PDA

View Full Version : How to protect yourself when buying a pen online from this forum?

iygeek
April 20th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Hi

I am new here and was wondering what the best way to buy from the "For Sale" forum is.
Is Paypal the best way to exchange money? Is there a formal process for ensuring both parties are protected?

Ian

mmahany
April 20th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Hi

I am new here and was wondering what the best way to buy from the "For Sale" forum is.
Is Paypal the best way to exchange money? Is there a formal process for ensuring both parties are protected?

Ian
-Use Paypal
-Take the time to read their terms and conditions to understand how you are protected as a buyer/seller
-Follow their requirements exactly (ship to confirmed addresses, use tracking/signature confirmation when required, etc)
-Never send money as a gift or as payment to a family/friend...it may save you the transaction fee, but at the expense of your protection.
-Know who you're dealing with (I do a Google search for the person's name, check their LinkedIn profile, and look for anything unusual).
-Never make exceptions to any of the above. If someone is honest and trustworthy, they'll respect your exercise of caution.

I've completed more than 1000 person-to-person transactions since 2003 (when I registered on Paypal) and have never had a bad experience when following the criteria I mentioned above.

jar
April 20th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Also welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Take part in discussions so that the folk can get to know you and you them.

tandaina
April 20th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I use Paypal and use the "pay for goods or merchandise option."

Honestly buying from folks here, if they have good reputation, are active, etc I really don't worry about it. I still use paypal, not doing stupid stuff, but the established members here have a reputation to protect and aren't out to scam people. Someone recently joked with me that there are fixed number of pens on here and we just sell them around in a circle to one another. ;)

iygeek
April 20th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Everyone. Thanks for all the great advice.