PDA

View Full Version : The obsession with PFM continues

lowks
May 5th, 2015, 04:30 AM
The obsession with PFM continues with my latest acquisition of a Legacy.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-B1yT9q2Q--o/VUgmukqvWqI/AAAAAAAAHG4/fumMeWr8eLw/s462/DSC00646.JPG

HughC
May 5th, 2015, 04:59 AM
Nice, enjoy !!

Regards
Hugh

jar
May 5th, 2015, 07:37 AM
I will be interested in your experiences with the two kissin cousins twice removed.

lowks
May 5th, 2015, 07:41 AM
I will be interested in your experiences with the two kissin cousins twice removed.

Love the feel of writing with both the PFMs. Love the solid feel of the Legacy. I love the feel of the nib in both the pens.

fqgouvea
May 5th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Sorry to be so clueless... What is a PFM?

Fernando

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lowks
May 5th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Sorry to be so clueless... What is a PFM?

Fernando

PFM = pen for men

fqgouvea
May 5th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Heh! Would never have guessed that one!

lowks
May 5th, 2015, 08:16 AM

The fpgeeks definition is: pen fetish manna

Lady Onogaro
May 5th, 2015, 03:30 PM

Hey, I've been on the forum a year, and I never knew. But you know what's weird? When I see pictures of pen shows, there are very few women in them. Those rooms are filled with mostly men. So it would seem that pens for men are rather more the rule than not.

I think I like the geeks version of pen fetish manna better.

Jon Szanto
May 5th, 2015, 03:36 PM
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/jocelmeow/1394397/108770/108770_900.jpg

jar
May 5th, 2015, 04:29 PM

Hey, I've been on the forum a year, and I never knew. But you know what's weird? When I see pictures of pen shows, there are very few women in them. Those rooms are filled with mostly men. So it would seem that pens for men are rather more the rule than not.

I think I like the geeks version of pen fetish manna better.

Sheaffer also offered a Ladies line with far greater variety than the PFM.

Jon Szanto
May 5th, 2015, 05:34 PM

HughC
May 5th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Sheaffer also marketed Ladies pens to men. The 1940 catalog for the Lady Sheaffer Ensemble mentions it can be supplied in a men's case.

lowks
May 5th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Sheaffer also marketed Ladies pens to men. The 1940 catalog for the Lady Sheaffer Ensemble mentions it can be supplied in a men's case.

Yeah you are right, it was just not called PFW.

jar
May 5th, 2015, 07:31 PM

Yeah you are right, it was just not called PFW.

There was a "For the Guys" and "For the Dolls" but that was somewhat later.

http://www.fototime.com/A3822476E16ED79/xlarge.jpg

lowks
May 5th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Somehow FTG or FTD does not roll off the tongue like PFM

elaineb
May 6th, 2015, 06:20 AM
That 1970s ad makes me just cringe and whine in pain. Oh the shirt. Oh that tie. Oh, the HORRIBLE wording in the copy. And then to read, "SHEAFFER still the proud craftsman" as their motto. Good lord, it makes me clutch my Snorkels and my Tuckaways and whimper at just how far the mighty can fall...

manoeuver
May 6th, 2015, 03:52 PM
That 1970s ad makes me just cringe and whine in pain. Oh the shirt. Oh that tie. Oh, the HORRIBLE wording in the copy. And then to read, "SHEAFFER still the proud craftsman" as their motto. Good lord, it makes me clutch my Snorkels and my Tuckaways and whimper at just how far the mighty can fall...dang, that is really shitty copy. There's not a less profane word that fits.

Jon Szanto
May 6th, 2015, 03:56 PM
dang, that is really shitty copy. There's not a less profane word that fits.

You could have said darn.

Neo
May 8th, 2015, 02:08 PM
That 1970s ad makes me just cringe and whine in pain. Oh the shirt. Oh that tie. Oh, the HORRIBLE wording in the copy. And then to read, "SHEAFFER still the proud craftsman" as their motto. Good lord, it makes me clutch my Snorkels and my Tuckaways and whimper at just how far the mighty can fall...

Perhaps with Sheaffer's acquisition by Cross, there will be a positive change in their product line.

mhosea
May 8th, 2015, 02:55 PM
You could have said darn.

Yes, the mending of garments with yarn is quite abhorrent. I cannot think of it without wincing. OTOH, he could even have said "vile and contemptible". That's almost good enough, don't you think?

Jon Szanto
May 8th, 2015, 04:55 PM
OTOH, he could even have said "vile and contemptible". That's almost good enough, don't you think?

It apparently affects some people quite strongly. Go for it, I say.

manoeuver
May 8th, 2015, 07:10 PM
darn, that is really shitty copy. There's not a less vile and contemptible word that fits. we gettn there?

Jon Szanto
May 8th, 2015, 09:52 PM
darn, that is really shitty copy. There's not a less vile and contemptible word that fits. we gettn there?

Off you fuck, thou rump-fed ronyon!

lowks
May 8th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Oh wow that's news to me. Did not know they were acquired

ArchiMark
May 31st, 2015, 01:54 PM

Nice pens, lowks!

What's your take on the PFM's vs Legacy pen now?....

Mark

lowks
June 1st, 2015, 04:23 AM

Nice pens, lowks!

Mark

I like Legacy the most, followed by PFM IV then PFM. That being said deciding my favorite among these gems is like deciding the favorite among your children

ArchiMark
June 1st, 2015, 07:31 AM

Nice pens, lowks!

Mark

I like Legacy the most, followed by PFM IV then PFM. That being said deciding my favorite among these gems is like deciding the favorite among your children

Thanks for the input....understand about deciding favorite.....

Do you like Legacy more because it is heavier than PFM or newer or ?.......

lowks
June 1st, 2015, 07:32 AM

Nice pens, lowks!

Mark

Thanks for the input....understand about deciding favorite.....

Do you like Legacy more because it is heavier than PFM or newer or ?.......

It's more of the weight and feel. It just feels more substantial.

jar
June 1st, 2015, 07:39 AM

How can you doubt copy from TEXTron?

mrcharlie
June 2nd, 2015, 11:31 AM
Oh wow that's news to me. Did not know they were acquired

I did not realize that either.

A.T. CROSS COMPANY COMPLETES THE ACQUISITION OF SHEAFFER

Lincoln, Rhode Island, 11 November 2014. A.T. Cross Company, a portfolio company of Clarion Capital Partners, announced today that it completed the purchase of Sheaffer, BIC’s fine writing instrument business.

By leveraging the individual strengths of Cross® and Sheaffer®, two authentic, American fine writing brands, the A.T. Cross Company is well-positioned to be a worldwide leader in the design, manufacture, marketing and sale of premium, high-quality writing instruments.

pajaro
June 7th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I was always instructed that PFM meant "pure f-----g magic."

This is a real revelation.

This incarnation of PFM looks like a really upscale Imperial. I have Imperials with chromed caps with gold filled clips. Probably better off with the Imperials as there's not so much lost when I lose the pen.

jar
June 7th, 2015, 01:20 PM

This incarnation of PFM looks like a really upscale Imperial. I have Imperials with chromed caps with gold filled clips. Probably better off with the Imperials as there's not so much lost when I lose the pen.

Here is a PFM (Legacy same size) next to a couple samples of Imperials.

http://www.fototime.com/009A255CEBB98F4/large.jpg

pajaro
June 8th, 2015, 12:11 PM
A nice comparison. The PFM does look luxurious.

lowks
June 11th, 2015, 11:30 PM

Here is a PFM (Legacy same size) next to a couple samples of Imperials.

http://www.fototime.com/009A255CEBB98F4/large.jpg

Nice!