upper-right hand X at the top task bar of the attachment window, after de-selecting, And deleting the the attachment, by pressing the X at the image thumbnail in the attachment bar.

the image remains inline, and there is no attachment echo.
It's amazing that these forum platforms work as well as they do, and I get that many users would benefit from the way it is set up.
Anyway, I think I have the answer.

thanks again

Jim

I never have an additional attachment command already executed as an echo when I click on Manage Attachments. I always check it, click 'insert inline', click 'done' and everything is fine. The only time I get the additional attachment is if I try to move the attachment.

I'm not using Linux though

J H S
April 19th, 2015, 11:22 AM
These platforms are designed for Windows, and somewhat adapted to Macs.
Linux users generally learn to walk barefoot in snow.
I think it is safe to say it is a Linux specific issue, now resolved in this case, and not a fault with the forum platform.

J H S
April 19th, 2015, 01:08 PM
migo984,

I see your message clip arrived in my email notification, but I don't see it here, at the link supplied, (here).

And some of the image tests seem to be missing as well.

I went through all my posts so far and deleted attachments, it appears to be working in the other posts so I'm unclear of what's up.

I'll check later tonight when I'm up again. Thanks for your information, all.

Jim

Pendragon
April 19th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Just a thought, but wouldn't it be easier to upload the images to a free image sharing site and put the link in the post? Postimg.org is pretty convenient to use. Or do they not allow that here?

J H S
April 20th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Pendragon, Pendragon, Pendragon, 3 times cause it's so awesome~(I have a pet Dragon that bites).

Sometimes I'm slower than January honey.....three sided brain, broken elevator!

I do upload stuff into folders on Google drive and link back from a blog occasionally. I'll give that a try.

Someone mentioned that this is a known bug in the platform, and that Linux was not the culprit, so I gave him is blanket back.

The centralized collection with link backs is the way to go though. Only have to upload once. Thanks for the suggestion.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwpXli44qPtfd1RwNGRIRDlMeDQ&authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwpXli44qPtfd1RwNGRIRDlMeDQ/view?usp=sharing
edit: well I've tried adding an in-line shared image from my gdrive with no success. since I now know how to place in-line through 'manage attachments' on this platform, I'm gonna call it good.

Pendragon
April 20th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Here is an example of a postimg linked picture of a Rotring Initial:

http://s10.postimg.org/5bgjasfu1/Rotring_Initial.jpg

The photograph could be better, but it taken in a hurry. The poor quality is due to the lighting when I took the photograph, not postimg. This was all done using Linux, and as you can see there are no secondary imges present.

Here are the steps to insert an image that has been uploaded to the postimg website:

1. Open a web browser and surf on over to http://postimage.org/. You don't need to register or log into postimg to upload a photograph.

2. Click on the Browse button to select one or more image files to upload.

3. Select 'FAMILY safe' for the image content.

4. Click on the 'Upload It!' button.

5. Copy the link for one of the uploaded images from postimg. Use the URL next to the 'Direct Link' entry. The 'Copy image to clipboard' button did not work for me, so I had to highlight and the URL text with the mouse cursor, and then press Ctrl+C.

6. Ok, now go to fpgeeks.com and start entering your post. When you get to the point where you want to insert an image, insert this line:

<postimg Direct Link URL>

where

<postimg Direct Link URL>

is replaced by a postimg Direct Link from step 5.

For example of the picture I inserted above, this line would be:

http://s10.postimg.org/5bgjasfu1/Rotring_Initial.jpg

Even people who are not logged into the forum can see the images full size, and added advantage over uploading the images directly to the Fpgeeks forum.

In case it makes any difference (it shouldn't), I am using the Firefox browser version 31.6.0.

Hope this helps!

Pendragon
April 20th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Maybe whoever now runs Fpgeeks could create a "Scratchpad" sub-forum for people to practice various posting techniques? I have seen this done on other forums, and it is most helpful when experimenting around.

J H S
April 20th, 2015, 11:00 AM
wait, you have to be logged in to see photos? the reason I said it wasn't working was I tried it from a test browser without logging in.

why do I feel like listening to Locomotive Breath at 11?

I'll look into this next time I can see.

thanks all.

mmahany
April 20th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Just a thought, but wouldn't it be easier to upload the images to a free image sharing site and put the link in the post? Postimg.org is pretty convenient to use. Or do they not allow that here?

Easier, more convenient, and less of a burden for the FPGeeks website.

J H S
April 20th, 2015, 11:37 AM
OK, good to hear.

I'll edit my edit in the first post, to reflect the instructional example Pendragon was kind enough to provide in thread post #13.

Pendragon
April 20th, 2015, 02:18 PM
wait, you have to be logged in to see photos? the reason I said it wasn't working was I tried it from a test browser without logging in.

why do I feel like listening to Locomotive Breath at 11?

I'll look into this next time I can see.

thanks all.

If you upload an image to the forum, and then insert the uploaded image into a post, that image will appear as a thumbnail to those not logged in. Most other forums work that way, too.

What I see on your post #4 with the test image is a full image and a thumbnail image below it if I am not logged in. If I am logged into Fpgeeks, I see two full-size images.