PDA

View Full Version : Season of Fake Lamy Aquamarine Pens?

Lady Onogaro
May 22nd, 2015, 11:50 PM
I noticed that suddenly there's a whole slew of fake Lamy Safari acquamarine pens on ebay. What gives?

A bunch of those bear Lamys have shown up there, too--all fake so far as I can see. It's crazy. I wonder if these folks bought them, learned they were fake, and then are trying to unload them. Do you think they don't know they have fakes?

Laura N
May 23rd, 2015, 10:42 AM
I noticed that suddenly there's a whole slew of fake Lamy Safari acquamarine pens on ebay. What gives?

A bunch of those bear Lamys have shown up there, too--all fake so far as I can see. It's crazy. I wonder if these folks bought them, learned they were fake, and then are trying to unload them. Do you think they don't know they have fakes?

You know, sometimes I wonder. I mentioned that to someone posting a photo of an obviously fake aquamarine Safari on another thread, and he/she didn't respond. I have to assume some people don't care whether it's real or fake, just that they have it. People buy fake purses and wallets and even watches all the time, knowing they are fake. Are Lamy Safaris status objects now? Saints preserve us.

Also, it's fair to say that some people are probably just looking to make a buck, whatever the means.

I am somewhat saddened, though not at all surprised, because there's nothing in it for them, that Lamy isn't doing anything about it.

Lady Onogaro
May 23rd, 2015, 01:15 PM
What is bad is that some of these are private sellers in the U.S. and they are advertising these as the limited edition. What made me take a second look was the price they were asking ($65 for an acquamarine on ebay--very suspicious). If it had been on this site or FPN, I could see it, but not on ebay.

Laura N
May 23rd, 2015, 02:23 PM
What is bad is that some of these are private sellers in the U.S. and they are advertising these as the limited edition. What made me take a second look was the price they were asking ($65 for an acquamarine on ebay--very suspicious). If it had been on this site or FPN, I could see it, but not on ebay.

Well some of the ones from abroad are even more expensive, and some also look like pretty obvious fakes, although interestingly they look different. Is there more than one source? Are the photos just doctored?

On the other hand, one I clicked on looks real from the photos in the listing. But if you have one real one, you can photograph that, or if you ever sold the real ones you can find those old photos, and you can use those in your ad.

I find it quite a coincidence that all of a sudden vendors have multiples in stock of an older limited edition, in mint condition, at the same time when a lot of fake Safaris are being produced and sold. And when I'm seeing photos of obviously fake Safaris in aquamarine, so you know the fakes are being produced in that color.

Lady Onogaro
May 23rd, 2015, 11:30 PM
That was the thing that surprised me--multiples in aquamarine rather than other colors. Well they make pink ones again, so I don't know what other Safari colors would be worth faking. The Line brown bear ones, obviously.

nicholasyeo
May 26th, 2015, 10:22 AM
I'm extremely surprised that people would fake Lamy pens. Given the quality of the copies, it just goes to show how advanced the counterfeiters have become. Apparently the thing which helps differentiate between a real one and fake one is simply the feed - the fake is said to have a feed which is not in line with the nib.

Lady Onogaro
May 26th, 2015, 11:04 AM
There are more signs than just the feed to identify the fake. Here's a video demonstrating some of the other signs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EE3DtrJlEA