PDA

View Full Version : Franklin-Christoph new inks

jde
April 27th, 2015, 12:30 PM
In case you haven't heard, Franklin-Christoph retired a bunch of inks, and released some new ones. Here's three of them I scored. My favorite is Midnight Emerald. Not as bright as the Japanese inks some of us love, but they are well-lubricated, happy inks, IMHO. I want to try more of them eventually.

Anyone else have F-C inks they like? Or even any issues with these inks?

(When I can, I'll try scanning again. The purply-nature of the Noir et Bleu not really coming through. The other two look pretty good to real life.)

https://peaceablewriter.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/fcinks056.jpg

sgtstretch
April 27th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Oh, I like midnight emerald. That looks very nice.

kbrede
April 27th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Love their pens but haven't tried their inks. Are these waterproof?
Thanks,
Kent

jde
April 27th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Love their pens but haven't tried their inks. Are these waterproof?
Thanks,
Kent

No, these 3 are not waterproof. I haven't had the ink long enough to come to any good conclusions about water resistance, but they fared poorly on Rhodia, but better on HP 32#. They're somewhat saturated, and so whatever ink has not been absorbed by the paper will wash off.

So I'd say if you need water resistance, probably not a selling point!

Some nice shading, though.

jde
May 20th, 2015, 11:26 AM
For anyone looking: Using this ink now for not yet a month, on some papers (not all) there is bleed-through. This true even though I'm using mostly F or XF nibs. Papers with bleed-through: HP Premium #32, and Rhodia No.18 notepad.

I really, really like Midnight Emerald, even so.

Am I the only one here using this ink?

tiffanyhenschel
May 20th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I haven't tried these yet but was interested in that Dark Chocolate. I wonder how they would fare on sugar cane paper. Isn't that the base for FC paper?

naimitsu
May 20th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I think the other half just had dark chocolate delivered to the house. But not totally sure until he gets back from Arizona in 12 days.

jde
May 21st, 2015, 06:44 AM
I haven't tried these yet but was interested in that Dark Chocolate. I wonder how they would fare on sugar cane paper. Isn't that the base for FC paper?

Well... there's still some minor bleed-through on FC paper. I've attached a quick & dirty shot of the back of a page from an FC notebook. The culprits are Dark Chocolate (EEF Danitrio) & Noir et Bleu (F Pilot). Midnight Emerald did not bleed through despite the broad nibs used on the other side. Minor but enough to be annoying (esp. when one is not used to bleed-through in her inks!). (I don't mind show-through at all.) The bleed-through was far worse on HP #32, and my Rhodia notepad.

Interesting, Tiffany, that the Conqueror paper sample you sent me had no bleed through with Midnight Emerald. Haven't tried with Dark Chocolate yet. (I'll send along a sample of the DC to you.) The DC seems to have the most bleed-through, IME.

Tracy Lee
May 21st, 2015, 04:37 PM
I bought several bottles in DC last year but honestly haven't used them much at all. You have spurred me to fix that. I have Syrah Syrah and Olde Emerald - I need to try the Olde Emerald again. The colors seemed kind of "blah" on paper, not much shading or anything.

klpeabody
May 24th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up about these new FC inks, Julie. The Midnight Emerald is stunning. Thanks for the follow up posts re: performance and behavior. Good to know. =)

tiffanyhenschel
May 31st, 2015, 02:38 PM
Here are preliminary results of experiments with Dark Chocolate.

Dry time on Tomoe River paper is excessive. I stopped testing at 16 seconds. I did, however, write a letter with this ink on TR without smearing, so it's doable. I suppose it just depends on how prone you are to smudges.

Dry time on Plover Bond, an absorbent, vintage paper, is much better, although a lefty would likely have a problem.

I have no bleed through whatsoever on either paper and only a hint of showthrough on the TR. My nib is an XF, though, so take that into account.

The color is just what it says -- dark chocolate. ;) I like it because it doesn't lean to red or green like some other browns.

It runs when it hears water. No resistance at all. That may or may not be important to you.

Is this a good ink? As with most things, that depends on what you want in an ink. I like the color, and it works for me. I will probably get a bottle when my sample is gone. If you must have water resistance and fast drying, or if you use a broad paint brush for a nib, this is probably not the ink for you.

Thanks for the sample and the opportunity to try this new ink, Jde. That Midnight Emerald is a beautiful color when you see it in person. Please keep ha updated as you use it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/31/c68326ec7c086d554c0a74d3aa1f8868.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/31/cca2a6ef6a7a49ebd34a2913630fadc5.jpg

Crazyorange
May 31st, 2015, 08:39 PM
There's that beautiful pen again.....

Any shading?

tiffanyhenschel
May 31st, 2015, 09:05 PM
There's that beautiful pen again.....

Any shading?

It's a pretty saturated ink, so it's never going to shade like Apache Sunset, but it shades a little. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

I wrote with it more this afternoon, and I noticed that it feels like velvet coming out of the nib.

jde
June 2nd, 2015, 08:36 AM
The inks do shade a bit, depending on nib and paper.

It was the silky smooth nature of these inks that got to me.
They are high maintenance inks (have tried Emerald Midnight, Noir et Bleu, Dark Chocolate, and Blue 72).

The colors are really wonderful, IMHO. But definitely have looked up, and seen my share of smears. Best
to keep the blotter handy!

P.S. Love that Tiffany wrote: "runs when it hears water."

FredRydr
June 5th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Does anyone know who makes their inks? Is there a country of origin on the box or label?

Fred

jde
June 20th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know who makes their inks? Is there a country of origin on the box or label?

Fred

What F-C has said is that their inks are made in the USA "not by the usual suspects," and that they are bottled in North Carolina.