PDA

View Full Version : Strialed? 244G

Alanc
April 28th, 2015, 05:38 AM
I have recently acquired a 244G, left in photo, alongside a 142, 144 and another 244.
The pattern on the 244G is, to my eyes, quite dissimilar to the Grey Striated 142 and 144 and seems to be more like the 244 Tiger Eye.
There seems to be no colour other than silver,grey,black.
Is this 244G regarded a a "normal" striated pattern, or something else?
It was bought with no description.
I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Alan

farmdogfan
April 28th, 2015, 10:39 AM
I canīt help you, but itīs certainly a beautiful and spectacular pen.

tandaina
April 28th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I'm going to guess that on the 1XX lines and 2XX lines they simply used different material. The two pens on the ends (244s) while different colors are the same *sort* of material. The two in the center are a different sort of material entirely but they are a different class of price when originally sold as well.

farmdogfan
April 28th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I think that all 4 pens on the pic are made of celluloid.

tandaina
April 28th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I think that all 4 pens on the pic are made of celluloid.

I think you are right, but they clearly are different *patterns* of celluloid. At least to my eye.

Alanc
April 28th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Thank you for your comments.

All these pens have cork pistons and I guess would date no later than very early 1950,s. They are celluloid.
It may be that Tandaina has nailed it. Simply a different celluloid for their second tier pens.
I do like the understated look though, makes the 1xx pens look a little flash!

tandaina
April 28th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Thank you for your comments.

All these pens have cork pistons and I guess would date no later than very early 1950,s. They are celluloid.
It may be that Tandaina has nailed it. Simply a different celluloid for their second tier pens.
I do like the understated look though, makes the 1xx pens look a little flash!
I prefer the 2xx celluloid as well, especially the brown which reminds me of the Arco material Omas is now using. Very pretty classy stuff.

CS388
May 2nd, 2015, 02:28 PM
Nice collection of pens. Sensational lookers!

Yes, the 244 looks very different. If I remember correctly, Montblanc also did another pattern which was PL? (Platinum lined?)
If you google Montblanc PL and then go to images, you'll see a whole bunch of them. Could your pen be from this line, rather than striated?
I'm just guessing, here. I have no experience with these pens.

Enjoy.

FredRydr
July 6th, 2015, 06:03 AM
It is no coincidence that the striated celluloid pattern used on the Meisterstuck 1xx series is different than the layered style used on the 2xx series. All that you find will be this way. If you were looking at the end of a solid rod of each, the striated rod will have layers of many small squares of variegated color in the celluloid slab, while the layered rod is just that, wider layers of different colored material in the celluloid slab.

Fred

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2vC6A2NE7vo/VZqDLJS698I/AAAAAAAAIng/0NtVHGpMKlg/s640/celluloid.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-votxo2oedeU/VZqBwvLzn5I/AAAAAAAAInM/xBW4gGVMHvw/s640/IMGP4523.jpg