PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Norway

auto winder
September 13th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Hi all,
I'm a 40-ish computer scientist from Norway, that recently got my interest for fountain pens re-ignited.

Actually it is a long story. 25 or so years ago, I accidently bought a heavily discounted half liter bottle of pelikan 4001 blue-black ink and a dip pen at a local bookshop. I think there was very little interest for stuff like that in my home town so I got it for almost nothing. I had fun writing and drawing with it, and soon bought two Parker Vector fountain pens (with F and M nibs), and used them for taking notes during my studies. Then I got distracted by computers.
Recent events made the fp & ink interest return:
During preparations for moving to a new house, I came across a dusty box containing my half liter bottle of ink and two Parker pens, that I thought I had lost during a previous move. I am actually quite interested in mechanical watches, and happened to come across the "pen and writing instruments" forum on the watchuseek forums web site. I am now happily trying out my new new Kaweco Sport demonstrator (M), I have filled my Parkers with Diamine Evergreen and Red Dragon, and inpatiently awaits one Lamy Vista (F) and three Hero 616 fountain pens to arrive.
Too bad my hand-writing is so horrible that that I can barely read it myself...

JustDaveyB
September 13th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Hi there, welcome.

What is it with IT and fountain pens? They seem strangely to go together.

You do know if you hang around fountain pen forums you will buy more pens and ink etc. :)

What to you think of Diamine Evergreen? I have Diamine Black-Green and was thinking of adding Evergreen to m collection.

auto winder
September 13th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Hi there, welcome.

What is it with IT and fountain pens? They seem strangely to go together.

You do know if you hang around fountain pen forums you will buy more pens and ink etc. :)

What to you think of Diamine Evergreen? I have Diamine Black-Green and was thinking of adding Evergreen to m collection.

Thanks for the welcome, JustDaveyB!
Funny that you should ask about Diamine Evergreen, it has really surprised me twice now. First thing I did with it, I spilled half a 30 ml bottle over my desk and floor yesterday when I tried to fill my converter from it. However, to my surprise I managed to clean it away quite easily without too much disaster. The second surprise came when I was finished cleaning up and could finally try it on paper. When it is wet, it looks almost black, but it dries up to a very beautiful dark green, that seems to be really good for full-page writing as well as for short notes and annotations (which was my original intended use). However, please take this with a grain of salt since I have little experience with green inks apart from green Kaweco cartridges (a bright green, a bit too light for my taste, but ok for annotations) and a Pilot G2 rollerball (a surprisingly nice dark green too).

KrazyIvan
September 13th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Wow. A half liter of ink? I am too ink ADD to buy that much. :D

Welcome to the dark side. :D

manoeuver
September 13th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Hi. Enjoy your stay. Post photos of some fjords if you see any.

auto winder
September 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Wow. A half liter of ink? I am too ink ADD to buy that much. :D

Welcome to the dark side. :D

Hi. Enjoy your stay. Post photos of some fjords if you see any.

Thank you :)
I think I just paid around 50 NOK (~ 9 USD or 7 EUR) or so for that half liter bottle, not bad for a life time supply of blue-black. I'm glad it seems to be keeping well, and I still like the colour.
Unfortunately I'm not in the most fjordeous area of Norway, so perhaps I can post pictures of ink or fountain pens instead :D

manoeuver
September 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
that will be acceptable.

fountainpenkid
September 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Welcome!

Bogon07
September 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
AutoWinder, Hi & Welcome to the forums.

The more inks and pens you get the more you will practise your handwriting.

FP_GaF
September 13th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hi auto winder and welcome from another computer geek that got deeply sucked into the maelstrom of fountain pens and ink. Your story sounds strangely familiar and seems to have played itself out over the same time line as my own, just in a different country. :) Mind you, I am now closing in on my one hundredth pen, so just to let you know what lies ahead of you. Someone recently called it OPCD, "obsessive pen collecting desire" (or should that be "disorder" ) on the FPG forums and quite right they are, too.

Anyways, a hearty welcome. Indulge in the madness! :D

auto winder
September 14th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Welcome!

AutoWinder, Hi & Welcome to the forums.

The more inks and pens you get the more you will practise your handwriting.

Thanks! I guess it will lead to more attention to my handwriting and more effort to make it readable or even nice. :)

Hi auto winder and welcome from another computer geek that got deeply sucked into the maelstrom of fountain pens and ink. Your story sounds strangely familiar and seems to have played itself out over the same time line as my own, just in a different country. :) Mind you, I am now closing in on my one hundredth pen, so just to let you know what lies ahead of you. Someone recently called it OPCD, "obsessive pen collecting desire" (or should that be "disorder" ) on the FPG forums and quite right they are, too.

Anyways, a hearty welcome. Indulge in the madness! :D

Thank you! I hope at least in the beginning to limit my collection to a relatively low number until my preferences mature and I know more about what I like when it comes to size, nibs, filling mechanism etc. Therefore I have a few different low-budget pens incoming for initial research; but the celluloid vintages, gold-nibs and Mont Blancs can wait until I know what I'm doing. :D