PDA

View Full Version : Thuya Burl

dougscott
April 24th, 2015, 04:06 PM
While I don't make a ton of them, I like wooden pens primarily because the big companies don't make them -- it's one of the few things that you can only acquire from little pen makers (well, I'm not little, but my business is!:)). This is a beautifully eye-d piece of Thuya burl from Mediterranean North Africa trimmed in "Urushi Red" acrylic and nickel silver. A nice length for a desk pen (6.25" capped, 5.75" uncapped), it features a handmade clip and a #6 JoWo nib.

Thanks for looking!

Doug1830218303

Robert
April 24th, 2015, 04:28 PM
What a classy pen. I like the silver trim *and* the urushi red accents. Very tastefully done!

caribbean_skye
April 24th, 2015, 06:28 PM
beautiful pen

Lady Onogaro
April 24th, 2015, 07:42 PM
It's gorgeous.

kaisnowbird
April 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM
That's so lovely. Well done!!

I like wooden pens primarily because the big companies don't make them -- it's one of the few things that you can only acquire from little pen makers

While some bigger pen makers occasionally release limited or special edition pens made of wood (I'm thinking Sailor and Platinum), they hardly ever use exotic material like Thuya Burl. The 'eyes' are fascinating.

Thanks for showing.

Crazyorange
April 26th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Beautiful pen.

MCWB
April 28th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Very nice! The red acrylic goes rather well with the wood, which itself is spectacular!

dougscott
April 30th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! There is some brown Malle burl and a piece of Malachite Trustone sitting on the bench waiting for some attention. I'll visit that next!
Doug