PDA

View Full Version : Old Sheaffer Targa

Laurie
April 19th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I am considering buying an old Sheaffer Targa. Seller says it was made in the 1970's but is is perfect condiction. I was worried about the ink sack filler. Being so old I imagine it might be prone to cracking. Are you able to buy a replacement filler sack or maybe a piston type converter for such an old model. Also can someone give me an idea of the value of this pen?

HughC
April 19th, 2015, 09:33 PM
The modern Sheaffer converter fits as do Sheaffer cartridges so no worries with that. The value depends on the colour or metal finish as well as condition. A basic model in chrome with a steel nib think around the A$50 mark, if the nibs marked as 14ct gold as more, if it's a coloured finish a bit more. There being a number of variation of this model without some idea of what your looking at valuing isn't possible.

Regards
Hugh

Jon Szanto
April 19th, 2015, 09:35 PM
I am considering buying an old Sheaffer Targa. Seller says it was made in the 1970's but is is perfect condiction. I was worried about the ink sack filler. Being so old I imagine it might be prone to cracking. Are you able to buy a replacement filler sack or maybe a piston type converter for such an old model. Also can someone give me an idea of the value of this pen?

Replacement converters are not an issue, can be sourced from many places. I'm pretty sure all my Targas can also take the piston-style converter, but I'll check to make certain. However...

You haven't given either a link to the pen or a photo, and so it is impossible to tell you value. Sheaffer made more variations on the Targa than probably any pen in their history, and because of model and material differences, in addition to condition, can affect the value. It would also be important to know that you are NOT getting a slimline Targa, because that one would be more difficult to find replacement filling system, and it would be worth less as well.

It might be helpful if you perused the pens at www.sheafertarga.com (http://www.sheaffertarga.com), just to the reference section and find the likely candidate. You'll gain some good info, and if possible, post a photo of the pen you are looking at for purchase.

One of the most dependable and robust pens made, I keep two of them in regular rotation.

Jon Szanto
April 19th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Damn. Hugh always says more than me with fewer words! And he's a good Aussie resource for info, as well.

david i
April 19th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Solid pen the Targa.

Here's a bunch of off-catalogue stuff I picked up a few years ago. Eye-candy, I guess.

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/introto_sheaffertarga_prototypes925by295.jpg

regards

d

Laurie
April 19th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Hi thanks for your help. Is is a link with the picture of the pen.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gooseberry-hill/collectables/fountain-pen-targa-by-sheaffer/1075924171

HughC
April 19th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Your basic matte black set and one that always looks good. As a set $70 would be fair to both parties ( or a bit higher maybe as it seems in good condition), it's a ball point and not a roller ball in the set and they're a nice well weighted BP to use. As an added bonus there's a possibility it's an Australian model...something I like. Good luck !!

Regards
Hugh

Laurie
April 19th, 2015, 11:34 PM
The clip appears to be a gold colour so I assume that means the nib is a 14ct gold nib?

Jon Szanto
April 19th, 2015, 11:53 PM
The clip appears to be a gold colour so I assume that means the nib is a 14ct gold nib?

That would be my assumption for Fountain Pen model #1003. Hugh will have a good handle on AU prices. Great pen, got an identical one last year, but it is packed up so I can't inspect it.

Chrissy
April 20th, 2015, 03:32 AM
When I sold all of my pens so that I could buy a Montblanc (BP!) I couldn't bear to part with my original Sheaffer Targa FP & BP set, that I had hardly ever used. They are only Brown Ronce, but I really like them. I've been using the FP recently for a new ink and it writes beautifully. However, I don't like the original old style converter as you can't see the ink, so I bought it a new style twist action one. It's perfect. :)

Laurie
April 20th, 2015, 04:53 AM
Thanks Chrissy. What is Brown Ronce? Also I have a reply from seller that the bladder filler has never been used. Is that good or is it worse. I was thinking that if you didnt use it it could be very brittle after nearly 40 years. But if you can exchange it with a piston type cartridge than it is worth the gamble.

jar
April 20th, 2015, 06:32 AM
Quite a few of my original converters for Targas are still trucking along jess fine but replacements are readily available.

Chrissy
April 20th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Thanks Chrissy. What is Brown Ronce? Also I have a reply from seller that the bladder filler has never been used. Is that good or is it worse. I was thinking that if you didnt use it it could be very brittle after nearly 40 years. But if you can exchange it with a piston type cartridge than it is worth the gamble.

