PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Crimson

Chrissy
May 28th, 2015, 04:43 AM
I have decided to review some of my inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is Diamine Crimson. I would call it a bright, blood red. It's a well behaved, saturated ink with plenty of shading. I found it flowed smoothly across the page, and had no problems with lubrication in the 2 pens I used. It looks really bright in the 1.1 nib.

This ink shows through and bleeds through on my thick paper, so I tried it on some cheaper paper. Showthrough and bleedthrough are both noticeable on there.

I also tried this ink in my Pilot CH74 pen with F nib. That nib is like a nail and it needs adjusting because it's too scratchy. However, when using it on the thick Xerox ColorPrint paper, I spotted a little dark, almost black, spread around some of my down-strokes, specifically on letters 'I' and 'L.' This was very faint, and it didn't show up on the scan, but it was there. I didn't see similar spread with the Lamy pens I used on this review sheet. I think that the scratchy Pilot F nib dug into the paper more, and that caused the ink to spread. It was probably the way I write. :(

It flows through the pen well and lubricates the nib smoothly across the paper.
I saw no skips or hard starts from either of the pens that both stayed uncapped while I did ink comparisons and swabs.
Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, and the nib used was a M, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry.
The water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink.
It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic refill bottles. It's also available in cartridges.
Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
It's a reasonable price

Cob
May 28th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Yes, I have Crimson, and it is nice although in truth I prefer Diamine's Oxblood and Grape.

Rgds

Cob

Chrissy
May 28th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Yes, I have Crimson, and it is nice although in truth I prefer Diamine's Oxblood and Grape.

Rgds

Cob

If I could only have Red Dragon or Crimson, I would have Red Dragon.

Oxblood is different because it's much darker and has brown in it. It's like comparing the colour of old dried blood to that of fresh blood. :)