PDA

View Full Version : Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Hommage Mozart Platinum line fountain pen

Laurie
May 10th, 2015, 10:53 PM
I am looking at MB Meisterstuck Hommage Mozart on a local selling page. the seller is asking $200. That sounds a little cheap but maybe it is just a good deal. She says there is no converter but has cartridges. My research indicates that converters dont fit this and you need cartridges. That turns me off a bit and I am a bit wary of a fake.

da vinci
May 10th, 2015, 11:58 PM
This is also a very small pen even when posted. I would look carefully at the dimensions before you buy as it is considerably smaller than you other pens, which are probably closer to the 145.

Good hunting.

Laurie
May 11th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. I read where they were made for posting and that they post very well and balanced so I thought it would be ok with my big hands.

Jon Szanto
May 11th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. I read where they were made for posting and that they post very well and balanced so I thought it would be ok with my big hands.

The two statements are not in conflict: the pen is well-designed for posting, and is perfectly balanced when posted. It is also a very small pen, so it would more than likely be very unsuitable for your hand. When looking at pens, and you are in a situation where you can't actually hold or see one, you really have to do more diligent investigation, and in this case that includes actual size (as in measurements) and weight. With enough looking, you can find that information.

mmahany
May 11th, 2015, 05:32 AM
The Mozart is a very cool pen, as mentioned, it's meant for posting and its a very small pen. I own one with gold trim and one with platinum trim.

Something I didn't see mentioned: the barrel is actually metallic versus "precious resin." That's nearly a must as the pen is so small.

I've been very happy with my Mozart pens but they're not meant for writing for long periods of time. I use mine for updating my planner, jotting down 1-2 sentence notes, and otherwise keep it in its respective leather case.

FredRydr
May 11th, 2015, 06:07 AM
$200 is a low retail price for a 114 Mozart fountain pen, assuming no condition issues and comes with box, CD, booklet, etc. A bordeaux version commands more.

Note that the barrel is threaded for securely posting the cap, rather than just slipping the cap into the barrel.

Fred

Chrissy
May 11th, 2015, 07:18 AM
The Mozart is the smallest FP that Montblanc make. I can't find the dimensions on their web-site, and that's not surprising. However, if you have a look at the pictures here (http://www.montblanc.com/en/collection/writing-instruments/meisterstueck/107706-meisterstueck-platinum-line-hommage-a-wa-mozart-fountain-.html), it is compared with the Classic (145) and the Le Grand (146).

There is also a picture of how small it is in a hand, that may help you decide how small it is.

If I was you I would try to find one in a shop to handle before buying it.

It is a cartridge only FP.

Costanza
May 11th, 2015, 09:49 AM
It is a great pen, but quite small. I have no problems with extended writing sessions, but as Chrissy points out, one really needs to hold and use this pen prior to purchase.

Here is a pic with my 146, 144 and 114 Mozart to give you an idea of scale.

Laurie
May 11th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am a bit hesitant about fakes. Overnight I was thinking whether the people who makes these replicas would go to the trouble of faking the Mozart. Wouldnt a fake of a classique be more readily sold as there would be a greater market for that pen.

jar
May 11th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am a bit hesitant about fakes. Overnight I was thinking whether the people who makes these replicas would go to the trouble of faking the Mozart. Wouldnt a fake of a classique be more readily sold as there would be a greater market for that pen.

Even Hero pens get faked.

I like mango pudding
May 11th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I'm looking at a Mozart too to complete my Meisterstuck collection. I haven't seen the Mozart faked. Only the Chopin (145) and the Classique (144)

Laurie
May 11th, 2015, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=Laurie;129720]
Even Hero pens get faked.

Wow. I find it difficult to comprehend how they would make much money. It would be like faking a Jinhao X450 which sells on Ebay for under $10 shipped.

FredRydr
May 12th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Yes, that does seem odd.

Fred

Chrissy
May 12th, 2015, 08:38 AM
I'm looking at a Mozart too to complete my Meisterstuck collection. I haven't seen the Mozart faked. Only the Chopin (145) and the Classique (144)

This is a site (http://www.luxurypensstore.com/montblanc-meisterstuck-meisterstuck-fountain-pen-c-18_19.html?zenid=a18emscjdqvr43lss8a9ip1pu4) that sells only fake pens and there are 2 Mozart types at the bottom of the page. To be fair they are both Tribute to the Mont Blanc pens though. However, if they can make white ones they can surely make black ones. :(

kaisnowbird
May 12th, 2015, 08:58 AM

The two statements are not in conflict: the pen is well-designed for posting, and is perfectly balanced when posted. It is also a very small pen, so it would more than likely be very unsuitable for your hand. When looking at pens, and you are in a situation where you can't actually hold or see one, you really have to do more diligent investigation, and in this case that includes actual size (as in measurements) and weight. With enough looking, you can find that information.

