PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review Sheaffer Blue

Cob
April 28th, 2015, 07:57 AM
The first time I have posted anything here.

There has been some discussion about ink bottles recently and I bought some Sheaffer inks in the ink-well-style bottles. One of these is blue - and what a lovely blue! I am not normally a fan of blue inks but this is so rich, it's lovely.

Attached a scan and a photo. The photo is much nearer but still hasn't got the full richness I enjoyed so much

Rgds

Cob

oldstoat
April 28th, 2015, 10:18 AM
That is a very nice deep blue with excellent shading. I like blues but hadn't considered this previously- I will, now.

Cob
April 28th, 2015, 10:34 AM
That is a very nice deep blue with excellent shading. I like blues but hadn't considered this previously- I will, now.

In fact it's not far away from that Bleu Azur you kindly gave me,

Rgds

Cob

wangminze
April 28th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I've been looking for a blue but couldn't decide on which one. Looks like I'll have to add this into my consideration too.

Cob
April 28th, 2015, 10:41 AM
I suppose I should point out that I bought this (and a black and a permanent red!) really only for the bottles. I do not know if the ink is still in production.

Cob

mrcharlie
April 28th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I suppose I should point out that I bought this (and a black and a permanent red!) really only for the bottles. I do not know if the ink is still in production.

Cob
What does the bottle's label look like (photo is easiest)? Does it say "Permanent Royal Blue" or "Washable Blue" or "Deluxe Blue" or just "blue" or "Blue"?

If the label is red, or if the label is blue and yellow but has a large lowercase word "ink" on it, then it is the same blue as current production but the manufacture of it was reformulated when they moved production to Europe. If it has the words "Permanent", "Washable", or "Deluxe" on it then it is not the same color as the "blue/Blue" from some point in the 80s through now.

Chrissy
April 28th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I also bought an old bottle that contains 'Sheaffer's Blue ink', just for the bottle. I must dip a pen in it to try it out and see if it's as nice as your blue Cob. :)

reprieve
April 28th, 2015, 01:04 PM
What a pretty color! I don't know why, but I'm surprised. This one is added to my wish list.

Cob
April 28th, 2015, 01:23 PM

Cob
What does the bottle's label look like (photo is easiest)? Does it say "Permanent Royal Blue" or "Washable Blue" or "Deluxe Blue" or just "blue" or "Blue"?

If the label is red, or if the label is blue and yellow but has a large lowercase word "ink" on it, then it is the same blue as current production but the manufacture of it was reformulated when they moved production to Europe. If it has the words "Permanent", "Washable", or "Deluxe" on it then it is not the same color as the "blue/Blue" from some point in the 80s through now.

Here's a snap:

Cob

Cob
April 28th, 2015, 01:27 PM
What a pretty color! I don't know why, but I'm surprised. This one is added to my wish list.

My thoughts exactly; I am a naughty boy: everyone talks so much about inks with jaw-breaking Japanese names, I suspect that sometimes we are apt to forget that the traditional makers probably know quite a lot about making ink!

Cob

Sailor Kenshin
April 28th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the review! Those 'inkwell' bottles are pretty cool.

Cob
April 28th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the review! Those 'inkwell' bottles are pretty cool.

Yes one of the great designs; happily I now have four of them which might be enough unless an interesting colour turns up. I mentioned the permanent red - it is so RED I might do a write up on it. The black is er, black... But I have the peacock blue and also the modern-bottled purple and these are very good inks - based on my limited knowledge and experience, so I should be happy to try another.

Cob

mrcharlie
April 28th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Here's a snap:

That is the current blue, although as I said they "reformulated" all the inks about 15 years ago when they moved production to Europe. IE they adjusted their recipe to the ingredients available in the EU.

Sailor Kenshin
April 28th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Now I'm feeling warmly nostalgic. Sheaffer/Skrip were some of my first inks.

Cob
April 29th, 2015, 02:35 AM
For those interested, I bought the ink from eBay seller tatandmoretat; he has black, blue-black, blue, green and red.

Cob

tiffanyhenschel
April 29th, 2015, 03:23 AM
I have a small collection of vintage Sheaffer inks, and they have aged well. I believe the oldest is from the 40s, and the ink is as fresh as new. It's worth picking up a bottle or two if you like the colors.

The old Melon Red has become my primary grading ink. Depending on the nib, it's anywhere from pink to vermillion.