PDA

View Full Version : Pleasantly surprised by a Conklin Stylograph, and a bargain to boot.

migo984
April 20th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Yesterday I received a new Conklin Stylograph, in the brown/red mosaic finish, fitted with a 1.1mm stub steel nib. I bought this via Massdrop, for not much more than USD55, delivered to Australia.

Well, I am surprised, delighted and very impressed indeed.

This is very unlike my preferred style of pen. I like black, plain, simple, vintage. But I really like this! The hand-finished acrylic resin is very attractive. Close up it has a subtle lustre. The chrome trim appears to be of good quality. The spring-loaded clip feels robust and is easy to open with one finger.

It is a medium-to-heavyweight pen, being made of metal, but is perfectly balanced in the hand. I don't post my pens so it may be more back-heavy when posted due to the weight of the cap, but I like the feel of it as I write.

There is a step from the barrel to the section. I don't normally like that arrangement but the section is long enough, and I hold my pen low enough, for it not to matter in this instance. It certainly didn't bother me when I wrote with it.

The section comprises a sleeve of acrylic resin over metal (I think). This gives it a warm feel and an easy, comfortable grip. I acutely dislike metal-sectioned pens so I'm pleased with the section arrangement. Why do nearly all modern pen designs these days seem to incorporate metal sections? Hopefully it's a trend that will soon disappear :)

The Stylograph takes a screw-in converter, supplied with the pen, and it feels very secure. It filled well first time.

I wasn't sure about the nib at first. I filled it with Diamine Wagner (a dry ink) and the pen hated it and refused to write properly. The nib felt very harsh. So the pen was emptied, given an extra thorough flush and clean, and refilled with Sherwood Green, which I knew to be a free-flowing ink. This made an enormous difference, but I didn't like that shade of green ink coming from a brown/red/russet coloured pen (I know, call me weird!) so I refilled it a third time, with Deep Dark Orange. After one or two pages of writing the nib has smoothed itself out and is now a real delight to write with. It's a wet nib (my preference) and still gives a degree of feedback (which I also prefer to glassy smooth nibs).

For a pen in this price bracket, I really am most impressed. I believe this model is being discontinued (?) and there are some good prices to be had from Conklin stockists at the moment. If you like a medium size, slightly weighty, sturdy, quality pen, with an attractive, slightly unusual finish, I suggest you grab one before they disappear.

The pen is also available in two other mosaic colourways, and with a range of nib sizes. I read somewhere that they tend to write on the fine side.

I'd just like to give a shout out to Massdrop too. Great price, very reasonable shipping charges and quick delivery, with excellent communications throughout.

Here are the pics, including a writing sample.

[With thanks to Murfie (aka David Bailey) for the photos]

Mark9117
April 20th, 2015, 11:09 PM
That flashy Conklin at that price? It's not really my style of pen either, but I can't help coveting it. I really love that pen. And I suppose by the transitive property of fountain pen adoration, that means I love you!

No, that can't be right. I'm sure that I don't love you. I envy you a great deal and I'm trying to figure out a way to swindle you out of that pen. But it seems I'm not that smart. For now you and your great looking Conklin are safe.

Just watch your back!

Kidding of course. Enjoy the pen. It looks terrific.

Mark. [emoji6]

Robert
April 21st, 2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the fine review. I, too, picked up a Stylograph with stub nib from Massdrop a couple of months back. I liked it so much that I bought two more (one stub, one medium), which arrived last week. These will be given to an uncle and a good friend as presents. I understand that the Stylograph Mosaic has been discontinued by Conklin, which is a pity. Perhaps something equally appealing will be added to their line soon (?)

Crazyorange
April 21st, 2015, 05:31 PM
That's a great looking pen. Thanks for sharing.