I agree with Jon.
Laurie, you might find the Mozart way too small. Even if its genuine, $200 is reasonable if it's in great condition, and it's indeed a lovely pen, it probably is quite unsuitable for your big hands.

You mentioned before that you enjoy the size of an Al-Star. You will see a few size comparison pictures from this thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4481-Four-way-shoot-out-a-review-of-mini-fountain-pens), including next to a Safari. Think carefully before you commit.

mhosea
May 12th, 2015, 11:55 AM
If one is taking a first foray into Montblanc Meisterstuck pens, I suggest a used piston-filled Montblanc 146 / LeGrand, and shoot for the low $200's. A fair retail price would be $325 or so for a (used, of course!) one in excellent condition with box and papers, so approaching $200 in an auction format is possible with patience, usually without box and papers. With enough patience, one might go even lower.

Note that some of the clones are sold as 146's and such, but there should be a piston filling mechanism and an ink window, in addition to a beautiful nib with nice, deep, crisp, engraving. When you are ready to spot fakes, then a Classique or 144 might be in the cards, but the cloners have a pretty good game with the popular c/c models, so you need good pictures.

The only drawback I can think to the 146 is that you might need to lubricate the piston, or have it lubricated for you, and that requires a special wrench to do safely. But you can buy a decent version of the wrench for $13 + shipping (unfortunately $15 shipping to my location) on eBay.

Laurie
May 12th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I was just thinking. These people who make fakes etc make life difficult. I tried to imagine the pain of paying out good money, waiting anxiously for your purchase and then discoverying it is a fake. What has the world come to. Constantly having to watch your emails before opening in case you get a virus and they raid all your passwords. People going around stealing letters out of your letter box and assuming your ID. Skimming your credit cards with remote devices while you are at ATMs and so on. All this just makes you very skeptical. If it is like this now what is it going to be like for our kids.

FredRydr
May 12th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Have counterfeit 114s turned up? Or is this just Montblanc forum handwringing?

Fred

tandaina
May 12th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Yes, stick with the piston filled models and you should be fine. The cart/converters get copied all the time. And if you venture into vintage you are pretty well golden, the 1950s stuff isn't counterfeit. ;) A 146 can be definitely had for $200 to $250 in very good condition and they are wonderful pens.

mmahany
May 14th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Have counterfeit 114s turned up? Or is this just Montblanc forum handwringing?

Fred
To be frank....it's nothing more than paranoia

I like mango pudding
May 14th, 2015, 09:05 PM
The fakes make it real hard to buy the real ones on line as you never know if what you just bought was a fake or not.

I like mango pudding
May 14th, 2015, 09:09 PM

This is a site (http://www.luxurypensstore.com/montblanc-meisterstuck-meisterstuck-fountain-pen-c-18_19.html?zenid=a18emscjdqvr43lss8a9ip1pu4) that sells only fake pens and there are 2 Mozart types at the bottom of the page. To be fair they are both Tribute to the Mont Blanc pens though. However, if they can make white ones they can surely make black ones. :(

I checked out that site and I really doubt that you'd end up getting what is shown..
That looks like a site that will just take your money and send you a piece of crap.

Besides those prices are approaching genuine pen prices.

mmahany
May 15th, 2015, 07:06 AM

I checked out that site and I really doubt that you'd end up getting what is shown..
That looks like a site that will just take your money and send you a piece of crap.

Besides those prices are approaching genuine pen prices.
Exactly. Common sense dictates that you're not going to find a "deal" on a new pen from an online retailer.

ebay- avoid listings where the seller uses stock photos. Look for pens with pictures of the actual pen they're selling.

Trusted online retailers- dont expect to find a good deal on a new pen, but there are several trusted online retailers that resell used pens. Generally speaking, you will pay a higher price than through eBay, however, you have the piece of mind working with a business rather than an individual.

Post a wanted thread here- I'm debating on selling my 114mozart platinum. Theres a possibility others may have one there willing to sell too.

Craigslist- it's a long shot but I've found some amazing deals from my local craigslist. Again, exercise caution when dealing with individuals and make sure the seller isn't using stock photos.

FredRydr
May 17th, 2015, 06:38 PM
I have both a black and a bordeaux with boxes and papers and CDs. Both with B nibs. PM me if interested.

Fred