'Brown Ronce' is a brown marbled lacquer finish. It's meant to be Brown Roncé but I didn't go to Word and add the 'é '

My original converter must be 40 years old and it's still OK, but I just prefer the latest twist style ones where I can see the ink level. I bought mine on Amazon UK as that's where I found it for the cheapest price, but a Sheaffer converter should be widely available.

mhosea
April 20th, 2015, 07:31 AM
BTW, one can change the sac in the Sheaffer converter. The plastic end is crimped in, but with some heat and patience it can be wiggled out, or pushed out from the other side (if you don't mind trashing the sac that's in there). I changed one of mine, though not because it had failed. I just didn't know how old it was and thought it might fail on my watch. I put a new Parker 51-style PVC sac in it. That should last indefinitely. I also use the modern twist converters in my Targas.

Laurie
April 20th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I bought the Targa for $80 inclusive of postage. It has a gold 14k nib and he tells me it has 585 written on it. It will probably come in a few days but it does appear to be in good condition and he says it was a work present which he didnt use much and in fact the ink sac is still in the wrapper. He thinks it is a fine nib. I personally like a broad nib or maybe a medium. I realise the nib is inlaid but can you buy the whole section in say a broad or medium size for replacement.

HughC
April 20th, 2015, 11:31 PM
You can often buy steel nibs on ebay cheaply but the gold ones are substantially dearer, especially in broad. Depending on the auction a gold will be somewhere between $40 and $80...not helped by our dollar!! It's nearly easier to buy another pen and not much difference in price. A lot of peole with a number of these always use their favorite nib and swap it between pens.

Regards
Hugh

Laurie
April 20th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Thanks Hugh.
I never thought of that option. I will just keep my eye out for a Targa with a broad nib. I will report on the condition of my Targa when it arrives.

Laurie
April 21st, 2015, 06:12 PM
I just found a Targa in the for sale section of this group under "thinning the herd". It is a medium nib so I havent sent a PM with an offer. Havent received a reply yet but probably the time difference between Oz and USA is the reason. I will keep my fingers crossed. If I happen to get that my first collection of pens will be a Lamy Al Star, 3 Jinhao X450s and 2 Targas. That should do me for a while and then I will save a bit and hopefully get into a $200 plus quality pen. I cant believe how addictive this is

Jon Szanto
April 21st, 2015, 06:18 PM
I cant believe how addictive this is

Just wait.

HughC
April 21st, 2015, 09:14 PM
I just found a Targa in the for sale section of this group under "thinning the herd". It is a medium nib so I havent sent a PM with an offer. Havent received a reply yet but probably the time difference between Oz and USA is the reason. I will keep my fingers crossed. If I happen to get that my first collection of pens will be a Lamy Al Star, 3 Jinhao X450s and 2 Targas. That should do me for a while and then I will save a bit and hopefully get into a $200 plus quality pen. I cant believe how addictive this is

Nice Laurie, they look better in real life. The quality of Targas is very good, as good as many very expensive pen and in a lot of cases better ( than the like of modern Conway Stewarts as an example) ..... addictive....yes...

Regards
Hugh

Jon Szanto
April 21st, 2015, 09:43 PM
..... addictive....yes...

Hugh, do you think we should show him some of Bill Sexauer's pens?

HughC
April 21st, 2015, 11:30 PM
..... addictive....yes...

Hugh, do you think we should show him some of Bill Sexauer's pens?

Of course...but I'll put a plug in for the Imperials...Australian ones..

Jon Szanto
April 21st, 2015, 11:40 PM

Handsome set. I have that pen but in Sterling, a gift from my wife.

Mags
April 22nd, 2015, 04:03 AM
Thanks Hugh.
I never thought of that option. I will just keep my eye out for a Targa with a broad nib. I will report on the condition of my Targa when it arrives.

My Targas all behave the same. They are slightly wet writers and seem a touch wider than the nib width. My Med is more Broad and the Broad is definitely a double broad.

HughC
April 22nd, 2015, 04:49 AM
I should explain to Laurie that Bill Sexauer has one of the worlds greatest collections of Targas....I guess "eye watering" would be an apt description...as would the value !! It nearly defies belief that Sheaffer produced so many variations and unreleased prototypes of this model.

Regards
Hugh

HughC
April 22nd, 2015, 04:59 AM

Handsome set. I have that pen but in Sterling, a gift from my wife.

So do I....but I had to buy it myself....I think I wore the "I'd like a pen" bit out years ago :cry: