PDA

View Full Version : Waterman 92

wangminze
April 26th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post hooray! (other than the intro post)

I'm pretty new to fountain pens and this is my first vintage flex, and lever filler.

Recently I bought this Waterman 92 with #2 nib for $70. Was this worth it?
Do you guys have any info on this one?

It does some great flexing but I'm having some problems with the nib. I looked at it and found that the tines were sometimes a bit off but I could push them back together. I think I somehow misaligned the nib and feed.

Another question is do vintage pens drip like crazy under the slightest shake? Mine always makes a mess if I'm not careful.

Thanks.

Pictures:
1) From ebay seller
2) Misalignment
Rest) Other pics of pen

Scrawler
April 27th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Hello wangminze, nice to meet you. That is a lovely pen. If I were in the market for such a pen, I would not balk, at the price, but "worth" is a personal value. Do you consider it worth it? It is not uncommon for fine flex nibs to become slightly misaligned, and sometime press against each other in such a way that one holds the other up. To find out if they are misaligned, use a X30 magnifier and look at the tines end on, with the tines in a natural relaxed state. If one is slightly higher than the other you can gently lift the lower tine to meet it. With flexible nibs any scratchiness you may feel with the nib unflexed, will go away when you press ever so slightly. If the feed is misaligned with the nib, it needs to be knocked out and refitted. If you do not have experience, don't do that yourself. It is the kind of thing that is easily done when it is resacced. Is it possible for you to post close-ups of the nib and feed? Also it helps if you reduce the image size slightly so that we do not have to scroll to see all of it.

wangminze
April 27th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Thanks for your help Scrawler.
I looked at it and found the tines just like you said: one was slightly above the other, I gently fixed it and it writes much better now.
I attempted to take a close up. How do you guys do it? I think it would be best if I keep this image the original size so you can see it more clearly.

Scrawler
April 27th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I am glad to be of service.

This size is perfect. The one of the barrel in your previous post was too large.

wangminze
April 27th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Oh I see what you mean. It is 400 MB larger than the other photos. Sorry about that.

pajaro
April 27th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I think you might want to consider having the pen resacced. However, my experience with pens even as recently manufactured as a Parker 51 is that if you shake or drop them, you will likely get some ink coming out as a result. The sac might also be old and due for a replacement. I have had an old sac cause some leakage in Esterbrook pens, lever fillers that have sacs.

wangminze
April 27th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks Pajaro. My ebay seller said is was already resacced. But how would that be a factor for leakage?

Scrawler
April 27th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Thanks Pajaro. My ebay seller said is was already resacced. But how would that be a factor for leakage?

If the open end of the sac is not 100% sealed against the nipple, a small amount of air can get in, and displace ink, which then drips out. If the sac is old and has cracks in, air can get in on top of the ink, allowing it to run freely out of the feed. A sac relies on air pressure to work correctly.

pajaro
April 28th, 2015, 03:36 PM
The ink is pulled in and held by a vacuum. Any leak or pinhole in the sac will ruin that vacuum. This might not be the cause, though. If the seller resacced the pen, maybe the seating of the nib and feed in the section is faulty. Or something else . . .

wangminze
April 28th, 2015, 03:45 PM
It might be the nib and feed. Do you know where I can get my pen checked and fixed at a decent price?
Thanks.

Scrawler
April 28th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Where are you located?

wangminze
April 28th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I'm in Phoenix, Arizona. The only brick and mortar store that sells pens is almost 1 hour away from me and I don't know if they do repairs.

Scrawler
April 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I'm in Phoenix, Arizona. The only brick and mortar store that sells pens is almost 1 hour away from me and I don't know if they do repairs.

I have worked in Phoenix a couple times. I liked it. It is very different to where I live. I am fairly sure there are members in Phoenix. Go to the Repair forum and post a message looking for repair in or near Phoenix. Someone will know someone.

wangminze
April 28th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks, will do.

Scrawler
April 28th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Thanks, will do.

I have done it for you.

wangminze
April 28th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks so much Scrawler!

Procyon
April 30th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Aside from your nib problems, your pen was a real bargain. This color/pattern is actually called steel quartz by Waterman. Today, many people mistakenly use that description for pens that are actually grey pearl. The real steel quartz is pretty hard to find. It's a very nice pen.

Incidentally, I suspect your nib problem (assuming there isn't a really bad alignment problem with the nib and feed) may be a simple problem of heat setting the nib/feed. This is easily done in a few seconds.

wangminze
April 30th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Aside from your nib problems, your pen was a real bargain. This color/pattern is actually called steel quartz by Waterman. Today, many people mistakenly use that description for pens that are actually grey pearl. The real steel quartz is pretty hard to find. It's a very nice pen.

Incidentally, I suspect your nib problem (assuming there isn't a really bad alignment problem with the nib and feed) may be a simple problem of heat setting the nib/feed. This is easily done in a few seconds.

I have seen many discussion on the steel quartz and grey pearl. I was pretty confused by which color was which; thanks for verifying for me.
What did you mean by heat setting? Can you suggest a quick way I can fix it?
Thanks.

wangminze
April 30th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Here's a comparison I found from FPN.

Procyon
May 1st, 2015, 04:54 PM
Yes, that is my picture. :)

wangminze
May 1st, 2015, 04:58 PM
Seriously! Lol. Thanks again for the clarification.
So you were saying that I needed to heat the nib and refit it? I don't quite know how all the work...
Thanks.

Procyon
May 2nd, 2015, 08:30 AM
It would be worth a try. Heat the exposed part of the feed, then basically push the feed into closer contact with the nib. Immediately hold under running water, cooling off the feed and fixing the shape.