PDA

View Full Version : For sale: Handmade leather single pen cases (tube style)

Thecla
May 16th, 2015, 03:15 AM
#1 is sold
#5 is no longer for sale

Added June 12th: I have one more case for sale that is not pictured here. It's a light coloured case in 2mm leather and similar size than #5 (20 x 21.5mm inner diameter and 148mm minimum inner length). It has some slight surface flaws in the leather. I added some pictures of it at the end. The price of that one is 35€.

As a side note: the color of the cord can be changed from red to green or vice versa according to buyers preference.

Last winter I got to making these leather pen cases and since I don't really need all that many of them it's time to thin the herd.

These are all handmade by me. The material is vegetable tanned leather. The cases rely on the natural tendency of leather to hold the shape it dries into so they are quite firm but will not tolerate a hard squeeze (I would say in a purse with other stuff they fill do fine, in a backback with a big heavy binder on top maybe not, stepping on it definitely not). Also, exposure to water will turn them soft (they would then need to be placed on a mold to dry to retain the shape).

The inner cross section is oval shaped and the minimum diameter varies from 19 to 21mm (0.75 to 0.83 inches) with the larger diameter about 1mm larger. The inner length fully closed varies also. You can find the information lower in this post. Each case can comfortably hold a pen that is about 20-30mm (an inch or so) longer than the minimum length. They can hold a longer pen than that too but the fit of the inner and outer parts is not as secure at a very extended position.

The seams on the brown cases is sown with waxed black linen thread and on the undyed cases with waxed beige polyester thread. The cords are made of cotton embroidery floss and is held together with a two holed leather bead of the same leather as the case.

The ones made from undyed leather will darken with time and exposure to light. Case number 3 already shows a faint "tanline" as the part that is covered by the cap has remained it's original color. The brown ones might very well also tan but it will probably not be as visible.

I live in Finland so the shipping options are a bit limited and not very cheap. I will charge the actual shipping cost (will be confirmed before payment) and will give some examples at the end of this post.

Payment with Paypal.
SEPA might also be possible for buyers within the SEPA area but I would have to check possible fees first.

The cases for sale. Note: cases 3 and 4 are in reverse order (because apparently I can't put numbers from 1 to 5 in the correct order).

This case is made of 1.6mm leather (4oz thickness). The thinness means that the case is not as firm as the ones from thicker leather. The inner length fully closed is 136mm (5.35in). Minimum inner diameter is 19mm. The inner and outer part fit together quite firmly (a bit too firmly imho) so the price is lower: 25€ + shipping.
Also of 1.6mm leather (4oz). Inner length 140mm (5.51in) and minimum diameter 19mm. 30€ + shipping.
This one is 2mm undyed leather. Inner length 136mm (5.35in). Minimum inner diameter is 21mm. A bit more firm than the previous two. It has already tanned a little. One can see the tanline in the picture. 35€ + shipping.
2mm undyed leather. The inner length fully closed is 128mm (5.04in). Minimum inner diameter is 21mm. This one has some scuffing in the leather and the seam has a very narrow crack. It is only visible at close distance and does not affect the integrity of the case. 30€ + shipping.
2mm brown leather. The inner length fully closed is 152mm (5.98in). Minimum inner diameter is 19mm. This one turned out particularly well and so the price is a little bit higher. 40€ + shipping.

The case that was added later.

Closeup of the "flaws" (I kind of like a bit of character in leather, bit it's purely a matter of taste.)

On shipping:
The least expensive method to ship to most countries from Finland is by economy maxi letter. Unfortunately it can not be tracked. The least expensive tracked method would be a parcel starting at 21.20€ to select European countries and between 30 and 36€ to most of the world.

Economy maxi letter to United states: 10€, delivery time 12 business days or more.
Priority maxi letter to United states: 12.20€, 4-10 business days.

Ecomony maxi letter to Germany, UK and some other European countries: 6.50€, 7-14 business days.
Priority maxi letter to Germany, UK and some other European countries: 8.30€, 2-5 business days.

NOTE: Any customs duties and fees are the responsibility of the buyer.

Thecla
June 12th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Bumping.

Some changes: one case no longer for sale and another one added.