PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a SAFE archival ink for a steel nibbed fountain pen

TDolce
April 24th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Hello experts out there!!!

I have been looking for a "safe" archival ink that won't destroy the metal components or feed of a fountain pen that has a steel nib.
This apparently is no easy task as I have seen BIG debates about Noodlers inks and how some feel they will eventually destroy steel nibs while others say so long as you clean out your pen regularly (this term "regularly" is also vague) you should have no issues with the ink.

I'm aware that Gall based inks can be corrosive to metal components as well.

So,..now I'm lost and confused. I would like a permanent Black ink that is obviously archival and will not be destructive to a $150 pen.

If pen hygiene is the factor here, does this mean that I need to empty the pen of its ink after every use or every month or at what intervals?

I have a bottle of Bulletproof black sitting in my art studio, but I'm now afraid to use it.
Has anyone tried Diamine's Registrar's Ink? It does contain Iron Gall properties though.

Someone recommended Platinum Carbon Black very highly as well.

tandaina
April 24th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Huh, it never even occurred to me that Noodles would hurt a steel nib. Today's steel nibs are pretty damn tough. Early on all I had was Noodlers and steel nibbed pens. I would say use it, clean the pen well and don't leave it sit for days without use. My experience says that's fine. (Talking about Noodler's bulletproof black and modern steel nibbed pen.)

TDolce
April 24th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Huh, it never even occurred to me that Noodles would hurt a steel nib. Today's steel nibs are pretty damn tough. Early on all I had was Noodlers and steel nibbed pens. I would say use it, clean the pen well and don't leave it sit for days without use. My experience says that's fine. (Talking about Noodler's bulletproof black and modern steel nibbed pen.)

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah,..I'm thinking that this is really what it will come down to. If you wash the pen out regularly and/or use it regularly, then it should be ok.
My problem is that I would use the pen maybe once a week,....so I hope that will suffice for "regular use". I mean if I have to empty the ink out and rinse the pen after every use,..then that will be a real drag. That will never happen. Just being honest.

I certainly clean my pens,..but never daily or even weekly.

td

sgtstretch
April 24th, 2015, 12:26 PM
My steel nibbed Lamy Safari has had Noodler's Bulletproof Black in it for the past 14 months. I clean it once every 2-3 months or so. I've had no issues with any pitting, disintegration, discoloration, etc. It still looks and writes as if it were new.

tandaina
April 24th, 2015, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah,..I'm thinking that this is really what it will come down to. If you wash the pen out regularly and/or use it regularly, then it should be ok.
My problem is that I would use the pen maybe once a week,....so I hope that will suffice for "regular use". I mean if I have to empty the ink out and rinse the pen after every use,..then that will be a real drag. That will never happen. Just being honest.

I certainly clean my pens,..but never daily or even weekly.

td

My pens are cleaned when they run dry, not daily or weekly. Usually I use each of those inked at least a sentence or two each day. But some sit for a week or two unused. At this point in my life most of my pens have gold nibs though. But my understanding is *modern* steel nibs are almost all stainless steel at this point. You'll be hard pressed to hurt stainless, old steel nibs are another matter entirely, but if it is a modern pen I'm guessing it'll be fine.

Uncle Bud
April 24th, 2015, 12:41 PM
The only black ink I use is either Noodlers Black or Noodlers X-Feather, both bullet proof. I have used this in steel nibed Levengers, Pelikan m215s and lamy Al-Stars. Like tandaina I too only clean them out when empty. I have been using them like this for over 2 years with no damage to the nibs whatsoever, steel nibs today are very, very durable. My advice is use your Noodlers, enjoy your pens and don't worry.

When I hear the term 'regularly', I take it to mean monthly. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bud.

carlos.q
April 24th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Please check out Montblanc Permanent Black and Permanent Blue. These are ISO 14145-2 certified inks for permanence (and have a nice luxurious flow as well). :thumb:

Wile E Coyote
April 24th, 2015, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't recommend the use of any of the carbon inks if you intend on using the pen weekly. While they won't corrode, they may settle and could clog the feed over time.

Diamine Registrar's is iron gall based and may corrode a steel nib or steel components.

No comment on Noodler's.

Montblanc inks are generally safe, that might be your best bet.

Any FP is going to require regular cleaning to maintain peak performance. The cleaner you keep a pen the happier you'll both be.