PDA

View Full Version : Manu Propria - Clip Study

Manupropria
May 3rd, 2015, 11:04 AM
Hi there,

Over the weekend I experimented with a new clip concept. Brass gold plated. The clip sand blasted and partially polished to give it a wear and tear feeling.
The pen polished Ebonite

Best regards,

Martin18586185871858818589185901859118592

carlc
May 3rd, 2015, 03:14 PM
No offence. Love the pen but the clip....

Personally I don't like the concept of a clip that protrudes beyond the cap.

Having said that thankyou for trying new ideas.

tandaina
May 3rd, 2015, 03:15 PM
I quite like it. Despite the fact that I don't use clips. ;) (really, I'd happily just go to roll stoppers or pens with one flat side as I don't carry pens in pockets.

Bogon07
May 3rd, 2015, 03:59 PM
I like the design of the clip but not the position.
Like Carlc I do not like the idea of the clip protruding beyond the lip of the cap.

Manupropria
May 4th, 2015, 03:07 AM
I personally also don't like clip pens to much but I like to experiment

carlc
May 4th, 2015, 03:26 AM
I personally also don't like clip pens to much but I like to experiment

Absolutely - experimentation is important and thank you for sharing. I hope you haven't taken offence from my comment because none was meant.

Manupropria
May 4th, 2015, 03:39 AM
Nono, not at all Carl. I am showing my pens and hope to hear the thoughts of you guys, positve as well as negative.
Thank you

Martin

dr.grace
May 4th, 2015, 09:56 PM
I love it! But it would also be beautiful with a more conventional placement.

piscov
May 10th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I really like it very much. Itīs almost a clip and cap ring at the same time. Also the design in very interesting.

Have you done that in two pieces? The ring in the lathe and the clip in a mill? If itīs done in two pieces how are they attached after production?
If itīs in one piece how have you manage to do it? CNC 5 axis lathe?

Hope itīs not too many questions :) But the engineering behind that supports the design is what most interest me in pen making.

TAYLORPUPPY
May 10th, 2015, 02:30 PM
The clip and its placement look fine

Manupropria
May 11th, 2015, 12:25 AM
Hi Vasco, thank you.
Generally, I refuse working with CNC machines. I am working with Aciera milling machines, Schäublin lathes, 3D Pantographs and Hauser precision jig borer and my hands, The ring was turned on the lathe and the clip cut with the jigsaw. Bot pieces are soldered together with silver solder

Best regards,

Martin

JP Philippe
June 29th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Hi,

I find it not logic. If the clip has the least bit of tension it will scratch the barrel when you screw the cap on. I see it has none atm. But if the user gives bends it in to give it more tension..
Looks nice otherwise. How did you do the polishing?

JP

sharmon202
June 29th, 2015, 10:29 AM
If the upper part of the clip does not scratch the cap, I like it.

Manupropria
June 30th, 2015, 07:56 AM
It is correct, that the clip doesn't touch cap or barrel at all.
The finish was made by sand blasting and polishing before gold plating.

Cheers,

Martin

dougscott
June 30th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I find it very appealing. While some may have reservations about functionality, I believe its real value is in its presentation as art rather than craft. The juxtaposition of textures, the repetition of line and the presentation of tone and value all elevate this pen beyond a "pocket piece." The finish is exceptional, by the way. I also like the simplicity of the nib -- whose is it?

Congratulations.
Doug

Manupropria
July 3rd, 2015, 12:30 AM
Thank you very much Doug,
The nib is a Jowo nib, 18 kt.
Best regards,

Martin

amk
July 3rd, 2015, 09:06 AM
Love the simplicity, and the contrast of textures. And actually I like the way the clip protrudes beyond the cap, as when the pen is closed it appears to unite the two halves of the pen almost as if they were stapled together.

piscov
July 3rd, 2015, 09:20 AM
As I said before I really like it and itīs innovative ( at least for me). Innovation in pens is something I donīt see too often and for that I take my hat to you!

Thank you for describing me the equipments and technical details I asked the otter time.
Looking forward to see more work from you.

One suggestion: That clip would go great with a flat top pen, the pen could have a back end that would screw in the cap when posted.

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 09:38 AM
I really think it looks fantastic. I am grateful you keep sharing your work here.

fountainpagan
July 7th, 2015, 01:26 AM
I like it.

And I like where it is located.

The all (the clip's shape and positon) looks like the obi of a kimono. Was that your intention? if so, congratulations, you did it.

Catherine Van Hove
July 13th, 2015, 02:58 PM
This is an interesting clip.
Position is right for me.
I like the sandblasting and polishing contrast.
The sash like aspect is very nice.
Wel done ! Keep experimenting.

Manupropria
July 15th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Thank you Catherine, I will

Best regards,

Martin