PDA

View Full Version : Information on this nib

Laurie
April 22nd, 2015, 11:00 PM
I am looking at a Waterman Carene fountain pen and it has the following type of nib: 18 karat rhodium-plated solid nib. Can anyone tell me anything about this nibs. I assume they are a steel nib. What is rhodium plated mean.

tandaina
April 22nd, 2015, 11:06 PM
Nope. That's an 18k gold nib. Rhodium plating is what makes things 'white gold' in the jewelry world. (My wedding ring for example). Just gives you that bright silver look instead of yellow.

Jon Szanto
April 22nd, 2015, 11:13 PM
And if you are looking at the pen that came up for sale on this board earlier, that is a really great price on a very nice pen. I purchased a Carene last year, right here, for just under that, and while it wasn't a pen I had been looking for, is awfully nice. Mine has the best factory stub I've ever used, and sees regular use when I need a very large... font. The pen is a bit more on the heavy side than I usually use, but very well balanced and comfortable.

And what T said about the nib.

Wile E Coyote
April 23rd, 2015, 04:56 AM
I'll add that they are every one I've used has been a good writer but stiff as nails.

pajaro
April 23rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
Most modern nibs are stiff as nails. I have three Carenes, EF, F, M and B nibs. The only thing I don't like about these pens is the caps won't stay posted. Otherwise they are superb. I screwed the fine nib and section into a Phileas, and the cap posts on that pen. The green and amber shimmer pens are quite beautiful.