PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NYC

penultress
September 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
I'm new here but have already familiarized myself with srebrown's youtube videos! I have always loved pens, but only recently have I started with fountain pens. I picked up my Lamy Safari 2 years ago and love it. However, finding out that I could change the nib made me love it more!
Looking forward to growing my beginner collection (Pelikan, TWSBI, Monteverde, Aurora)!

jar
September 22nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

writingrav
September 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Welcome. Hide your wallet!:)

auto winder
September 23rd, 2012, 01:31 AM
Welcome :)

earthdawn
September 23rd, 2012, 02:05 AM
Welcome...

Stephen does great videos that are entertaining and really informative. Though I must confess I have surfed on over and bought some of the pens he has reviewed before i even finished the video lol.

Being in Manhatten you have a couple of really nice stores in the area. Fountain Pen Hospital is a pretty amazing store to wander into. Just leave your wallet at home !

southpaw52
September 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Welcome abroad, a big hello. We will do are very best to enable you with FPAD.

Tracy Lee
September 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Welcome! Yes, FPH is a great store. I order from them all the time and their customer service is outstanding, even when a shipped box containing a pen disappears in delivery. I would love to head up that way and spend the best part of a day wandering inside. You are in good company here, happy to have you aboard.

fountainpenkid
September 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
welcome!

penultress
September 23rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks, everyone! I have only been to Art Brown so far, as I work nearby. I made most of my purchases there and now I've moved on to ebay (yikes). I'm waiting for my next day off to visit FPH and YES I will leave the wallet at home!

Bogon07
September 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
Penultress, Hi and welcome to the forum.
The Goulet Pens site has some useful videos on Lamy pens and nibs which may come in handy.
Hanging around pen forums is almost guaranteed to explode your pen & ink collections and open your eyes to new options.

Tracy Lee
September 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Amen. :):thumbup:

KrazyIvan
September 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Welcome to the forum and the dark side. :D

brando090
September 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Have fun here, along with other pen forums!

penultress
September 25th, 2012, 08:33 PM
The dark side is right - I'm obsessed! I've now purchased a couple of vintage pens, not even knowing if I'll be able to learn how to use them! They're lever fills? Nevertheless, they've been restored, so I'm looking forward to getting them. They're cool looking!

FP_GaF
September 25th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I've now purchased a couple of vintage pens, not even knowing if I'll be able to learn how to use them! They're lever fills?

No fears, lever fillers are very easy to use and very reliable. There are still plenty of them around, some almost a hundred years old. All they need is a good rinse with water regularly and a new sac every fifty odd years (a wild guess because I don't really know how long a sac lasts, they are so reliable you see). But your new old pens have just been restored anyway.

Actually, many of us fountain pen aficionados like lever fillers because they usually are also very easy to restore on our own. Fitting a new sac is quite often the entry to a more hands on approach to fountain pens. But you'll be fine for a long time before your vintage pens need that kind of attention.

Enjoy your new pens. BTW: what brand and model are we talking about, if I may ask?

penultress
September 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
No fears, lever fillers are very easy to use and very reliable. There are still plenty of them around, some almost a hundred years old. All they need is a good rinse with water regularly and a new sac every fifty odd years (a wild guess because I don't really know how long a sac lasts, they are so reliable you see). But your new old pens have just been restored anyway.

Actually, many of us fountain pen aficionados like lever fillers because they usually are also very easy to restore on our own. Fitting a new sac is quite often the entry to a more hands on approach to fountain pens. But you'll be fine for a long time before your vintage pens need that kind of attention.

Enjoy your new pens. BTW: what brand and model are we talking about, if I may ask?

Thank you, FP! I'm hoping you're right about the sacs! It doesn't look difficult to replace but it's just new. These vintage pens are a new world for me. My purchases are on their way to me by 'snail mail' - not regular post but unexpedited service from Europe.

I picked up a Sheaffer Balance (brown striated) and an Othello 610. I think they're really cool looking pens!

earthdawn
September 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
FYI so you know,

Art Browns Annual Fall Pen Fair is on Wed, Thurs, and Fri Oct 31, Nov 1 & 2.

I have never been but I may have to check it out this year.

penultress
September 26th, 2012, 10:28 PM
FYI so you know,

Art Browns Annual Fall Pen Fair is on Wed, Thurs, and Fri Oct 31, Nov 1 & 2.

I have never been but I may have to check it out this year.

Thanks! I am planning to go. I don't think I'll attend any pen show any time soon, so this will be it for me!

FP_GaF
September 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I picked up a Sheaffer Balance (brown striated) and an Othello 610. I think they're really cool looking pens!

Aaaaah, brown striated Sheaffer Balance, nice. That is a nice pen. I must admit I have never heard about the Othello brand. Need a Google session, obviously...

penultress
September 29th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Aaaaah, brown striated Sheaffer Balance, nice. That is a nice pen. I must admit I have never heard about the Othello brand. Need a Google session, obviously...

Hmm, if you do find something about Othello, would you let me know? I vaguely recall pencils, but not pens. That's in the US.

brando090
September 30th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Welcome, and i think you might wana try flex...

penultress
October 1st, 2012, 07:40 PM
Welcome, and i think you might wana try flex...

Flex? I'm still new but I did recently purchase some Noodlers pens. I'm using the creaper flex. Is this what you mean?

Bogon07
October 2nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Flex? I'm still new but I did recently purchase some Noodlers pens. I'm using the creaper flex. Is this what you mean?

I bought one of those last week. It is fun to use and gives a slightly different writing experience with the ability to produce thick or thin lines depending on the pressure applied to the nib.

Brian Goulet from GouletPens has some helpful videos on using them, scroll down the page to see his videos on adjusting the flex nib and cleaning hints.
http://www.gouletpens.com/Bumblebee_Noodlers_Flex_Nib_Fountain_Pen_p/n17011.htm

brando090
October 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM

Something vintage is what i was getting at, as i believe the Creaper is more of a semi-flex. But still better than a nail :)

penultress
October 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I bought one of those last week. It is fun to use and gives a slightly different writing experience with the ability to produce thick or thin lines depending on the pressure applied to the nib.

Brian Goulet from GouletPens has some helpful videos on using them, scroll down the page to see his videos on adjusting the flex nib and cleaning hints.
http://www.gouletpens.com/Bumblebee_Noodlers_Flex_Nib_Fountain_Pen_p/n17011.htm

I love writing with this pen! I'll have a look at the site. That's where I ordered mine, too.

penultress
October 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Something vintage is what i was getting at, as i believe the Creaper is more of a semi-flex. But still better than a nail :)

By chance, I AM waiting on a few vintage pens! I'm very excited. As I mentioned, they are lever fills so it will be another system for me to learn.