PDA

View Full Version : Seitz-Kreuznach - Colors of Natur Palm Green

Uncle Bud
May 3rd, 2015, 01:02 PM
I picked up three of these inks on fleabay recently, and since green is my favorite colour, this got to go first.

Interesting colour - green with just a hint of blue.

Very well behaved, no hard starts, skips etc.

No Bleed/Showthrough.

No Feathering

Easy to clean out.

I have enjoyed this ink, it is very easy to use, and very well behaved. It is well lubricated and the nib just slides on the page, it's great. Even on cheap copy paper at work there is no feathering, which is impressive. It is just dark enough that I will use this at work, and since there is very little shading, although there is some, I have used it for some work purposes. Green is my favorite colour group, and this will get used, but Diamine Delamere Green would still be picked over this one. I'm sorry, I don't know the model number of the pen, but it's the purple Hero Safari look-a-likey.

As I said above, I also got Artic Blue and Tomato Red. I might sometime do a review of them too.

Cheers,

Bud.

migo984
May 3rd, 2015, 03:38 PM
Thank you for reviewing this ink. I have a couple of bottles of this brand & there aren't many reviews of them yet. They are good value.

It's really good to see a review of something different, other than the common inks which have been repeatedly reviewed. I'd like to see what you think of the blue & red.

Standardgraph inks are also worth trying.

elaineb
May 3rd, 2015, 05:21 PM
If you think you might not end up using the ink because it's too blue, it might be worth experimenting with some tweaks to change its hue a bit. I don't know if you have any yellow/gold/oranges around, but a smidge of any of those will tilt the color balance away from blue and more toward the neutral green that you prefer. Greens are particularly easy to mix, which is why I bring it up.

tandaina
May 3rd, 2015, 06:12 PM
I quite like it!

Uncle Bud
May 4th, 2015, 02:04 AM
If you think you might not end up using the ink because it's too blue, it might be worth experimenting with some tweaks to change its hue a bit. I don't know if you have any yellow/gold/oranges around, but a smidge of any of those will tilt the color balance away from blue and more toward the neutral green that you prefer. Greens are particularly easy to mix, which is why I bring it up.

Thanks for the tip elaineb. The closest I've got is Orange Indien, do you think that would work, I've never tried mixing inks, but will give it a go with a couple of milli's.

elaineb
May 6th, 2015, 07:18 AM
The orange will make it a more earthen green than if you used a clear yellow. Not sure if you like those warm olive-y greens or not. But definitely try it in a little sample vial. You'll only need a couple of drops to see the change.

I just found a stash of three old-style Sheaffer ink bottles with the inkwells, brand new, for $3.00 each at an old stationery store. Each of the contained King's Gold, which I truly dislike. However, I made a wonderful warm clear green by adding a portion of Waterman's South Sea turquoise blue into one of the bottles. Still tweaking it a bit, but I'm enjoying the color so far. I don't normally do a whole bottle at a time, but the alternative was dumping the ink down the drain, so I figured I didn't have much to lose.

Uncle Bud
May 6th, 2015, 01:48 PM
L
The orange will make it a more earthen green than if you used a clear yellow. Not sure if you like those warm olive-y greens or not. But definitely try it in a little sample vial. You'll only need a couple of drops to see the change.

I just found a stash of three old-style Sheaffer ink bottles with the inkwells, brand new, for $3.00 each at an old stationery store. Each of the contained King's Gold, which I truly dislike. However, I made a wonderful warm clear green by adding a portion of Waterman's South Sea turquoise blue into one of the bottles. Still tweaking it a bit, but I'm enjoying the color so far. I don't normally do a whole bottle at a time, but the alternative was dumping the ink down the drain, so I figured I didn't have much to lose.

Thanks for that, I do love Olivey greens. Do you literally mean drops, like from an ink syringe to say a couple of mils of ink. Thanks again.

elaineb
May 7th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Yes, drops. I say that only because I don't know how concentrated the Herbin ink is. Clear yellow is a pretty weak-tinting dye so you can just kind of slop some into a mix and see how you like it. But with ruddy oranges, you need to be a bit more measured (*ahem* pun only partially intended) because they might be more potent and change the color faster.

Start with 1/2 a vial of the green, add a couple drops of the orange, swirl it around and note the color change. If it already looks interesting, dip test it with a nib and see where you are. If it's still too cool, add another couple of drops at a time until you see something you like. If you feel you've added too much orange, you can add a little more green to cool it off again.

I don't generally do "recipe" type measurements. For color mixes made from a single ink tweaked slightly by another color, I just save a swatch on a card for future reference. When I want to mix more, I pour out more of the base color and again, just tweak it gently until I get the new color to match the old. Our eyes are actually quite good at discerning minor variations in color (as we all know from minutely examining every ink sample swatch at GouletPens, etc.) and it takes very little time to mix more up.

Uncle Bud
May 7th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Yes, drops. I say that only because I don't know how concentrated the Herbin ink is. Clear yellow is a pretty weak-tinting dye so you can just kind of slop some into a mix and see how you like it. But with ruddy oranges, you need to be a bit more measured (*ahem* pun only partially intended) because they might be more potent and change the color faster.

Start with 1/2 a vial of the green, add a couple drops of the orange, swirl it around and note the color change. If it already looks interesting, dip test it with a nib and see where you are. If it's still too cool, add another couple of drops at a time until you see something you like. If you feel you've added too much orange, you can add a little more green to cool it off again.

I don't generally do "recipe" type measurements. For color mixes made from a single ink tweaked slightly by another color, I just save a swatch on a card for future reference. When I want to mix more, I pour out more of the base color and again, just tweak it gently until I get the new color to match the old. Our eyes are actually quite good at discerning minor variations in color (as we all know from minutely examining every ink sample swatch at GouletPens, etc.) and it takes very little time to mix more up.

Thanks for the instructions, I'm pretty thick when it comes to things like that. I'll do a bit of tweaking over the weekend, and do an update to the review after I've got a good colour.