PDA

View Full Version : Postcards for Scholarships!

Newton Pens
May 7th, 2015, 10:07 PM
During the entire month of May, if you buy a pack of student art postcards you’ll automatically be entered to win a pen, just send $10 via paypal to newtonpenspay@gmail.com and I’ll give you a number AND you’ll get a pack of postcards in the mail (so be sure to include your mailing address in the PayPal note, use commas). Every penny raised will go towards the scholarships and support students. Yes, you can buy as many postcard packs as you want, and for each pack, you’ll get a number.

Essays are being read and judged right now, and I should have all the scores in very soon. Each recipient will get $1000 and a custom pen from me and some ink to get them started.

Right now we've raised $5699! We're so close to that $6000 goal, only a few more sets of cards to sell and we'll be there. And when it comes to college expenses, every penny helps. :)

https://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/schol21.jpg?w=300&h=300

I will announce income for May and the winner of the custom pen on May 31 as close to 9 PM Central US time as I can get.

The drawings are free for all to enter, from all parts of the world. No restrictions at all.

The raffle itself is free. If you want to enter the raffle without supporting the scholarship or helping graduating seniors (or getting any of those cool postcards) then all you have to do is send a note in the mail to:

Shawn Newton
PO Box 6084
Hot Springs, Ar. 71902

Everybody who enters will be given a number in the order of postcards purchased and letters in the mail, and at the end of the month I’ll draw a number to pick the winner of a custom pen. I use random.org as a number picker.
Raffle pens are limited to c/c filling system, steel nib of any size with any grind you want. If you want any extra customizations, bands or rings, special filling system, gold nib, or anything else, there will be normal charges.

https://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/2015-04-13-10-05-432-600x601.jpg?w=700

If there are ANY questions, please do ask. If you have a suggestion about how to make things easier to explain or understand, please let me know. :) This is all about the success of the scholarship and getting financial help to as many kids as we can.

If you want to help the fund without buying postcards, contact me through email, newtonpenspay@gmail.com, for details.
Questions?
1. “I’m confused how do I buy? I see no buy button for the postcards.”
–There is no buy button. You just send $10 via paypal to newtonpenspay@gmail.com along with a postal address and I send you a pack of cards and a free raffle number. If you type your address into the Note box, please use a comma to separate lines, otherwise your address will come to me as one long line, and I may not know where to break it up, especially for international addresses.

2. “Interesting idea. Is it open to non-USA residents? I couldn’t find information one way or the other, but postage costs must surely be an issue.”
–Open to everybody worldwide. International postage is only about $1.15 so not that bad.

3. “What kind of pen do I get if I win?”
–You get any model, any size, any nib grind, any material I have on hand. If you want a gold nib or special filling system (button, bulb, or piston) I ask that you pay for that. I’ll still cover shipping.

4. “How do I enter for free?”
–Send a note or postcard in the mail to me at
Newton Pens Free Raffle
PO Box 6084
Hot Springs, Ar. 71902
Include contact info like name and email or I won’t accept it. Nicknames/usernames don’t count. This is the same thing I tell my students at school: put your name on it or I can’t grade it! :)

5. “Who can get a scholarship? Art students only? Kids in Arkansas only? Kids at the school where you work only?”
–Right now the scholarship is open to any high school students going in to college, anywhere in the USA. Kids at any school can apply and receive a scholarship. Current college students are not eligible. Adults going back to school are not eligible.
You can browse my materials page for an idea of the materials I have on hand. If you win, and you want to see more, I’ll take more photos of my material stock.

Newton Pens
May 9th, 2015, 07:52 PM
9 entries so far.

KBeezie
May 10th, 2015, 12:31 AM
9 entries so far.

Thought there'd be more. PS: Received the Postcards :P

Newton Pens
May 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
It's only 10 days into the month. :) Hopefully there will be plenty more. And we're up to 13 entries now. :)

KBeezie
May 10th, 2015, 09:21 AM
It's only 10 days into the month. :) Hopefully there will be plenty more. And we're up to 13 entries now. :)

http://i.imgur.com/NGoxXI9.gif

Newton Pens
May 16th, 2015, 06:39 PM
We're at 20 participants.
That means $5855.75 after paypal fees. Not too bad. :)
If the total is a little short of $6000 by the end of the month, I'll put in the difference to bring it up.
Thanks for your participation. It means a lot, not just to me, but to the kids who will be receiving this money.

KBeezie
May 16th, 2015, 07:56 PM
We're at 20 participants.
That means $5855.75 after paypal fees. Not too bad. :)
If the total is a little short of $6000 by the end of the month, I'll put in the difference to bring it up.
Thanks for your participation. It means a lot, not just to me, but to the kids who will be receiving this money.

Them kids need a crate of varsities or preppies :P

Newton Pens
May 16th, 2015, 08:53 PM
The kids who receive scholarships will each get a pen and some ink from me. :) Even better than a varsity or preppy.

Newton Pens
May 19th, 2015, 09:11 PM
First thing is the video from last night - can you tell I was nervous??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJj2iwl6tE

That's Natalie Webb from Mountain Pine.
Other scholarship recipients include Christian Greer from Lake Hamilton School, Michael Siniawa from West Fork High School, and Nathan Steadman from Lakeside, all of those four from Arkansas.

From San Francisco, CA., is Marco Antonio Perez Jr. from Lowell High School, and from Iowa is Geoffrey Montour from Carlisle High School.

A super huge congrats to all the winners, and my sincerest thanks to all of you who participated in the post card sales that helped to raise all of the $6,000 for this years' scholarships.

Newton Pens
May 20th, 2015, 07:16 PM
And we're up to 39 participants! Woot!! :)
That puts the fund at $6026.18!! We're already off to a good start for 2016!!

Newton Pens
May 23rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
41 participants and $6116 raised so far. That easily covers the 2015 scholarships and gives us a good start to the 2016 scholarships. :)

Pen winner picked the 31st. There's still plenty of time to get in on the action. :)

Newton Pens
May 31st, 2015, 12:41 PM
47 entries and still about 7 hours to participate.

Newton Pens
May 31st, 2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks so much for all of your support.

We raised $6219.73 this year for 6 kids.

#36 won this month's post card sales pen drawing. Congrats to Mary G!

http://newtonpens.com/2015/05/31/may-postcard-pen-winner/

KBeezie
June 1st, 2015, 02:16 AM
Thanks so much for all of your support.

We raised $6219.73 this year for 6 kids.

#36 won this month's post card sales pen drawing. Congrats to Mary G!

http://newtonpens.com/2015/05/31/may-postcard-pen-winner/

:P Darn, so close.

Nice to see the goal was reached and surpassed, congrats to those kids.